Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice (Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    edited December 2015
    Still, I do like Henry Cavill in the Clark Kent persona.
  • Options
    bamfbamfbamfbamf Posts: 718
    it looked good to me

sad that they gave away the Doomsday plot (which is why i dont watch anything past the 1st trailer)

but it looked pretty good

lex luthor is going to be horrible... and batfleck can't act... but it looks like a fun popcorn flick!
  • Options
    kiwijasekiwijase Posts: 451
    More Wonder Woman please.
  • Options

Sooooo.....Parademons?
  • Options
    bamfbamfbamfbamf Posts: 718
    omg.. i just started reading some of these movie rumors on the origins of Wonder Woman and Aquaman...

if they r true... DC fans r gonna be p1ssed
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    It's batman and superman in one movie. It's gonna be awesome. End of discussion. @David_D you can wrap this one up and tie a bow on it. We're all done here :smile:
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    luke52 said:

It's batman and superman in one movie. It's gonna be awesome. End of discussion. @David_D you can wrap this one up and tie a bow on it. We're all done here :smile:

I'm more hopeful then most, but "it's gonna be awesome" sounds like a stretch.

M
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Doomsday...but created by Lex...so Bizarro-Doomsday?

I can't believe this hot mess will also have Aquaman, Flash, etc..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fis-9Zqu2Ro

I agree with @Mr_Cosmic

this trailer makes the movie look like a hot mess.
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    luke52 said:

I can't count the number of times I've had this discussion.
    25 years ago Bats and Sups were THE biggest superheroes on the planet. If every kid in the world wasn't ravenous for them, they at least knew who they were (way more than any other hero). Read Brad Ricca's Super Boys: The Amazing Adventures of Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster - the Creators of Superman to get an idea of how massive Superman was at the height of his popularity. Only Mickey Mouse held a candle to his worldwide recognition. Then DC (and especially Warner) sat back and rested on their laurels. Marvels' underdogs from the 60's & 70's snuck in the back door and pulled the rug out from beneath them. Superman is the original (modern day comic book) Superhero. He SHOULD (and deserves to) be the greatest and most popular of all. To quote @luke52 from above "It's batman and superman in one movie." - that is all you need. That sentence alone should be making comic book fandom, and every kid in the world, loose their minds. How long have we waited for this!?! It SHOULD be the biggest and most successful comic book movie of all time!

Yet...

When Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice was announced, I shrugged, uttered a "meh" and quietly said I'll check it out on video. "It's batman and superman in one movie." and I wasn't even interested in seeing it in the theatre. That is how badly Warner has dropped the ball in their management of these two properties. Every kids' dream come true... THE two biggest heroes in the comic book kingdom and I couldn't even bother to watch the trailer. Admittedly I am more of a Marvel guy, but I respect the history and I WANT the Superman and Batman characters to get the treatment and respect they deserve. For me, Sups and Bats need to be the greatest heroes in the world. That is the correct world order. As someone who makes a living working with "brands", it boggles (and angers me) how Warner (and DC) could so badly misinterpret what they have under their noses. How could they let these two characters languish and become so humdrum?

So when I finally bothered to get around to viewing the most recent trailer for Batman V Superman, it brought a smile to my face. Is it going to be awesome? maybe. maybe not. But at least now I'm interested, and I WILL go see it in the theatre. There is hope that Batman V Superman will be as successful as these two deserve. I would very much like to see them restored to (at least some) of their former glory.
  • Options
    I'm glad I'm not in the "brands" business.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Matt said:

luke52 said:

I'm more hopeful then most, but "it's gonna be awesome" sounds like a stretch.

M
    It'll only be a stretch if Plastic Man turns up...
  • Options
    I've watched this a few times now. Just in the hopes that maybe I'm missing something. That if I saw it one more time, I'd get the goosebumps that I got from seeing the Civil War trailer. Nope. Not even when I saw the DC Trinity looking united. Nope. Didn't happen. It looks okay but I'm not excited for it.
  • Options
    jaydee74 said:

I've watched this a few times now. Just in the hopes that maybe I'm missing something. That if I saw it one more time, I'd get the goosebumps that I got from seeing the Civil War trailer. Nope. Not even when I saw the DC Trinity looking united. Nope. Didn't happen. It looks okay but I'm not excited for it.

jaydee74 said:

I found it bizarre you get this great Trinity shot...then realized Batman has some type of gun. Granted, we don't know what the weapon actually is, but I think he should've at least been holding a couple batarangs to begin the fight.

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

jaydee74 said:

jaydee74 said:

I found it bizarre you get this great Trinity shot...then realized Batman has some type of gun. Granted, we don't know what the weapon actually is, but I think he should've at least been holding a couple batarangs to begin the fight.

M
    Cause, you know, what you need when you're facing down Doomsday with Superman and Wonder Woman by your side is a handful of batarangs that'll just glance off his skin like gnats.

Which I mean, obviously, sarcastically but not personally. More than any other Batman & Superman team up, I feel like this movie is going to have to do more to convince the audience that Batman is crucial to the team. (Yes we can have the comic book debate that's as old as the characters, but does that mean it translates into a believable plot point? That's the trick they need to pull off.)
  • Options

Matt said:

jaydee74 said:

jaydee74 said:

M
    Cause, you know, what you need when you're facing down Doomsday with Superman and Wonder Woman by your side is a handful of batarangs that'll just glance off his skin like gnats.

Which I mean, obviously, sarcastically but not personally. More than any other Batman & Superman team up, I feel like this movie is going to have to do more to convince the audience that Batman is crucial to the team. (Yes we can have the comic book debate that's as old as the characters, but does that mean it translates into a believable plot point? That's the trick they need to pull off.)
    Have you never seen his array of batarangs; explosive, tacky, electrified, etc. Plus, this is the first time (presumably) they confronted each other. How does Batman know his batarangs will just bounce off? How many of his battles start off with unsuccessful attempts before assessing the situation to properly fight a superior foe?

If you're going to tell me Batman needs to arm himself with firearms to be crucial to the team, then you've already lost me in this version. He doesn't need to pick up a discarded shot gun or an Ingram to prove his worth.

Hell, Lois could do that & add another female to the team roster!

M
  • Options

You're talking about this trailer? http://www.slashfilm.com/batman-v-superman-dawn-of-justice-trailer/

Lighter in tone, yes, and fine with me. It's a trailer and not the whole movie. Hell, after hearing endlessly here and elsewhere how it sucked how MoS was too dark and the same for the first BvS trailer, it's hilarious how that was the first comment I heard about this one before I even saw it, and it was a negative.

My problem isn't that the trailer was lighter in tone, it was how unsuccessful it was at being light. It was painful to watch, like an episode of Saved By The Bell where Zack takes two girls to the dance and their about to discover one another.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Not a great trailer. Poorly cut imo and did little to increase my interest. Already disliking lex as I kindve expected to but even moreso now. Doimsday? Whatever, maybe what they do with it will be ok, we'll see. Wonder Woman? Same thing. Superman? Already know what we're gonna get. Next to nothing there for me. Just like from the get go for me, the only good thing (potentially) and excitement worthy element here is afleck / batman. I'll see it in the theatre but I expect nothing but a few eye candy effects and scenes connected by a bunch of meh and flat out crap. Basically like man of steel but potentially worse. we'll see.
  • Options
    I'll admit, despite being a Batman fan, he interests me the least in what I've seen thus far. Affleck looks the part in the Bat suit, but I can't stop thinking "that's Ben Affleck" when he's playing Bruce Wayne. The initial part of his dialogue to Kent at Lex's party (up until the part of puff pieces) sounds like Affleck is trying to add a bizarre voice inflection. His voice as Batman isn't impressing me either.

All in all, the continuance of Kent's storyline & the introduction of Diana will be my motivation to see this movie.

M
  • Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    Did anyone notice that Bill Finger was credited as co-creator of Batman in the...well, credits?
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    Finally saw the new trailer and... it just looks like a mess.

And maybe they're holding a lot back, but I feel like I saw most of the must-see moments in that trailer. I kind of figured Doomsday was in it, but I still would have liked to have been surprised. This just looks like a studio panicking and showing us a condensed version of the film to convince us that we'll like it.

I've liked Eisenberg in other things, and I think he's a good actor, if a little annoying in real life, but my gut feeling is that his Luthor is going to go down as a misfire. What should have been a strong, recurring villain for the burgeoning DC film universe is probably going to be quietly forgotten instead.
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    jaydee74 said:

See neither this nor the Civil War trailer got me excited. I'll see both, but I'm more intrigued by Suicide Squad and Dr. Strange only because of my complete lack of familiarity with those properties
  • Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    The trailer did little for me. I'll still see the movie, for WB has promised me a free advanced screening ticket, but I'm not exactly Jonesing to see it, which is a pity for this is a big screening convergence I've been waiting to see unfold ever since I was a wee lad.

Eisenberg as Lex isn't working for me, or least what they've shown of him in the trailers isn't. Batman with a gun = a definite turnoff and the scenes with Lex introducing Bruce to Clark and the unmasking of Batman = a pair of scenes that would have been much better served being left for moviegoers.

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    This reminds me of a King Kong Vs Godzilla movie (which they are remaking), or a Dracula Meets the Wolfman pairing. It may be the marketing of it, or the title that's also putting me off, like it's a title bout. It just seems too silly for its own good.

And does Eisenberg remind anyone of the same character he played in American Ultra?

Other than slick aesthetics, does Snyder have any original ideas at are actually good? Other than the novelty of this pairing, I'm not sure what the draw is. Ever since Frank Miller's seminal Dark Knight Returns series, everyone has wanted to see Supers and Batman try to kill each other, and it's been done over and over to diminishing returns.
  • Options
    Matt said:

I'll admit, despite being a Batman fan, he interests me the least in what I've seen thus far. Affleck looks the part in the Bat suit, but I can't stop thinking "that's Ben Affleck" when he's playing Bruce Wayne. The initial part of his dialogue to Kent at Lex's party (up until the part of puff pieces) sounds like Affleck is trying to add a bizarre voice inflection. His voice as Batman isn't impressing me either.

All in all, the continuance of Kent's storyline & the introduction of Diana will be my motivation to see this movie.

M

I listened to the back and forth dialogue between Clark and Bruce and it sounded at the beginning, Affleck was trying some kind of accent and it just sounded weird. Then when he says, "Maybe it's the Gotham City in me", it sounded like someone from New York talking to someone from Boston to me. I don't mind him as Batman or Bruce Wayne. His Batman voice is at least more coherent than Bale who I swear I still need subtitles to understand him.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    jaydee74 said:

Matt said:

M

I listened to the back and forth dialogue between Clark and Bruce and it sounded at the beginning, Affleck was trying some kind of accent and it just sounded weird. Then when he says, "Maybe it's the Gotham City in me", it sounded like someone from New York talking to someone from Boston to me. I don't mind him as Batman or Bruce Wayne. His Batman voice is at least more coherent than Bale who I swear I still need subtitles to understand him.
    Bale's Batman voice suffered from the dialogue he had to deliver. Keaton, who had the best cinematically, had minimal dialogue as Batman. When he had lines, they were simple & direct.

Lines such as "where's the trigger? You wouldn't give it to an ordinary citizen" made him sound ridiculous. Having stated that, I really like what Bale did with the voice (at least when HE did it). It was distinct from his Bruce Wayne & even had a different tone depending on who he was conversing with. Keaton, Kilmer, & it looks like Affleck just whispers as Batman. Clooney Adam West-ed it, and had the same voice in & out of mask.

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

jaydee74 said:

Matt said:

M

Bale's Batman voice suffered from the dialogue he had to deliver. Keaton, who had the best cinematically, had minimal dialogue as Batman. When he had lines, they were simple & direct.

Lines such as "where's the trigger? You wouldn't give it to an ordinary citizen" made him sound ridiculous. Having stated that, I really like what Bale did with the voice (at least when HE did it). It was distinct from his Bruce Wayne & even had a different tone depending on who he was conversing with. Keaton, Kilmer, & it looks like Affleck just whispers as Batman. Clooney Adam West-ed it, and had the same voice in & out of mask.

M
    Or when he's trying to calm Rachel down, and he's barking at her like a rabid dog. Surely he could smoothed out the rough edges a little bit when he wasn't shouting at criminals.
  • Options
    chrisw said:

Matt said:

jaydee74 said:

Matt said:

M

M
    Or when he's trying to calm Rachel down, and he's barking at her like a rabid dog. Surely he could smoothed out the rough edges a little bit when he wasn't shouting at criminals.
    Wasn't that only when she seemed to be blacking out right before the Tumbler jumped into the Batcave? That made sense; intense situation, he's losing her, & trying to get her attention.

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

chrisw said:

Matt said:

jaydee74 said:

Matt said:

M

M
    Wasn't that only when she seemed to be blacking out right before the Tumbler jumped into the Batcave? That made sense; intense situation, he's losing her, & trying to get her attention.

M
    It still felt weird to me.

Pretty much anything that required either emotion or sentences requiring any complexity beyond barking orders felt odd to me in that voice. It didn't allow for much nuance.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    chrisw said:

Matt said:

chrisw said:

Matt said:

jaydee74 said:

Matt said:

M

M

M
    It still felt weird to me.

Pretty much anything that required either emotion or sentences requiring any complexity beyond barking orders felt odd to me in that voice. It didn't allow for much nuance.
    I don't really remember having a problem with bales bat-voice in Begins. In fact, if I remember right, I think I actually dug it?.. at least the very first time he used it there. However I found it to be increasingly more ridiculous in each of the following movies. By the end it was pretty laughable to me.
    So far with what I've heard, I'm personally liking this batmans voice.
  • Options
    I think it was the worse in Dark Knight. It's just ridiculous at times. I think Keaton did it well but also, he was written very well because he barely speaks as @Matt pointed out. I think Kevin Conroy did it best. He had a great Bruce Wayne voice and then as Batman is was deep and different and it was very cool. I think Bale overdid it with the voice but I remember him in interviews giving the reason why. Ah:
    cinemablend.com/new/Christian-Bale-Reveals-Origin-His-Batman-Voice-How-His-Wife-Found-It-Dumb-40353.html