Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

NFL 2012 Season Thread

Comments

• Options
    electric_mayhemelectric_mayhem Posts: 641
    edited October 2012
    The NFLPA response wasn't the news. :P

Goodells insistence to not be bullied by a union that is having contract regrets shows he means what he did. I say he had no choice but reissue it otherwise he looks, and the NFL as well, weak.

• Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Making the NFL weak has been a staple of Goodell's commissionership from the moment he took office. :P

They'll appeal. He'll be asked to show evidence. He won't be able to. It'll get tossed. Vilma will sue him for defamation. He'll win. Goodell will end up homeless, crying into a used tissue about nobody listening to him and muttering "damn...replacement...refs..." over and over in his sleep.
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

Making the NFL weak has been a staple of Goodell's commissionership from the moment he took office. :P

They'll appeal. He'll be asked to show evidence. He won't be able to. It'll get tossed. Vilma will sue him for defamation. He'll win. Goodell will end up homeless, crying into a used tissue about nobody listening to him and muttering "damn...replacement...refs..." over and over in his sleep.

Now you sound like Packers... and their fans... \:D/
  • Options
    Well, let's be honest here. Right or wrong, Goodell isn't doing much to ingratiate himself with the players, fans, or hell...anyone. Now that might very well be the commish's job, but at the same time, as the Super Bowl is being held in the Big Easy this time around, he would be smart to sneak in, avoid trying the "special" gumbo we'll have for him in his suite, and pay no attention to the houngan who just wants a lock of his hair. :)

• Options
    Torchsong said:

Well, let's be honest here. Right or wrong, Goodell isn't doing much to ingratiate himself with the players, fans, or hell...anyone. Now that might very well be the commish's job, but at the same time, as the Super Bowl is being held in the Big Easy this time around, he would be smart to sneak in, avoid trying the "special" gumbo we'll have for him in his suite, and pay no attention to the houngan who just wants a lock of his hair. :)

Sounds like there's a bounty on Goodell.
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128

Drew Brees won a game with Sean Payton there... sneaky, Drew.. sneaky...

Steelers and Vikes won... and the Pack keep showing what they really are..

"and the silence you hear........... is Lambeau Field"

Well of course it's silent, they're on the road the next few weeks.

Truthfully I'm not sure if this they're really not that good or they are still that good and not playing up to their potential. But as they proved in 2010 and the Giants last year, finishing strong is more important than ending strong. Not saying it will happen again but that seems to be trend.
  • Options

Torchsong said:

Sounds like there's a bounty on Goodell.
    Well, if we're going to be accused, tried and convicted of it with no recourse...we might as well BE guilty of it. :) How you like that third nipple growing out the middle of your head, Goodell? :)
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

Well, if we're going to be accused, tried and convicted of it with no recourse...we might as well BE guilty of it. :) How you like that third nipple growing out the middle of your head, Goodell? :)

• Options
    I had that as my wallpaper for a while on my computer. Love it!

To be clear - I have no problem believing the Saints did a Pay for Performance program - just like every other team in the league does. I have no problem believing people got paid money when they hurt other players in the line of doing this PfP program. And I can see Goodell having a problem with that, telling the coaches to stop it, the coaches seeing nobody else stopping it so wondering why they ought to, and then Goodell getting angry at it because nobody's paying attention to him.

What Goodell has shown is that he doesn't understand the difference between a PfP program and his fantastical 'Bountygate' program we're alleged to have done. He's shown as much in his statements, his unwillingness to release any substantial evidence, and his backsliding on some of his earlier statements. My hope is that he'll get called into court where he'll have to show this 50,000 pages of evidence he claims to have. And when it's revealed the emperor has no clothes, they'll re-evaluate his role in the NFL.

And then of course I wake up and Vilma says "Fuck it, I'm tired of fighting this, and I want to play next year, so I'll give in to the Kingpin's demands. So, sure...I did it." :)
  • Options
    BOOM goes the dynamite!
    The 33-year-old Fujita has maintained his innocence from the start of the scandal. He particularly has taken issue with Goodell's dealings with player safety.

"For me, the issue of player health & safety is personal," said Fujita. "For the league and the Commissioner, it's about perception & liability. The Commissioner says he is disappointed in me. The truth is, I'm disappointed in him. His positions on player health and safety since a 2009 congressional hearing on concussions have been inconsistent at best. He failed to acknowledge a link between concussions & post-career brain disease, pushed for an 18-game regular season, committed to a full season of Thursday night games, has continually challenged players' rights to file workers compensation claims for on-the-job injuries, and he employed incompetent replacement officials for the start of the 2012 season. His actions or lack thereof are by the league's own definition, "conduct detrimental".

"My track record on the issue of player health & safety speaks for itself. And clearly, as I just listed, the Commissioner's does too."
    Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/football/nfl/10/10/scott-fujita-roger-goodell.ap/index.html#ixzz291nN1SrC
  • Options
    Apparently Vilma and Smith aren't done with him either. Expose this charlatan for the soulless ginger that he is, guys!
  • Options
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/football/nfl/10/12/nfl-saints-bounty-appeal/index.html?sct=nfl_t2_a3

No real shock here. Seriously, Goodell needs to remove himself from this. He's only making himself look like more of a diddlyboob the deeper it gets.

Diddlyboob...that's a legal term. Look it up. :)
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Torchsong said:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/football/nfl/10/12/nfl-saints-bounty-appeal/index.html?sct=nfl_t2_a3

No real shock here. Seriously, Goodell needs to remove himself from this. He's only making himself look like more of a diddlyboob the deeper it gets.

Diddlyboob...that's a legal term. Look it up. :)

The NFL court will come to order *bangs the head of a replacement ref

I hereby claim the Diddlyboob will present its evidence of wrongdoing

Exhibit A: Players confessed.

Court finds for Diddlyboob, Court is adjourned!
  • Options
    Aaron Rodgers to the critics tonight "shhhhhhh"
  • Options
    From Peter King's Monday Morning Quarterback:
    5. I think if I were Roger Goodell, I would do exactly what the four suspended Saints want him to do: recuse himself and allow either of his discipline czars, Ted Cottrell or Art Shell, or both, to comb through the facts of the Saints' bounty and determine if Goodell has made the right call.

I understand why Goodell might be hesitant to do so -- because he doesn't have to, by CBA rules -- but what harm is there in allowing a new set of eyes to see what he's seen in such endless, numbing detail for this entire calendar year? I still believe the suspended players will feel wronged if Goodell does recuse himself and the players are found culpable. But at least it will be new people looking at the evidence.
    Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/peter_king/10/15/week-6/index.html#ixzz29NkC9kPC

I say drag his ass into court. :) I want to see all 50,000 pages of evidence, not 49,999.
  • Options
    DAR said:

Aaron Rodgers to the critics tonight "shhhhhhh its only one game and since we couldn't even beat the Colts or the vaulted 49ers, we gotta prove it again next weekend"

fixed. ;)
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

I understand why Goodell might be hesitant to do so -- because he doesn't have to, by CBA rules -- but what harm is there in allowing a new set of eyes to see what he's seen in such endless, numbing detail for this entire calendar year? I still believe the suspended players will feel wronged if Goodell does recuse himself and the players are found culpable. But at least it will be new people looking at the evidence.

Right there... He doesn't have to. If he did, he would look weak to the Owners and the NFLPA, who are itching to sue the NFL. Goodell will go down swingin', its corporate strategy 101, never admit wrongdoing even after the Courts have given their verdict.
  • Options
    oh and by the way, The Giants just copied what another NFL team did, they weren't the first, you East Coast-loving-overhyped-media.

and yes......... The Vikings are yet again on a NFL highlight reel where they really, really, really, really, Really, Really, Really, Really, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY don't wanna be on... D'OH! ~X(
  • Options

Right there... He doesn't have to. If he did, he would look weak to the Owners and the NFLPA, who are itching to sue the NFL. Goodell will go down swingin', its corporate strategy 101, never admit wrongdoing even after the Courts have given their verdict.

On this we agree 100%. Goodell will never admit he was wrong. Neither will Vilma. One of them will be found to be by the courts, but they'll likely go down protesting their innocence even after the gavel has swung and the appeals have been filed.

• Options
    edited October 2012
    @Torchsong

On this we agree 100%. Goodell will never admit he was wrong. Neither will Vilma. One of them will be found to be by the courts, but they'll likely go down protesting their innocence even after the gavel has swung and the appeals have been filed.
    I am so enjoying our lively discussion, Al. Much respect to you and yours.
  • Options

DAR said:

Aaron Rodgers to the critics tonight "shhhhhhh its only one game and since we couldn't even beat the Colts or the vaulted 49ers, we gotta prove it again next weekend"

fixed. ;)
    I have a feeling they will :) especially if Rodgers plays like this not 6 touchdowns good, but last three games 13 tds 2 ints.

• Options

@Torchsong

I am so enjoying our lively discussion, Al. Much respect to you and yours.

Hey, we're brothers in Rocafort-love, if not football! :)
  • Options
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/football/nfl/10/16/jonathan-vilma-bounty.ap/index.html?sct=hp_t2_a8&eref=sihp

Time to put up or shut up, Goodell. Let's hope that hand is a good one, or the judge won't be kind...
  • Options
    DAR said:

DAR said:

fixed. ;)
    I have a feeling they will :) especially if Rodgers plays like this not 6 touchdowns good, but last three games 13 tds 2 ints.

If Rodgers and the Pack can, then I say the NFC North will again be a division to be feared!

• Options
    http://tracking.si.com/2012/10/16/fan-sues-nfl-roger-goodell-saints/?sct=hp_t2_a14&eref=sihp

Okay, slobbering N'awlins fan that I am, this is a bit extreme. If this passes I'd like to retroactively sue for the entire 80s decade worth of seasons. :) I will submit my paper bag as People's Exhibit A.

And even still we'd have to get in line behind the Cleveland Browns fans. :)
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Torchsong said:

http://tracking.si.com/2012/10/16/fan-sues-nfl-roger-goodell-saints/?sct=hp_t2_a14&eref=sihp

Okay, slobbering N'awlins fan that I am, this is a bit extreme. If this passes I'd like to retroactively sue for the entire 80s decade worth of seasons. :) I will submit my paper bag as People's Exhibit A.

And even still we'd have to get in line behind the Cleveland Browns fans. :)

I was wondering when something like this was going to pop up, had a hunch that it would.
  • Options
    The soap opera continues - the NFL is asking Judge Berrigan not to interfere.

NFL - The players agreed to let Goodell be the arbiter.
    Players - We agreed to let him be an arbiter, not a douchebag.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out.
  • Options
    http://whodatdish.com/2012/10/19/smash-for-cash-vs-the-saints-bounty/

Oh no you DIDN'T just implicate the Packers in this! Oh no you DIDN'T!!!
    C'mon Goodell...where's the fines? Afraid to go after the Pack? Hmmm? HMMMM!?!?
    BOOM goeth the dynamite!
  • Options
    steve_bryantsteve_bryant Posts: 96
    edited October 2012
    Psyched about this week's matchup between the Bears and the Lions. T

The best part about when these teams last met was when Stafford (after throwing his third or 4th interception), threw blocker DJ Moore to the ground by his facemask. Moore got up and ran toward Stafford, who fell to the ground and curled up in a ball.

It's funny, after their 0-16 season, I really rooted for the Lions to bounce back, but between the classless behavior of the team and their douchebag coach, I actively root against them like no other team.

Even as a diehard Bears fan, I can't muster the same angst toward the once-hated Packers or Vikings—too classy of organizations. But the Lions? It. is. on. :)
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Thanks for making me sweat, Eli freakin' Manning!

Still, I believed in Eli. What a game. Exciting to the end.