Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Movie News: Fantastic Four Reboot. (And Marvel vs. Fox)

Comments

• Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Matt said:

WetRats said:

Matt said:

Much like with new TV shows, I'm not interested in getting invested in new characters. I'd rather put time into "new to me" characters.

I just don't understand why, with a plethora of established characters, completely new characters should get TV series or movies.

M

That is such an unusual distinction to make.

What makes a "new to you" character superior to a "new" character?
    "New to me" are characters previously existing. Aside from Parker & his supporting cast, I don't really know any of the Marvel characters. Watching the MCU are "new to me."

Marvel just making up brand new characters to make movies about instead of using what they have seems very strange to me. I can't imagine I'd be the only one who's say "why is this getting a movie instead of this list of characters who've been around for years?"

M
    Sure, around here and in other comic book fan circles I think there would be that question. But I think, to the general public, Guardians of the Galaxy might as well have been a brand new thing. They just thought it looked cool, and Marvel Studios now has a cache that it has earned. So, to me, I would be excited to be in the position of the general audience of showing up to a movie from Marvel and meeting characters for the first time.

• Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    David_D said:

Matt said:

David_D said:

Matt said:

WetRats said:

Matt said:

David_D said:

WetRats said:

David_D said:

Personally, and this is nothing against the FF specifically, but I would be more excited for the announcement of an MCU film that I can go into with the expectations of quality and brand loyalty that I have come to expect from Marvel Studios, but also with the question, "What will this be?" rather than the usual question of, "What are they going to do with this old thing I already know about?" You know what I mean?

Like Phil Coulson?
    Exactly-- though I think it would be cool, and an exciting risk, to not just have a supporting character who builds up an awareness across a number of films, but to actually have a film that is named after, and the origin of, a character or team we have never met before.

And, like Coulson (or Harley Quinn, to switch to animation and TV for a second), an original superhero or team developed and launched in the world of their films could end up back in the original MU of the comics as well.
    Much like with Agents of SHIELD, I'd bow out. I don't really want to see a new cast of characters that's injected into the MCU. That was always my problem with AoS. Sure Hill, Fury, & now some established characters are incorporated, but seeing the general line up of completely new characters didn't interest me.

I thought it would've been a bad decision, but when I heard there was a chance of a spinoff series focusing on Mockingbird, I was intrigued.

I'm all for what you're suggesting though, @David_D. It'll save me time & cash on this direction of movies.

M
    In all sincerity, I ask what is behind your disinterest in new characters?
    Much like with new TV shows, I'm not interested in getting invested in new characters. I'd rather put time into "new to me" characters.

I just don't understand why, with a plethora of established characters, completely new characters should get TV series or movies.

M
    Do you also hate newspapers? ;)
    Yes, I have google.

M
    But do you have a filter that makes sure it only gives you older results?

None of this news! I want the olds! ;)
    Normally, when I'm looking for new articles, they are the old ones. If they exist, they do pop up.

M
  • Options
    David_D said:

Matt said:

WetRats said:

Matt said:

M

"New to me" are characters previously existing. Aside from Parker & his supporting cast, I don't really know any of the Marvel characters. Watching the MCU are "new to me."

Marvel just making up brand new characters to make movies about instead of using what they have seems very strange to me. I can't imagine I'd be the only one who's say "why is this getting a movie instead of this list of characters who've been around for years?"

M
    Sure, around here and in other comic book fan circles I think there would be that question. But I think, to the general public, Guardians of the Galaxy might as well have been a brand new thing. They just thought it looked cool, and Marvel Studios now has a cache that it has earned. So, to me, I would be excited to be in the position of the general audience of showing up to a movie from Marvel and meeting characters for the first time.

I hope that's a very successful angle for MCU & enjoyed by the general populace...I just won't be on the ride. GotG could be essentially a be a brand new thing to the general audience, but even though I'm not familiar with the title, I knew it existed beforehand.

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

David_D said:

Matt said:

WetRats said:

Matt said:

M

M

I hope that's a very successful angle for MCU & enjoyed by the general populace...I just won't be on the ride. GotG could be essentially a be a brand new thing to the general audience, but even though I'm not familiar with the title, I knew it existed beforehand.

M
    Does this mean, even though you loved the Nolan Batman trilogy, you skipped Inception?
  • Options
    David_D said:

Matt said:

David_D said:

Matt said:

WetRats said:

Matt said:

M

M

M
    Does this mean, even though you loved the Nolan Batman trilogy, you skipped Inception?
    No, but that's because I didn't realize there was a chance Bullock was pursuing Cobb.

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

Like a Will Ferrll. Some people find him hilarious as the lead. For me, his best role has still been in Old School, where he had a supporting role.

A movie of his that I love, that isn't at all like so much of his other comedies, is Stranger Than Fiction.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967

Matt said:

Like a Will Ferrll. Some people find him hilarious as the lead. For me, his best role has still been in Old School, where he had a supporting role.

A movie of his that I love, that isn't at all like so much of his other comedies, is Stranger Than Fiction.
    Hmm. I totally missed that. I remember seeing an early trailer of it and thinking it was a less-er 'Adaptation' or some other Charlie Kaufman type of film. I should check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26FBhM_pjoc
  • Options
    Just watched FF. Enjoyed it. Thanks lowered expectations.

I saw some of the criticisms that I heard about prior, and since I've read very little of the comics I don't have that comparison to make. But I can draw a comparison with the previous two movies, but that doesn't affect my enjoyment, or even how good of a movie that I think it to be. It is weakest for the first half of the third act, as it gets confusing. Reed blurts out one or two lines that if I could comprehend better, they might clear things up, but I bet they don't.

I'm looking forward to hearing the director do his fourth part episode on Kevin Smith's Fatman on Batman.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    I can't stand Deadpool, but this was funny.

• Options
    Well, I'm guessing this means we aren't going to see a Fantastic Four comic series for a while longer than some people expected...
  • Options

Well, I'm guessing this means we aren't going to see a Fantastic Four comic series for a while longer than some people expected...

I think it has more to do with Secret Wars than Fox's FF. As Secret Wars has basically been an FF event, so whatever future or new status quo of Doom and the family are tied up in that.

Alonso has already said he can't talk about the future of FF until after SW is done.

So, I would say that-- given the delays on Secret Wars-- it is true that we won't see a title called Fantastic Four for a while longer than some people expected. But whatever business this Fox film did is neither here nor there. (Other than, if I am being cynical, I could guess that the timing of locking away the FF characters during Secret Wars gave Marvel a perfect wait and see to decide whether or not they wanted to cherry pick anything audiences actually liked in the FF movie to take into their comics; or whether to get the Classic Coke FF ready to return to comics)

Meanwhile, though, fans of Fantastic Four comics may want to check out the most heavily promoted and highest selling MU comic out right now. Because it is, basically, one big FF story. (At least, to judge by the first 5 issues)
  • Options
    JulienaeJulienae Posts: 23
    Here's Marv Wolfman's review via his FB page. Best part, "After a weird fight, I guess he dies or something..."

POSSIBLE SPOILERS AHEAD. IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN FANTASTIC FOUR (AND INTEND TO) DON'T READ THIS. Despite all the reviews, I went to see Fantastic Four yesterday, which seemed apropos since I just finished my appointment with my one of my Doctors, Doctor Doom. That's not a condemnation of her abilities, it's actually her real name. Anyway, I felt an obligation to see it, so after leaving Doctor Doom's office, I went to the movie expecting to utterly hate it, but I didn't. Least not all of it.
    REMINDER: SPOILERS AHEAD! Is it a good film? Not really, but parts of it are much better than I'd expected, or maybe it's my expectations had been lowered. I thought the first half of the film was actually quite good. Was it 100% the Fantastic Four comic? No. But it wasn't that far apart from the spirit of the first years. I didn't care that Sue had been adopted into the black family, nor did it bother me that she was pretty brilliant in her own right. After all, the FF was created back in 1960 and the sole female character's power was to turn invisible. Like most female characters back then in comics. If the book was created today she would have been a lot more than just the girl friend of the main hero. Even Stan and Jack realized it and soon gave Sue added force field powers.
    It also didn't bother me that instead of building a rocket and flying into space where, because Reed screwed up and didn't put up enough shielding everyone got totally different super-powers, in this version he opens a portal to another dimension where they get their powers. It's not like Reed had never opened interdimensional portals before (hello, Negative Zone).
    Still, despite the fact that these days a private rocket into space is not at all surprising, that change didn't actually change anything. Reed still invented something that got screwed up and gave his friends powers. The characterizations of Reed, Johnny, Sue and Ben also weren't that far off. There were still jabs at each other and you felt for Ben, and Reed was still insufferable. So all in all that first half of the movie was an interesting re-interpretation of the comic. Different but not substantially so.
    But the real problems come in the second half. Where the first half moves along fairly well and kept my interest, the second half makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. In point of fact, part of the problem is there is no third act. There's the first act, which is good, then the second act, which is senseless, then it ends. Until the credits ran I thought the end was going to lead into the final act. But no. It just ended with absolutely no real feeling that the story was over.
    SPOILER AGAIN. REALLY!: Characters don't act based on what was set up. After coming back to our dimension, Reed runs away... for a year. And he accomplishes nothing during that year. So what was he doing and why did he run. Also, why was it a year and not, say, a day? Or a week.
    It makes it look like Reed's a coward, and he is. Also, under Government control, Johnny and Ben become killers. Why? Nothing is accomplished because they kill. It doesn't alter them or the story in any significant way. They could have been taken by the Army and told they'd have to work with them and kill and they could have refused and it still would have worked out exactly as it did.
    Or they could have become killers and that changed them in some interesting way that would propel the story into very interesting and personal directions. But as I say, it has no effect on the characters or story.
    Also, where I had no problems with any minor changes to the FF, I did object to the changes in Doctor Doom (the villain, not the real Doctor). He's nasty, sure, but he's lost in that other dimension. Reed and company, thinking he's dead without checking, abandoned him there for a year, so it totally makes sense that when the FF go back to that dimension that he'd be angry and want to kill the people who left him behind. The FF are the guilty people. Doom is correctly angry.
    But then where this character had always spoken fairly normally until then, he begins spouting ridiculous 1960s comic book dialog Stan would never have used, and in retrospect he wrote some pretty wonky dialog back then. Then after a weird fight he, I guess, dies or something and the FF go back home and are now heroes.
    It's a real shame. The first half of the film shows a lot of promise. I liked the somewhat realistic approach taken. I like the characters. I have no problem with any of the changes. But the second half reads like I wrote it back in 1960 when I was all of 13 or so. The FF was my absolute favorite comic book back then. To me the first seventy to one hundred issues were the best and most innovative super-hero comics that may have ever been done. I'm not certain one can do a great movie adaptation of it; the underlying concepts are sort of weird if one thinks about it with 21st century taste, but it's a shame that this adaptation came so close for about 40 minutes then fell apart so badly.
  • Options
    When your movie bombs & fans have organized a petition, you know you've gone from the detention center & into the garbage shoot! https://www.change.org/p/everybody-group-people-make-fox-sell-the-rights-to-fantastic-four-back-to-marvel-studios

M
  • Options
    RickMRickM Posts: 407
    Wolfman's review was a breath of fresh air. He saw the good and the bad and made a case for his opinion. So much of the chatter has been at the level of "movie sucks/Fox sucks/I haven't seen it but I know it sucks" which is so fanboy-dumb it makes me crazy.
  • Options
    RickM said:

Wolfman's review was a breath of fresh air. He saw the good and the bad and made a case for his opinion. So much of the chatter has been at the level of "movie sucks/Fox sucks/I haven't seen it but I know it sucks" which is so fanboy-dumb it makes me crazy.

Like another story I've been following for the past 7 months, I never bought the narrative of the majority. Like the majority in that story, I haven't seen this FF movie (nor do I have an interest to do so).

On the face (of both stories), it's easy to see what you want to see. If you're a hater, it's easy to find things to continue that mindset. I'm sure when time is actually spent watching (or reading) & trying to remain objective, things aren't as bad as it looks.

I don't think the FF is nearly as bad a movie as it seems on websites, blogs, & forums. The real injustice is by those fanboys (& haters) railing something they haven't even taken the time to watch.

M
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792

I was actually thinking the opposite - that with the movie swiftly fading from view, and the consensus that it wasn't very good, we'd be seeing a relaunch of the classic FF with a new #1 by early next year.
  • Options
    JulienaeJulienae Posts: 23
    The new term around Hollywood is "Tranking" your career. Not so much for the terrible film, but for his petulant (and quickly deleted) pre-opening tweet. “A year ago, I had a fantastic version of this. And it would have received great reviews. You’ll probably never see. That’s reality though.” Hence, Tranking...
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Julienae said:

The new term around Hollywood is "Tranking" your career. Not so much for the terrible film, but for his petulant (and quickly deleted) pre-opening tweet. “A year ago, I had a fantastic version of this. And it would have received great reviews. You’ll probably never see. That’s reality though.” Hence, Tranking...

That’s a shame. It's not like he's the first director to disassociate himself from his own movie before its release. But I guess “Tranking” does have a nice ring to it. It has a bit of an onomatopoeia thing going for it.
  • Options
    RickM said:

Ding, ding, ding. Exactly what's been irritating me about this whole thing.
  • Options
    chrisw said:

I was actually thinking the opposite - that with the movie swiftly fading from view, and the consensus that it wasn't very good, we'd be seeing a relaunch of the classic FF with a new #1 by early next year.
    I'd like you to be right. Perhaps I've become a bit cynical.

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    RickM said:

Anyone else ever notice that when somebody says "fanboy" what they really mean is "fan whose opinion differs from mine"?
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792

Julienae said:

That’s a shame. It's not like he's the first director to disassociate himself from his own movie before its release. But I guess “Tranking” does have a nice ring to it. It has a bit of an onomatopoeia thing going for it.
    From the stories that are out there, he'd pretty much burned bridges before that tweet. He was removed from a Star Wars project months before that happened. I'm surprised he even bothered to delete it, since it sounds like he probably won't be working again for a major studio anytime soon, so what would he have to lose?

Although, it's out there anyway, so I suppose he can claim he tried to be responsible, have his cake and eat it too.
  • Options
    I've been all over the place with my thoughts about this movie. I was initially turned off by the whole Sue/Johnny casting as it struck me as pandering (Why not cast Reed or Ben as black? Why make it complicated? Alas, we beat that topic to death). In any event, I thought the trailers looked okay and had some slight interest in potentially seeing it. My 12 year old has recently developed a fondness for superhero movies and so when he started to show interest in it, my interest grew as well (you know ... a chance to do some dad stuff). I was let down when rumors about Doom being a blogger or whatever (which didn't turn out to be true), but as my little guy wanted to see it though, I was going to go.

As for the movie itself, the first half or so was, eh, "okay." The set-up was fine, I thought, the whole introduction of the characters, etc. Except (!) I really felt there was ZERO development of Ben Grimm's character. In the comics he's got (no pun intended) a rough exterior, but inside a heart of gold. What we got from Ben Grimm was, well, nothing. As Chris alluded to in his diatribe, there was also no bantering between he and Johnny though, which is really one of the defining aspects of the FF family dynamic. I did however think the best part of the movie when the were all confined to their cells (?) and Ben is yelling in agony for Reed. Thought that was very well done.

Once they returned from the Negative Zone is when things things really went downhill quick, imo. I thought Reed's stretching looked stupid and Dr. Doom was just absolutely ridiculous. I wonder if part of the problem was they tried to cram in an origin story for the heroes and the villain into the same film and to save time/money they merged them both together? Bad move. It cost them the movie in my opinion. It could have been a different film entirely for me if they had stayed somewhat true to Doom's origin.

Just my (additional) 2 cents worth.
  • Options
    RickMRickM Posts: 407
    WetRats said:

RickM said:

Anyone else ever notice that when somebody says "fanboy" what they really mean is "fan whose opinion differs from mine"?
    That observation makes no sense in light of my post.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

RickM said:

Sometimes, yes, but I find it quite often means “fan who can only see things one specific way and is completely close-minded when it comes to accepting other interpretations.”
  • Options
    RickM said:

WetRats said:

RickM said:

That observation makes no sense in light of my post.
    Your post dismissing the opinions of others as stupid chatter?

Much of what most people say everyday could be described as stupid chatter.

I think anyone who is a registered user on a comic book podcast internet forum should think long and hard before deriding others as "fanboys".
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    We are all fanboys in some way. Fanboy does not have to have a negative connotation.
  • Options

We are all fanboys in some way. Fanboy does not have to have a negative connotation.

Yes we are.

And yet is is almost always used in a dismissive manner.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    WetRats said:

Yes we are.

Apparently, so is the term "noob," I've learned.
  • Options

WetRats said:

Yes we are.

Apparently, so is the term "noob," I've learned.
    Well, yeah.

"Noob" is an inherently dismissive term. Just like its military predecessor "cherry" (or "greenie" in the old Sgt. Rock comics.)