Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Netflix/Streaming/TV--- Whatcha watching?

Comments

• Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    mwhitt80 said:

chrisw said:

Kilmarock said:

The Grifters - Anjelica Huston, Annette Benning, and John Cusack; not quite as good as I remembered it being but still well worth a watch

Von Ryan's Express - Frank Sinatra in a remake of the Great Escape on a train in Italy; pretty good although not great

Years ago I read a review of Von Ryan's Express that said "Sinatra runs like a man whose used to being driven around in limousines." So every time I see Sinatra attempt action in a film, that's the first thing that comes to mind.
    That's like what heard about Sorkin. He writes office dialogue like man who never worked in office but desperately wants too. So yep that pretty much ruined his movies and TV shows.

On a positive note we still have Mike Judge.
    I've never quite understood why I don't care for Sorkin, but that comes pretty close to nailing it for me. I can take a certain amount of stylized dialogue (Tarantino, Whedon, etc), but when every character speaks at an intellectual level completely inappropriate for their job and background, it really grates.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    chrisw said:

mwhitt80 said:

chrisw said:

Kilmarock said:

The Grifters - Anjelica Huston, Annette Benning, and John Cusack; not quite as good as I remembered it being but still well worth a watch

Von Ryan's Express - Frank Sinatra in a remake of the Great Escape on a train in Italy; pretty good although not great

Years ago I read a review of Von Ryan's Express that said "Sinatra runs like a man whose used to being driven around in limousines." So every time I see Sinatra attempt action in a film, that's the first thing that comes to mind.
    That's like what heard about Sorkin. He writes office dialogue like man who never worked in office but desperately wants too. So yep that pretty much ruined his movies and TV shows.

I've never quite understood why I don't care for Sorkin, but that comes pretty close to nailing it for me. I can take a certain amount of stylized dialogue (Tarantino, Whedon, etc), but when every character speaks at an intellectual level completely inappropriate for their job and background, it really grates.
    I've concluded that Sorkin is a tad over-rated.
  • Options
    KilmarockKilmarock Posts: 174
    chrisw said:

Kilmarock said:

Haven't seen The Grifters in over 20 years. I've always had the feeling it would feel very much of its time, that sort of '90s indie kind of thing.

Anjelica Huston is great, Annette Benning is good, but John Cusack seems way out his league in this one, definitely the weakest link.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

chrisw said:

Kilmarock said:

I'm watching the West Wing and Sports Night and enjoying them to varying degrees but I see your point. I often often find myself rolling my eyes, partly at the dialogue but more so at the insane work hours these people put in and still seem (for the most part) to treat each other in a friendly and respectful manner.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    chrisw said:

Watched Back To The Future for the first time in nearly 30 years on Amazon Prime. They have all three of them until the end of October.

I never had cable as a kid, so I never experienced the repeated viewings that made this such a touchstone for people my age, but I can see why it was so well-regarded. I'm guilty of letting my attention drift to my cellphone or laptop during even the best home viewings these days, but I was glued to the screen for the full two hours.

And even though some of those '80s films are dated, I still appreciate the fact that even in a high concept film like this, they take the time to flesh out the characters. That gets lots a lot in today's effects driven films. You can do both.

I love the friendship between Marty and Doc. You never even question how or why these two totally different people are friends.

• Options

chrisw said:

Watched Back To The Future for the first time in nearly 30 years on Amazon Prime. They have all three of them until the end of October.

I never had cable as a kid, so I never experienced the repeated viewings that made this such a touchstone for people my age, but I can see why it was so well-regarded. I'm guilty of letting my attention drift to my cellphone or laptop during even the best home viewings these days, but I was glued to the screen for the full two hours.

And even though some of those '80s films are dated, I still appreciate the fact that even in a high concept film like this, they take the time to flesh out the characters. That gets lots a lot in today's effects driven films. You can do both.

I love the friendship between Marty and Doc. You never even question how or why these two totally different people are friends.

I was telling my wife "If they made this today, we'd probably be stuck with some pointless back story sucking up screen time instead of just trusting the actors to make it work."

I think I've read that there was an explanation in the script, but it was cut. Either way, they were smart enough to not bore us with extraneous details.

I think the advent of home viewing, and watching movies countless times, makes filmmakers overthink what they need to explain. Sure, over the years viewers might ask why they're friends, but in that first viewing it never occurs to the viewer to question it.
  • Options
    Kilmarock said:

mwhitt80 said:

chrisw said:

Kilmarock said:

I'm watching the West Wing and Sports Night and enjoying them to varying degrees but I see your point. I often often find myself rolling my eyes, partly at the dialogue but more so at the insane work hours these people put in and still seem (for the most part) to treat each other in a friendly and respectful manner.
    I can kind of buy West Wing, since in theory the White House would be staffed by a bunch of workaholic brainiacs (or at least people who think they're brainiacs, and behave as such). I still didn't care for the series, but it annoyed less than something like Sports NIght or Studio 60, in which people seemed to speak and behave in a manner totally foreign to what they were supposed to be.

Studio 60, in particular, felt like it was populated by pod people pretending to act like human beings.
  • Options
    Kilmarock said:

mwhitt80 said:

chrisw said:

Kilmarock said:

We talking about the same Aaron Sorkin!?

I loved West Wing and especially the dialogue -- I can't speak to its accurateness within the working environment, but it often felt like music when it was done right, and I always came away with the impression that that was the intent.

I'm currently enjoying Newsroom for the same reasons.

• Options
    shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457
    Sorkin at his A game is masterful. He just plagiarizes himself so much that the beats are predictable. I binged watched West Wing with my daughter and it was not as enjoyable in heavier doses as it was week to week.Scripts like A Few Good Men and American President are so clever but then he just recycles it.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    Kilmarock said:

mwhitt80 said:

chrisw said:

Kilmarock said:

I've been known to work insane hours with my co-workers and we continue to be friendly and respectful to one another.

It's been mentioned elsewhere, but Newsroom, especially the first season is Sorkin at his finest. Still ivory tower storytelling, but fine, fine ivory tower storytelling.
  • Options
    hauberk said:

Kilmarock said:

mwhitt80 said:

chrisw said:

Kilmarock said:

I've been known to work insane hours with my co-workers and we continue to be friendly and respectful to one another.

It's been mentioned elsewhere, but Newsroom, especially the first season is Sorkin at his finest. Still ivory tower storytelling, but fine, fine ivory tower storytelling.
    As always YMMV but in a high pressure environment like the White House I believe that working insane hours is very unhealthy. Even if it didn't ruin working relationships, I'm sure that in some form it would take its toll on the people who work in that office.
  • Options
    shroud68 said:

Sorkin at his A game is masterful. He just plagiarizes himself so much that the beats are predictable. I binged watched West Wing with my daughter and it was not as enjoyable in heavier doses as it was week to week.Scripts like A Few Good Men and American President are so clever but then he just recycles it.

I made the mistake of watching Newsroom S1 and Sports Night S1 at the same time. Even the dialogue repeated itself almost word for word sometimes. It was like he cut and pasted sections of Sports Night script, changed the names to Will and Mac, and called it a night. It felt lazy instead of referential.
  • Options
    hauberk said:

Kilmarock said:

mwhitt80 said:

chrisw said:

Kilmarock said:

"Ivory tower storytelling" - another phrase that helps me put into words what I don't like about Sorkin.

Not criticizing others for liking him, just saying he's not my thing.

I did like The Social Network, though. That, like West Wing, seems well-suited to his writing style. And I was okay with West Wing for the first couple seasons.
  • Options
    chrisw said:

hauberk said:

Kilmarock said:

mwhitt80 said:

chrisw said:

Kilmarock said:

"Ivory tower storytelling" - another phrase that helps me put into words what I don't like about Sorkin.

Not criticizing others for liking him, just saying he's not my thing.

I did like The Social Network, though. That, like West Wing, seems well-suited to his writing style. And I was okay with West Wing for the first couple seasons.
    I should qualify that I think that his idealism, when not dogmaticaly Manuchi-ist is something I quite like. I used ivory tower storytelling to more address the lack of reality in the scenarios that he presents. Newsroom is for me a wonderful fantasy exploring the idea of a return to journalistic integrity in the age of the 24 hour news cycle. I'm skeptical about the possibility of it ever happening but it's sure refreshing to see those ideals portrayed.

West Wing, on the other hand, got a little dogmatic for me at times.
  • Options
    I guess when I hear "Ivory Tower storytelling", what comes to my mind is writing that tends to focus more on ideas than story, populated by characters occupying a rarefied position in society. I just always find myself at a distance from that sort of thing.

Maybe this is a weird comparison, but it's the first thing that sprung to mind. I can watch something like, say, "Taxi", filled with working class characters, and one character who fancies himself as something of an intellectual, and get more out of that through its humor and humanity than I get from an hour of Sorkin's characters debating big ideas.

Sometimes it works for me and I enjoy it, but when it doesn't, I often find myself thinking he should have just written an essay or opinion piece.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    I've decided to update my watching list. It's very non-Sorkin
    Days of Thunder - this movie needs to be remastered for modern home systems. The sound should be incredible, roaring crashing, etc.. It's not. The movie holds up about as well as you can hope an early 90s movie about NASCAR can hold up. Watch Talladega Nights instead.

Bob's Burgers - my favorite cartoon right now

WWE Smackdown/RAW - I love the shortened version of RAW. It's like watching the shortened NBA games on league pass. The best.
  • Options
    Three Kings (1999) - George Clooney, Ice Cube, Mark Wahlberg - watched this just before they took it down from Netflix. I had not seen it before and enjoyed it quite a bit. Lots of adrenaline pounding action with just the right mix of humor to keep it from getting too serious.
  • Options
    Kilmarock said:

Three Kings (1999) - George Clooney, Ice Cube, Mark Wahlberg - watched this just before they took it down from Netflix. I had not seen it before and enjoyed it quite a bit. Lots of adrenaline pounding action with just the right mix of humor to keep it from getting too serious.

That was one of my favorite films the year it came out.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Anyone watched The Circle yet? Netflix keeps telling me I should watch it. It looks low budget but the plot sounds intriguing.

My wife is enjoying the series Dark Matter. Personally I think the acting is so awful I can't get into the story she keeps raving about.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Mr_Cosmic said:

My wife is enjoying the series Dark Matter. Personally I think the acting is so awful I can't get into the story she keeps raving about.

Ive not seen it yet, but I thought the comic was interesting enough. It was a decent sci-fi story.
  • Options
    Kilmarock said:

I really liked 3 Kings. I thought it was a lot of fun.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    The run of watching anime series with my son continues with Fairy Tail. Gilmore Girls with the missus, which I enjoyed when it orginally aired. Friends with the daughter. For me, myself and I, I've been watching season two of both Agents of SMASH and Avengers Assemble.

Not Netflix, but I've been watching Challenge of the Super-Friends and Laff-A-Lympics with the kids through Amazon.
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    There's a collection of recent Disney Animated shorts. There's some really inventive and lovely stuff like Paperman and Feast.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    DAR said:

There's a collection of recent Disney Animated shorts. There's some really inventive and lovely stuff like Paperman and Feast.

Yep, http://www.netflix.com/title/80062011
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Just finished season 1 on the Blacklist. Holy cow, James Spader is awesome.
  • Options
    Watched Tears of the Sun recently. I had forgotten how much I like that movie. Grizzled old Navy Seal Bruce Willis is cool, but Eamon Walker and Cole Hauser are awesome!

Tonight I just wrapped up Drew: The Man Behind the Poster, a documentary on Drew Struzan - the artist behind so many of the iconic movie poster and record albums from my youth. Really an engaging film.
  • Options
    DAR said:

The feast became real at my house. The dog becomes super interested in the little girl when she has anything to eat.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    A fun weekend of movie watching on Netflix
    Bourne Identity and Bourne Supremacy

District B13 - What a fun movie I flipped it on last night, not knowing anything about it. So this is the french version of Brick Mansions (Paul Walker, RZA, parkour dude from District B13). I watched Brick Mansions earlier this year, and when I flipped this on I was a little surprised that BM was a remake.

Lots of parkour (which is fun to watch) and gangsters. I recommend both District B13 and Brick Mansions.
  • Options

Just finished season 1 on the Blacklist. Holy cow, James Spader is awesome.

I re-watched Age of Ultron last night (my wife hadn't seen it yet), and I think Spader's performance was the only thing that sill held some surprises for me on a second viewing. It seems so obvious on a second viewing, but I got more of how he was aiming for a sort of evil Tony Stark meets AI kind of thing. First time around, I was a little thrown because reading the comics, the voice in my head for Ultron sounded nothing like that. To be honest, it was always kind of generic evil robot. Now I can't imagine him without Spader's voice.
  • Options
    America's Test Kitchen. Season 14.. Love this should..