Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

DC Convergence (Spoilers)

I don't get #0 or #1 until my next DCBS shipment (I think I only ordered those two to start), but I was curious for those of you reading off the rack-- what do you think so far?

Comments

• Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    My reaction so far - savagely decompressed. Storyline has potential, but the pricepoint is really pushing it (so far) for the amount of story in the first issue. #0, at least had the back matter.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    David_D said:

I don't get #0 or #1 until my next DCBS shipment (I think I only ordered those two to start), but I was curious for those of you reading off the rack-- what do you think so far?

I'm waiting on my monthly shipment for these as well @David_D , but like you I am curious of what I can expect.
    hauberk said:

My reaction so far - savagely decompressed. Storyline has potential, but the pricepoint is really pushing it (so far) for the amount of story in the first issue. #0, at least had the back matter.

@hauberk, by "back matter" do you mean sketches, correspondence, maps, timelines, editorials, letters column, or actual in-story vignettes? It's been so long since I cracked open an ongoing DC title, I'm unsure of their interpretation.

• Options
    0 had several pages with little text pieces on the worlds represented on Telos. If you're longtime DC, there's probably not a lot of new info, but there a a number of things that left me enthused - Earth C, for instance.
  • Options
    I read a few DC books (JLA, Injustice, Grayson ...) but I'm primarily a Marvel/Image guy, so excuse my ignorance, but was there some sort of build-up in other DC books about this deal with Brainiac capturing different parts of the multi-verse for his little gladiator fight?
  • Options

David_D said:

I'm waiting on my monthly shipment for these as well @David_D , but like you I am curious of what I can expect.
    hauberk said:

@hauberk, by "back matter" do you mean sketches, correspondence, maps, timelines, editorials, letters column, or actual in-story vignettes? It's been so long since I cracked open an ongoing DC title, I'm unsure of their interpretation.
    I explained the backmatter in another thread... let me go copy it...

"...there are 11 pages of a Who's Who in Convergence [#0]... with the first page being an introductory couple paragraphs and the remaining 10 having 4 small paragraphs each describing the city and universe, with the final 10th page having 5. That equals 41 cities. Is that the exact number of 2 issue books coming out this and next month?"

The "backmatter" in Convergence #1 is the same introductory page with couple of paragraphs, and then just two pages with 4 city/world, for a total of 8 city/worlds.

That makes 49. Will each of the remaining 7 issues have 8 more? That would equal 105 cities/worlds.

Additionally, a further description for the blurb, and image, for each of these city/world besides the small paragraph (maybe just one sentence), is that it says what title/issue first had this city/world in it. The image is the cover of that issue.
  • Options
    i_am_scifii_am_scifi Posts: 784
    I bought Convergence: Superman #1 at JHU Comics at a slight discount ($3.40 instead of $3.99). Dan Jurgens still knows the character of Superman amazingly well, and this is some of the best Lee Weeks art I've seen in recent memory. And I'm already a Lee Weeks fan.

If you didn't pick it up and you are at all a fan of Pre-Flashpoint Superman, I suggest you pick this up.
  • Options

David_D said:

hauberk said:

I explained the backmatter in another thread... let me go copy it...

"...there are 11 pages of a Who's Who in Convergence [#0]... with the first page being an introductory couple paragraphs and the remaining 10 having 4 small paragraphs each describing the city and universe, with the final 10th page having 5. That equals 41 cities. Is that the exact number of 2 issue books coming out this and next month?"

The "backmatter" in Convergence #1 is the same introductory page with couple of paragraphs, and then just two pages with 4 city/world, for a total of 8 city/worlds.

That makes 49. Will each of the remaining 7 issues have 8 more? That would equal 105 cities/worlds.

Additionally, a further description for the blurb, and image, for each of these city/world besides the small paragraph (maybe just one sentence), is that it says what title/issue first had this city/world in it. The image is the cover of that issue.
    I didn't look terribly close at the back matter in the #1 - it looked enough like what was in #0, that I skimmed over it assuming that it was just the relevant pages from #0.
  • Options
    malkiimalkii Posts: 2
    I have is 0 and 1, but I haven't read issue 1 yet. Issue 0 was ok. Nothing to knock my socks off. But I am really looking forward to get to read some of my favorite characters again in this story.
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure the 8 city/worlds in the backmatter in issue #1 are different/new in comparison to issue #0.
  • Options
    popestupopestu Posts: 782
    0 and 1 were pretty good. I'll collect the core series. However, I got Superman 1 and Speedforce 1. Superman was good but Speedforce did nothing for me. I think I'll wait for the trade or a cheap digital deal to read the other titles.
  • Options
    RepoManRepoMan Posts: 327
    Two issues in and I'm very lukewarm. It has a been there done that feel. And now I'm worried about Secret Wars too. Luckily I only invested in the first few issues of the main titles of each. I'll cherry pick the rest. I almost wonder if you could just pick up the first and final issues and have enough of the story without all the padding. Haha.
  • Options
    @RepoMan
    I wonder how long it will be until they wind up in the cheapy box?
  • Options
    Stupid Question: Are all of the off-shoot Convergence books related to Brainiac's little Multiverse Bracketology Tournament he's holding?
  • Options

Stupid Question: Are all of the off-shoot Convergence books related to Brainiac's little Multiverse Bracketology Tournament he's holding?

Besides Convergence #0 and #1, I've only read the Speed Force issue so far. I picked up three others from the first week. I'm only asked my LCS to pull two others, Detective and Question, and I hope to pick up off the racks Man of Steel. I'm glad I read Speed Force first, I think, because it explained better what's going on, compared to the main title, at least.

In a more direct answer to your question, I think so. I don't see it going from quarter-finals, to semi-finals, finals, like most brackets would, as there doesn't seem to be enough time for that. But every non-main title is supposed to be a match-up between two different cities/worlds/universes.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Read issue 2 today. It is an improvement over issue 1. The Earth 2 refugees continue to be the focus, am I'm alright with that. Old ruins underground...jinkies
    I also read JLI 1. I liked it. It wasn't great, but it was good. Having them battle the Kingdom Come JLA is fitting. The JLI were the original post - crisis JL and the KC group were the last incarnation of the post - crisis JL.
    Seeing Ted always makes me happy.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Somebody help me out here, but didn't DC specifically state somewhere that NO New 52 characters would be taking part in the Convergence event?

• Options
    I don't remember that, but maybe they meant no main Earth, prime or what number(?) - post Flashpoint is how CBDB describes it. So therefore Earth 2 people would be taking part. And apparently there's some spoiler for Convergence which I'm avoiding that's in solicitations for the Earth 2 book coming out in June.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    popestu said:

Read issue 2 today. It is an improvement over issue 1. The Earth 2 refugees continue to be thebfocus, am I'm alright with that. Old ruins underground...jinkies
    I also read JLI 1. I liked it. It wasn't great, but it was good. Having them battle the Kingdom Come JLA is fitting. The JLI were the original post - crisis JL and the KC group were the last incarnation of the post - crisis JL.

Wasn't the grown-up Titans version of the JLA (the one with Shazam! and Congorilla) the last incarnation of the post-Crisis JLA?
  • Options

popestu said:

Read issue 2 today. It is an improvement over issue 1. The Earth 2 refugees continue to be thebfocus, am I'm alright with that. Old ruins underground...jinkies

Wasn't the grown-up Titans version of the JLA (the one with Shazam! and Congorilla) the last incarnation of the post-Crisis JLA?
    Maybe. I also realized that Morrison's One Million has a future version. However, I feel the KC crew were the final incarnation of the original members (even if their ranks swelled with newer, legacy members) . The Titans JL are the next generation taking up the mantle.

Another way to look at it is the JLI were the first JL of the Grim-n-gritty era (ironically, they were neither grim nor gritty...unless you count Breakdowns...) and the JL KC were the "Twilight of the God's " of the Grim-n-gritty era. A sort of alpha and omega, if you will.
  • Options

I bought Convergence: Superman #1 at JHU Comics at a slight discount ($3.40 instead of $3.99). Dan Jurgens still knows the character of Superman amazingly well, and this is some of the best Lee Weeks art I've seen in recent memory. And I'm already a Lee Weeks fan.

If you didn't pick it up and you are at all a fan of Pre-Flashpoint Superman, I suggest you pick this up.

Superman so far has been the very best and worst of the Convergence titles.

The best because this 'IS' Superman to most of us. You immediately connect with this Superman and get what his motivations, principals, and ethics are. He is confident, loving, and strong.

The worst because it shows how poorly the New 52 Superman has been written. As a reader of all Superman titles, I struggle to understand the need to make Superman this flawed, conflicted person post relaunch. Superman is meant to represent all that is good in humanity. Superman is confident and sure of his position. While he isn't infallible, Superman was/is the embodiment of the American ideals. I am not sure how that got lost...
  • Options

The best because this 'IS' Superman to most of us. You immediately connect with this Superman and get what his motivations, principals, and ethics are. He is confident, loving, and strong.

The worst because it shows how poorly the New 52 Superman has been written. As a reader of all Superman titles, I struggle to understand the need to make Superman this flawed, conflicted person post relaunch. Superman is meant to represent all that is good in humanity. Superman is confident and sure of his position. While he isn't infallible, Superman was/is the embodiment of the American ideals. I am not sure how that got lost...
    Wow!

You put that most succinctly! I totally agree.
  • Options

Yes @TheOriginalGMan. Convergence is all the characters and their places snatched out of time (prior to a life ending event) and placed under the dome.
  • Options

Wow!

You put that most succinctly! I totally agree.
    Thanks @Chuck_Melville. It never really hit me that hard until I read this issue. My best guess is this conflict in character is very 'in your face' when bouncing between the Convergence titles.

To say that I am not optimistic after seeing the over-muscled-t-shirt wearing-motorcycle riding - Superman that is coming after Convergence would be an understatement.
  • Options
    I actually enjoyed the t-shirt and jeans version of Superman that Grant Morrison was doing at the beginning of the New 52, but I always saw that as a transitional thing. Ultimately, I wound up liking it better than the armor he wound up getting...
  • Options
    DmanDman Posts: 163
    Like most of these "events", I'm only reading the main books. I've read Convergence 0 and 1 and quite frankly, was underwhelmed. I may check out some DC books after Convergence and only the ones that has a Pre-Flashpoint continuity but I've pretty much resigned myself to as long as Dan DiDon't is at DC, the old Pre-Flashpoint DC that I loved so much has a very, very slim chance of fully returning.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,621
    edited April 2015
    Ok this a little off topic, but is bob harras still dc's EIC?

Looking at the creative changes and new comics coming post convergence has me wondering about his position ar DC. And now dc announced that one of the top editors at archie is going to be over the superman family books.

I've got zero knowledge, but it appears that he is on his way out.
  • Options
    RepoManRepoMan Posts: 327
    Okay, another week, another issue - yup. Definitely looking like I can skip the remainder of the issues and just read the last one. Which is fine - DC has been promoting this for awhile as just a glorified skip week kind of event from before. Like Sins of the Youth or the Mark Waid Silver Age from years back. I'll pick up the rest at the next Emerald City Con or some other small con around here. It has been fun seeing all the covers of the tie-ins though!
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

Ok this a little off topic, but is bob harras still dc's EIC?

Looking at the creative changes and new comics coming post convergence has me wondering about his position ar DC. And now dc announced that one of the top editors at archie is going to be over the superman family books.

I've got zero knowledge, but it appears that he is on his way out.

It seems like it, according to Wikipedia - Bob Harras.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,621
    When you start looking at post convergence dc, it doesn't look very Harras-y. Which seems to me that he has either changed his comics philosphy in dramtic fashion, or losing traction within dc.

I'm more inclined to believe the later. I started having this feeling the minute I heard gene leun yang was writing superman. I would not be suprised if he steps down at dc within the next 6 months.
  • Options
    DmanDman Posts: 163
    RepoMan said:

Okay, another week, another issue - yup. Definitely looking like I can skip the remainder of the issues and just read the last one.

Sounds like a great idea RepoMan, because I was quite bored with the first two issues of the main book.