Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

OT - NFL Post Season 1

mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
With the new forums comes a new start to our NFL and boy do we have a lot to talk about since the previous thread

Peyton Is a Bronco
Payton is gone FOR A YEAR
Tebow is a Jet
TONS OF ofseason stories. What a way to kick off the new forums

Comments

• Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    Tebow going to the jets is a head scratcher for me. Didn't the Jets just extend Sanchez's contract? Why do they need Tebow? I think Tim would have done really well in Jacksonville or Miami.
  • Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    They wanted the money from the Jersey sales to Tebow fanboys and fangirls.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    I'm not surprised at the penalties thrown at the Saints, and I honestly think it was a slap on the wrist (at least the financials part of it). We'll be feeling the lack of draft picks more than anything. I'm surprised we're not banned from the playoffs this year.

Williams should be out permanently, and Payton can use the year off to reflect on what he wants the organization to actually stand for. He's a great coach. I still believe that. He can't turn a blind eye to stuff like this, though.

And now that Loomis is out of the way, maybe someone who doesn't have their head stuck up their ass can give Brees whatever he wants to stick with the team. We need #9 now more than ever.
  • Options
    The Saints should be lucky this is all they got. It could have been a lot worse. I've been hearing that Warren Sapp is saying that Jeremy Shockey is the snitch.
  • Options
    The Saints should be lucky this is all they got. It could have been a lot worse. I've been hearing that Warren Sapp is saying that Jeremy Shockey is the snitch.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    A fine way to christen the off-topic category. Carry on with... whatever the hell it is you people are talking about here ;)
  • Options
    What's been interesting is there's hints of backlash now...people saying Goodell overstepped and has too much power. As I said, I don't think he went far enough. It will be rough without Payton, but Sharper tweeted it best - we need to focus on securing Brees. He can lead the team on the field better than many coaches can lead from the sidelines.
  • Options
    electric_mayhemelectric_mayhem Posts: 641
    edited March 2012
    Goodell didn't do enough. He shoulda taken the Trophy away. And to think of where the SuperBowl is held this coming year..... The irony is palpable. Payton looked to be like a decent coach and loyal to his players. But covering it up is worse than the offense. The Commish didn't do enough.

-rant over...
  • Options
    Well it looks like tebow is now a Jet after a small hiccup.
    All this football news is messing with my NBA season. Just too much stuff going on I tell you, but am I glad Bryan got this up yesterday because I would have hated taunting the Saints Aints-gotta-coach fans here
  • Options
    I don't get Tebow going to the Jets. What the hell do they need him for considering they just extended Sanchez's contract? Makes no sense to me and I think Tebow is sitting the bench this coming season.
  • Options
    I wouldn't strip the trophy - let's be honest here, the sin was not that the Saints had a bounty system, the sin is that they got caught. I'd put cash money down a LOT of teams had quick huddle meetings making damn sure their programs were stopped and their noses were clean. Plus Goodell's no fool...he doesn't want a big "?" on the 2009 season. It'd make a bigger black eye there than there already is.

I think the fine was light, but we haven't seen Goodell come down on the players yet, so we'll see how far that plays out. I'm not sure how we're going to play the first half of the season without a defensive line but I guess we'll find out! :)
  • Options
    TS you haven't got to defend your boys ;) We all know they are scombags ;)

• Options
    grrrrrr trying to get this new forum figured out.
  • Options
    TS you haven't got to defend your boys ;) We all know they are scombags ;)

Hey, I'm all for the main offenders getting their just desserts, even if it means another 1-16 season. Someone said it really well - Play by the rules or the game means nothing. I love Vilma but if he was the player doling out the cash for this, out he goes.

Of course the major concern is that Brees will say "F-it", play a lackluster season under his 1-year extension and then throw himself up for anyone who wants him. Not that I'd blame him, but the brass in NO are idiots if they don't just put a blank piece of paper in front of him and say "What's it gonna take to keep you, Drew?" at this stage of the game.

• Options
    I doubt that Brees would do that. I can see why he would be upset with the team especially when they put they franchised him and when you heard him talk about it on the Mike and Mike show, he was pretty bummed by it.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    I'm about to run OT on our conversation, but does the new forums seem a little like a popularity contest? Did you know we can earn badges? What about the Awesome/OffTopic/LOL buttons?

I'm just getting used to the new site; after a week or so it will be home. Now off to test a button.
    Edit: So you only get one vote thingy per post, but you can vote on every post for instance I just disagreed with everyone (note: you can also remove your +1 vote). You can't vote on your own post (tried to disagree with myself). I'm thinking I would have liked an idiot button for the previous forum, for a hypothetical instance if one were to say they don't believe in reality, truth or facts.
  • Options
    I wouldn't strip the trophy - let's be honest here, the sin was not that the Saints had a bounty system, the sin is that they got caught. I'd put cash money down a LOT of teams had quick huddle meetings making damn sure their programs were stopped and their noses were clean. Plus Goodell's no fool...he doesn't want a big "?" on the 2009 season. It'd make a bigger black eye there than there already is.

I think the fine was light, but we haven't seen Goodell come down on the players yet, so we'll see how far that plays out. I'm not sure how we're going to play the first half of the season without a defensive line but I guess we'll find out! :)

No. The sin is just AS big as lying about it., Goodell can't look weak at all, with the lawsuits coming. I agree that other teams might have done it, ala Bil-cheat with Spy-gate. How does that trophy look with a big Asterisk next to it?

Nothing personally, Al. But this subject hits close to home. Dem Purple had a chance and the Saints playing dirty makes the loss all that more bittersweet.

• Options
    The Vikes have always been a thorn in the Saints side where the post-season is concerned. Any time we'd make the playoffs, the Vikes were there to kick us back out. They really didn't NEED bounties to have the defense willing to go out and kill the old man. Most would have done it gratis. :)

I'm really interested to see if this doesn't backfire on Goodell. I don't want it to, mind you. I think he was too lenient. Apparently I'm in the minority.

I feel your pain though. When Laettner stepped on Timberlake's chest in the UK - Duke game back in the 90s, made the shot when he should have been ejected, and then laughed about it later...trust me, he still has to take a route around Kentucky when trying to get from Michigan to Florida. :)
  • Options
    The Vikes have always been a thorn in the Saints side where the post-season is concerned. Any time we'd make the playoffs, the Vikes were there to kick us back out. They really didn't NEED bounties to have the defense willing to go out and kill the old man. Most would have done it gratis. :)

I'm really interested to see if this doesn't backfire on Goodell. I don't want it to, mind you. I think he was too lenient. Apparently I'm in the minority.

I feel your pain though. When Laettner stepped on Timberlake's chest in the UK - Duke game back in the 90s, made the shot when he should have been ejected, and then laughed about it later...trust me, he still has to take a route around Kentucky when trying to get from Michigan to Florida. :)
    Oh snap! Nice call back there. Laettner is a douche.... IMHO.

• Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    edited March 2012
    As my Dad said, while shaking his head and laughing:

"Some days, you gotta thank God for the Jets."

(He's a Jets and Cowboys fan)
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Any Dolphins fans around here?
  • Options
    If there were, would they actually admit it?
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    I was sorry to see Timmy go, but understand why it had to happen. He seems like a good guy, but the maniacs that have attached themselves to him are a just ridiculous.
  • Options
    I was sorry to see Timmy go, but understand why it had to happen. He seems like a good guy, but the maniacs that have attached themselves to him are a just ridiculous.
    Yeah, I know what you mean....

• Options
    While seeking the counsel of his former boss and mentor, Bill Parcells, New Orleans Saints coach Sean Payton has broached the idea of Parcells becoming the interim head coach during Payton's suspension for the 2012 season, according to several league sources.

Payton and Parcells have spoken numerous times, sources said, since NFL commissioner Roger Goodell announced last Wednesday that the Saints coach was being suspended for the year because the league found that the team had engaged in a bounty program that included incentives to injure opposing players.

Payton is contemplating an appeal of his stiff sentence, sources said. His suspension begins April 1 and will end after the Super Bowl.

Payton's agent said Monday "no decisions have been made about an appeal.
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7738693/sean-payton-bill-parcells-discuss-new-orleans-saints-job-sources-say

cbsports says this:
    There are great benefits to Payton if Parcells coaches. If Parcells wins in Payton's absence, then Payton can just say Parcells is a Hall of Famer. Of course he won. If Parcells loses, Payton can say, "See how valuable I am? The team lost with a Hall of Famer coaching it.
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/mike-freeman/18062824/sean-payton-considers-hiring-bill-parcells

I kinda agree that Payton is trying to out-think the NFL front office and Goodell.
  • Options
    The best suggestion I've heard is that either CBS or Fox hire Payton for one year as a commentator/analyst. Apparently there's absolutely no rule against him doing it, he would be a good commentator on strategy (yeah, I know, y'all want me to say "scheming" but I ain't gonna bite! :) ), and it would provide him an unofficial "soapbox" to throw digs at Goodell if he felt like it.

Also I would like to commend Doctor Doom at this time for providing the only photographic evidence I have ever seen to support Tebowing. :)
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    If there were, would they actually admit it?

:)) and then >:/
  • Options
    Newest rumor: The Saints might...MIGHT...be courting the Big Tuna (Bill Parcells) to coach the year that regular coach Sean Payton is suspended. As a Parcells fan, I'm excited. If we have to have a year where we're (deservedly) crippled...let's at least have some fun with it.
  • Options

Also I would like to commend Doctor Doom at this time for providing the only photographic evidence I have ever seen to support Tebowing. :)
    Just doin' my due diligence.