Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Movie News: Captain America: Civil War-- NON-SPOILER THREAD

Comments

• Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    David_D said:

chrisw said:

Rudd would be a good option - he's always been likable, and it was nice to see him finally land a successful franchise that takes advantage of that. I'm just not sure Ant-Man is a big enough character to fully fill those shoes.

I find it interesting that in RDJ, Marvel got an actor on an upswing, who'd fought his personal demons and won, settled down, raised a family - pretty much an overall great package if you want someone to anchor and promote your films.

DC ended up with Affleck, who then proceeded to go through a divorce and, if rumors are to be believed, is falling into messy behavior similar to what gave RDJ a bad name years ago (though admittedly not at as severe a level). I think Affleck's done plenty of good work, but the likability factor is wobbly with him. I think most people find RDJ charming, but people seem to either love or loathe Affleck.

I think you are right about that (EDIT- What follows was not about you, as I know you are just making the cultural observation, rather than joining it)--
    No offense taken. And you're right, I couldn't care less about a celebrity's personal life. I think this Twitter culture where we're inundated with every thought that pops into a celebrity's head is one of the most annoying recent developments in our society. I wish the news media would dismiss it as the fluff and noise that it is, and focus on things that matter. But that's another topic...

I was just acknowledging that for a substantial amount of people. RDJ's fall and rise are integral to why he's so beloved as Iron Man. Conversely, there are plenty of people watching what Ben Affleck's going through and thinking "I knew it... he always seemed like a sleaze to me..." Affleck's simply never going to be as beloved, and when you're dealing with a multi-million dollar franchise, that's something to take into account.
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980

I doubt that RDJ would be recast for Avengers Infinity War. Disney/Marvel will pay him to close out the phase and if not, it would be easier just to write out Iron Man from those movies*. So if Marvel sticks to schedule, the earliest we would possibly need a recast Iron Man is for a film to be released in 2020. Probably even later if they decide to do additonal sequals of other characters or new movies of different characters.

So at this point. It really does not matter who the next Iron Man will be or who will be the new face of the MCU and how their personal problems will effect fan perception. We have years to go with the current MCU. Let's just enjoy the moment.

*disclaimer: I could be completely wrong. Movie studios sometimes do dumb things and they could recast Iron Man for Avengers Infinity War.

I agree. IM won't be recast for several years.
  • Options
    Matt said:

David_D said:

Matt said:

So...I really think Civil War is going to kick ass & be better then Avengers.

M.

I am hoping it is better than Avengers: AofU
    That's a tall order.

M
    Not in my book. AoU was good. But I enjoyed Cap 2 more. There was something missing from AoU for me. I think I wanted Ultron to be scarier.
  • Options
    Matt said:

Planeis said:

Matt said:

David_D said:

Matt said:

M.

That's a tall order.

M
    Not in my book. AoU was good. But I enjoyed Cap 2 more. There was something missing from AoU for me. I think I wanted Ultron to be scarier.
    Winter Soldier, for me, tops the MCU.

M
    I clicked "agree" but really I don't know. There are things I love about Cap 2, but same with Avengers and Iron Man 1. It's really hard to split hairs. To me those three are on the same level, AoU, Cap 1, IM2, IM3, Thor are on the second level. Thor 2, Ant Man are on the third and GoTG and Incredible Hulk are on the bottom.

With bigger lists that's how I tend to rate things, tiers.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Planeis said:

Matt said:

Planeis said:

Matt said:

David_D said:

Matt said:

M.

That's a tall order.

M
    Winter Soldier, for me, tops the MCU.

M
    I clicked "agree" but really I don't know. There are things I love about Cap 2, but same with Avengers and Iron Man 1. It's really hard to split hairs. To me those three are on the same level, AoU, Cap 1, IM2, IM3, Thor are on the second level. Thor 2, Ant Man are on the third and GoTG and Incredible Hulk are on the bottom.

With bigger lists that's how I tend to rate things, tiers.
    Same here. Eventually it's just blocks of good, bad or great. Then when you add in the various different flavors and personal preferences etc it gets even muddier.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    What surprises me the most is the team Widow joins. It's not who I initially thought...unless she's a double agent.

I did hear there's a scene in the teaser with Barton where she asks "are we still friends?" & Barton replies "depends on how hard you hit."

I'm actually looking forward to this more then BvS AND Avengers: Infinity War.

M
  • Options
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/marvels-civil-war-why-kevin-820147

Marvel's Civil War: Why Kevin Feige Demanded Emancipation from CEO Ike Perlmutter
  • Options
    MihawkMihawk Posts: 433
    Chris Evans - “Listen, if Marvel wants me they got me. I’ve never had such a relationship where you have such—I mean look at my resume, I’m used to being on set being like, ‘Ah is this movie gonna be terrible?’ Marvel just can’t stop making great movies, they do it in their sleep. It’s wonderful directors and producers and actors and scripts, and it’s like a playground as an actor.”

The question was about his future with Marvel beyond Avengers Infinity War 1 & 2?

So maybe hopefully he will resign with Marvel.
  • Options
    Mihawk said:

Chris Evans - “Listen, if Marvel wants me they got me. I’ve never had such a relationship where you have such—I mean look at my resume, I’m used to being on set being like, ‘Ah is this movie gonna be terrible?’ Marvel just can’t stop making great movies, they do it in their sleep. It’s wonderful directors and producers and actors and scripts, and it’s like a playground as an actor.”

The question was about his future with Marvel beyond Avengers Infinity War 1 & 2?

So maybe hopefully he will re-sign with Marvel.

Sorry, just needed to add a hyphen there.

M

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Hah! Thanks @Matt - when I first read that, I took it to mean he would retire working for Marvel :)
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Matt said:

So maybe hopefully he will re-sign with Marvel.

Sorry, just needed to add a hyphen there.

M

<3
  • Options
    i only read the headline... coz im avoiding spoilers

‘Captain America: Civil War’ Is Not About Superhero Registration

http://www.slashfilm.com/civil-war-superhero-registration/
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I didn't click the link(too much work and I'm lazy) but this must be a confirmation because I was already aware that Zemo was the villain.
  • Options
    mphilmphil Posts: 448
    I haven't read Civil War in forever, was there a villain in it?
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    edited September 2015
    I love this so much, I'm gonna paste the entire Newsarama article.
    Not long ago, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice director Zack Snyder took aim at Marvel Studios films, saying Ant-Man was a "flavor of the week," and praising characters like Batman and Superman for "transcending" superhero tropes.

Now, Captain America: Civil War actor Sebastian Stan has fired back at Snyder's comments, saying Marvel Studios does something "original."

“Yeah, I’m sitting here and I’m listening to you and I’m thinking, ‘Do I want to fire some shots at DC right now, at Zack Snyder?'” Stan said in an interview with Collider.

“Something about, ‘It’s not going to be your flavor-of-the-week Ant-Man.’ And I was like, ‘Oh thanks, Zack. That’s great. Way to do something original,'” Stan continued. “But I would say we’re still making something very original in our own way. I mean, the Russos' are coming in and taking something people are used to and they’re shaping it up and changing it in a very different way. They’re not trying to mimic a better Christopher Nolan movie or something like that.”

Stan also spoke about his role as Winter Soldier in the upcoming Captain America: Civil War.

“[The] character had, in my opinion, an introduction in Captain America: The Winter Soldier,” said Stan. “I mean, it was just sort of like a preview of the guy, which we get so much more of in Civil War. And I’m grateful for that. But to see that response to that was awesome because it just made me think, “Wow, people really got behind the character,” and that’s what you’re hoping for, especially [laughs] given that I didn’t really have any lines to say or anything. Which probably made it for the better to be honest.”

Finally, Stan also addressed the notion that Captain America: Civil War would be more focused on the Avengers than its titular star.

“I mean, I know everybody’s treating it like there are all these Avengers in it, like it’s Avengers 2.5 or something, and there’s an element of that, but it’s still at the end of the day very much a Captain America film. It’s different from The Avengers, it’s definitely its own entity, totally connects to the last Winter Soldier film, and the Russos’ stamp is all over it.”
  • Options
    kiwijasekiwijase Posts: 451
    Okey. It's official. I am in love with Marvel Studios.

• Options
    I wonder if they contact Scott Lang its to gain access to their equipment that was confiscated. Makes sense "break into a place & steal some shit."

M
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    Um. Wow. This movie cannot come fast enough for me.
  • Options
    Holy Hell. That looks SO MUCH better than the premise from the Civil War comics. I am sold.
  • Options
    Does Rhodey get "Black Goliathed"?
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Oh man I both want to watch that trailer and not want to watch it.

Is it supposed to play in front of Star Wars?
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Aaaaaand it no longer matters. I broke down and watched it. That looks awesome.

And that last scene..... Hoo boy.
  • Options
    bamfbamfbamfbamf Posts: 718
    IN THE RUSSO BROTHERS WE TRUST!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    bamfbamfbamfbamf Posts: 718
    Chris Evans and Robert Downey Jr. Filmed in Hotlanta
    https://youtu.be/1Q9uPyuxOhI

Robert Downey Jr. Was Inducted into the California Hall of Fame
    https://youtu.be/94q6_3vzblw

Chris Evans and Robert Downey Jr. Are Friends in Real Life
    https://youtu.be/1nRzNnV__yM

Chris Evans & Robert Downey Jr. Reveal the Poster & Trailer for Captain America: Civil War
    https://youtu.be/2qtmEicFfAw