Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

All-New, All-Different Marvel Universe/ Marvel NOW 2.0 (Might contain some spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    edited December 2015
    Brian Hibbs perspective regarding sales of the all new all different Marvel, Secret Wars, and DC You.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/tilting-at-windmills-trouble-on-the-horizon

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967

Brian Hibbs perspective regarding sales of the all new all different Marvel, Secret Wars, and DC You.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/tilting-at-windmills-trouble-on-the-horizon

Great article. Thanks for sharing. This portion really stood out to me.

Regarding...
    new and young readership? Marvel actually was starting to attract some of them at our stores -- books like "Squirrel Girl," "Ms. Marvel" and the Jane Foster "Thor" title were racking solid sales for us outside of the "traditional" Marvel customer. But that new/younger readership? They literally don't understand why you would start a book over again at #1. It makes no sense to them! And that confusion appears to have shooed a number of them off. In an equivalent sales period, our sales of the first issues of all of those series are actually below (dramatically so in the case of "Thor!") the final issues of the "old series" -- which was only on issue #8 for two of the three! But readers appear to be treating the relaunches as simply "issue #9." That's not typical consumer behavior.

And I hear similar things from many other retailers -- the "word on the street" from a wide swath of stores is that a vast indifference has begun to creep in among the readers of superhero comics, and that this miasma is softening the 4th quarter enough to potentially threaten these stores. This is scary because an enormous amount of stores in the market don't really have a fall-back position from "we sell superhero comics." As the old saying goes "They carry both kinds of comics: Marvel and DC!" Which puts you in a bad position if both companies are underperforming at the same time.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457

Wait, Secret Wars was selling well until the delays? That's weird.

M
  • Options
    Why am I not surprised to see that as Marvel’s sell-through is proportedly in decline—it isn't in my shop, but my shop has always ordered sensibly—I am inversely finding more Marvel comics I'm excited about than I have in the past 30 years?
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    And I hear similar things from many other retailers -- the "word on the street" from a wide swath of stores is that a vast indifference has begun to creep in among the readers of superhero comics, and that this miasma is softening the 4th quarter enough to potentially threaten these stores.
    That's where I'm at. I haven't cared about DC for a couple years now and ANAD Marvel is not(for the most part) doing it for me.
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

And I hear similar things from many other retailers -- the "word on the street" from a wide swath of stores is that a vast indifference has begun to creep in among the readers of superhero comics, and that this miasma is softening the 4th quarter enough to potentially threaten these stores.
    That's where I'm at. I haven't cared about DC for a couple years now and ANAD Marvel is not(for the most part) doing it for me.
    My “vast indifference” to superhero comics began to creep in during the mid-’90s and was pretty strong the first half of this decade. But over the past couple of years, they've been putting out more and more titles I can enjoy, and I'm reading more superhero titles now than I have since the days I worked at a comic shop.
  • Options

Mr_Cosmic said:

My “vast indifference” to superhero comics began to creep in during the mid-’90s and was pretty strong the first half of this decade. But over the past couple of years, they've been putting out more and more titles I can enjoy, and I'm reading more superhero titles now than I have since the days I worked at a comic shop.

That's great and I love that there are things that are getting people excited. My interest tends to ebb and flow and I'm sure I'll be pumped for superhero books again in no time.
  • Options
    It seems like the big 2 find a title that's doing well, then try to copy that in other titles. The problem is many stories and settings don't work with other characters. Also, they lose sight of the characters' identities. E.g., Wolverine. He has a bad temper and fans love when the claws come out and he goes berzerk. Trying to push the selling point, Marvel turns temper into angry all the time. It gets boring and redundant. Batman sells, so DC make everything dark, instead of trying to find stories that work for each character.
  • Options
    Anyone else having a hard time keeping track of which books are which? I mean there's All-New All-Different X-Men, Extraordinary X-Men, and Uncanny X-Men and honestly, I have no idea which plotline goes with which book. Not to mention once you factor in All-New All-Different Avengers, Uncanny Avengers, All-New Inhumans, and Uncanny Inhumans, it all makes my head hurt.
  • Options
    It's very confusing. Maybe it isn't if a person is willing to devote the time to sort it all out but who does? Once I saw the lineup following Secret Wars I knew my time of buying monthly comics was coming to an end. I just can't keep up with all the different versions of each team and the constant new number ones. Marvel, you've accomplished what DC has..you've lost me.
  • Options

Anyone else having a hard time keeping track of which books are which? I mean there's All-New All-Different X-Men, Extraordinary X-Men, and Uncanny X-Men and honestly, I have no idea which plotline goes with which book. Not to mention once you factor in All-New All-Different Avengers, Uncanny Avengers, All-New Inhumans, and Uncanny Inhumans, it all makes my head hurt.

Nope, because I don't read any of them. If you don't bother looking at them, they can't confuse you. :smiley:
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited February 2016

I don't know-- I know that some of the titles have gotten longer, and that can make them a little busier to look at. But as far as parsing the difference between books I don't know that it is any harder than it was two or three years ago. I don't pay any attention to the Inhumans books, so I can't speak for those. But, in the case of X-Men, All-New seems to still be about the time-displaced team, Uncanny are the outlaws, and Uncanny Avengers is still the Unity Squad. I don't really know what Extraordinary X-Men is meant to be, but then again, a year ago I couldn't have told you what the heck Amazing X-Men, or adjectiveless X-Men were supposed to be, either. So that is nothing new. There have long been one or two 'main' X-books, and then the extra ones.

In the case of Avengers, the Avengers book is the public team who see themselves as truly carrying the mantle, and New Avengers, while no longer an Illuminati book about secretive power, like during the Hickman era, are a very different and new entity, trying to be Avengers in a different (new) way.

Again, the names are a little long and silly. But I don't know that parsing the difference between the titles is any harder than it was in previous eras.
  • Options
    David_D said:

Again, the names are a little long and silly. But I don't know that parsing the difference between the titles is any harder than it was in previous eras.

Yeah, things were just as confusing during the Uncanny Era and the Extraordinary Era. But they were surprisingly straightforward during the All-New Extraordinarily Uncanny Era—except for the Return of the Bride of the Son of Satan book; I could never figure that one out. They should have just called it Hellcat.
  • Options
    David_D said:

Well, it was mostly tongue-in-cheek, but in all seriousness I have to pause with them and think, "Okay, now is this the one with the plant guy that ate Boston, or ...?"

• Options
    For everyone who doesn't like the all the changes at Marvel and pine for the old days—or for those who just want to read an awesome Marvel comic—do yourself a favor and pick up Power Man & Iron Fist #1. It's old school Marvel storytelling with modern dialogue and artistic flair. I had very high hopes for this one and I was not disappointed.

(Plus the first issue is $3.99, not $4.99.)

Strong Buy!
  • Options

For everyone who doesn't like the all the changes at Marvel and pine for the old days—or for those who just want to read an awesome Marvel comic—do yourself a favor and pick up Power Man & Iron Fist #1. It's old school Marvel storytelling with modern dialogue and artistic flair. I had very high hopes for this one and I was not disappointed.

(Plus the first issue is $3.99, not $4.99.)

Strong Buy!

I have to admit that this was a comic that caught my eye when I saw it in Previews. I didn't order it but I'll check it out in trade or back issues. I know some people seem to not like the art but I think it looks pretty cool..from what I've seen anyway. Glad to hear you like it.

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    edited February 2016
    Sad to hear Tom King is going exclusive with DC. Vision is a really interesting book, and I know he had more than the initial twelve-issue story thought out. And frankly, I think it's the best book he's writing now. Good on DC for locking up a writer with a strong voice though.
  • Options
    BrackBrack Posts: 868
    Avengers Standoff: Welcome To Pleasant Hill #1 picked up a plot point from Sam Wilson Captain America #1 and delivered a comic with a final page that was both a surprise and a great callback.
  • Options
    Brack said:

Avengers Standoff: Welcome To Pleasant Hill #1 picked up a plot point from Sam Wilson Captain America #1 and delivered a comic with a final page that was both a surprise and a great callback.

I agree. Didn't see it coming. I was initially turned off by the "hokiness" (is that a word?) of the name of the book, but man, I'm hooked.
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    edited February 2016
    Brack said:

...a final page that was both a surprise and a great callback.

No doubt. Especially with Bagley's artwork. I had almost the exact same reaction as that "other" callback's last page. I wasn't expecting to like this book as much as I did.
    and as @TheOriginalGMan wrote; "but man, I'm hooked."

Can't wait to see who else pops up in Pleasant Hill.
  • Options
    Hex said:

Brack said:

...a final page that was both a surprise and a great callback.

No doubt. Especially with Bagley's artwork. I had almost the exact same reaction as that "other" callback's last page. I wasn't expecting to like this book as much as I did.
    and as @TheOriginalGMan wrote; "but man, I'm hooked."

Can't wait to see who else pops up in Pleasant Hill.
    That's great-- I forgot about the Bagley connection.
  • Options
    hornheadhornhead Posts: 137
    So.. I've caught up with everything and I waited until Secret Wars finished up before I read the new books. I know I didn't have to, but it was fun getting through the pile.

My favorite book of the ANAD titles that I'm reading is hands down Dr. Strange. Jason Aaron hooked me on the title- I have a few appearances but never really dove in with Strange until now, and Aaron has really done an awesome job of explaining magic as NOT the "fix-all" power it can often be portrayed as. Plus the art is fabulous. This book rules.

Bendis' Iron Man has been really fun too, and I'm sticking with Miles Morales as well. I don't always love BMB, but Bendis with Marquez & Pichelli= fun books, as they were in the Ultimate U.

Thor isn't All-New or All-Different, but that's fine- I am glad to stick with it under Aaron & Dauterman.

I'm reading 3 Charles Soule books.. I prefer the Uncanny Inhumans book to All-New (which is probably headed for the drop after the rest of my preordered books ship). The first Uncanny Inhumans arc was cool- time travelin' with Kang. I'm new to the characters but enjoy them and there's some interesting conflict set up in Uncanny Inhumans.

Which brings me to my personal flagship title, Daredevil. Alas, I'm pretty bored with the story and art, which to me reads like a low-end Chichester tale from the '90s. I think the sidekick could be interesting but there's little in the first three issues to make me care one way or the other.. and also, three issues in I think it's time for a few answers to be delivered- where's Kirsten, why are we back in NY, how's the identity back in the bag (it seems Secret Wars didn't put it there..). Soule has done work I've liked, so I'm hoping this improves.

Hawkeye is still fun under Jeff Lemire, who's work I've always enjoyed. It's not quite Fraction-Aja, but seriously, what is? I'm on board for now.

I'm planning on dropping Ant-Man after my ordered issues come in, and I think I'll at least know why he's in jail by then. It's not bad.. just OK and the novelty has worn off for me (I did read the previous Nick Spencer 5-ish series).

I'll be checking out a few more in the next few months- Black Widow with Waid/Samnee, Black Panther, Power Man & Iron Fist, Moon Knight under Lemire, and Bendis' 2nd Iron Man book. And they've probably sucked me in for the Civil War II event.

It's been fun trying all of these, we'll see which ones ultimately stick. I probably won't keep them all long-term. The clear "can't cut" books are Strange and Thor right now for me, followed by Iron Man and the Miles book.. and I'd be hard-pressed to cut Daredevil, but that's just because of my affinity for the character.
  • Options
    hornhead said:

So.. I've caught up with everything and I waited until Secret Wars finished up before I read the new books. I know I didn't have to, but it was fun getting through the pile.

My favorite book of the ANAD titles that I'm reading is hands down Dr. Strange. Jason Aaron hooked me on the title- I have a few appearances but never really dove in with Strange until now, and Aaron has really done an awesome job of explaining magic as NOT the "fix-all" power it can often be portrayed as. Plus the art is fabulous. This book rules.

Bendis' Iron Man has been really fun too, and I'm sticking with Miles Morales as well. I don't always love BMB, but Bendis with Marquez & Pichelli= fun books, as they were in the Ultimate U.

Thor isn't All-New or All-Different, but that's fine- I am glad to stick with it under Aaron & Dauterman.

I'm reading 3 Charles Soule books.. I prefer the Uncanny Inhumans book to All-New (which is probably headed for the drop after the rest of my preordered books ship). The first Uncanny Inhumans arc was cool- time travelin' with Kang. I'm new to the characters but enjoy them and there's some interesting conflict set up in Uncanny Inhumans.

Which brings me to my personal flagship title, Daredevil. Alas, I'm pretty bored with the story and art, which to me reads like a low-end Chichester tale from the '90s. I think the sidekick could be interesting but there's little in the first three issues to make me care one way or the other.. and also, three issues in I think it's time for a few answers to be delivered- where's Kirsten, why are we back in NY, how's the identity back in the bag (it seems Secret Wars didn't put it there..). Soule has done work I've liked, so I'm hoping this improves.

Hawkeye is still fun under Jeff Lemire, who's work I've always enjoyed. It's not quite Fraction-Aja, but seriously, what is? I'm on board for now.

I'm planning on dropping Ant-Man after my ordered issues come in, and I think I'll at least know why he's in jail by then. It's not bad.. just OK and the novelty has worn off for me (I did read the previous Nick Spencer 5-ish series).

I'll be checking out a few more in the next few months- Black Widow with Waid/Samnee, Black Panther, Power Man & Iron Fist, Moon Knight under Lemire, and Bendis' 2nd Iron Man book. And they've probably sucked me in for the Civil War II event.

It's been fun trying all of these, we'll see which ones ultimately stick. I probably won't keep them all long-term. The clear "can't cut" books are Strange and Thor right now for me, followed by Iron Man and the Miles book.. and I'd be hard-pressed to cut Daredevil, but that's just because of my affinity for the character.

"Low-end Chichester" is my new favorite fighting-words-in-the-bar insult.
  • Options
    David_D said:

LOL. I didn't like much of his run, but I should be fair and point out that he did have some fine moments early on, including issue #304 which was a great done in one story, worth anyone's time that has any interest in Daredevil. Easy to find.

But yeah, most of it doesn't hold up too well IMO.
  • Options
    hornhead said:

David_D said:

LOL. I didn't like much of his run, but I should be fair and point out that he did have some fine moments early on, including issue #304 which was a great done in one story, worth anyone's time that has any interest in Daredevil. Easy to find.

But yeah, most of it doesn't hold up too well IMO.
    Oh, I know. And I agree. I just like the way "Low-end Chichester" sounds. It is an insult that requires a really deep pull.
  • Options
    @hornhead I'm with you on a lot of your reviews--

Dr. Strange - Loving it. Loving the energy and freshness of it. I had no idea what to expect of a Jason Aaron Dr. Strange book, as magic felt so far out of what I am used to from him (and, sure, Thor, but I have found his Thor to be more warrior than wizard), and I really enjoy what he is doing so far. There is an urgency and front-footedness to Strange that is different than how he is often done. And I've always loved Bachalo, and this book feels like it goes right to all his strengths. It is an even more natural fit than Uncanny X-Men was (though I loved him on that, too.)

• Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    edited March 2016
    David_D said:

Dr. Strange - Loving it. Loving the energy and freshness of it. I had no idea what to expect of a Jason Aaron Dr. Strange book, as magic felt so far out of what I am used to from him (and, sure, Thor, but I have found his Thor to be more warrior than wizard), and I really enjoy what he is doing so far. There is an urgency and front-footedness to Strange that is different than how he is often done. And I've always loved Bachalo, and this book feels like it goes right to all his strengths. It is an even more natural fit than Uncanny X-Men was (though I loved him on that, too.)

Strange has always been one of my favourite Marvel characters. I enjoy Bachalo's artwork, but sometimes it is just "too much" for me... way too chaotic, and I find it difficult to follow from a storytelling perspective. However, Bachalo's style really, really works well for Dr. Strange. The chaos lends itself to the tone of the book. This new, long overdue title for the good doctor is top of the reading pile for me every week it comes out. I hope Aaron and Bachalo have a nice, long run. Stephen deserves it, after being kept on the sidelines for so long.
  • Options
    Hex said:

David_D said:

Strange has always been one of my favourite Marvel characters. I enjoy Bachalo's artwork, but sometimes it is just "too much" for me... way too chaotic, and I find it difficult to follow from a storytelling perspective. However, Bachalo's style really, really works well for Dr. Strange. The chaos lends itself to the tone of the book. This new, long overdue title for the good doctor is top of the reading pile for me every week it comes out. I hope Aaron and Bachalo have a nice, long run. Stephen deserves it, after being kept on the sidelines for so long.
    I'll add that I hadn't ever been very interested in Bachalo's artwork before, but knowing Aaron was on the book got me interested in jumping onboard with Strange. Seeing the preview art pretty much sealed the deal.

I had seen Bachalo's work here and there on a few ASM issues and he did some of an anniversary DD issue, but nothing really screamed at me from those small initial impressions (never have been much of an X-Men reader). But his work on this Strange book is top notch- it's really magnificent. I'm with both of you- I hope this book gets to run for a while. Not sure how it's doing from a sales perspective, but it seems to be pretty universally acclaimed and with a movie coming, maybe it gets some more attention and commitment.
  • Options
    BrackBrack Posts: 868
    As I see it, the problem with All-New Inhumans is Caselli's art. It doesn't sell the big ideas well enough. For example Hub The Living Engine is a great Kirby-esque idea fitting of The Inhumans but it doesn't explode off the page the way it should.

Also: too many characters with tails.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Black Widow #1—best chase scene in a comic book ever? I'd be hard pressed to come up with one better. Waid and Samnee do it again.