Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Movie News: Captain America: Civil War-- NON-SPOILER THREAD

Comments

• Options
    Eh, I don't know. The Scarlet Witch could be the great equalizer with her hex powers. Well, at least the comic book version. Not too sure what the hell the MCU one is all about yet, to be honest.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200

Well, at least the comic book version. Not too sure what the hell the MCU one is all about yet, to be honest.

That's something I hope Civil War is able to flesh out a little better...although with such a large cast I wonder how much time will actually be devoted to people other than Tony, Steve, and Bucky.

• Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526

Eh, I don't know. The Scarlet Witch could be the great equalizer with her hex powers. Well, at least the comic book version. Not too sure what the hell the MCU one is all about yet, to be honest.

Agreed. I think she could take out a bunch of Tony's team.
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKrVegVI0Us

So much goodness. And Spidey's eye move!!! 2 seconds on screen time, I'm already convinced that Spider-man is finally home.
  • Options
    aquatroyaquatroy Posts: 552

So much goodness. And Spidey's eye move!!! 2 seconds on screen time, I'm already convinced that Spider-man is finally home.

Now, if the FF came home the universe would be right again.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    (I had my fingers crossed for Doctor Druid.)
  • Options
    i_am_scifii_am_scifi Posts: 784
    Batman? Is it Batman?
  • Options
    i_am_scifii_am_scifi Posts: 784
    aquatroy said:

Now, if the FF came home the universe would be right again.
    Seriously. We need ALL the Science Bros together again. And imagine what The Illuminati would look like in movie form...
  • Options
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    "Underoos!" Not quiet the rallying cry of "rrRRRRHINO!" but pretty damn close.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I'm probably in the minority but I thought the Spider-Man reveal in the trailer was silly. It didn't fit the tone of the rest of it..and the voice sounding like it came from a 3rd grader doesn't help.
  • Options
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Mr_Cosmic said:

I'm probably in the minority but I thought the Spider-Man reveal in the trailer was silly. It didn't fit the tone of the rest of it..and the voice sounding like it came from a 3rd grader doesn't help.

I would submit that it definitely needs context, but I like that it was at the end. And I also liked the young voice.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Well, I must be in an even smaller minority. The trailer did nothing to get me excited about the movie. I'll end up seeing it if my kids really want to go, but I think I’ve already hit my superhero movie ennui.

Individually, I thought Spidey looked good and sounded good, but I'm not sure the voice matched up with the look. The voice sounded “teenager” but the body looked “adult.” But it was a very short clip, and it may work much better for me in a longer scene and seeing Spidey standing next to others.

I think my biggest problem is that the trailer was filled with comic book tropes I find boring to the point of being annoying. In other words, “It’s not you, Marvel movies, it’s me.”
  • Options
    Usually, any story that’s being played out within the pages of a comic are all just set up for people to have a big fight at the end. Other than secret identities, damsels in distress, or "it was just a robot," the most common comic book trope of all is the Big Fight which is certainly on display here, and I'm delighted to see it fully realized on the silver screen for me. Along with scenes familiar to anyone who's a fan of Bronze age Marvel covers. I believe that if you enjoyed Winter Soldier, then Civil War will entertain you. If you were not a fan, well, hopefully the kids won't drag you to the theater against your will. Any tedium that had set in for me was thankfully mitigated by Deadpool, so my palette is cleansed. I'm looking forward to this one.
  • Options

Usually, any story that’s being played out within the pages of a comic are all just set up for people to have a big fight at the end. Other than secret identities, damsels in distress, or "it was just a robot," the most common comic book trope of all is the Big Fight which is certainly on display here, and I'm delighted to see it fully realized on the silver screen for me. Along with scenes familiar to anyone who's a fan of Bronze age Marvel covers. I believe that if you enjoyed Winter Soldier, then Civil War will entertain you. If you were not a fan, well, hopefully the kids won't drag you to the theater against your will. Any tedium that had set in for me was thankfully mitigated by Deadpool, so my palette is cleansed. I'm looking forward to this one.

Well, I certainly realize the repetitious nature of superhero comics. Which is why I don't read very many of them. The ones I do read are either atypical of the genre (Silver Surfer, Squirrel Girl, The Vision) or are done in such a way as to make the ideas seem fresh (Power Man & Iron Fist). I didn't get that feeling with the trailer.

I'm glad you and so many others enjoyed Deadpool, but it's not really my thing. And it's not that I'm opposed to seeing Civil War, I'm just not excited about it.

Carry on with the enthusiasm.
  • Options

Well, I certainly realize the repetitious nature of superhero comics. Which is why I don't read very many of them. The ones I do read are either atypical of the genre (Silver Surfer, Squirrel Girl, The Vision) or are done in such a way as to make the ideas seem fresh (Power Man & Iron Fist). I didn't get that feeling with the trailer.

I'm glad you and so many others enjoyed Deadpool, but it's not really my thing. And it's not that I'm opposed to seeing Civil War, I'm just not excited about it.

Carry on with the enthusiasm.
    I totally get where you're coming from. Truth is that this is probably the last comic book superhero movie I'll see in the theaters for a long time. I've already skipped a bunch. But I love Cap and I love Spidey. Seeing them together pretty much checks the last of my childhood wish list (I've excepted that a good FF movie will never happen). I wouldn't be opposed to seeing the MCU Spider-Man if he's cool in CW. But I've experienced all the beats before, and the genre has settled into a formula that works most of the time, but offers no surprises at this point.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    I agree spidey kindve stuck out in the trailer and seemed off. But I think he looks great and I'm confident he'll work out in the movie and won't seem out of place. Personally I think it was a mistake revealing him and including him in the trailer. Should've only been hinted at and Wouldve been best saved for the film imo. Can't wait for this
  • Options
    batlaw said:

I agree spidey kindve stuck out in the trailer and seemed off. But I think he looks great and I'm confident he'll work out in the movie and won't seem out of place. Personally I think it was a mistake revealing him and including him in the trailer. Should've only been hinted at and Wouldve been best saved for the film imo. Can't wait for this

Agreed. It is basically another Avengers movie. Did they really worry people wouldn't show up to watch Iron Man fight Cap?
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    I thought the reveal was kind of awesome and it even had a bit of meta to it as Tony says something like "Alright, I run out of patience." People have been dying to see what Spidey looks like in the Marvel cinematic Universe so I thought it was a great reveal. I love the eyes. There is so much about this movie that has me excited. I can't wait to see it.
  • Options
    GotG director James Gunn has seen the film and proclaims that "Tom Holland is the best Spidey/Peter Parker ever by a country mile... It’s his own thing. He is to Spidey as Downey is to Iron Man, Ledger was to the Joker, Pratt is to Star-Lord."

A pretty strong endorsement.

Read the full article here

• Options

Joe Russo, one of the pair of brothers directing this film recently said in Forbes:
    "We like making strong choices with characters so while this might be a slightly more traditional, Steve Ditko influenced suit, it is certainly in our vocabulary to develop it into something more extreme as the storytelling requires. I think there are things that people will discover when they see the film about why the suit operate the way it does, why the eyes move, all that stuff is substantiated. Everybody wants the answers yesterday but then what would be the point of seeing the movie?"
    More here.
  • Options

"We like making strong choices with characters so while this might be a slightly more traditional, Steve Ditko influenced suit, it is certainly in our vocabulary to develop it into something more extreme as the storytelling requires.”

Awesome. That’s as it should be—the superhero genre is fantasy, not reality. Take advantage of that to help communicate the story.

“I think there are things that people will discover when they see the film about why the suit operate the way it does, why the eyes move, all that stuff is substantiated."

Nnoooooooooo! Don’t explain it. Don’t draw attention to it. If it’s done well, the audience will go with it and you can use it as it’s meant to be used. If you try to rationalize it, the audience will focus on it, and it will lose much of its storytelling punch. This stuff drives me nuts.
  • Options

Nnoooooooooo! Don’t explain it. Don’t draw attention to it. If it’s done well, the audience will go with it and you can use it as it’s meant to be used. If you try to rationalize it, the audience will focus on it, and it will lose much of its storytelling punch. This stuff drives me nuts.

Hmm. Perhaps, if the audience discovers it and can reach a conclusion by way of the storytelling beats, without it being technically explained, it could work.

• Options

Hmm. Perhaps, if the audience discovers it and can reach a conclusion by way of the storytelling beats, without it being technically explained, it could work.

The first time you read a Spider-Man comic and his eyes changed size to show his expression, did you ask yourself how the suit was able to move? I know I didn’t. Yeah, it occurred to me later, but I never bothered me that they never explained it.

I haven't seen Deadpool, but I understand they did similar things with his eyes. Did they give an explanation as to why?
  • Options
    When I jumped into comics, I didn't even need an origin story, but I think today's audiences are a bit more discerning than I was when I jumped in head first. Heck, I didn't even look at what issue number it was! LOL
  • Options

When I jumped into comics, I didn't even need an origin story, but I think today's audiences are a bit more discerning than I was when I jumped in head first. Heck, I didn't even look at what issue number it was! LOL

While I do think today’s audiences have more of a “start at the beginning” mentality, I don't think they necessarily need have every single detail explained.

But I am still interested in knowing how they handled it in Deadpool, because I haven't heard anyone say anything about it one way or the other.
  • Options
    No explanation was given for Deadpool's expressive eyes, but that was a comedy more than an action film. Again, I trust the Russo brothers to be able to deliver it without beating a dead horse or boring people with details. I don't remember a lot of discussion about Winter Soldier's arm or abilities, but the audience was able to discern that it appeared to be possible. I guess we'll see.