Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice (Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    This movie is scheduled to come out one year from today. And here's a pic that was released today of Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luthor, via Bleeding Cool.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879

This movie is scheduled to come out one year from today. And here's a pic that was released today of Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luthor, via Bleeding Cool.

Well, no reason lex luthor should look menacing. Intimidating. Threatening. Or anything like that I guess huh? I suppose someone that appears as though they could effortlessly hack your computer is just as good?

• Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited March 2015
    I don't read a lot of Superman, but hasn't the Luthor always been that his brain is what is dangerous about him? Isn't that why at some points he had his armor? I don't remember him being a hard guy hand to hand. Or someone people are immediately afraid of. Which is part of why there have been many times he's been able to turn the military or other well meaning people against "the alien". By being a smooth talker. But not by seeming like a bad guy, or that you were in the room with a gangster. But by making it seem like he was the rational one, and Superman is the threat.

I feel like over the years there have been mad scientist versions of him, and sometimes corporate tycoon versions. But I don't remember him ever being some bruiser you should feel physically threatened by.

He's Luthor, not Kingpin.
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    David_D said:

I don't read a lot of Superman, but hasn't the Luthor always been that his brain is what is dangerous about him? Isn't that why at some points he had his armor? I don't remember him being a hard guy hand to hand. Or someone people are immediately afraid of. Which is part of why there have been many times he's been able to turn the military or other well meaning people against "the alien". By being a smooth talker. But not by seeming like a bad guy, or that you were in the room with a gangster. But by making it seem like he was the rational one, and Superman is the threat.

I feel like over the years there have been mad scientist versions of him, and sometimes corporate tycoon versions. But I don't remember him ever being some bruiser you should feel physically threatened by.

Except when he had that armor, but let's hope the films don't go down that road.

I can see Eisenberg fitting much of that, except for the smooth talker part. Both in film and real life, he always seems very awkward. Perhaps they'll go with Luthor as an anti-social genius, maybe a bit of a sociopath?
  • Options
    chrisw said:

David_D said:

Except when he had that armor, but let's hope the films don't go down that road.

I can see Eisenberg fitting much of that, except for the smooth talker part. Both in film and real life, he always seems very awkward. Perhaps they'll go with Luthor as an anti-social genius, maybe a bit of a sociopath?
    I think that's a good point. Eisenberg doesn't usually play smoothies. And, thinking more about it, the kind of innovator/genius type he tends to play may be even more of a fit with what is our current image of such people. When I think back to John Byrne's take on Luthor, that was an image of the influential, powerful man of that time. He was big in his expensive suit. A larger than life glad-hander. Chauffeured around, smoking a cigar. Those were all short hands for power and success in the 80s.

But Eisenberg is well cast as the guy who might have invented something in his garage that the powers that be turn to as the innovation that can keep them safe from the alien that is "threatening" America. He may not be the type to sell it to the people, but he fits for me as the kind of person the smooth talkers listen to. He is more like what power, success, and influence can look like now.
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    I'm guessing his performance in Social Network played a big part in being considered for the role.

Back in Byrne's time, I guess the stereotypical millionaire was someone like Donald Trump. Today, it's Bill Gates or Mark Zuckerberg. It's easy to see that kind of genius pivoted into an anti-social sociopath with a hatred of an all-powerful alien arriving on his planet with the ability to affect things in a way that the actual residents of the planet can't or won't.
  • Options
    JaxUrJaxUr Posts: 547
    edited March 2015
    Scott Eastwood has been cast as Steve Trevor in the upcoming Suicide Squad movie. It will be interesting to see him with Gal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRmJLqbhP_c

Also, listen for Leto trying out a possible Joker voice.
  • Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    edited April 2015
    These will gone in a heartbeat. Grab 'em while you can.
    http://www.batmanvsupermandawnofjustice.com/imax/index.html

• Options
    edited April 2015
    For clarification - it's just for an advanced look at the trailer on select IMAX screens - similar to what Guardians of the Galaxy did.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    A teaser trailer for the full-length trailer has been released.
    (Actually, that's kind of pathetic when if ya stop to think about it, so it's probably best that you don't.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w852aRuN380
  • Options
    They might as well just have released a picture of the batsuit as opposed to this "teaser" for a trailer. That image of the Superman suit is ripped right out of Man of Steel. Only difference is it was re-colored
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    I want my money back.
  • Options
    JaxUrJaxUr Posts: 547
    Here's a bootleg of the full trailer, Take a look before it gets pulled down:

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=118811
  • Options
    May or may not be the same, but another link in case that one gets taken down.
    https://vid.me/NlzG
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    edited April 2015

May or may not be the same, but another link in case that one gets taken down.
    https://vid.me/NlzG

EDIT: watching this a second time, I liked the theme that's being used. It's one of the issues I have with Kent.

It looks a lot darker then I thought it would be.

I wonder how much time will be the 2 just fighting.

I can't say spending money for a CHANCE to see that is worth it. I don't know what tickets cost, but I hope they include something else.

Still not digging Affleck's Batman voice. It sounds heavily digitized. Hopefully that has more to do with being in the armor then his natural voice. The Affleck voice sounds like the Gnome King from Return to Oz:

http://youtu.be/YjfMRBY16RI

Overall, it doesn't really get me anymore jazzed for the movie (I found I've become very soured on the film within the last couple months). I still have the "that's Ben Affleck" when I see him, but in the Batsuit (looks like it is gray & black) he looks like Batman.

M
  • Options
    Wait... so there are people that are going to show up at an IMAX theater to watch JUST that?? I know Guardians did something like this, too. But I thought (I guess presumed) they were seeing 10 minutes of the film or something.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    As for the trailer, not a bad start. Back during the end of Man of Steel, I had wanted more of a sense of how the world reacted to there being a Superman, and we didn't get it then. But it looks like they are definitely starting with that fallout for this one. And I like the use of voices and dialogue to get there.

Visually it... all looks a lot like Snyder's Watchmen. Like the whole thing takes place on one, dark, rainy night. So in that way this continues to seem like much more of a Batman movie than a Superman sequel. But, heck, I'm game.

Also, is it just because this trailer seems like it was cut for a foreign market that it is called "Batman Vs. Superman" as opposed to "Batman V Superman", or I wonder if they have actually changed it.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    I already like it better than Man of Steel, so there's that.

Snyder just doesn't do much for me.
  • Options
    bamfbamfbamfbamf Posts: 718
    is it real or fake?

coz why do i hear professor snape's voice?
  • Options
    Meh. Another entry in the DC movie "not for me" column.
  • Options
    bamfbamfbamfbamf Posts: 718
    official released... it's the same

https://youtu.be/IwfUnkBfdZ4
    Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice - Official Teaser Trailer [HD]
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    I'm still hoping we get a longer theatrical teaser on Monday.
    It's already been confirmed there will be a Zack Snyder into. to the one shown in select IMAX theaters, and the venue is slated to run 15 minutes.
  • Options
    bamfbamf said:

official released... it's the same

https://youtu.be/IwfUnkBfdZ4
    Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice - Official Teaser Trailer [HD]

I can already hear @WetRats scream out in a Kirk/Khan moment.

"Zaaaaaaaaaaacccccccchhhhhhhhh"

M

• Options
    kgforcekgforce Posts: 326
    Looks AWESOME to me!
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    $100. Pus admission.

That's my price.

Only way I would watch this.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

$100. Pus admission.

That's my price.

You'd pay $100 & pus admission to see this? I'm currently thinking a matinee showing.

M
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    edited April 2015
    Now that the trailer release event of the week is winding down, I think things look like this:

Star Wars: The Force Awakens > Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice
  • Options
    shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457
    bamfbamf said:

is it real or fake?

coz why do i hear professor snape's voice?

I've lost my sense of sarcasm after all the snark on some threads so I cant tell if you mean this or not. I apologize in advance if you were being clever.

The voice was Jeremy Irons who is playing Alfred.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Matt said:

WetRats said:

$100. Pus admission.

That's my price.

You'd pay $100 & pus admission to see this? I'm currently thinking a matinee showing.

M
    No pus needs to be admitted. Ew.

Even my "L" key doesn't want anything to do with this bleak, colorless, joyless, ill-conceived mess.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    WetRats said:

Matt said:

WetRats said:

$100. Pus admission.

That's my price.

M
    No pus needs to be admitted. Ew.

Even my "L" key doesn't want anything to do with this beak, corless, joyess, i-conceived mess.
    fixed.