Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Netflix/Streaming/TV--- Whatcha watching?

Comments

• Options
    DAR said:

The Guest. A ridiculously entertaining thriller.

It's so weird... My wife and I spent the hour after watching it talking about how dumb it was, then found ourselves still recommending it to people excitedly.
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    Hulu has all seven seasons of the Shield. Might delve into that
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    DAR said:

Hulu has all seven seasons of the Shield. Might delve into that

It's a hell of a series.
  • Options
    Not on Netflix, but I finally watched Age of Ultron on my Amazon Prime Starz subscription. I think the "meh" buzz around the movie leveled my expectations to the exact right point to enjoy the movie. I mean, Ultron was kinda lame and the humor was groan-worthy, the maximoffs and Vision were super underdeveloped, there were no F-yeah moments like "I'm always angry", the middle gets sidetracked with setting up future movies, the conclusion repeated a lot of the same beats as the first on and even having watched AoS I thought Nick Fury's appearance was a deus ex machina that was just a little too convenient. That's a lot of complaints, but honestly I still enjoyed it. I think if I had seen it cold, these things would have added up to a deal breaker for me, but I knew going in the movie had a lot of these issues and none of them killed the momentum to badly.

On a totally Netflix related note, just started watching Making a Murderer and its bananas.

• Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    A Bridge Too Far is currently on MoviePlex. What a fantastic movie! What an absurdly spectacular cast!
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    hauberk said:

A Bridge Too Far is currently on MoviePlex. What a fantastic movie! What an absurdly spectacular cast!

Not my favorite war movie involving a bridge (see Bridge over the River Kwai), but you rarely go wrong with a William Goldman screenplay.
  • Options
    hauberk said:

It's the Ocean's 11 of WW2 films.
  • Options
    edited January 2016

hauberk said:

Not my favorite war movie involving a bridge (see Bridge over the River Kwai), but you rarely go wrong with a William Goldman screenplay.
    Of the things that I love about this movie:

It's based on actual events and largely features actors portraying actual historical persons - I've not yet read the Cornelius Ryan book, but his other work The Longest Day was superb.

They actually show a piat gun (the weird little anti tank weapon being ineffectively deployed against the German tank by Frost's (Anthony Hopkins) men) in operation.

Getting a glimpse into the time and effort necessary to deploy a Bailey Bridge.

Robert Redfords flippant little speeches to his men.

John Ratzenberger makes an appearance!

Hardy Kruger offering the allied chocolate to Hopkins.

The umbrella story.
  • Options
    David_D said:

hauberk said:

I think that The Longest Day may take that title but it's a close thing. Is say the same for the more recent Thin Red Line, but all I can really remember of that movie, aside from the trailer, is a great sense of disappointment and a prolonged sense of boredom.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    edited January 2016
    hauberk said:

David_D said:

hauberk said:

I think that The Longest Day may take that title but it's a close thing. Is say the same for the more recent Thin Red Line, but all I can really remember of that movie, aside from the trailer, is a great sense of disappointment and a prolonged sense of boredom.
    I was about to say The Thin Red Line, followed by a comment of how disappointing/boring it was.

So really Red Line is not anything like an Oceans movie. Those are at least entertaining; it's more like a bad episode of Entourage.
  • Options
    I've been watching Strikeback on Amazon Prime. That is a really good action show; CineMax did a great job with Strikeback and Banshee. I plowed through season 1 of Strikeback and I'm almost done with season 2.

Is Banshee streaming anywhere? Ive just watched it on DVDs.
  • Options
    Strikeback, from what I've seen, has some spectacular moments of action chained together by just a bit too much boot knocking for my taste.
  • Options
    hauberk said:

Strikeback, from what I've seen, has some spectacular moments of action chained together by just a bit too much boot knocking for my taste.

That's my issue with the show (and Banshee) It's a SkinaMax show. I watch it on a device so the fast forward pretty easily; I'm not big fan of having a 5 minute sex scene every episode.
    The second season is much better about spacing out the boot knocking. The storyline in season is also much better.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    mwhitt80 said:

hauberk said:

That's my issue with the show (and Banshee) It's a SkinaMax show. I watch it on a device so the fast forward pretty easily; I'm not big fan of having a 5 minute sex scene every episode.
    The second season is much better about spacing out the boot knocking. The storyline in season is also much better.
    I'd rather watch this:

• Options
    mwhitt80 said:

I've been watching Strikeback on Amazon Prime. That is a really good action show; CineMax did a great job with Strikeback and Banshee. I plowed through season 1 of Strikeback and I'm almost done with season 2.

Is Banshee streaming anywhere? Ive just watched it on DVDs.

At least the first season is also on Amazon Prime. The others will be available over time, but if you don't want to wait DVD is the way to go.
  • Options
    DmanDman Posts: 163
    I've finished Sense 8 last week and overall, really enjoyed this series. Considering the premise of the series, the editing and cinematography was just so awesome. At the beginning I thought some of the characters' stories were more interesting than others but as I got closer to the finale, I felt emotionally invested in all of them. That last shot was perfect. I can't wait for the second season.

I'm finishing up Jessica Jones; saw Episode 10: 1000 Cuts the other day and man oh man, the villain, Killgrave, is one mean little bitch.
  • Options
    With Australia day just been and Hateful eight in cinemas i'd recommend a Documentary called "not quite Hollywood" where Quintin Tarintino talks about Australian Exploitation Cinema . great doco on films you probably never heard of except Mad Max
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I started watching the anime Knights of Sidonia and it's really enjoyable.
  • Options
    hauberk said:

David_D said:

hauberk said:

I didn't hate Thin Red Line. (Though, I also only saw it once, in a beautiful theater, and that was a long time ago, when had I far fewer obligations. I might be less forgiving to it's excesses now). I would say the key difference between it and Bridge Too Far, though, is that Bridge Too Far had a huge, amazing cast of actors, but actually succeeded in giving so many of them meaty things to do. It felt like an ensemble piece. Whereas Thin Red Line was mostly just a few characters, but then there were what felt like a lot of distracting celebrity cameos.
  • Options
    David_D said:

hauberk said:

David_D said:

hauberk said:

I didn't hate Thin Red Line. (Though, I also only saw it once, in a beautiful theater, and that was a long time ago, when had I far fewer obligations. I might be less forgiving to it's excesses now). I would say the key difference between it and Bridge Too Far, though, is that Bridge Too Far had a huge, amazing cast of actors, but actually succeeded in giving so many of them meaty things to do. It felt like an ensemble piece. Whereas Thin Red Line was mostly just a few characters, but then there were what felt like a lot of distracting celebrity cameos.
    And an overall, unengaging story.

imo
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    Hulu also had The Joy of Painting with Bob Ross. It's still mesmerizing
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    I'm watching Banshee season 3 and Hannibal season 1.

Hannibal will be getting the lion's share of my attention, as I have three seasons to run through.
  • Options
    Netflix:

House of Cards (Season 1) - good but not great; it definitely has its moments but not enough of them for me to continue watching

Third Rock from the Sun (Season 3) - love this show, even though not every episode is great

Jessica Jones (Season 1) - I wasn't sure what to expect going in, I never read the comics, but the show was quite good

Hulu:

Fargo (Season 1) - excellent, outstanding, one of the best tv shows I have watched in years; love the dark tone of the show, and the way it both evokes memories of the movie and does its own thing; it kept me guessing right up until the very end
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited February 2016
    DAR said:

Hulu also had The Joy of Painting with Bob Ross. It's still mesmerizing

Twitch has a channel dedicated to Bob Ross videos. It's funny because there is a chat room open and you can see what people are saying during the videos. It's almost Rocky Horror Picture show like in that people "shout" out things in chat when he does certain things. For example, if he cleans his large brush and "beats the devil out of it" the chat goes crazy with "R.I.P. SATAN!!!" ...I dunno, I guess you have to be there...
  • Options
    Netflix has a metric ton of HGTV shows, which are interesting and pertinent to me because I'm two weeks away from closing on a new home.

Otherwise, I'm on HULU watching Valvrave the Liberator or Legion of Super-Heroes on Amazon Prime.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967

Netflix has a metric ton of HGTV shows, which are interesting and pertinent to me because I'm two weeks away from closing on a new home.

Otherwise, I'm on HULU watching Valvrave the Liberator or Legion of Super-Heroes on Amazon Prime.

My wife is a home designer (bathrooms & kitchens mostly) and we've definitely watched our fill of Property Brothers, Income Property, House Hunters, and Holmes on Holmes.
  • Options
    Started watching Twin Peaks. So far so good. Lots of curious background behavior. Also, the actor the plays Bobby has something about his appearance that makes me think of Dan Brereton's art.
  • Options
    hauberk said:

Started watching Twin Peaks. So far so good. Lots of curious background behavior. Also, the actor the plays Bobby has something about his appearance that makes me think of Dan Brereton's art.

Great series, despite the not completely satisfying ending. I actually wrote a Psychology paper on it during the second season, so I “had” to watch every episode. I'd always go to Krispy Kreme and get a hot, fresh doughnut before the show started (along with a glass of milk from the fridge). It was the best way to watch the show as a poor college student who couldn't afford to buy a pie every week.
  • Options
    DmanDman Posts: 163

hauberk said:

Great series, despite the not completely satisfying ending. I actually wrote a Psychology paper on it during the second season, so I “had” to watch every episode. I'd always go to Krispy Kreme and get a hot, fresh doughnut before the show started (along with a glass of milk from the fridge). It was the best way to watch the show as a poor college student who couldn't afford to buy a pie every week.
    What I love most about this show coming back as a cable show (Showtime) is that when it was on, it was a series sooo before its time. It would fit perfectly within this current golden age of TV, especially since creator and great film director David Lynch is directing every last episode with most of the cast coming back.

I've been re-watching this 90s series as well and it totally holds up.
  • Options
    Dman said:

What I love most about this show coming back as a cable show (Showtime) is that when it was on, it was a series sooo before its time. It would fit perfectly within this current golden age of TV, especially since creator and great film director David Lynch is directing every last episode with most of the cast coming back.

I've been re-watching this 90s series as well and it totally holds up.

I re-watched most of it five or six years ago, and I think it mostly held up. The thing about Twin Peaks is that, as you said, it was way ahead of its time. When the first episode aired, everyone was talking about it. And that strong buzz lasted probably half of the first season. I think the further step into weirdness of the second season drove a lot of viewers away. I don’t know that it would make nearly the same impact today because it would just be one of several interesting, unique shows, and one with less mass appeal than a show like Mad Men. I am very interested in seeing what they do it with it though.