Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Suicide Squad - The Movie *Now with spoilers*

Comments

• Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881

David_D said:

As a lifelong Slipknot fan, I am excited to see the really big role he has in this.

Slipknot4Life!

Wait... who’s Slipknot again?
    I know, right? He's the character Adam Beach plays. He is in the trailers a very small amount, so I am guessing he will be the one that demonstrates how those implanted explosives work.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    David_D said:

He is in the trailers a very small amount, so I am guessing he will be the one that demonstrates how those implanted explosives work.

Most likely so. I think he serves the same purpose in the comic series.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Uh-oh, now I'm seriously getting worried about this movie.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881

David_D said:

He is in the trailers a very small amount, so I am guessing he will be the one that demonstrates how those implanted explosives work.

Most likely so. I think he serves the same purpose in the comic series.
    Indeed. I wonder if it will play out the same way (meaning Boomerang talks him into it). We'll see.
  • Options

Uh-oh, now I'm seriously getting worried about this movie.

I mean REALLY worried....
    https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/suicide_squad_2016/
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    I have to admit, I was waiting with bated breath to see what Laura Clifford of Reeling Reviews had to say. With a online photo that good, you *know* she knows a good movie when she sees it. To say nothing of Peter Canavase from Groucho Reviews chiming in.

Hey, I'm convinced. Secret Life of Pets for me this weekend... :)
  • Options
    I supose we're ALL waiting for Laura's review. But in spite of the announcements from several DC loyalists on these boards, I think I'm going to stick by my earlier prediction.

I predict this film will under-perform

• Options
    Ghostbusters underperformed. It was still a good movie.

If we're going to start measuring a movie's worth solely by first-weekend box office and declare them dead on arrival based on the opinions of people from Duluth, Nyack, and Jerome, it's a pretty sad commentary on the state of film.
  • Options
    The only reason I care about how much movies make is because it tells me the likelihood that more movies in the franchise, or similar movies by other studios, will be made.
  • Options
    That, I think, is valid. They're already planning a Harley Quinn movie with Robbie, so I don't know that that'll be impacted by this movie's performance or not. But maybe...

I'm just seeing a lot of hand-wringing (not just on here) that creates a self-fulling prophecy for a lot of films: "Movie X cost this much and is projected to only make this much in the first weekend and 100 critics - only a handful of whom are actual film experts with bona-fide credentials who you should maybe pay attention to - have been averaged together to give the film a low rating even though word of mouth from the general populace has been good. Therefore, the movie is a failure, so don't go see it."
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Torchsong said:

Ghostbusters underperformed. It was still a good movie.

If we're going to start measuring a movie's worth solely by first-weekend box office and declare them dead on arrival based on the opinions of people from Duluth, Nyack, and Jerome, it's a pretty sad commentary on the state of film.

By "underperform" I'm taking into account more than just box office revenue (which I also think will be underwhelming), but I'm also including audience acclaim and critical reception. Ghostbusters at least has 73% RT score, and a 60 meta-score. Suicide Squad is tracking at far worse than that.

While you may think Batman V Superman was great and Ghostbusters was good, I don't think time, nor general consensus and box-office is going to bear that out. Not that there's anything wrong with you liking them both, neither, or one of them, but even Paul Blart Mall Cop has its fans. Everybody's favorite movie is someone else least favorite.
  • Options

... even Paul Blart Mall Cop has its fans.

Now you're just making stuff up.
  • Options

With the following qualifier... Paul Blart Mall Cop 1 has its fans. I was NOT necessarily referring to its sequel, although some people claim to have liked it as well.
  • Options

By "underperform" I'm taking into account more than just box office revenue (which I also think will be underwhelming), but I'm also including audience acclaim and critical reception. Ghostbusters at least has 73% RT score, and a 60 meta-score. Suicide Squad is tracking at far worse than that.

Which all smacks of that great scene at the beginning of Dead Poets Society - a movie 85% fresh! - where a poem's value is figured out through performance measures and quantifiable metrics...until the kids all rip that page out of their books.

We need more page rippers these days...
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

Which all smacks of that great scene at the beginning of Dead Poets Society - a movie 85% fresh! - where a poem's value is figured out through performance measures and quantifiable metrics...until the kids all rip that page out of their books.

We need more page rippers these days...
    Another movie on somebody's least favorite list...
  • Options

With the following qualifier... Paul Blart Mall Cop 1 has its fans. I was NOT necessarily referring to its sequel, although some people claim to have liked it as well.
    Those people are obviously playing a huge practical joke on the rest of the world.
  • Options

Those people are obviously playing a huge practical joke on the rest of the world.
    Maybe it's the same group that down-voted the first Ghostbusters (2016) trailer...?
  • Options

I don't trust anyone pretentious enough to use two initials after their first name. Same with people who hyphenate their two last names together.

Which means I'd really hate someone named Edward P. H. Baden-Smythe...
  • Options
    Very well.

So I hope you enjoy SS and tell us all what you liked most and liked least about it.

Until then....
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

I don't trust anyone pretentious enough to use two initials after their first name. Same with people who hyphenate their two last names together.

Which means I'd really hate someone named Edward P. H. Baden-Smythe...
    But... but...
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    'Appalling sexism and hideously timed gun worship': Suicide Squad branded 'disastrous' and 'stupid' as movie is savaged by critics

The best line is from Alison Willmore of BuzzFeed: "Harley Quinn is meant to be Suicide Squad’s dark heart. Instead, she’s been made into its damaged dolly jerk-off material"

"Gun worship" "jerk-off material" ....

Crap, I want to see this now!
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Mr_Cosmic said:

'Appalling sexism and hideously timed gun worship': Suicide Squad branded 'disastrous' and 'stupid' as movie is savaged by critics

The best line is from Alison Willmore of BuzzFeed: "Harley Quinn is meant to be Suicide Squad’s dark heart. Instead, she’s been made into its damaged dolly jerk-off material"

"Gun worship" "jerk-off material" ....

Crap, I want to see this now!

"Hideously timed gun worship"...? Something tells me the reviewer doesn't really care for firearms, period. Or comic book movies in general for that matter.

Any guesses as to what they thought of Deadpool?

• Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    It's tracking numbers for this weekend put it over 100 million. But I think after that it's going to nosedive.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    I've never used critics to dictate my viewing selection. If, however, the critics aren't overly favorable & the movie does "okay," will there be a flood of "this movie was made for true fans" posts & tweets?

If so, can anyone give me the definition of a "true fans"? I've always thought that meant a pompous section of hardo fans who are of a like mindset that elevate their own opinion above dissenters. I don't know if that's accurate though.
  • Options
    Matt said:

If, however, the critics aren't overly favorable & the movie does "okay," will there be a flood of "this movie was made for true fans" posts & tweets?

@Matt called it. David Ayers is already on Twitter, responding to poor reviews by essentially saying "I love the movie. I believe in it. I made it for the fans." Well, at least he's not doing a Josh Trank number and distancing himself, but the "true fans" deflection is becoming a trope for these sorts of troubled productions.

Suicide Squad opens tomorrow, worldwide.

• Options
    Matt said:

If so, can anyone give me the definition of a "true fans"? I've always thought that meant a pompous section of hardo fans who are of a like mindset that elevate their own opinion above dissenters. I don't know if that's accurate though.

Not exactly related, but if any studio has been caught recently paying for 'positive reviews,' it wasn't Disney...
  • Options
    We always used "fanboys" to describe the hardcore I-know-more-than-you-do people who give a bad name to the hobby. True Fan to me might speak to someone who grew up on a steady diet of Ostrander's series and would like to see more of that come out in the movie. Is Waller a take-no-shit character? Is Boomerang a backstabbing asshole? That kind of stuff.

Problem is, of course, if you're making your movie solely for the "True Fan" you're already putting it in a niche market that doesn't lend itself to profitability.

• Options
    Torchsong said:

Problem is, of course, if you're making your movie solely for the "True Fan" you're already putting it in a niche market that doesn't lend itself to profitability.

That isn’t necessarily the case, though I agree it most often probably is when it comes to the superhero genre. It really comes down to how the source material was written. I could name any number of stories—“Batman: Year One” for instance—which aren't bogged down in fan minutiae and would appeal to a broad audience while still being great for the “true fans”.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    I agree with @Torchsong & @nweathington and I think the problem with the “This movie is for fans” argument is that it’s not the hardcore fanbase these movies need to win over, but the broader audience.

There will always be casual moviegoers who just want to see Batman busting heads, Superman blasting things with heat vision, and Wonder Woman going full Amazonian, narrative and logic be damned, and that’s fine. We all need some violent catharsis from time to time. But there will also be many, many fans of this genre — a lot of that broader movie-going audience — who will be left confused by the logical leaps and the gaps in the narrative. As an example of the last DCU film, Batman v Superman expected viewers to fill in a considerable amount of blanks as quickly as the characters on screen are inexplicably doing it. For a fan who has a solid working knowledge of the DC universe, it’s not that hard. But for everyone else, all I can say is, well…I sure hope you’re one of the people who just wanted to see Batman punching shit.

So far, I seem to prefer the Marvel movies, but I didn't care much for Age of Ultron. In fact, it's one of the few MCU films I haven't rewatched (along with Iron Man 2 and both Thor films). If you own the BvS ultimate edition, and you saw it in theaters, then you are probably what I would consider a "True Fan"