Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Movie News: Fantastic Four Reboot. (And Marvel vs. Fox)

Comments

• Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    I wonder if they'll stay the course & continue with the planned sequel, or just pull the plug on that notion.

M
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    edited August 2015
    Matt said:

I wonder if they'll stay the course & continue with the planned sequel, or just pull the plug on that notion.

M

I am not sure if any studio exec will sign off on a a sequal anytime soon. Even if the budget is cut drastically for a sequal - say down to 65 to 75 million, that is still probably way more than the current film will make domestic. It will struggle to get to 50 million domestic. It may not make it much past 40 million if the 2nd weekend dropoff is as spectacular as I think it will be.
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    @Matt

Did any of the CGS crew go see this?
  • Options

Matt said:

M

I am not sure if any studio exec will sign off on a a sequal anytime soon. Even if the budget is cut drastically for a sequal - say down to 65 to 75 million, that is still probably way more than the current film will make domestic. It will struggle to get to 50 million domestic. It may not make it much past 40 million if the 2nd weekend dropoff is as spectacular as I think it will be.
    For the last several months, there's been a sequel release date of June 9, 2017. I can't imagine they'll do that at this point.

M
  • Options

@Matt

Did any of the CGS crew go see this?

I don't believe anyone in the group went to see it. Aside from Kevin (who was mildly at best), no one was interested in seeing the movie.

M
  • Options
    spidspid Posts: 203
    edited August 2015
    I saw the movie and I thought 3/4ths of the movie was good. It delivered on what I thought they would do when I saw the teaser trailer that came out, I skipped the rest of the trailers afterward. My only problem was the ending. It seemed like someone told they had to tack on a superhero ending on their sci-fi horror movie. Until the point they shoe-horned that ending they had the makings of a really good film.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    spid said:

their sci-fi horror movie.

Personally, I don't want a Fantastic Four movie like that. Even if this thing was amazingly well done I wouldn't see a dark FF movie.

• Options
    spidspid Posts: 203
    Mr_Cosmic said:

spid said:

Personally, I don't want a Fantastic Four movie like that. Even if this thing was amazingly well done I wouldn't see a dark FF movie.

That's fine, but that is what the movie was going for. The problems with the movie have nothing really to do with the original premise. I would say the problem is when they made comprise to give a traditional take on the characters.

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Matt said:

Matt said:

M

For the last several months, there's been a sequel release date of June 9, 2017. I can't imagine they'll do that at this point.

M
    What a disservice to a Marvel property with such a rich history. I'm betting the studio green-lights a Deadpool sequel featuring Cable before they green-light a sequel to FF.
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980

Matt said:

Matt said:

M

M
    What a disservice to a Marvel property with such a rich history. I'm betting the studio green-lights a Deadpool sequel featuring Cable before they green-light a sequel to FF.
    I agree. I've read the dead pool movie has a budget of $30 million. So despite its R rating it seems pretty darn likely to be profitable. They could move the sequel into the 2017 slot too.

But, I think if I was in charge at Fox I'd still consider retooling FF, maybe even keep the same cast, and re-introduce them into whatever XMen movie comes after Apocalypse. Could also be a transition movie for XMen as they move out of the past and back into the present.
  • Options
    spid said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

spid said:

That's fine, but that is what the movie was going for.
    Yeah... and that was the basic problem with the movie right from the get-go. The film was working against the grain of the original comic's concepts.

• Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    @nweathington I would love an FF tv series! Expand the family dynamic. I would love to see it set in the past.
  • Options

@nweathington I would love an FF tv series! Expand the family dynamic. I would love to see it set in the past.

"Past" as in the 60s?

M
  • Options
    Set during the Mad Men era or the Hank Pym era?
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Matt said:

"Past" as in the 60s?

M
    Yes.

With a twist.

Kind of a Young Indiana Jones setup, with each episode being framed by old Uncle Johnny and a finally-cured Ben telling stories of the glory days to Reed & Sue's grandkids, and squabbling over the details while giving each other giant loads of crap.
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    edited August 2015
    Matt said:

"Past" as in the 60s?

M
    Yes. Or an ambigious era like Batman 1989. They are such a throwback old school team they should be sort of retro.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    WetRats said:

Kind of a Young Indiana Jones setup, with each episode being framed by old Uncle Johnny and a finally-cured Ben telling stories of the glory days to Reed & Sue's grandkids, and squabbling over the details while giving each other giant loads of crap.

WetRats said:

Matt said:

"Past" as in the 60s?

M
    Yes.

With a twist.

That’s gold, I tell you! Gold!
  • Options
    playdohsrepublicplaydohsrepublic Posts: 1,377
    edited August 2015
    I don't think there is a Marvel comic property that wouldn't work as a TV show, seeing how it'd be adapting one serialized format into another.

If Fox does go down the reboot route again, they should forgo the origin story. Also, because it's FF, I want to see a scene where the new Reed contacts Reeds from alternate dimensions and Ioan Gruffudd and Miles Teller are there. Those movies can just be hand waived as alternate realities. Plus it's a classic FF trope.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Matt said:

"Past" as in the 60s?

M
    Yes.

With a twist.

We would slowly discover, throgh little background bits of information in these sequences, that the "present" is quite a bit more fantastic than our own, as Reed's inventions have trickled out into the world.
  • Options
    If it was a 60s era series I'd more then likely pass. Even with the bumpers at the beginning & end, I don't like the idea of Parker-age FF. it's one of the reasons I have no interest in this movie. The Storm siblings are okay, but Grimm & Richards should already be in (at least) their 30s.

Plus, I'd like the notion that the series could fit into the MCU continuity. Having geriatric FF in contemporary time would kill that.

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

If it was a 60s era series I'd more then likely pass. Even with the bumpers at the beginning & end, I don't like the idea of Parker-age FF. it's one of the reasons I have no interest in this movie. The Storm siblings are okay, but Grimm & Richards should already be in (at least) their 30s.

Plus, I'd like the notion that the series could fit into the MCU continuity. Having geriatric FF in contemporary time would kill that.

M

At this point, I see no place or need for the FF in the MCU.

Are there any historical eras that do interest you, @Matt? For me, I find that most comic book characters work best in their original settings. I like the Reed & Ben who fought in WWII, and miss that aspect of their characters.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Matt said:

M

At this point, I see no place or need for the FF in the MCU.

Are there any historical eras that do interest you, @Matt? For me, I find that most comic book characters work best in their original settings. I like the Reed & Ben who fought in WWII, and miss that aspect of their characters.
    Sure; Agent Carter is the only network TV series I watch. Setting the show in the late 40s makes the most sense.

I also prefer to read the Shadow in the 30s. Any movie or TV series would be most preferred by me in that era.

As for Batman, Kent, Parker, etc, I prefer a contemporary setting.

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

M

I thought the recent attempt to set Parker in the current era was a disaster.

Darwyn Cooke's graphic novel adaptations set in the 1950s & 60s work so much better for me.

Oh wait... you mean Spider-Man!

Sometimes your ... idiosyncratic ... manner of referring to characters can be a bit confusing.
  • Options
    Matt said:

Sure; Agent Carter is the only network TV series I watch. Setting the show in the late 40s makes the most sense.

I also prefer to read the Shadow in the 30s. Any movie or TV series would be most preferred by me in that era.

M

So why do you find a 1960s Fantastic Four so unappealing?
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    WetRats said:

Matt said:

M

I thought the recent attempt to set Parker in the current era was a disaster.

Darwyn Cooke's graphic novel adaptations set in the 1950s & 60s work so much better for me.

To be fair the last Parker movie was based on 2 of the later Westlake books which were set in current era.

Also I'll 75% defend Mel's movie as decent action movie, but there's a reason Mel is called Porter and not Parker.

Ahh crap he was talking about Spiderman wasn't he?
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Matt said:

M

Putting Peggy in the modern era would seem...weird. Would she also have taken the Infinity Formula? Would it be awkward for Rogers to canoodle with both Peggy & Sharon?

I've read contemporary era Shadow stories, & they always seem to be missing something. Like Indiana Jones set in the 50s.

As for FF, I can already foresee a Wild Wild West/Sherlock Holmes/Steampunk situation where Richards inventions are more just modern tech but Dr. Brown-ed without the knowledge of the future.

Plus, the lingo & setting of these characters in the Golden Age just aren't appealing reads to me. Same with the Golden Age stories of DC characters. There are some great stories that are milestones, but I've been unable to read them because I find them difficult to read with enjoyment.

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

WetRats said:

Matt said:

M

Putting Peggy in the modern era would seem...weird. Would she also have taken the Infinity Formula? Would it be awkward for Rogers to canoodle with both Peggy & Sharon?

I've read contemporary era Shadow stories, & they always seem to be missing something. Like Indiana Jones set in the 50s.

As for FF, I can already foresee a Wild Wild West/Sherlock Holmes/Steampunk situation where Richards inventions are more just modern tech but Dr. Brown-ed without the knowledge of the future.

Plus, the lingo & setting of these characters in the Golden Age just aren't appealing reads to me. Same with the Golden Age stories of DC characters. There are some great stories that are milestones, but I've been unable to read them because I find them difficult to read with enjoyment.

M
    Understood.

Of course, the period in question is generally considered the "Silver Age" or the "Marvel Age", with "Golden Age" referring to the 30s and 40s.
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    edited August 2015

chrisw said:

I feel like a lot of comic related sites just lift statements verbatim from what the publishers/studios send them.

It's more than a feeling. It's the quick and easy (and cheap!) way to dump out content.
    I notice whenever a story I'm interested in hits my newsfeed reader at the same time. I'll find myself
    shroud68 said:

WetRats said:

Can we now retire the term "Cronenbergian body horror"?

Please?

I cannot speak to the topic of this thread as I have not seen Fantastic Four nor intend to but....

Cronenbergian body horror is a valid adjective. He may not have invented the genre but he certainly mastered the "artform". Watch his earlier films and that is the medium he is creating in. Actually watch the majority of his films and you will see body horror done right. His directorial signature is as strong enough to deserve an adjective. Say Spielberg, Hitchcock and Lean to name a few and you can picture what their films look like. Cronenberg is on that list at least in the sense of his identifiable style.

I actually find Spielbergian, Hitchcockian, and... Leanian?... is that even a word?... anyway, I actually find those overused, too. Okay, not Leanian, as I personally don't see a lot of references to him these days, but those first two are overdone.

Hitchcockian I kind of get, because it's almost a genre unto itelf, but Spielbergian - what makes a film that? I used to think average families caught in the middle of unusual circumstances, but that doesn't really apply to much of what he does these days.

And I feel like Cronenbergian is overused, as it's slapped onto anything that's A ) involving body parts and B ) gross.
  • Options
    Very interesting breakdown of everything removed from the film before it hit theaters. This really was a different movie than what was planned, shot, produced...

http://comicsalliance.com/fantastic-four-trailer-scenes-cut-from-movie/