Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice (Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    I've seen reactions online ranging from it looks like the greatest thing ever to I can't believe Snyder f***ed this up. To me it was here's Superman, here's Batman, see you next March
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    edited April 2015
    WetRats said:

Matt said:

WetRats said:

$100. Pus admission.

That's my price.

Only way I would watch this.

You'd pay $100 & pus admission to see this? I'm currently thinking a matinee showing.

M
    No pus needs to be admitted. Ew.

Even my "L" key doesn't want anything to do with this bleak, colorless, joyless, ill-conceived mess.
    I figured you left the "L" out because you were making the sign on your forehead; a gesture toward Snyder.

For some reason I'm really turned off to this movie (though I have a theory). I really liked the Marvel-ized taken on Kent the first 2/3rds of Man of Steel (I thought the last 1/3rd is where it started to collapse). It presented a version of Kent I could connect with & appreciate.

I really like the theme of false idol presented in the trailer. It actually continues with how I perceive the character. Hearing "Superman would find a way", "...but he's Superman", "Superman is the standard for superheroes", etc. I feel like too many people put him on this pedestal. It's one of the reasons I'm not a fan of the character.

Despite the movie appearing to present a version of Kent I find appropriate & in line with my perception of the character, I'm strangely not really jazzed for the movie.

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

For some reason I'm really turned off to this movie (though I have a theory). I really liked the Marvel-ized taken on Kent the first 2/3rds of Man of Steel (I thought the last 1/3rd is where it started to collapse). It presented a version of Kent I could connect with & appreciate.

I really like the theme of false idol presented in the trailer. It actually continues with how I perceive the character. Hearing "Superman would find a way", "...but he's Superman", "Superman is the standard for superheroes", etc. I feel like too many people put him on this pedestal. It's one of the reasons I'm not a fan of the character.

Despite the movie appearing to present a version of Kent I find appropriate & in line with my perception of the character, I'm strangely not really jazzed for the movie.

M

Are you saying "too many people" referring to fans/viewers or characters in the movies/books?
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Matt said:

OK.

I'm really looking forward to your explanation of how that's different from "With time to prepare, Batman can beat anybody."

Regarding putting Superman on a pedestal, you do ralize what "super" means, right?

BTW: I saw what you did there. You actually used the "S"-word three times... but only in quotes. That's commitment to a bit. Comedy genius. I am in awe.
  • Options
    Matt said:

I really like the theme of false idol presented in the trailer.

Seriously, though... why the fuck would Metropolis waste any of the billions it would take to rebuild the city to put up a giant statue of the alien freak that caused so much of the damage? Who the fuck puts up statues of living people, anyway? He's neither a retired athlete nor an Iraqi dictator. It makes zero sense!
  • Options

Matt said:

M

Are you saying "too many people" referring to fans/viewers or characters in the movies/books?
    Both.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Matt said:

OK.

I'm really looking forward to your explanation of how that's different from "With time to prepare, Batman can beat anybody."

Regarding putting Superman on a pedestal, you do ralize what "super" means, right?

BTW: I saw what you did there. You actually used the "S"-word three times... but only in quotes. That's commitment to a bit. Comedy genius. I am in awe.
    It's no different.

Yup, but Kent is really only "super" to those that are awestruck by what he can represent.

It's rare for me to see any of those comments about Kent identifying him as "Kent" or "Kal El", so I wanted to the verbiage I see.
  • Options
    Matt said:

It's rare for me to see any of those comments about Kent identifying him as "Kent" or "Kal El", so I wanted to the verbiage I see.

Right.

I saw what you did.

Comedy.

Genius.

Awe.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Matt said:

I really like the theme of false idol presented in the trailer.

Seriously, though... why the fuck would Metropolis waste any of the billions it would take to rebuild the city to put up a giant statue of the alien freak that caused so much of the damage? Who the fuck puts up statues of living people, anyway? He's neither a retired athlete nor an Iraqi dictator. It makes zero sense!
    Is it definitely the city who erected the statue? One theory out there is that Lex plays a "buddy" angle on Kent to use him. Lex could've had the statue built.

Since there's a kickstarter to get a RoboCop statue erected in Detroit, whose to say the same couldn't have happened in Metropolis? There are scenes of people kneeling for him. I'm avoiding using my thoughts on theology, but I will say people who believe could easily raise funds for it.

Not everyone sees "deities" as negatives.

M
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited April 2015
    DAR said:

I've seen reactions online ranging from it looks like the greatest thing ever to I can't believe Snyder f***ed this up. To me it was here's Superman, here's Batman, see you next March

I'd agree with this. In many ways the trailer looks like I expected, and that it is Snyder will make me wary going in. But I was never going to not see it. Heck, if this was still called Man of Steel 2 and had no Batman in it I would probably still check it out.
  • Options
    Actual text exchange from yesterday:

-friend:Zack Snyder wasn't happy that the leaked trailer was shitty, so he posted it

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/batman-v-superman-dawn-of-justice-trailer-officially-released

-Me:How does this make it less shitty?
  • Options
    Matt said:

M

That is EXACTLY why Batman is so annoying and how the show "Arrow" is showing how Oliver Queen is NOT Batman..
  • Options

Matt said:

M

That is EXACTLY why Batman is so annoying and how the show "Arrow" is showing how Oliver Queen is NOT Batman..
    I find the Bat-pedestal annoying too. He's not a superhero & there are just some situations he's not going to be able to survive through...or at least without losing a limb or two.

M

• Options
    CageNarleighCageNarleigh Posts: 729
    edited April 2015
    Three interesting facts from the trailer not yet discussed here:

1) The graffitied building Batman is in, is that an abandoned Wayne manor?

2) Batman is holding a rifle in one image.

3) The soldiers bowing to Supes? They're also wearing the S-shield on their shoulders.
  • Options
    RepoManRepoMan Posts: 327
    It would be interesting to see an Elseworlds-esque story. Or a story that has flashes of the future. A multi timeline movie in the way Man of Steel jumped around. So stoked by this new trailer.
  • Options
    kgforcekgforce Posts: 326

3) The soldiers bowing to Supes? They're also wearing the S-shield on their shoulders.

Yeah, good point! That would lead me to believe that there is a group of people that form a "cult" of Superman, hence the giant statue with "False God" spray painted on it.
  • Options
    kgforce said:

Yeah, good point! That would lead me to believe that there is a group of people that form a "cult" of Superman, hence the giant statue with "False God" spray painted on it.
  • Options
    mphilmphil Posts: 448
    Am I the only person who thinks this trailer is a little to close to the first Age of Ultron trailer? Like to the point of being a bit of a rip-off?
  • Options
    If you're talking about the heavy musical hits and the quick cuts from scene to scene, that's movie making 101 for the past 5 years or so. Age of Ultron certainly didn't create that. Beyond that, no. I don't see any similarities.
  • Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    The IMAX trailer didn't add much to what's already been shown. We got a couple segments of Zack Snyder introducing the clip and then reintroducing it (they played it twice). There was a scene at the end with Superman and Batman running running toward each other that was exclusive to the IMAX screening. Like Marvel did with the Guardians of the Galaxy theatrical preview, DC issued posters, though DC gave out two posters to Marvel's one. The real bonus was that DC issued everyone in attendance a free pass to attend an advance screening of the movie a week before it debuts next March.
  • Options
    BrackBrack Posts: 868
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMI6B734Ew4

Will Arnett is still the best big screen Batman.
  • Options
    Its interesting to me the DCCU is following the old Marvel comics mold so far. Man of Steel presented Kent will character flaws & made him relateable (at least the first 2/3rds) instead of this God like his comic book counterpart.

I know BvS has inspiration from DKR, but it was a very Marvel thing to have its heroes fight each other during their initial meeting.

M
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    It is interesting that they are pulling some old school Marvel stuff. Nothing about this trailer that has me overly excited. I'll see whether or not I really want to see this or if I can wait until it's on cable.
  • Options
    I don't think heroes fighting heroes is a Marvel creation. It's a comic book creation. Haha.
  • Options
    RepoMan said:

I don't think heroes fighting heroes is a Marvel creation. It's a comic book creation. Haha.

Marvel heroes were known for fighting each other the first time they meet. Look at Spidey & the FF, the FF & Black Panther, DD & Punisher, etc. I don't recall reading Kent & Batman, the 2 Flashes, etc fighting when they originally met for the first time.

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

RepoMan said:

Marvel heroes were known for fighting each other the first time they meet. Look at Spidey & the FF, the FF & Black Panther, DD & Punisher, etc. I don't recall reading Kent & Batman, the 2 Flashes, etc fighting when they originally met for the first time.

M
    You're right.

DC Heroes were friends.

One might even say they were super friends...

Superman & Batman were best friends until John Byrne ruined that.

Even in The Dark Knight Returns, they were friends. Their fight happened when Superman was ordered by the President to take down a rogue Batman. His heart wasn't in the fight *and* he'd just been nuked, which allowed Bruce to "win" their battle. Barely.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Matt said:

RepoMan said:

M
    You're right.

DC Heroes were friends.

One might even say they were super friends...

Superman & Batman were best friends until John Byrne ruined that.

Even in The Dark Knight Returns, they were friends. Their fight happened when Superman was ordered by the President to take down a rogue Batman. His heart wasn't in the fight *and* he'd just been nuked, which allowed Bruce to "win" their battle. Barely.
    I actually liked how Kent & Batman first met in Byrne's run. No fighting, but a creative way to make sure Kent didn't harm Batman.

One of my eyebrow lifts for BvS stems from the differences with DKR. What I really liked about the DKR was that these 2 characters had a long history together. It's what amped the fight to the next level. No misunderstandings between the 2.

It's going to be difficult for the movie to replicate that with the initial meeting. A 10 minute conversation & the fight would've been avoided. In the source material, the fight followed the conversation & horseback riding.

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

I actually liked how Kent & Batman first met in Byrne's run. No fighting, but a creative way to make sure Kent didn't harm Batman.

Superman was a great guy, only a paranoid lunatic like the post-Miller/Byrne Batman would need to worry about being harmed.

;)
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Matt said:

Superman was a great guy, only a paranoid lunatic like the post-Miller/Byrne Batman would need to worry about being harmed.

;)
    Only, Batman isn't paranoid*. He probably read the short story "To Serve Man" & doesn't just foolishly accept situations that look to be beneficial.

timeo Danaos et dona ferentes

*People seem to not understand that there's a difference between paranoia & preparation. Suddenly a whole organization of young boys have gone from "being prepared" to "being paranoid".

M