Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Movie News: Fantastic Four Reboot. (And Marvel vs. Fox)

Comments

• Options
    i_am_scifii_am_scifi Posts: 784
    Matt said:

Here's hoping you're either joking about that last part, or your wife isn't a forum member.

Kind of. IF I just wanted sex outside my marriage, it's best just to get a hooker then risk having an affair.

We're expecting baby 2 in March, so I'm not looking to risk anything with my marriage through hookers or an affair.

And Megz isn't a forum member...but I tell her about that hooker notion all the time. That, and how I could kill her & get away with it*

M

* probably why she's reading my forensic books & watching Deadly Women on Investigation Discovery!
    Congrats on Baby Numero Dos, man!

And also congrats on knowing where to hide the bodies! :D
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    WetRats said:

Matt said:

WetRats said:

Matt said:

And Megz isn't a forum member...but I tell her about that hooker notion all the time. That, and how I could kill her & get away with it*

M

Not after making that post.

Evil plan foiled by monologuing.
    OR...enhances my endgame to get away with it! Chess, not checkers!

M
    Nope. Sorry. Screencapped. You're stuck with her now.
    Could your screen capture be leverage against me...or exactly what I want out there?!

M

Side bar: watch/read Gone Girl. Meg will confirm I predicted every single twist...because they were exactly what I would've done (1 of which, in theory as opposed to exactly the same).

M
  • Options

Matt said:

Here's hoping you're either joking about that last part, or your wife isn't a forum member.

Kind of. IF I just wanted sex outside my marriage, it's best just to get a hooker then risk having an affair.

We're expecting baby 2 in March, so I'm not looking to risk anything with my marriage through hookers or an affair.

M

* probably why she's reading my forensic books & watching Deadly Women on Investigation Discovery!
    Congrats on Baby Numero Dos, man!

And also congrats on knowing where to hide the bodies! :D
    Thanks.

And it's always best to spend extra time on the disposal because that's how they can really get ya!

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

WetRats said:

Matt said:

WetRats said:

Matt said:

M

M
    Could your screen capture be leverage against me...or exactly what I want out there?!

M

Side bar: watch/read Gone Girl. Meg will confirm I predicted every single twist...because they were exactly what I would've done (1 of which, in theory as opposed to exactly the same).

M
    From the point of view of you as the husband, or the wife, or both?
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    @Matt:

Had "Mutually Assured Destruction" in the wedding vows.
  • Options

Matt said:

WetRats said:

Matt said:

WetRats said:

Matt said:

M

M

M

M
    From the point of view of you as the husband, or the wife, or both?
    The wife. Though I figured out the husband's little (and extremely sexy) secret as well.

M
  • Options
    David_D said:

@Matt:

Had "Mutually Assured Destruction" in the wedding vows.

http://youtu.be/YjrGsNTxrUQ

M
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Can anyone find the Jack Kirby elements in this incarnation of the Fantastic Four? I'm fine with no Stan Lee cameo, but this movie probably couldve used the spirit of Kirby instead of Cronenberg.
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    8 million 2nd weekend - close to a 69% drop. Not as bad as I thought. I was thinking it would be 75%. Still awful though. 41.9 domestic total.

I image a dvd/netflix release will be coming very soon.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    There is a good rant from Chris on the movie on the most recent CGS preview episode
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586

There is a good rant from Chris on the movie on the most recent CGS preview episode

I now have to listen to it.
  • Options
    Got a chance to see it for free and wish I hadn't. It was like a cheap horror show. No heart, no hope, wildly uneven special effects, little to no character development, and did I mention how dark the whole thing is? There is nothing left of Jack Kirby's creation in this embarrassment of a film. This is not my Fantastic Four. this is not even THE Fantastic Four. It seems to loathe the source material and has no heart whatsoever. Nearly every relationship feels forced and awkward, and the only one that seems at all authentic is Johnny and his dad, Franklin, which is negative and is also dark. Even the coda seemed like an outtake after a rushed 3rd act, or was it only two acts total?

Masters of the Universe was more enjoyable, believable, and well-produced. Overall, ranks slightly better than Catwoman, and certainly Roger Corman's production, but I feel like this film was the wrong tone. It seemed much more in the asthetic of the recent DC movies than the MCU. There are some interesting ideas in here, but I can't help but feel that even if FOX had let Trank produce his vision for this story that it would be any less dour, shallow, and creepy. This should have never been released, or maybe just on SyFy. Content Warning: This film is NOT for children or the squeamish.

Bonus observation: So it would appear that Tim Blake Nelson gets to star in two of the worst performing Marvel movies since the MCU began.

Just my opinion.

• Options
    According to this article, the original script, by Jeremy Slater, had a lot more Kirby influence and even included Galactus.

FOX instead wanted this movie done cheap and fast. Too bad. This script still doesn't have Doom right, but it sounds much closer to something cool.
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    Matt said:

WetRats said:

Matt said:

David_D said:

Matt said:

Much like with G-Girl, Hancock, & the Incredibles, David Dunn doesn't exist in the MCU or DCCU. They are completely self-contained.

Now, if Unbreakable was released in 2021 & Dunn bumps into Jessica Jones & Cage at a football game, I would roll my eyes and wonder why this guy is getting his own movie instead of...Darkhawk.

That's my point. Darkhawk is "new to me" & I can pull back issues (or Wikipedia). David Dunn in the MCU has no pedigree.

M

Right. Dunn was a character with no pedigree or any history you could look up on Wikipedia prior to the movie. He didn't exist before Unbreakable. And the movie about him ended up being your favorite superhero movie.

Is there a reason why a studio that has successfully entertained you many times before could not, similarly, create a completely new character for a film, set in their shared universe, and similarly succeed in entertaining you? I honestly don't see the difference. I don't know why, just because they have access to a catalog of existing characters, they should, as the premiere universe of superhero movie making, be limited only to what has come before.
    Quick sidebar: I believe Unbreakable is the best movie in the superhero genre, but it's not my favorite in the genre.

It's the same with Agents of SHIELD (or new titles featuring a newly created character), I'm just not interested in getting invested.

There's a list of hurdles I'd have to go through to have an affair. One of them is I'm just not interested in putting the time in getting to know someone well enough to start a relationship.

M
    Sorry girls, he's busy.
    Crunching the numbers, it's just easier to get hookers.

M
    Well. This is turning dark
  • Options
    FF made 3.65 million in its 3rd weekend. For comparison, Antman made 4.1 million in its 6th weekend.

FF has a 49.5 million domestic total.
  • Options
    RickMRickM Posts: 407
    Mr_Cosmic said:
    The author wants the next FF film, like the previous three, to feature Doctor Doom. Because as we all know, the legendary Lee-Kirby run featured Doom in all 102 issues. Ugh.

• Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited August 2015
    RickM said:

Mr_Cosmic said:
    The author wants the next FF film, like the previous three, to feature Doctor Doom. Because as we all know, the legendary Lee-Kirby run featured Doom in all 102 issues. Ugh.

Yeah, I agree, I don't need to see Doom in another movie anytime soon. Unfortunately that's because of the terrible job Hollywood has done with the character. The author is right in that Doom is arguably Marvel's greatest villain and we've yet to see that Doom on screen.
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    The FF films will be so much better when they unroot them from reality. There is nothing realistic about the FF. They tiptoed past a security guard to get on rocket ship with the scientist's non-scientist girlfriend and her kid brother. Embrace that. They have to some way make a what would be a campy 1960's B sci-fi movie and make it badass. I think they can do that.

What made Guardians great for me is how ungrounded from reality that movie was. The MCU firmly established Marvel Cosmic and gave us a walking tree, a talking raccoon, and Howard the Duck. All of these characters exist in the same universe with Daredevil! Daredevil! So I think a we can have room for a scientist who dabbles in the dark arts who decides he needs to wear a suit of armor instead of finding some lame way that he becomes metal. At least the second FF movie realized that just the wrong guy (and voice "How about a spin?") in the suit.

The next director, writer, and producers of the next FF film needs to pick up Brubaker's Books of Doom and use that as the Doom bible. That is a great way to get in the head of Doom and what motivates him. I wouldn't mind seeing the FF go up the Frightful Four and we find out later Doom is who helped equip them and he later fights them. So you get some new villains and Doom too.
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    If they ever attempt the FF again, I think they should hold Doom back for a film or two, build up to him. Maybe the first film can make mention of Reed's classmate suffering an accident, maybe even make it Reed's fault to tie it into his later experiment resulting in transforming his friends.

Kind of like what Iron Man did with the Mandarin, but without the bait and switch in the third film.

In the meantime, you've got the Skrulls, the Negative Zone, Silver Surfer, Galactus, Red Ghost and his Super Apes...

Okay, that last one was just to see if anyone was paying attention...
  • Options
    chrisw said:

If they ever attempt the FF again, I think they should hold Doom back for a film or two, build up to him. Maybe the first film can make mention of Reed's classmate suffering an accident, maybe even make it Reed's fault to tie it into his later experiment resulting in transforming his friends.

Kind of like what Iron Man did with the Mandarin, but without the bait and switch in the third film.

In the meantime, you've got the Skrulls, the Negative Zone, Silver Surfer, Galactus, Red Ghost and his Super Apes...

I could foresee having Von Doom in the first one, who doesn't really get scarred until the very end of the movie. Mid-credit scene is the metal faceplate being attached to his face. or maybe save that for the sequel. Build Von Doom up for a final movie in the trilogy when he becomes Dr. Doom.

M
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Matt said:

I could foresee having Von Doom in the first one, who doesn't really get scarred until the very end of the movie. Mid-credit scene is the metal faceplate being attached to his face. or maybe save that for the sequel. Build Von Doom up for a final movie in the trilogy when he becomes Dr. Doom.

M

I concur.

I liked Max Brooks' idea of really establishing Victor as a great guy and Reed's friend and colleague before him taking a heel turn after getting injured.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Marvel and Disney can handle a good lawsuit, maybe we could see a brief cameo in the origin portion of Doctor Strange movie?
    /sarc

Fans of both should definitely read this ogn:

• Options
    chrisw said:

As long as they eventually get to this scene

• Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    chrisw said:

I'd watch some Super Apes. Jamie D loved him some apes too!

• Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792

chrisw said:

I'd watch some Super Apes. Jamie D loved him some apes too!

I would too.

But I'm a realist. Unless FF is so popular that we get countless sequels and they start running out of ideas, I don't think we're going to see The Human Torch succumb to a baboon that can turn into an asbestos blanket.
  • Options
    Here's my pitch: the FF is already established. Reed Richards is performing experiments involving alternate realities, looking for new frontiers for them to explore. While searching these realities out he finds that some are being destroyed... Anihillated, if you will. And that the common thread is that these are all worlds where some variation of the FF exist, the miles teller universe, the Ioan Gruffudd universe, etc. Eventually he discovers the reason, an extra-dimensional hyper-intelligent creature known as Anihillus is destroying these worlds to prevent the birth of Reed and Sue's son, a being capable of creating new realities and is a direct threat to his power and master plan. At this point reed discovers sue is pregnant and that their world is next. After an extended romp through the multiverse and a battle waged over time and space, Reed seemingly sacrifices himself to save existence. Credits roll...

Cut to a gothic castle on top of a mountain. Ben is forced to remain outside while Sue, visibly pregnant now, and Johnny continue on as he tries to convince her that this is a terrible idea, but she knows this is the only way. In a throne room she stated that she knows Reed is still out there and begs for help. Cut to Close up of Doom on the throne, smash cut to black.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Matt said:

M

I concur.

I liked Max Brooks' idea of really establishing Victor as a great guy and Reed's friend and colleague before him taking a heel turn after getting injured.
    Thats cuz Doom is Lord Vader before that wimpy, whiney kid dabbled with the Dark Side.

Build up to the villain who views himself not a villain but more like Trump come to power..
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited August 2015
    The recently released cover to Secret Wars 9, sure to be Marvel's most promoted and ordered comic in December:

I wonder if they can make this into a new poster for Perlmutter's office as a holiday gift? To replace those old FF ones he supposedly took down ;)
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    Dr. Doom is about to get jacked up.

This might make me want to read this in trade