Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Suicide Squad - The Movie *Now with spoilers*

Comments

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    "You can bangs on it!"
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    Having looked at that picture long enough, I'm really not into this movie. The photo looks like a Cosplay photo. It's really unimpressive.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    WetRats said:

"Bangs for the memories!"

I may have seen that movie.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    WetRats said:

Maybe there'll be a "Bangs! Bangs! You're dead!" joke.

Oh wait...

A joke?

In a DC movie?

What was I thinking?

Sad, and true.
  • Options
    bamfbamfbamfbamf Posts: 718
    Jared Leto spoilery images... in full joker costume and makeup

why do i keep going to this site??

http://www.justjared.com/2015/05/18/jared-leto-fights-kisses-margot-robbie-for-suicide-squad/
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    bamfbamf said:

Jared Leto spoilery images... in full joker costume and makeup

why do i keep going to this site??

http://www.justjared.com/2015/05/18/jared-leto-fights-kisses-margot-robbie-for-suicide-squad/

Hoooo boy...

• Options
    playdohsrepublicplaydohsrepublic Posts: 1,377
    are they leaving a rib joint?
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Looks colorful.

A shame it's going to so muddled, even if it's a Suicide Squad movie.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    So I guess whoever tried to back-peddle and explain the tattoos were just a Joker's 75th anniversary stunt were lying...

• Options
    JaxUrJaxUr Posts: 547
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    They are definitely succeeding in getting a lot of awareness going for a DC movie that doesn't have a Batman or Superman in it.
  • Options
    luckymustardluckymustard Posts: 927
    Ummm... reports are that Ben Affleck was on set, with pictures even. However, the one pic I remember seeing he looked like Bruce Wayne, and not in the Batsuit.
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    David_D said:

They are definitely succeeding in getting a lot of awareness going for a DC movie that doesn't have a Batman or Superman in it.

I feel like they're positioning this as the Guardians of the Galaxy of the DC film universe. Not as light, obviously, but the quirky outcast compared to the rest of the films.
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Ummm... reports are that Ben Affleck was on set, with pictures even. However, the one pic I remember seeing he looked like Bruce Wayne, and not in the Batsuit.

Ah. Got it. But even if he does a cameo or something, I think the fact that this much pre-release attention is being paid to a Suicide Squad movie means that-- whatever the final results end up being-- at this point they are doing something right, as far as building expectation/awareness with the mainstream audience. And the stories I have seen trending, and posted in mainstream places, have not been the Affleck ones. They have been the "look at Jared Leto as the Joker/ look at Joker and Harley Quinn/ look at the Suicide Squad" kind. So that is the awareness I was talking about.
  • Options
    So reportedly, the director feels like this movie is so dark, he's hired a therapist to be on set and at the disposal of the cast.

http://www.eonline.com/news/671351/suicide-squad-has-an-on-set-therapist-for-cast
  • Options
    AxelBrassAxelBrass Posts: 245
    Jeesh. What is Warner Brothers doing?
  • Options
    I'm still amazed that the company that gave me "Superfriends" in my childhood is cranking out movies like this.

If the 12 year old me time traveled to today from 1983, he'd probably think the Marvel movies are pretty much what he expected them to be, but he'd be totally confused by DC.
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    If the movie is going to be really "dark", I wonder if the company is limiting its potiential audience. It could be one of those situations where the film still makes a bunch of money but it does not meet "expectations" and causes the studio to rethink everything.
  • Options
    mphilmphil Posts: 448
    An interactive image showing the cast vs the character's original look from the comics.

http://www.halloweencostumes.com/blog/suicide-squad/
  • Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    edited July 2015
    Leaked trailer (crappy angle, but genuine).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzQUINkyvbA

Alternate link listed below.
    https://vid.me/NHC9
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited July 2015

Leaked trailer (crappy angle, but genuine).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzQUINkyvbA

Alternate link listed below.
    https://vid.me/NHC9

Thanks!

• Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    edited July 2015
    chrisw said:

I'm still amazed that the company that gave me "Superfriends" in my childhood is cranking out movies like this.

If the 12 year old me time traveled to today from 1983, he'd probably think the Marvel movies are pretty much what he expected them to be, but he'd be totally confused by DC.

If this were BvS, I'd be with you. But this is Suicide Squad. I expect some fun, but in theory, it should be dark. It's a cast of villains.
  • Options
    bamfbamfbamfbamf Posts: 718
    harley quinn is basically a stripper in this movie?
  • Options

chrisw said:

If this were BvS, I'd be with you. But this is Suicide Squad. I expect dome fun, but in theory, it should be dark. It's a cast of villains.
    I get that, but I also grew up with the original Suicide Squad, and while it stood out from the other comics, it still wasn't this dark.

I'm not saying I won't enjoy the movie - no way of knowing that yet - I'm just still surprised that DC's going so dark, and so soon, with their films. Maybe if we'd had a run of things like Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Aquaman, etc, and then we got a twist with Suicide Squad, it wouldn't feel so jarring. Instead, they're using this as one of the primary introductions to the DC movie universe.
  • Options
    chrisw said:

chrisw said:

If this were BvS, I'd be with you. But this is Suicide Squad. I expect dome fun, but in theory, it should be dark. It's a cast of villains.
    I get that, but I also grew up with the original Suicide Squad, and while it stood out from the other comics, it still wasn't this dark.

I'm not saying I won't enjoy the movie - no way of knowing that yet - I'm just still surprised that DC's going so dark, and so soon, with their films. Maybe if we'd had a run of things like Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Aquaman, etc, and then we got a twist with Suicide Squad, it wouldn't feel so jarring. Instead, they're using this as one of the primary introductions to the DC movie universe.
    True. Though, at the same time, at this point building their cinematic universe seems so behind, that instead of spending the next 5 years rolling out the characters people are already more familiar with, they thought that maybe they could grab some more attention, or program against expectations, by going for something more unknown (albeit, unknown but with the most famous comic villain there is in the mix as a hook). It may be that instead of showing they can do their own Avengers, and then show they can make a splash with their lesser knowns in the 2020s or whatever, they are trying to show they can pull a Guardians of the Galaxy even before they have launched their whole Avengers lineup.
  • Options
    Maybe this is a plan to build up to a SuperFriends and Legion of Doom crossover in 2020? Bring in some of the over-50 crowd.

This trailer has officially placed the film in my Netflix queue...
  • Options
    David_D said:

chrisw said:

chrisw said:

True. Though, at the same time, at this point building their cinematic universe seems so behind, that instead of spending the next 5 years rolling out the characters people are already more familiar with, they thought that maybe they could grab some more attention, or program against expectations, by going for something more unknown (albeit, unknown but with the most famous comic villain there is in the mix as a hook). It may be that instead of showing they can do their own Avengers, and then show they can make a splash with their lesser knowns in the 2020s or whatever, they are trying to show they can pull a Guardians of the Galaxy even before they have launched their whole Avengers lineup.
    I get that, and I think I even made that comparison many pages ago (or maybe not, but I've at least thought it). I think GOTG has a lot to do with the timing of this film.

It'll be interesting to see how it goes. They seem to have the attitude that they can pull off what it took Marvel several years to do just by skipping ahead. I'd love to have a second comic book cinematic universe, so I actually do hope it works.
  • Options
    I think that if you watch this with a sort of "Expendables" mentality it might be alright. Though Will Smith as Deadshot as Will Smith is a turn-off.