Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Constantine (TV Series)

Comments

• Options
    shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457
    Different strokes for different folks. In all honesty it won't make or break your world as it is not even the 2nd best comic adaption this TV season. If it was set up as a event like Agent Carter you'd watch it but because it was designed as an on-going you will not? Not getting that rationale but C'est La Vie.

I do think your rationale will need adjustment in this Netflix, basic cable, non-network world. There will be more Burn Notice 13 episode mini-seasons and Sherlock with three 100 minute episodes a "season" than traditional NCIS 23 episode season. I think TV is better for that.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    I would, and that would, give me incentive to watch now, especially if it's going to move to another network, as rumored.

And I don't need to adjust anything. I have netflix. Length of the seasons has nothing to do it it. Not sure why you think I have a problem with that.

If anything, I have too much other tv to watch or catch up on (old and new) to concern myself with a failed/cancelled show, if that is what Constantine becomes.

Heck, I did that with Hannibal. I figured it would get cancelled in it's first season, and there'd be no point in watching. Lo and behold, it git renewed, and is heading for a third season. Now I can Netflix that sucker.

I don't know if a lot of people do what I do, but I know I'm certainly not the only one. (Perhaps one too many times burned by failed series? :p)
  • Options

I would, and that would, give me incentive to watch now, especially if it's going to move to another network, as rumored.

And I don't need to adjust anything. I have netflix. Length of the seasons has nothing to do it it. Not sure why you think I have a problem with that.

If anything, I have too much other tv to watch or catch up on (old and new) to concern myself with a failed/cancelled show, if that is what Constantine becomes.

Heck, I did that with Hannibal. I figured it would get cancelled in it's first season, and there'd be no point in watching. Lo and behold, it git renewed, and is heading for a third season. Now I can Netflix that sucker.

I don't know if a lot of people do what I do, but I know I'm certainly not the only one. (Perhaps one too many times burned by failed series? :p)

On continued series, I tend to either wait or, if it's a cable drama, look to see how much the network is behind it. One of the problems we are starting to see in TV production is that networks like the continued drama, but syndication does not. It's the same for the single camera sitcoms like "Modern Family" or "The Office". Lost did great on network but fizzled in syndication because...well...who has time to make sure they sit down to watch it every day?

CSI, NCIS, Law and Order all work well in syndication because they can be run in any order, you can catch one here and there and still know what's going on, and (for comedies like Sienfeld and BBT), there are jokes instead of humorous situations. Netflix does VERY well with continued dramas like Breaking Bad, but A&E had to eat those millions they spent to get The Sopranos.
  • Options
    I don't have the patience you guys have. If I'm going to watch a series, I want to see it now, not months or years later. If it doesn't live up to my expectations, then I'll dump it, but I'm willing to give it a chance at the outset. If I'm not watching a series already, then I'm not likely to be watching it at all. (Or it's available through other media that I don't have access to and I have to wait to get it through Netflix.)
  • Options

I don't have the patience you guys have. If I'm going to watch a series, I want to see it now, not months or years later. If it doesn't live up to my expectations, then I'll dump it, but I'm willing to give it a chance at the outset. If I'm not watching a series already, then I'm not likely to be watching it at all. (Or it's available through other media that I don't have access to and I have to wait to get it through Netflix.)

I still have last season of Orphan Black on my DVR...I don't have TIME to watch everything I want to.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881

I still have last season of Orphan Black on my DVR...I don't have TIME to watch everything I want to.
    Make time!*

(*I'm a little biased when it comes to that one.)
  • Options
    David_D said:

Make time!*

Oh, I know. I want to watch it before season 3 starts... The ONLY show I am caught up on is Justified. You do NOT want to see my DVR.

• Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881

David_D said:

Make time!*

Oh, I know. I want to watch it before season 3 starts... The ONLY show I am caught up on is Justified. You do NOT want to see my DVR.

I did see your DVR.

It was sitting in a dive bar. Unwatched. Making bad choices.

• Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511

I absolutely agree with this. I also feel like waiting to see if it gets picked is asking the series to be cancelled due to lack of support on the front end.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Well the final episode aired. It was decent. But I am not a fan of the ending.
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Posts: 308
    I really enjoyed this series and I hope it gets renewed somewhere. It's been my favourite of all the comic book shows on TV currently and I think NBC did a good job with a more mature tone for a comic book character.

It helps that they had a great well of storylines to draw from, as most of it came from Alan Moore's Swamp Thing and Jamie Delano's early Hellblazer comics. I had a nice time ticking off characters and plot points from my recollection of those stories.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    I'd check out more if it continues but I won't be sad if this one goes away.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    And yet many comic fans apparently avoid mini-series and that seems to be a perfectly acceptable response...
  • Options
    I heard the finale was a bit lackluster. Any truth to that?
  • Options
    ChrisMurrinChrisMurrin Posts: 256
    I enjoyed the show more and more as it went along. The finale left some pretty big cliffhangers, but I had a great time with it. If there are any more episodes, I will definitely watch.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    I'm not sure what I want to do with this if it comes back. Depends on what else comes out next season. I wasn't overly impressed but I'll be happy for people who enjoyed it if the show comes back.
  • Options
    RepoManRepoMan Posts: 327
    I definitely enjoyed this and hope it comes back in some form. It was a great intro for me since I'm not a big Constantine comic book reader. But now it's made me want to read his original appearances and titles. Sounds like a good win for the movie to comics column.
  • Options
    pfinneganpfinnegan Posts: 32
    I loved it. It's a very true representation of the books with its own voice. I think the season finale was more intended to be a "mid-season" finale, so that may explain why it wasn't as impactful as episode 22 or 23 might have been. (For the record, I'm much more in favor of 13-episode seasons a la HBO or FX, but it's understandable if Constantinr wasn't planned this way initially). I'm hoping it comes back, but I won't be surprised if it doesn't.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    Canceled.

From CBR.com:

After the show spent months lingering in limbo, "Constantine" has officially been cancelled by NBC, according to a Tweet from creator Daniel Cerone.

Premiering in October with 4.28 million viewers, "Constantine" boasts a vocal fanbase and decent reviews, but hasn't been able to find an audience on Friday nights (the fabled “death slot”). The series wasn't among the network's initial early renewals and there has been talk that it would move to NBC's sister network Syfy. In his Tweet, Cerone seems hopeful that such a deal can still rescue the show.
  • Options
    CageNarleighCageNarleigh Posts: 729
    It's still being shopped around by Warner Bros for a new home though I hear. Definitely done with NBC. But still looking for another home (more than just SyFy).
  • Options
    I hope it gets picked up by another place. Not sure I will follow it but I know people online who really enjoyed it so I hope it finds a new home. I think the guy who plays Constantine was really good.
  • Options
    if gets picked up by another network, I'll give the fIrst season a shot.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    I hope somebody picks it up for a second season. I'm not big on horror shows or movies, and I'm not the biggest Constantine fan... but I thought the show was damn good, and I looked forward to it each week.
  • Options
    I thought it was good but not great. For all it's pros, this was more or less Supernatural lite without the cool dynamic between Dean and Sam. I liked that the show aired along with Grimm but I did feel at times the show was a bit uneven. Somehow, I think SyFy could do the show justice that NBC couldn't.
  • Options
    They need to address the problems with the series. There are perfectly good reasons it struggled to find an audience. It may have worked for some people, but it actually had no soul.

The NBC version of Hellblazer was a righteous crusader going out of his way to save the day. Delivering platitudes about the nature of good and evil to every villain he encountered. This version of Constantine was clean and accessible while the one that we've known for years was defined by his bad habits and poor decisions.

The Vertigo/DC John Constantine is a self-serving, manipulative jerk, a really nasty piece of work who also has a habit of getting all of his friends and allies killed. There’s a reason why Swamp Thing still hates Constantine. He’s also a guilt-ridden anti-hero who knows better than anyone else that he’s a ticking time bomb. So when he’s called into action to battle a demon, he does so reluctantly. And usually his greatest weapon is his mouth.

The NBC version was squeaky clean and free of vice (NO smoking) and never appeared as though he'd been battling demons for years. He looked fresh off the Comic-Con cosplay floor. The scoundrel was turned into a superhero. And the complexity of the character found in the comics was lost in the show. That is why NBC's adequate procedural featuring a bland character with potential was eventually cancelled.

Change the name to 'John Constantine: Hellblazer' and make him more like Don from Mad Men and add the hyper-violence of Hannibal and they might have something worth watching or picking up.
  • Options
    RepoManRepoMan Posts: 327
    As someone who actually watched Constantine, caught up about a few weeks ago on the last few episodes, this version was not squeaky clean. He had a past of doing drugs. And he absolutely smoked in the episodes. He would kick a butt away, or start to light up with a lighter. And then in one of the last eps, he's sitting on a cop car or back of an ambulance smoking. If you missed that, you probably didn't see the show - so I don't think the rest of your post has much cred. Haha.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    jaydee74 said:

I thought it was good but not great. For all it's pros, this was more or less Supernatural lite without the cool dynamic between Dean and Sam. I liked that the show aired along with Grimm but I did feel at times the show was a bit uneven. Somehow, I think SyFy could do the show justice that NBC couldn't.

Given that I don't care at all for Supernatural, I see the differences between the two shows to be a definite plus for Constantine.
  • Options
    RepoMan said:

As someone who actually watched Constantine, caught up about a few weeks ago on the last few episodes, this version was not squeaky clean. He had a past of doing drugs. And he absolutely smoked in the episodes. He would kick a butt away, or start to light up with a lighter. And then in one of the last eps, he's sitting on a cop car or back of an ambulance smoking. If you missed that, you probably didn't see the show - so I don't think the rest of your post has much cred. Haha.

Definitely did not stick around for its entirety. Made up my mind rather early. Sorry you don't think any of the post has cred. I suppose you thought it was a very good representation of Hellblazer.

• Options

jaydee74 said:

Given that I don't care at all for Supernatural, I see the differences between the two shows to be a definite plus for Constantine.
    That's good if you're not a fan of the show. I like Supernatural so it was hard not to compare it and not see it as good but more as a "lite" version. It wasn't bad and if they get picked up at another network, I would try it out again.