Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

NFL 2012 Season Thread

Comments

• Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    Torchsong said:

Wow. On what planet is that a catch?

Tie goes to the runner!

Remember, there must be indisputable Evidence to overturn the call, most evidence I've seen is pretty disputable.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

Tie goes to the runner!

They were playing football, not baseball.
  • Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    edited September 2012
    Pay the damn REAL refs -- SHOW THEM THE MONEY! Hell cut the pay of the players if you must.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBS0OWGUidc

Matthew
  • Options
    Hey Wisconsin, how about them unions? :-\"

DAR, I am fustrated (not as much) and angry. What a call... Weekend 3 is a joke, imagine what Week 10, 15 or even playoffs are gonna be like??!! 8-}
  • Options
    @AlbertBrooks: Oh my God. I just realized I know the ref that made the call tonight. He’s my accountant.
    hilarious
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    WetRats said:

Officiating am wonderful!

Me not understand what fuss about.

It is only a game, Right?
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    rebis said:

I don't know why this made me laugh.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    rebis said:

WetRats said:

Not in Bizarro-land!
  • Options
    WetRats said:

rebis said:

WetRats said:

Not in Bizarro-land!
    Or America!
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Heard a story today on the news. There was this young boy in Louisiana that was getting beaten everyday by his father. So he ran away to the Superdome. Cause the Saints don't beat anybody.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    dubbat138 said:

Heard a story today on the news. There was this young boy in Louisiana that was getting beaten everyday by his father. So he ran away to the Superdome. Cause the Saints don't beat anybody.

I'm comfortable enough in my love of the Saints to laugh out loud at that one. :)

There's a cartoon a while back where a little boy asks his father what a touchdown is. The father says he doesn't know and the kid asks why he doesn't know. "Because we're Jets fans" the father replies. :)

• Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    and the officials are back

most of me is very happy, but i have to admit there's a little part that wanted to see what was going to happen next
  • Options
    Good to have them back.

Now we can get back to complaining about the real refs!
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    I wonder how long it will take for defenses to start playing by the rules again?
  • Options
    sandmansandman Posts: 201
    Are you kidding me? Detroit gives up a punt return and kick-off return for a touch down in two consecutive games? The special teams play has been horrible.
  • Options
    lets see...... Vikes are 3-1, Saints are 0-4, Pack needed a kicker to miss in order to win a very WINNABLE game. Sunday has been a very good day..
  • Options
    Now THAT'S the Saints I know and love. Got the win with a simple little kick, and they manage to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

And still Brees puts up 440+ yards passing. Stick with us, Drew. It's a rebuilding year...heh, heh...
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    all games seem to last way too long for my Dolphins :((
  • Options
    That Giants game made me want to cry.

I settled for Revenge and 666 Park Avenue.
  • Options
    steve_bryantsteve_bryant Posts: 96
    edited October 2012
    Sorry I've been away so much; deadlines, deadlines, deadlines!

On the Colin Cowherd show, Greg Jennings summed up how I feel about the media scrutiny that Jay Cutler faces: http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=8452712 The Cutler talk is from 4:00 to 4:45.

Cutler doesn't play the media game and answers honestly, or tells them they're full of shit. Because of that, they take every opportunity they have to paint him as a jerk. Remember the story that Moose Johnston and Fox Sports did during the first or second game last season, where they showed (in Johnston's words) "actual headlines from Chicago papers," followed by a litany of headlines talking about how Chicago fans hate Cutler, etc? The Chicago Tribune researched his claim and it turns out, not only were they not "actual headlines from Chicago papers," they weren't even actual headlines from ANY Papers! Fox Sports mocked them up to serve the story they wanted to tell.

Is he kind of a defiant prick? You bet. When they're not busy saying media-friendly rehearsed quotes, I bet most NFL QBs are.

Does he argue with coaches? Yes, but Brady had famous shouting matches with coordinator Bill O'Brien—they even had to be separated during a game!

Did he shove J'Marcus Webb? Yeah, just like Romo shoved Dez Bryant last night. Interestingly enough, the folks at NFL AM laughed off the Romo shove because of Bryant's drops. Funny, no one mentions that J Webb is statistically the worst LG for the last 2 years. And no one mentioned the shot the cameras caught of Cutler patting Webb's helmet last night and saying "Good job."

Cutler hasn't been accused of sexual assault, like Ben Roethlisberger. Cutler hasn't been accused of giving a woman herpes while using an assumed name ("Ron Mexico") like Mike Vick. Cutler hasn't done federal prison time for conspiracy, dogfighting, and racketeering charges like Vick. He hasn't even sexted pics of his wang to a sideline reporter like Brett Favre.

So why does the media treat him like Hitler?
  • Options

Sorry I've been away so much; deadlines, deadlines, deadlines!

On the Colin Cowherd show, Greg Jennings summed up how I feel about the media scrutiny that Jay Cutler faces: http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=8452712

Cutler doesn't play the media game and answers honestly, or tells them they're full of shit. Because of that, they take every opportunity they have to paint him as a jerk. Remember the story that Moose Johnston and Fox Sports did during the first or second game last season, where they showed (in Johnston's words) "actual headlines from Chicago papers," followed by a litany of headlines talking about how Chicago fans hate Cutler, etc? The Chicago Tribune researched his claim and it turns out, not only were they not "actual headlines from Chicago papers," they weren't even actual headlines from ANY Papers! Fox Sports mocked them up to serve the story they wanted to tell.

Is he kind of a defiant prick? You bet. When they're not busy saying media-friendly rehearsed quotes, I bet most NFL QBs are.

Does he argue with coaches? Yes, but Brady had famous shouting matches with coordinator Bill O'Brien—they even had to be separated during a game!

Did he shove J'Marcus Webb? Yeah, just like Romo shoved Dez Bryant last night. Interestingly enough, the folks at NFL AM laughed off the Romo shove because of Bryant's drops. Funny, no one mentions that J Webb is statistically the worst LG for the last 2 years. And no one mentioned the shot the cameras caught of Cutler patting Webb's helmet last night and saying "Good job."

Cutler hasn't been accused of sexual assault, like Ben Roethlisberger. Cutler hasn't been accused of giving a woman herpes while using an assumed name ("Ron Mexico") like Mike Vick. Cutler hasn't done federal prison time for conspiracy, dogfighting, and racketeering charges like Vick. He hasn't even sexted pics of his wang to a sideline reporter like Brett Favre.

So why does the media treat him like Hitler?

first mistake was listening to Cowbutt. I cannot stand that guy. He takes Rome's schtick and amps it to realm of unlistenable airwaves. Culter is Culter. The media has been spoiled by the Mannings, Brady, Montana, Favre, etc. I would ignore them and ask yourself, "Why do I care what those talking heads think?"
  • Options
    steve_bryantsteve_bryant Posts: 96
    edited October 2012
    I heard the Jennings quote on Waddle and Silvy on ESPN Chicago and really liked the quote. I had to search to find the audio and wanted to share it because Jennings nails it.

:)
  • Options
    edited October 2012

The Chicago Tribune researched his claim and it turns out, not only were they not "actual headlines from Chicago papers," they weren't even actual headlines from ANY Papers! Fox Sports mocked them up to serve the story they wanted to tell.

Fox News? But..but they're fair and balanced! I'll thank you not to cast any negative light on that bastion of the Fourth Estate, sir!

Now you have me picturing Breesus getting off-camera and kicking a puppy. :)

• Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    Well that Packer game sucked
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    DAR said:

Well that Packer game sucked

Colts came to life in the second half. It was like a different team hit the field after half time.

• Options
    Drew Brees won a game with Sean Payton there... sneaky, Drew.. sneaky...

Steelers and Vikes won... and the Pack keep showing what they really are..

"and the silence you hear........... is Lambeau Field"
  • Options
    Breesus broke Unitas' record. Here's to hoping he'll keep adding to the number so it's a good long time before someone breaks his. Devery, you stay healthy and keep those hands limber, y'hear?

We've a tough rest of the season against tough opponents (can ANYone beat them Dirty Birds right now?), but we had a solid win against the hated Rivers and Turner combo. My Bronco-loving relatives were all Saints fans for a couple hours on Sunday. :)
  • Options
    A month since an appeals panel temporarily overturned Roger Goodell's suspensions of the four players involved in the Saints bounty, the NFL commissioner reissued his decision Tuesday. Linebacker Jonathan Vilma remains suspended for the season, defensive end Will Smith remains suspended for four games, linebacker Scott Fujita's suspension was reduced to one game (it was originally three), and Anothony Hargrove's suspension was reduced to seven games (it was originally eight).

“In my recent meetings with the players and their counsel, the players addressed the allegations and had an opportunity to tell their side of the story,” Goodell wrote in his decision. “In those meetings, the players confirmed many of the key facts disclosed in our investigation, most particularly that the program offered cash rewards for ‘cart-offs,' that players were encouraged to ‘crank up the John Deere tractor' and have their opponents carted off the field, and that rewards were offered and paid for plays that resulted in opposing players having to leave the field of play.”
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/20525785

BOOM! whatya think of dose apples?
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    I think you need to post the rest of the article. :)
    The NFL Players Association issued the following response to Goodell's latest ruling:

"For more than six months, the NFL has ignored the facts, abused the process outlined in our collective bargaining agreement and failed to produce evidence that the players intended to injure anyone, ever. The only evidence that exists is the league's gross violation of fair due process, transparency and impartiality during this process. Truth and fairness have been the casualties of the league's refusal to admit that it might have made a mistake. We will review this decision thoroughly and review all options to protect our players' rights with vigilance."

CBSSports.com's Mike Freeman writes that Goodell, as he has done in the past with other players in trouble, rewarded cooperation while standing firm on his belief that the Saints were involved in a pay-to-injure scheme.

Vilma and Smith are currently on the Saints' roster while Fujita plays for the Browns and Hargrove is a free agent.
    Not over yet...probably won't be over until the season is...

CNN added that the players can delay the decision by appealing again. And there's still Vilma's suit against Goodell outside of all this.