Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice (Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    edited May 2015

Like most of the New 52 and most of Zack Snyder's work, DC appears to value style and flash over substance and storytelling.

I've never watched Style, so I can't say much about it, but Flash seems to be pretty popular, so why wouldn't they value it?
    Heh-heh. I'll play along.

I've wondered the same thing since they announced a Flash movie starring a different Flash actor than the guy that currently stars on their hit show. Imagine if Marvel had done that with the Hulk while Bixby and Ferrigno were doing the TV show. Ridiculous.
    Yeah, this has never occurred prior to this instance. I always wondered how Tom Welling found time to film episodes for Smallville AND Superman Returns!

M
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Matt said:

Like most of the New 52 and most of Zack Snyder's work, DC appears to value style and flash over substance and storytelling.

I've never watched Style, so I can't say much about it, but Flash seems to be pretty popular, so why wouldn't they value it?
    Heh-heh. I'll play along.

I've wondered the same thing since they announced a Flash movie starring a different Flash actor than the guy that currently stars on their hit show. Imagine if Marvel had done that with the Hulk while Bixby and Ferrigno were doing the TV show. Ridiculous.
    I do remember your uprising over 2 different Clark Kents when Superman Returns and Smallville were available in theatres and the small screen!

M
    Heh.

Uprising.

"The Bralinators are restless! Call out the militia!"
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    I know we all laugh at the notion of people being confused by multiple versions of the same character, but I can still recall my mother-in-law watching Batman Begins on TV just three years ago turning to me about 30 minutes in and asking where George Clooney was.
  • Options
    chrisw said:

I know we all laugh at the notion of people being confused by multiple versions of the same character, but I can still recall my mother-in-law watching Batman Begins on TV just three years ago turning to me about 30 minutes in and asking where George Clooney was.

Doesn't your mother-in-law ask where George Clooney is every time she watches a movie?

He makes everything better.

:x
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    WetRats said:

chrisw said:

Doesn't your mother-in-law ask where George Clooney is every time she watches a movie?

He makes everything better.

:x
    She was only watching the movie because she wanted to see George Clooney. This was literally opening weekend for The Dark Knight Rises, yet she apparently lives in a universe in which George Clooney spent 15 years making follow-ups to Batman and Robin.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    WetRats said:

How can "they" possibly understand that Sherlock Holmes is Robert Downey Jr, AND Benedict Cumberbatch AND Jonny Lee Miller?

Ridiculous.

:-/

Yes, I never understood why the studios insisted on the same actors to play Mulder and Scully in the X-Files movie either... how dumb.As least we know from these latest revelations that DC knows EXACTLY what they're doing.
  • Options
    34 pages about a movie that still a year away.

Cool.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881

WetRats said:

How can "they" possibly understand that Sherlock Holmes is Robert Downey Jr, AND Benedict Cumberbatch AND Jonny Lee Miller?

Ridiculous.

Yes, I never understood why the studios insisted on the same actors to play Mulder and Scully in the X-Files movie either... how dumb.As least we know from these latest revelations that DC knows EXACTLY what they're doing.
    I'm still pissed that when they made an X-Files movie they didn't use more ideas from the 1940s X-Files radio drama.
  • Options

WetRats said:

Ridiculous.

That's different. That movie was used to bridge a gap between seasons. Like the stories of DC's yesteryears; stories on Earth 2 don't always effect the stories of Earth 5. Why can't the movies & tv shows mirror that?

Has it been confirmed Miller is playing the same character as the guy in the TV series?

M
  • Options

WetRats said:

Ridiculous.

Plus, the bulk of the people who went to see Fight the Future also watched the series. Do you really believe the bulk of the people going to see the DCCU are also watching the TV series?

M
  • Options
    I don't know if casual viewers or moviegoers are that savvy on mutli dimensional earth characters. For instance, if WB had made a Wonder Woman in the late-70's with a different actress than Lynda Carter while her series was on the air, I expect there would've been a bit of a backlash.

Must've been a different era. Or I'm a continuity curmudgeon.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Matt said:

<

Plus, the bulk of the people who went to see Fight the Future also watched the series. Do you really believe the bulk of the people going to see the DCCU are also watching the TV series?

M

So, we're one movie deep into their latest reboot and there's a DCCU, or people going to them?

Or are you counting Green Lantern?

I can see CW's Flash fans attending the movie. Whether or not they care it's an entirely different universe is what the point is. It's a good argument that no one watching Smallville cared whether Brandon Routh or Henry Caville had portrayed the younger version of Clark.
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Matt said:

<

M

So, we're one movie deep into their latest reboot and there's a DCCU, or people going to them?

Or are you counting Green Lantern?

I can see CW's Flash fans attending the movie. Whether or not they care it's an entirely different universe is what the point is. It's a good argument that no one watching Smallville cared whether Brandon Routh or Henry Caville had portrayed the younger version of Clark.
    Yup, the DCCU is a thing starting with Man of Steel.

"DC Comics' shared universe films" on @Wikipedia:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC_Comics'_shared_universe_films?wprov=sfii1

If they're counting only on the ticket sales of people who watch the TV series, I'd say they invested minimal cash into this production.

And even if they cared, will it be a large enough percent of the viewers to really matter?

M
  • Options
    kiwijasekiwijase Posts: 451
    WetRats said:

Ridiculous.

They're all pretenders to the Holmes. To me, it's Jeremy Brett and only Jeremy Brett.

• Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    WetRats said:

David_D said:

Well, if you were to judge by the audience that I saw this trailer with tonight at the Age of Ultron showing, then Batman V Superman is going to blow minds and make all the money in the world.

And, heck. Maybe it will. It was one of those moments when I am reminded that I am "in the bubble" of mostly talking about this with fellow comic super-fans.

(I will maintain, though, that even the mainstream audience weren't all "Yay!!" about Man of Steel. I think that goes beyond just the comic book fans. I think there is a reason why we are getting a Batman V Superman movie instead of a Man of Steel 2.)

But there was a lot of excitement and reaction when that trailer showed.

There was near silence in response to the trailer at the showing I attended.

A touch of muttering and mumbling, but zero enthusiasm.

And this was a theaterful of serious comic fans.

So it was a Yawn of Justice?

• Options
    kiwijase said:

WetRats said:

Ridiculous.

They're all pretenders to the Holmes. To me, it's Jeremy Brett and only Jeremy Brett.

William Gillette.
  • Options

So it was a Yawn of Justice

^:)^
  • Options
    WetRats said:

kiwijase said:

WetRats said:

Ridiculous.

William Gillette.
    Basil Rathbone.
    All other Holmes's have been imposters.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    kiwijase said:

WetRats said:

Ridiculous.

Was that Mystery on PBS.
    Whatever it was, it's pure awesomeness!
  • Options

WetRats said:

kiwijase said:

WetRats said:

Ridiculous.

William Gillette.
    Basil Rathbone.
    All other Holmes's have been imposters.
    While Rathbone was magnificent, Gillette created the role on stage and his portrayal influenced Doyle's later stories of Holmes.
  • Options
    @David_D noted inference when Batman overtook the MoS thread.

This doesn't bode well when Holmes overtakes BvS:DoJ.

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

M

We're 34 pages in.

On a thread that has been busier today that the Age of Ultron thread the day it opened...

A bit of topic drift is to be expected.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    WetRats said:

Matt said:

M

We're 34 pages in.

On a thread that has been busier today that the Age of Ultron thread the day it opened...

I went back and buried a body on page 17.
  • Options
    David_D said:

WetRats said:

Matt said:

M

We're 34 pages in.

That would explain the smell...
  • Options
    David_D said:

WetRats said:

Matt said:

M

We're 34 pages in.

I'm waiting to bury a bone on page 69.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    Matt said:

David_D said:

WetRats said:

Matt said:

M

We're 34 pages in.

Is that code?
  • Options
    RepoManRepoMan Posts: 327

Ha! Some people didn't get the joke.
  • Options
    Matt said:

David_D said:

WetRats said:

Matt said:

M

We're 34 pages in.

Kinky.
  • Options
    monsterswinmonsterswin Posts: 15
    "I wonder do you bleed?" "you will" .....or whatever Batman says. Christ, really! Hoping that is only in the trailer and not in the film. Old Zack Snyder doing it again.
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980

"I wonder do you bleed?" "you will" .....or whatever Batman says. Christ, really! Hoping that is only in the trailer and not in the film. Old Zack Snyder doing it again.

I have a theory that that's not Batman. But we'll see I guess.