Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Movie News: Fantastic Four Reboot. (And Marvel vs. Fox)

Comments

• Options
    So the news from TCA is that Fox is currently negotiating with Marvel to allow Fox to do an X-Men based TV series (marvel still has TV rights for the characters, but can't make anything live action TV or movie, that references mutants, hence the Mutant X debacle from like 15 years ago). Let's hope there is a certain property's rights on the table.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited August 2015

So the news from TCA is that Fox is currently negotiating with Marvel to allow Fox to do an X-Men based TV series (marvel still has TV rights for the characters, but can't make anything live action TV or movie, that references mutants, hence the Mutant X debacle from like 15 years ago). Let's hope there is a certain property's rights on the table.

Even if Marvel had the cinematic rights to FF back, at this point, I doubt they'd want to use them in the next 10 years. I can see fans wanting that, but as a brand if was never a merchandising hit, and looks like it is about to be damaged goods. Again.

I would more expect for Marvel to try to negotiate a Wolverine appearance in an MCU film. Because if you are going to negotiate, why not go for the thing that has succeeded?
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    If Marvel had FF back they wouldn't need to give them their own movie right off the bat. Introduce them in another character's movie and slowly lead them to their own film.
  • Options
    playdohsrepublicplaydohsrepublic Posts: 1,377
    edited August 2015
    I agree that it's be 5-10 years before Marvel would make another FF movie, but that doesn't mean Doctor Doom, or Annihilus or the Silver Surfer, among others, couldn't appear sooner. And I for one wouldn't want to see Wolverine in the MCU at this point. Or anything X-related. What's the point, they feel pretty well separated. Plus Hugh Jackman is pretty much done with the role. I guess they could throw more money at him, but for a one-off appearance vs a library of characters they can use for eternity?
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Mr_Cosmic said:

If Marvel had FF back they wouldn't need to give them their own movie right off the bat. Introduce them in another character's movie and slowly lead them to their own film.

Sure. But in a world where they are having success launching new (to the general public) characters like GOTG and Ant-Man directly into their own features, and with so many other not yet tapped properties to turn to, why bother? Why spend the time basically doing crisis PR on the FF to change their reputation with audiences when you could be using that screen time to do something that has a fresher chance?

Sure, the FF had history with fans of Marvel Comics. But I feel like for the MCU to try to 'do them right' after these several failures would just look like pride. And, unlike launching so etching untapped, right away you are inviting comparisons, and showing that you have something to prove, you know what I mean?

I could see them grabbing Doom for the movies. They should. But I think an MCU FF would be time better spent on other characters.
  • Options
    David_D said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

Sure. But in a world where they are having success launching new (to the general public) characters like GOTG and Ant-Man directly into their own features, and with so many other not yet tapped properties to turn to, why bother? Why spend the time basically doing crisis PR on the FF to change their reputation with audiences when you could be using that screen time to do something that has a fresher chance?

Sure, the FF had history with fans of Marvel Comics. But I feel like for the MCU to try to 'do them right' after these several failures would just look like pride. And, unlike launching so etching untapped, right away you are inviting comparisons, and showing that you have something to prove, you know what I mean?

I could see them grabbing Doom for the movies. They should. But I think an MCU FF would be time better spent on other characters.
    I'd still like to see a good FF movie in my lifetime. But I think they should do it just for the related characters and concepts. The Skrulls are in a Quicksilver like limbo right now and it'd be nice to have them wrapped up if they want to do the Kree-Skrull war or stuff with Captain Marvel or GoTG.

But I totally agree. The best thing to ever happen to Marvel was not having Spider-man or the X-men. They would have taken all the oxygen from the rest of the Marvel properties. Instead we got Iron Man and Thor and Cap. But the Marvel universe doesn't feel complete without the first family.
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

I feel like they're afraid people won't buy Doom as he's portrayed in the comics. Yet a villain like Loki, giant horns and all, went over amazingly well with audiences. Just get a good actor and embrace the Doctor Doom character for all that it is.

Captain America pulled off the Red Skull, who is just as over-the-top a villain as you can get.
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    From the outside looking in it seems the best version of FF was called the Incredibles
  • Options
    kiwijasekiwijase Posts: 451
    DAR said:

From the outside looking in it seems the best version of FF was called the Incredibles

I personally would love to see a computer animated Marvel Film.

• Options
    kiwijase said:

DAR said:

Big Hero 6?
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Tweeted, then deleted by the director of the movie.

Just read an interesting comment somewhere else. They wanted to know what other "heroes'" origin was based on something they did while being "under the influence" as is the case in this film. Interesting.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    edited August 2015
    Again, I didn't have interest in the movie since its initial announcement, and I'm most interested in seeing how it's reviewed compared to the movie from 10 yrs ago & MCU movies. I'm kinda sorry to hear it's getting eviscerated.

I'm curious if that sequel is still greenlit or if it's gone the way of the dodo...and Amazing Spider-man 3.

M
  • Options
    WetRats said:

I just read three words that have pushed me not only off the fence, but all the way across the yard.

Phillip.

Glass.

Score.

Nope. Sorry. I will not see this movie. Even for free.

Hey, come on now. It was a collaboration with Marco Beltrami!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55fBzllf9pg

• Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    This was a headline on my Yahoo news feed
    "'Fantastic Four' director swears he's not responsible for 'Fantastic Four' movie"
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    Darn, I was hoping it would at least be entertaining, but the reviews make it sound terrible, and with less action than even the 2005 version. I didn't think that was possible.

I'm not sure if something can be considered a spoiler if it's not in the movie, but just in case...

... I've read that the big money shot from one of the trailers of The Thing falling to earth without a parachute isn't even in the film. Why would you spend time and money on an effects shot like that and not even use it?
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Can we now retire the term "Cronenbergian body horror"?

Please?
  • Options
    kiwijasekiwijase Posts: 451
    DAR said:

kiwijase said:

DAR said:

Big Hero 6?
    Oh yeah. I keep forgetting that's a Marvel property.

• Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    WetRats said:

Please?

I think I've honestly seen that term used in about 3/4 of the reviews I've read.

I was wondering if it was just lazy writing, or if the studio was using it in their press releases to try and stir up interest. I feel like a lot of comic related sites just lift statements verbatim from what the publishers/studios send them.
  • Options
    chrisw said:

WetRats said:

Please?

I think I've honestly seen that term used in about 3/4 of the reviews I've read.

I was wondering if it was just lazy writing, or if the studio was using it in their press releases to try and stir up interest. I feel like a lot of comic related sites just lift statements verbatim from what the publishers/studios send them.
    It's like a FOX News Talking Point.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    edited August 2015
    chrisw said:

I feel like a lot of comic related sites just lift statements verbatim from what the publishers/studios send them.

It's more than a feeling. It's the quick and easy (and cheap!) way to dump out content.
  • Options

chrisw said:

I feel like a lot of comic related sites just lift statements verbatim from what the publishers/studios send them.

It's more than a feeling. It's the quick and easy (and cheap!) way to dump out content.
    And now Boston is playing in my head...
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    WetRats said:

chrisw said:

And now Boston is playing in my head...
    And for that I deeply aplologize. It it helps, it's in my head now too. Sigh...
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    This movie is getting the worst reviews I've ever seen
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    I'm kinda confused why they felt the need to reboot the series. I could see recasting everyone as it's been ten years since part 1. But I really don't think the world needs so many origin stories. The first one opened to, according to Box Office Mojo, what would be the equivelent of an $80 million weekend. That's pretty strong.

I know people didn't like part 2, but x Men 3 got horrid reviews too. They didn't just throw everything out, they just worked to re-tool the series and were rewarded.
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    Where are the forum reviews of this movie? Nobody went to a midnight showing of this? ☺️
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457

Where are the forum reviews of this movie? Nobody went to a midnight showing of this? ☺️

I think those people are still in therapy sessions to cope with what they saw.

"It's not your fault" - Sean MacGuire, Good Will Hunting

M
  • Options
    It was so bad. I'm an easy mark as I typically enjoy most movies I see, but this was absolutely horrible. It was worse than the Jessica Alba FF. The Dr Doom stuff? Frankly, it was embarrassing to watch. Caught a 2pm showing. Couldn't have been more than 15 people in the theater. FOX is going to take a bath on this thing.

The only upside? As a NY Giants fan, I loved that (SPOILER ALERT) ... Eli Manning was mentioned in the movie's opening line. :-)
  • Options
    chrisw said:

This is EXACTLY what happens. I can tell you from my years of working in media outlets that most journolists are lazy, whether they work for FOX or ABC or the local paper. They copy and paste the press release and go from there.

• Options
    Early box office has this struggling to make 30 million this weekend
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    DAR said:

Early box office has this struggling to make 30 million this weekend

I am stunned that it may make over 20. I predict the 2nd weekend dropoff is going to be spectacularly high.