Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Suicide Squad - The Movie *Now with spoilers*

Comments

• Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    Has "let's go save the world" become Smith's movie catchphrase? It seems like he says it in every movie. Plus, I guess we won't be seeing the mask too much.

I've definitely watched this movie significantly more then I have BvS:DoJ. I'm not sold on the movie, but I like how they mixed the music & scenes.

Joker is probably the character the most off putting to me. His face looks less pale & more like a glazed crispy cream donut. Plus, the tattoos are take me out of the character; granted, you don't see them in the trailer, so maybe it was just for promos, they were fake, or something he adopts at the end.

M
  • Options
    mphilmphil Posts: 448
    Wow, what a trailer! Can WB maybe share notes within their own company? Unlike BvS this trailer doesn't give away the entire plot, makes you feel like it's going to be a fun movie (whether it will or not I don't know) and doesn't take itself too seriously. All things I was worried about with Suicide Squad. Now instead of thinking it might be a FF level trainwreck, I really want to go to the theater and see this!
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    This looks interesting. I will say that whoever made the trailer did a fantastic job with it. Good use of song. Yes @Matt "Let's go save the world", has become Will Smith's catchphrase. I think it's in his contract that he has to say it at least once. Even if the world doesn't need saving. I wouldn't be surprised if his character says it in the movie "Concussion". I will say that this movie looks really entertaining and while I still have really big issues with the Joker. He looks like a pimpish mime. If you took away the gold teeth and the tattoos, he would look much more like the Joker I would have wanted to see on the big screen. Beyond that, this looks promising.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    I predict Harley is going to be a surprise hit with everyone. Deadshot will be received with an overal "meh" by everyone (possibly big Willie fans may dig it?), joker will run 50/50 with fans and general public (probably more liked by comic fans than gen pub?). All other characters other than possibly boomer will be disposable / forgettable. everything else as a whole will register pretty well / on the higher end of the scale. At least for the general public imo.
  • Options
    batlaw said:

I predict Harley is going to be a surprise hit with everyone. Deadshot will be received with an overal "meh" by everyone (possibly big Willie fans may dig it?), joker will run 50/50 with fans and general public (probably more liked by comic fans than gen pub?). All other characters other than possibly boomer will be disposable / forgettable. everything else as a whole will register pretty well / on the higher end of the scale. At least for the general public imo.

Why do you think comic book fans would like this Joker more then the general audience?

M
  • Options
    BrackBrack Posts: 868
    Matt said:

I see your point @Matt but even a wise-cracking racoon like Rocket has a bit of family movie vibe appeal, even if he is shooting a deadly assault weapon... :)

Of course, Will Smith may be all the wise-cracking, comedy relief that SS needs.

I actually thought Harley would be the raccoon of this movie.

M
    Captain Boomerang is the comic relief of Suicide Squad, and I don't expect it to change here. The way he's portrayed in the trailer is the number one thing turning me around on this (number two being Viola Davis as The Wall).
  • Options
    Matt said:

batlaw said:

Why do you think comic book fans would like this Joker more then the general audience?

M
    I'm just guessing this interpretation will be more "extreme" (Intense, manic, Violent, scary etc). And I think traditional comic / joker fans will be more inclined to embrace that. I think casual audiences may be turned off by it. Perhaps expecting or wanting a "funner" joker.
    Just my wild, random, unsolicited and uneducated guesses out of boredom.
  • Options
    batlaw said:

Matt said:

batlaw said:

M
    I'm just guessing this interpretation will be more "extreme" (Intense, manic, Violent, scary etc). And I think traditional comic / joker fans will be more inclined to embrace that. I think casual audiences may be turned off by it. Perhaps expecting or wanting a "funner" joker.
    Just my wild, random, unsolicited and uneducated guesses out of boredom.
    Granted, it's a small sample size (and includes me) of comic book readers who don't care for this interpretation of the Joker (based on what's been seen). I believe if I add responses from this forum to the initial promos of Leto's Joker, the sample size increases, but same results.

M
  • Options
    I think this joker will be fine. There's always the possibility he'll be awful or incredible. But I think he'll be just fine. My problem with him so far, or what little we can judge, are the teeth and tats.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Still looks "grim" and "edgy" and "dark" and "bleak" but this trailer has forced me to recalibrate my expectations. Admittedly, I don't have much history with any of these characters, so early on I wrote this movie off as a property I don't intend to expend any energy on.

While I think the booty shot of Harley is gratuitous and basically forces us to ogle her while she's being funny, and I am still put off by this silver-grilled, tattooed Joker, I have to admit that this trailer is a fine example of a near perfect comic book movie trailer editing, along the lines of the first Guardians of the Galaxy trailer. May even be the same editor.

Very nice use of music too.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511

Still looks "grim" and "edgy" and "dark" and "bleak" but this trailer has forced me to recalibrate my expectations. Admittedly, I don't have much history with any of these characters, so early on I wrote this movie off as a property I don't intend to expend any energy on.

While I think the booty shot of Harley is gratuitous and basically forces us to ogle her while she's being funny, and I am still put off by this silver-grilled, tattooed Joker, I have to admit that this trailer is a fine example of a near perfect comic book movie trailer editing, along the lines of the first Guardians of the Galaxy trailer. May even be the same editor.

Very nice use of music too.

The title has suicide right there in it. It's about villains being used as expendable cannon fodder all Dirty Dozen style. Grim, edgy, dark and bleak all seem to be appropriate descriptions for the subject matter.

I really don't get the (and I'm not saying that this is you) complaints about Suicide Squad being too dark, too violent, too.... They're hardened criminals being given the opportunity to work off some of their sentence by taking on seemingly impossible missions (with explosive charges implanted in their bodies).
  • Options
    hauberk said:

I really don't get the (and I'm not saying that this is you) complaints about Suicide Squad being too dark, too violent, too.... They're hardened criminals being given the opportunity to work off some of their sentence by taking on seemingly impossible missions (with explosive charges implanted in their bodies).

And now, BvS gets abysmal reviews for being dark and serious, so suddenly DC is coughing up a few million bucks to reshoot parts of the movie in a funnier and lighter tone.

This is why DC fans can't have nice things. The folks in charge are tone deaf. Don't two-thirds of the actors in that shot above make it look like it's going to be a funny movie? Of course. But insiders say every joke was in that trailer.
  • Options
    And I still believe "funny" was actually the point, or at least it is now. I've read several comic blogs saying this movie was supposed to be DC's response to Marvel's Ant-Man and Guardians of the Galaxy. Even though Zack Snyder was calling Ant-Man the "flavor of the week."
  • Options
    New trailer dropped. Now with more Batman, Joker, and a couple of jokes. Not quite the same caliber as the Bohemian Rhapsody version...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5C1Zh7mRQQ
  • Options
    Do you think the people cutting the trailers are Wayne's World fans?

http://youtu.be/nTheG--2NE0
    http://youtu.be/_6_a1woHD98
  • Options
    I noticed Harley has more tattoos. I'm not a fan of the look for her or the Joker. The portrayals might eind up being spot on, but the look isn't for me.

There, I said it!

M.
  • Options
    Director David Ayer shoots down the "reshoot more humor footage" rumors:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/suicide-squad-director-david-ayer-882615

• Options
    I've watched the trailer a couple of times & I'll admit, I'm more interested in the music for the trailers then the movie. Kinda like I was for the Guardians of the Galaxy trailers. I think this'll be a Netflix for me. GotG would've been too, but my wife wanted to see that movie. She's still has no interest in the DCEU movies.

Hopefully by Wonder Woman, that changes!

M
  • Options

Director David Ayer shoots down the "reshoot more humor footage" rumors:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/suicide-squad-director-david-ayer-882615

Truthfully, it's what I would expect him to say. It's like actors praising their co-stars & movie. You downplay any issues.

M
  • Options
    Remember all the laughs we had about rumors and dismissal of rumors from the Fant4stic Four film set?
  • Options
    This image still gives me concern

• Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    Music video for the song "Heathens" (by TwentyOnePilots) for the film. If you've not listened to this band, do yourself a favor and check them out.

https://youtu.be/UprcpdwuwCg
  • Options
    Matt said:

I noticed Harley has more tattoos. I'm not a fan of the look for her or the Joker. The portrayals might eind up being spot on, but the look isn't for me.

There, I said it!

M.

Remember when we were being reassured that the tattoos on the Joker were only for that promo shot of Leto and that this wasn't going to be the look in the movie?

Now you can check out all of the clips of Leto/Joker from the trailers. I guess in 8 weeks, we'll know if it was good (and if the Joker is actually Robin or if he killed Robin). Anyone know if there's going to be another trailer before the August 5 release?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsOgS12w37Q

• Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    Eh. The way he's dressed and with the tattoos, it looks like one part Joker, one part rapper and one part rat pack member.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    Stephen Colbert announced to his audience the Canadian title for the upcoming Suicide Squad film, eh.

• Options
    fredzilla said:

Stephen Colbert announced to his audience the Canadian title for the upcoming Suicide Squad film, eh.

Hilarious. And on-point, because below is from the Hot Topic new clothing line for the move, no joke(r).

• Options
    Am I alone in being lukewarm for this movie? The trailers used thus far were interesting, but after seeing a TV spot, I found the "intetesting" occurred mostly from the music used.

I haven't really seen a string of scenes they've gotten me jazzed. Don't get me wrong, I'll Netflix this & hope its successful, but I'm just not feeling it.

M
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Matt said:

Am I alone in being lukewarm for this movie? The trailers used thus far were interesting, but after seeing a TV spot, I found the "intetesting" occurred mostly from the music used.

I haven't really seen a string of scenes they've gotten me jazzed. Don't get me wrong, I'll Netflix this & hope its successful, but I'm just not feeling it.

M

To me, it looks very much like an August movie. Which is to say, it does not look all that good to me, and I won't mind if I miss it. But it could also totally be the sort of thing I talk myself into seeing to just go get some air conditioning if I can make the time. Sometimes there are some actual good movies coming out, or still out, in August to see instead, and the excellent Museum of the Moving Image near us will sometimes screen some classics in the summer, and that becomes a better way to escape. But, I could see myself after a long, and very hot day with the kids, heading out some evening for this thinking, "It'll do!" To me, that is an August movie.

For some reason I vividly remember Reign of Fire being like that. It is sort of my mental archetype for it. The thing I compare movies like this to.

When that came out, it was right around my birthday, and the play I had been working on all summer, and would be working on for months more, got (I thought) a really unfair pan in the NY Times, and I thought, "You know what? I'm going to go watch helicopters fight dragons and think about absolutely nothing." August movies.
  • Options
    David_D said:

it could also totally be the sort of thing I talk myself into seeing to just go get some air conditioning if I can make the time.

David, do you need an air conditioner?