Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

All-New, All-Different Marvel Universe/ Marvel NOW 2.0 (Might contain some spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    HexHex Posts: 944

Black Widow #1—best chase scene in a comic book ever? I'd be hard pressed to come up with one better. Waid and Samnee do it again.

Damn it!
    I was going to pass on this one... but I LOVE Samnee's artwork, and with that endorsement, I'm going to have to grab at least the first couple of issues. Hope they still have #1 on the rack while I'm at the LCS this afternoon.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Hex said:

Black Widow #1—best chase scene in a comic book ever? I'd be hard pressed to come up with one better. Waid and Samnee do it again.

Damn it!
    I was going to pass on this one... but I LOVE Samnee's artwork, and with that endorsement, I'm going to have to grab at least the first couple of issues. Hope they still have #1 on the rack while I'm at the LCS this afternoon.
    I don't want to give too much away, but Widow has only one line of dialogue in the story. And though the issue is light on text, Chris’ pacing and storytelling really makes it feel like one of the long intense intros to a James Bond film where you go several minutes before getting to the opening credits. It's a fairly quick read that doesn't really feel like a quick read, though other readers’ mileage may vary on that. I might have slowed down more than others just to admire the artwork.

Just like the opening wedding scene of Daredevil #1 by Waid and Paolo Rivera, this first issue solidly establishes the tone for the series. It tells you everything you need to know without giving anything away as to what’s to come.
  • Options

Than even Hawkeye #3?!?
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200

Than even Hawkeye #3?!?
    I thought about that too but I couldn't remember which issue number it was.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Very different vibes. Hawkeye #3 is great because of the dialogue and character interaction more than because of the actual chase. Black Widow #1 is all about the chase. Hawkeye relies heavily on flashback sequences to control the pace of the story, whereas Black Widow relies almost entirely on the layouts to do that. It's like comparing a buddy cop movie chase scene to a mostly silent James Bond intro.

I just went back and reread Hawkeye #3, and I think I'll still give Black Widow the win, if for no other reason than what I liked most about the Hawkeye chase had nothing to do with the chase per se.
  • Options
    edited March 2016

Very different vibes. Hawkeye #3 is great because of the dialogue and character interaction more than because of the actual chase. Black Widow #1 is all about the chase. Hawkeye relies heavily on flashback sequences to control the pace of the story, whereas Black Widow relies almost entirely on the layouts to do that. It's like comparing a buddy cop movie chase scene to a mostly silent James Bond intro.

I just went back and reread Hawkeye #3, and I think I'll still give Black Widow the win, if for no reason than what I liked most about the Hawkeye chase had nothing to do with the chase per se.

To be honest I couldn't remember Hawkeye #3 well enough to know what it was that made me like the issue so much. I just know that as soon as I read "chase scene in a comic" it immediately popped into my head.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Mr_Cosmic said:

To be honest I couldn't remember Hawkeye #3 well enough to know what it was that made me like the issue so much. I just know that as soon as I read "chase scene in a comic" it immediately popped into my head.

Me too, which is why I went back and read it again, just to be sure I was remembering things correctly. I could say more on the differences between the two, but it might spoil too much, so I'll wait until the Picks of the Month episode discussion.
  • Options
    Well, I'm sold regardless. They made me care about Daredevil for the only time ever, I'm sure they can do the same for Black Widow.
  • Options
    Lovin' Dr. Strange as well. I'm usually a fan of Bachelor's work but I'm having a hard time following it on this book. It may be that there seem to be 4 inkers working on off his pencils?
  • Options
    BrackBrack Posts: 868
    edited March 2016

Lovin' Dr. Strange as well. I'm usually a fan of Bachelor's work but I'm having a hard time following it on this book. It may be that there seem to be 4 inkers working on off his pencils?

In issue 5, SIX inkers!

Edit: Wait, in issue 4, SEVEN inkers! So six was an improvement.

Looking at Bachalo's credits he's been using a mix of multi-man inker teams since at least 2008. Mainly Tim Townsend, plus the various people listed in issue 4.

• Options
    edited March 2016

The inkers are being pretty consistent with how they work from Bachalo’s pencils, and I think Bachalo goes over every thing before he colors the pages, so I don't think your difficulties have anything to do with that. And I don't think it's the coloring either. Bachalo’s palette runs fairly dark, but I think he's done an excellent job in this series of using color to separate the main figures and main action from all the craziness going on around them. Like when he colored the astral plane while leaving the physical world in black-&-white.

If there has ever been a knock on Bachalo’s artwork, it’s that sometimes his storytelling isn't as clear as it might be. And I have come across a handful of panels in Doctor Strange where it took a second or three to figure out what was going on. Like when Strange was sticking his arm down his throat to pull out his reserve of magic—the angle of the shot made it unclear what he was doing until you read the next panel. But overall I think the storytelling has been pretty clear, especially considering how differently the series has been approaching the character and his world from past series.
  • Options
    Bachalo's art has come a long way to my eyes. I remember stories where a character's head would easily be able to fit into the palm of their hand. Now he seems to have that sort of thing under control..I've really been digging his art since Uncanny X-Men.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    The Atlantic has a big feature (including design and preview art) of Stelfreeze and Coates' Black Panther.

I've got this on pre-order. Looking forward to it.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    It seems interesting..
  • Options
    All right..now we are talking! Something new..like death in the X-Men books!
  • Options
    It's becoming the Uncanny WMen. Cable will get Cable Force, and Deadpool will get the school (like Magneto in the 80s).
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

It's becoming the Uncanny WMen. Cable will get Cable Force, and Deadpool will get the school (like Magneto in the 80s).

Given what's happening in the Uncanny Avengers, which I presume will lead into this, I can totally see Deadpool ending up looking after the school (if we hadn't had "Wolverine looks after the school" a few years back).
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    I'm only reading 3 current Marvel books. Powerman & iron fist, Hulk, and Daredevil.

So I don't have a clue as to what's up elsewhere (other than Marvel trying to kill off all the Fox properties)
  • Options
    Black Panther is off to a great start. There are no wow! moments, but the first issue was good, solid storytelling and smoothly laid the foundation for the series to build on. Despite the number of plot elements and new characters being introduced, it didn’t feel choppy or rushed. This looks to be a very interesting series.
  • Options
    Cool. Looking forward to getting it in my next shipment.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    edited April 2016
    They recently trademarked Giant Man and Death's Head, so here's hoping for that FPA mini...
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794

"A-GAIN?!?" <- said in Rocky the Flying Squirrel's voice.
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

"A-GAIN?!?" <- said in Rocky the Flying Squirrel's voice. </p>
    It's what they are good at.
  • Options
    It just means that they'll be publishing "Uncanny Men", "All New Men" and "Extraordinary Men" in the Autumn.
  • Options
    Just finished Moon Knight #1, and I like where it's going. It's got that classic “is he crazy or isn’t he?” at the core of the story. And Greg Smallwood’s artwork is top-notch. He goes between a mainstream style reminiscent of Steve Dillon for the main story, and a more Sienkiewicz-esque expressionist style for the dream/flashback sequences. He employs some interesting layouts for dramatic effect, and all together it really works for me. I'm feeling good about this one.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    hornhead said:

Which brings me to my personal flagship title, Daredevil. Alas, I'm pretty bored with the story and art, which to me reads like a low-end Chichester tale from the '90s. I think the sidekick could be interesting but there's little in the first three issues to make me care one way or the other.. and also, three issues in I think it's time for a few answers to be delivered- where's Kirsten, why are we back in NY, how's the identity back in the bag (it seems Secret Wars didn't put it there..). Soule has done work I've liked, so I'm hoping this improves.

Still reading Soule's Daredevil? I'm beginning to think Soule has demoted Daredevil back to D-list character with this first Tenfinger arc. What a laughable villain. Are they not going to explain how everyone forgot Daredevil's identity? Are we going to actually see Murdock performing DA prosecutor duties? Where is Foggy? Where is Matt's personal life? His social circle?

And does Ron Garney not know how guns work? Why would a six-shooter (revolver) need ten triggers?

The editor and Soule seem to be phoning this in. Waid and Samnee are sorely missed.

• Options

And does Ron Garney not know how guns work? Why would a six-shooter (revolver) need ten triggers?

While I completely agree with your problems with the story so far, as to this particular item, I'll just quote Archie Goodwin: “Shit, man, it's only comics.” In other words, why not? It's a fun visual, even if it makes no practical sense. But then, I've never liked too much of the real world in my superhero comics.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967

While I completely agree with your problems with the story so far, as to this particular item, I'll just quote Archie Goodwin: “Shit, man, it's only comics.” In other words, why not? It's a fun visual, even if it makes no practical sense. But then, I've never liked too much of the real world in my superhero comics.
    6 striggers would be comic-booky enough. Anything more than that on a 6-shooter is absurd. I don't care what Archie Goodwin might say about it, this isn't a Bugs Bunny comic.

• Options

6 striggers would be comic-booky enough. Anything more than that on a 6-shooter is absurd. I don't care what Archie Goodwin might say about it, this isn't a Bugs Bunny comic.

Party pooper.