Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Spider-Man finally in the MCU?!

1235»

Comments

• Options
    playdohsrepublicplaydohsrepublic Posts: 1,377
    edited July 2015
    bamfbamf said:

wait... so peter parker is italian?

Uh, May isnt biologically related to Peter...

Unless you count that awful Mark Millar comic from like 13 years ago. Or I guess the Ultimate universe...

But really, she could be anything.
  • Options
    bamfbamfbamfbamf Posts: 718
    good knowledge! i did not know that... shame on me
  • Options
    tazmaniaktazmaniak Posts: 733
    Hex said:

I think it is sad commentary when the best role Marisa Tomei can land in Hollywood lately is Aunt May.

Being cast as a major supporting character in one of the biggest superhero films is nothing to sneeze at. I don't think anyone's feeling sorry for her at the moment.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    RickM said:

It's not her age (51) that's so jarring, it's her appearance. Aunt May has always been drawn as the ultimate mid-20th century little old lady, skinny and wrinkly and fearful. Tomei is the type of modern 50-something woman who is fit and active and assertive. We continue to cast Peter Parker as a scrawny young man, so its funny that Aunt May is so wildly off-type now.

We have yet to see her *as* Aunt May.

I presume she will be less glamorous than in the shots folks have been posting of her so far.
  • Options
    Hex said:

I think it is sad commentary when the best role Marisa Tomei can land in Hollywood lately is Aunt May.

A major role in a guaranteed blockbuster?

Yeah.

Sad indeed.
  • Options
    RickMRickM Posts: 407
    WetRats said:

RickM said:

It's not her age (51) that's so jarring, it's her appearance. Aunt May has always been drawn as the ultimate mid-20th century little old lady, skinny and wrinkly and fearful. Tomei is the type of modern 50-something woman who is fit and active and assertive. We continue to cast Peter Parker as a scrawny young man, so its funny that Aunt May is so wildly off-type now.

We have yet to see her *as* Aunt May.

I presume she will be less glamorous than in the shots folks have been posting of her so far.
    Yes, I fully anticipate the filmmakers will dress and make up the actress to look like the character she is playing.
  • Options
    kiwijasekiwijase Posts: 451
    Actually, I've always thought Aunt May was kind of hot myself, now this confirms it! ;)
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    WetRats said:

Hex said:

Yeah.

Sad indeed.
    I'm not saying you should feel sorry for her. I just think it sucks that once an actress hits a certain age, the roles dry up. The fact that Marisa Tomei looks as great as she does (at 51!?!?), to be relegated to playing geriatric Aunt May kinda sucks (not that Marvel is going to play Aunt May as geriatric, but you know what I mean). As much as I loved Sally Fields in the role for the recent film version, I still thought it was a bit of a stretch, and Sally is almost 70!

As long as as they bring back J.K. Simmons as JJJ, I won't care about the rest of the Spider-Man cast.
  • Options
    Hex said:

WetRats said:

Hex said:

Yeah.

Sad indeed.
    I'm not saying you should feel sorry for her. I just think it sucks that once an actress hits a certain age, the roles dry up. The fact that Marisa Tomei looks as great as she does (at 51!?!?), to be relegated to playing geriatric Aunt May kinda sucks (not that Marvel is going to play Aunt May as geriatric, but you know what I mean). As much as I loved Sally Fields in the role for the recent film version, I still thought it was a bit of a stretch, and Sally is almost 70!

As long as as they bring back J.K. Simmons as JJJ, I won't care about the rest of the Spider-Man cast.
    Yes, the ghettoization of non-youthful actresses is shameful.

However, I really doubt they will be geriatrifying(?) Aunt May this time.

Deglamourizing Ms. Tomei, sure, but I think the character is going to finally be age-appropriate.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    moved this to SDCC 2015 thread... coz Quesada covered a lot more than just Spidey
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2015/07/23/is-this-our-first-look-at-the-new-spider-man-costume

Is This Our First Look At The New Spider-Man Costume?
    A mystery Twitter account tweets mystery things.
  • Options
    http://www.newsarama.com/25405-spider-gwen-artist-reveals-rule-against-creating-new-characters-due-to-sony-s-movie-rights.html

SPIDER-GWEN Artist Claims 'Big Rule' Against Creating New Characters Due To Sony's Movie Rights

"There’s like a big rule […] we can’t really create new characters in Spider-Gwen because the movie rights aren’t officially fully licensed by Marvel," Rodriguez claimed. "Whatever we create in Spider-Gwen, Sony gets first crack at those characters. So that’s why we start doing what we call ‘sampling.’ We’ll sample ideas that we have and slap them on to a new character. Say, we have Luke Cage, which I think we are planning on using, it has to be Luke Cage in name only. He is a new idea that we’ve had, for a new character."
  • Options
    he's going to be the Harry Potter of Marvel?

http://www.newsarama.com/25995-spider-man-director-reveals-peter-s-age-talks-film-s-direction.html

SPIDER-MAN Director Reveals PETER's Age, Origin Story & UNCLE BEN

“I love the idea of making a coming-of-age high-school movie,” Watts told Empire (via Yahoo! UK). “We’re really going to see Peter Parker in high school and get deeper into that side of it. He’s just 15 now.”

Watts also confirmed that the film won't be a standard origin story like previous Spider-Man films, saying “There are only so many times you can kill Uncle Ben.”

Finally, Watts praised the film's young star, Tom Holland, expounding on Holland's acting chops as well as his physical ability.

“Tom was pretty perfect. He’s very athletic. He can actually do a backflip! If he didn’t already capture the spirit of the character, with that on top the kid is Spider-Man.”
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    I'm alright with all of that as along as I don't have to watch another 45 minute to an hour origin.
  • Options
    Emma Stone Stars as Spider-Gwen in Fake Trailer
    https://youtu.be/H4dqg1z0dgc
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    chrisw said:

And I never felt like the Raimi films didn't reach an end point. As much as I disliked the third film, it still felt like an ending to me. Unless that fourth film led to another trilogy, I think it would have always felt like an awkward add-on at best.

Did anyone here ever see the storyboards that award winning illustrator Jeffrey Henderson did for Raimi's Spider-Man IV?

http://www.planethenderson.com/storyboards/#/spiderman4/

Worth your time.