Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Suicide Squad - The Movie *Now with spoilers*

Comments

• Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    I'm not too concerned about whether I know the actor or not - all I want are good movies that are at least semi-cognizant of the source material. This doesn't mean you can't make changes to said material, but do so with an awareness that it exists.
  • Options
    kgforcekgforce Posts: 326
    edited December 2014
    Matt said:

I have to say, does anyone notice the business model for acting talent between DCCU & MCU? With a couple exceptions, it seems like Marvel Studios is casting characters with virtually lesser known actors/actresses.
    M

I think in regards to GOTG and Suicide Squad, the casting is about the same level of known vs (relatively) unknown actors.

The only BIG name in Suicide Squad is Will Smith. And I think he and his agent have realized that he can't carry a movie any longer.

And if you look at the MCU vs DCU list of actors, I'd say the casting levels are about equal there, too. It seems that overall DC is using lesser known names for the title characters, but using higher profile actors for supporting roles.

DCU: Ben Affleck, Henry Cavill, Gal Gadot, Ezra Miller, Ray Fisher, Jason Momoa
    MCU: RDJ, Chris Evans, Mark Ruffalo, Scarlett Johannson, Jeremy Renner, Benedict Cumberbatch
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    Suicide Squad makes it feel like they're going with bigger names more than Marvel. I know they're not all A-list actors, but Will Smith, Tom Hardy, Jared Leto and Viola Davis are already a bigger-name line-up than GOTG, in my opinion.

But kgforce is right, once you count Ben Affleck as their RDJ, the rest of the heroic leads are, if anything, even lesser known than Marvel's.
  • Options
    kgforcekgforce Posts: 326
    edited December 2014
    I think the Will Smith casting (and the talk about Oprah) is skewing the perception of casting. Jared Leto might be coming off an Oscar win, but I've never even seen him act before. Looking at the list from IMDB, and I think overall, the GOTG casting actually has more "star power". I had to look up Viola Davis... I didn't realize that I had seen her in The Help and Ender's Game. I think she will be terrific (if it turns out to be true).

FYI, we (wife, son, daughter) watched GOTG last night - it's my favorite MCU movie. The wife loved it (she hadn't seen it before).

GOTG:
    Chris Pratt
    Zoe Saldana
    Dave Bautista
    Vin Diesel (voice)
    Bradley Cooper (voice)
    Lee Pace
    Michael Rooker
    Karen Gillan
    Djimon Hounsou
    John C. Reilly
    Glenn Close
    Benicio Del Toro

SUICIDE SQUAD:
    Tom Hardy
    Margot Robbie
    Jai Courtney
    Jared Leto
    Will Smith
    Cara Delevingne
    Jesse Eisenberg (rumored)
    Viola Davis
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457

Matt said:

I have to say, does anyone notice the business model for acting talent between DCCU & MCU? With a couple exceptions, it seems like Marvel Studios is casting characters with virtually lesser known actors/actresses.

DCCU, with a couple exceptions, seems to be casting A (or more known) actors/actresses. Maybe it's just me, but I look at the cast for Suicide Squad & I see more known actors (rumored) filling roles then, say GOTG did with their lesser known characters.

For some reason, I'm more impressed with Marvel's casting model then DCCU. I can see most of their casting returning (if they haven't already) for cameos or supporting roles in other movies. I don't get that feeling with Will Smith or Tom Hardy.

M

I enjoy lesser-known actors, since I can fully immerse myself into the film. Although good acting/story can make me forget about who's who.
    Depends on the role. If it's a movie role, I can mostly forget who the actor is & focus on the character. I already know when I see Affleck as Batman, I'm going to think "thats Ben Affleck." I had the same issue with Clooney.

That's why I prefer lesser knowns to fill the roles. Plus, get them before they make it big & lock them up for sequels & cameos cheaper. I'm not convinced Smith (if signed) will do that.

M
  • Options
    chrisw said:

Suicide Squad makes it feel like they're going with bigger names more than Marvel. I know they're not all A-list actors, but Will Smith, Tom Hardy, Jared Leto and Viola Davis are already a bigger-name line-up than GOTG, in my opinion.

But kgforce is right, once you count Ben Affleck as their RDJ, the rest of the heroic leads are, if anything, even lesser known than Marvel's.

I think that's a little skewed. RDJ now, yes. RDJ when Iron Man was released, no. IM re-energized his celebrity status to the current Affleck level.

M
  • Options
    kgforce said:

I think the Will Smith casting (and the talk about Oprah) is skewing the perception of casting. Jared Leto might be coming off an Oscar win, but I've never even seen him act before. Looking at the list from IMDB, and I think overall, the GOTG casting actually has more "star power". I had to look up Viola Davis... I didn't realize that I had seen her in The Help and Ender's Game. I think she will be terrific (if it turns out to be true).

FYI, we (wife, son, daughter) watched GOTG last night - it's my favorite MCU movie. The wife loved it (she hadn't seen it before).

GOTG:
    Chris Pratt
    Zoe Saldana
    Dave Bautista
    Vin Diesel (voice)
    Bradley Cooper (voice)
    Lee Pace
    Michael Rooker
    Karen Gillan
    Djimon Hounsou
    John C. Reilly
    Glenn Close
    Benicio Del Toro

SUICIDE SQUAD:
    Tom Hardy
    Margot Robbie
    Jai Courtney
    Jared Leto
    Will Smith
    Cara Delevingne
    Jesse Eisenberg (rumored)
    Viola Davis

Do you think the draw for GotG was the cast or the Marvel brand? I had zero interest to see the movie in the theatre. My non-comic booking wife saw "Marvel Studios" and told me she wanted to see the movie.

I feel like the DCCU is looking to load the cast instead of having faith in the brand/characters.

M
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    Matt said:

chrisw said:

I think that's a little skewed. RDJ now, yes. RDJ when Iron Man was released, no. IM re-energized his celebrity status to the current Affleck level.

M
    You make a good point, but I don't think they're that far off in esteem. They've both had their ups and downs, though admittedly DC has cast Affleck when he's definitely on an upswing, whereas Downey was tentatively coming back when Marvel got a hold of him.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    I'm just waiting for the return of Suicide Squid.

• Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    chrisw said:

I was actually a little impressed they got Smith to do A) a comic book franchise, and B) join as part of an ensemble cast. He wouldn't even do Django Unchained because he didn't want to share billing with DiCaprio (and may have even wanted Christoph Waltz's character written out, if rumors are true).

True, but things have changed a little since then...Will Smith last few movies haven't been as successful at the box office, now he might be a little more open to it.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited January 2015
    Well. Time to update that cast list--

Tom Hardy Drops Out of Suicide Squad.

There are rumors that Jake Gyllenhaal is being courted to replace him. Which would be an interesting change. They are both fine actors. But very different ones.
  • Options
    Obviously Deadshot and Suicide Squad are some of my favorite characters, and I'm not buying Will Smith either. I don't care about color, I just don't think he can play chain smoking nihilistic stone cold killer in a believable fashion. He's a great actor, he's just never played anything like that before and I don't want to see the character changed to fit the actor.

On that same note they better make Waller heavy again, "The Wall" doesn't work as a nick name if you don't have enough lead in your ass to push a wheelbarrow uphill.
  • Options

Obviously Deadshot and Suicide Squad are some of my favorite characters, and I'm not buying Will Smith either. I don't care about color, I just don't think he can play chain smoking nihilistic stone cold killer in a believable fashion. He's a great actor, he's just never played anything like that before and I don't want to see the character changed to fit the actor.

On that same note they better make Waller heavy again, "The Wall" doesn't work as a nick name if you don't have enough lead in your ass to push a wheelbarrow uphill.

I believe she's already been cast.

M
  • Options
    I think she's rumored to be played by Viola Davis.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    edited January 2015
    It's not like Marvel has cast absolutely nobody with any name recognition in their movies though. When you look at their movies, they have casted big name actors like Robert Downey Jr., Samuel L. Jackson, Robert Redford, Tommy Lee Jones, Glenn Close, John C. Reilly, Rene Russo, Natalie Portman, Anthony Hopkins and others. It's not like Marvel is getting no names for their movies. I simply think they are taking a lot more consideration when it comes to their casting than DC does.
  • Options
    jaydee74 said:

It's not like Marvel has cast absolutely nobody with any name recognition in their movies though. When you look at their movies, they have casted big name actors like Robert Downey Jr., Samuel L. Jackson, Robert Redford, Tommy Lee Jones, Glenn Close, John C. Reilly, Rene Russo, Natalie Portman, Anthony Hopkins and others. It's not like Marvel is getting no names for their movies. I simply think they are taking a lot more consideration when it comes to their casting than DC does.

Itcould be argued that with the exception of RDJ (and Paul Rudd), your list is composed of supporting cast roles. The Suicide Squad would be an ensemble casting.

M
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    edited January 2015
    True enough. I would argue the status of Samuel L. Jackson who has appeared in just about all of the Marvel movies thus far. Maybe in a limited role but he's there in just about all of them. I would consider Scarlett Johanson as a big name actress who is featured in these movies as well. Also, you have Zoe Saldana as Gamora. I would consider her to be a hot actress in terms of her body of work. As well as Bradley Cooper and Vin Diesel. Granted they are in voice-over roles but there names bring in an audience. You also had Hugo Weaving as the Red Skull who I feel brings in an audience with all of his past geek roles.

In the long run, Marvel is just very good at casting their roles. They bring in talent of various levels of recognition which in turn brings in an audience although at this point, you slap that Marvel Studios logo and people will give it a chance.
  • Options
    JaxUrJaxUr Posts: 547
    edited January 2015
    Joe Manganiello (True Blood) is rumored to be up for the role of Deathstroke:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uYaZZtm7wk

Supposedly he was a runner-up to Henry Cavill for "Man of Steel."
  • Options
    JaxUrJaxUr Posts: 547
    edited March 2015
    Scott Eastwood has been cast as Steve Trevor in the upcoming Suicide Squad film. Also, listen to Jared Leto try out a possible Joker voice in the clip below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRmJLqbhP_c
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    I'm still a bit "meh" on this whole project...

Here's the Leto-Joker.

• Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    I'm more excited for this movie than I am for BvS.
  • Options
    mphilmphil Posts: 448
    I'm not trying to get my hopes too high. Just a fun summer action movie is all I expect.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    kgforce said:

I like it.

I mean, look. It's a big choice. And in some ways it is a very specific choice. But there have been a lot of big, different, striking looks for the Joker, across various media, over the years. I think he should be different each time. And a thing to be designed and fit to the rest of the book/movie/video game/whatever. Just like I like how many different interpretations of Batman, the Batcave, the Batmobile, and Gotham itself over the years. The Joker, especially, should be mercurial. Inconsistent. Perhaps never the same twice. Chaotic. Like the game they played in The Dark Knight film (and I doubt this was their innovation, I'm sure writers in comics played with this before Nolan and Goyer) that the Joker kept telling conflicting origin stories for himself.

It may be that this is the kind of Joker that best fits what is essentially a supervillain prison movie. We'll see if it works. But I like that they made a big choice, and made him very different than the Heath Ledger Joker. I think it is smart to make a big distinction, as no matter what those performances will be compared. (Just like Ledger was always going to be compared to Nicholson, so it was on them to make a big, different choice from the '89 Joker).

You know what is really weird, though? Is that the link to an article about this new Joker is on a blog at Forbes. FORBES? Isn't that a magazine about finance and golf? A reminder of how mainstream these comic book movies have become.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited April 2015
    I like the look.

I do wish there was some sort of distortion to his mouth. Whether it's caused by chemicals or razor blades I like the idea that the Joker has a smile that's deformed and frightening - not sure metal teeth is it.

• Options
    I got to admit, I wasn't really interested in seeing this movie from the moment I heard the squad line up. Although I'm not fond of the look for this Joker (which I'm sure fits perfectly with what they're doing in the movie), I was off this train long before they released this photo.

M