Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Movie News: Fantastic Four Reboot. (And Marvel vs. Fox)

Comments

• Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    David_D said:

The recently released cover to Secret Wars 9, sure to be Marvel's most promoted and ordered comic in December:

I wonder if they can make this into a new poster for Perlmutter's office as a holiday gift? To replace those old FF ones he supposedly took down ;)

This must be right before the FF are eliminated from Marvel.

M
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited August 2015
    Matt said:

David_D said:

The recently released cover to Secret Wars 9, sure to be Marvel's most promoted and ordered comic in December:

I wonder if they can make this into a new poster for Perlmutter's office as a holiday gift? To replace those old FF ones he supposedly took down ;)

M
    Of course. Because the best thing to do before ignoring a property is to give them a push in your big summer event. Lots of cover face time and story time. Build up heat for Doom, Reed, and Sue, remind us how cool they can be, and then, BAM, out of the spotlight they go!

Sounds like how Marvel likes to stick the landing and give their event stories those resounding and complete endings ;)

EDIT-- Also, in a recent solicit for the (All-New All-Different) Amazing Spider-Man #3 in November, Parker Industries buys and takes over the Baxter Building.

Because, another good way to forget that there was ever an FF, make us pay more attention to the Avengers instead, and make sure we don't expect them to come back in the All-New All-Different era is to keep their iconic headquarters around, waiting for them to clearly never return!

#Comics! :smiley:
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Matt said:

I think @Matt is just poking you @David_D

You've made it perfectly clear to everyone on the boards that you are incredibly skeptical of the existence of any anti-FF protocols at the Marvel/Disney offices.

Then again, maybe Matt's right? This SW#9 cover looks a bit like an homage to FF (vol 1) issue #200 where Doom was 'killed' and was missing for something like 45 issues. That's a 4 year hiatus. Could this be a harbinger of 'doom' for Reed? Maybe a long-term hiatus? I guess we'll see who gets 'bragging rights' when SW (finally) wraps.

• Options
    mphilmphil Posts: 448
    I watched Rise of the Silver Surfer today. It wasn't bad. Sure, Galactus was lame, but otherwise it was fine. As good as the Raimi Spider-Man films. I don't see what the hate is about.
  • Options
    edited September 2015

Matt said:

I think @Matt is just poking you @David_D

You've made it perfectly clear to everyone on the boards that you are incredibly skeptical of the existence of any anti-FF protocols at the Marvel/Disney offices.

Then again, maybe Matt's right? This SW#9 cover looks a bit like an homage to FF (vol 1) issue #200 where Doom was 'killed' and was missing for something like 45 issues. That's a 4 year hiatus. Could this be a harbinger of 'doom' for Reed? Maybe a long-term hiatus? I guess we'll see who gets 'bragging rights' when SW (finally) wraps.

Oh, I figured @Matt was being tongue in cheek. So I thought I would make use of the softball he was providing.

If we're speculating on what happens in the story of SW, then I definitely think that Reed, Sue, and Doom will "die" and that will be the "end" of the FF. Which, being Marvel, is a nearly contractual promise that they will be back. I've never suggested that the characters survive this event. Rather, I think the idea that this event is focusing on them to downplay or get rid of them makes no sense.

When Marvel publishing wants to downplay a characters or story ideas, they ignore and move on. They get us excited about the other toys while quietly hiding the others. We've seen that trick plenty of times.

If I were an FF fan, I would be more worried if the simply survived alongside a lot of other characters getting little to no screen time in SW, or if they been left out of the event entirely. (Or had merely been sacrificed to the inciting incident, like the New Warriors in Civil War).

But the fact that Doom and the FF will be the pivotal players in the climax of this event? Whatever else may be going on in Marvel Entertainment, this is publishing continuing to message out that these characters matter and have gravitas in the MU, despite a longtime lack of consistent sales. That they started this universe, and so that is why they are the key players at the "end".

And my guess is, after this blaze of glory, and a cooling off period, publishing will be positioned to take a shot at the sort of "I'd like to see what MARVEL would do with an FF movie" wish that we keep hearing. Only they'll do it in the comics, where they can do it.

And I think the continued spotlight on the FF and Doom in SW, as well as the temporary new teams for Ben and Johnny in the interim, is all part of that plan.

Simply put: If publishing had marching orders to make us forget about and not think or care about the FF this summer, then I think they did a poor job of it. Instead, they had a title on the stands to show off how THEY do Doom and Reed.

So if it is some kind of reaction to the Fox film, it is not a plan to bury and ignore it, rather, it is counter programming. It is saying: Here's how we do this these characters the Marvel way. And, like "killing" Cap right after Civil War (and the Brubaker/Epting series) got him serious heat. They leave you wanting more.
  • Options
    Or, the orders were simply to end the book and make the FF go away for a long while and it is plausible that Hickman is determined to make it a grand and spectacular exit for the last hurrah of the FF. writers these days have a bit more clout than they used to.

Whatever the actual story is, I'm expecting quite a finale.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    Wasn't Dr. Doom really dead right before Civil War? I remember him hitching a ride out of hell on Thor's hammer in the prelude to civil war FF issues.

It was 10 years ago so we can assume it's safe to talk about.
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    David_D said:

And my guess is, after this blaze of glory, and a cooling off period, publishing will be positioned to take a shot at the sort of "I'd like to see what MARVEL would do with an FF movie" wish that we keep hearing. Only they'll do it in the comics, where they can do it.

Or, they could even be waiting to see if they do get the rights back, which would certainly impact how they handle a relaunch. I wouldn't be surprised if there were some discussions already taking place. I know it seems unlikely, but I never thought we'd see Spider-Man in the MCU either, and those films didn't bomb nearly as hard as FF did.
  • Options

Or, the orders were simply to end the book and make the FF go away for a long while and it is plausible that Hickman is determined to make it a grand and spectacular exit for the last hurrah of the FF. writers these days have a bit more clout than they used to.

Whatever the actual story is, I'm expecting quite a finale.

If we're to believe Bleeding Cool and similar websites, supposedly the writing staff purposely lengthened the final story in FF to make it look like it was ending just to make way for Secret Wars, so that's possible.

I suppose one day, when people are no longer worried about keeping their jobs, we'll hear the real story. I doubt most will care by then, though.
  • Options
    why?

‘Fantastic Four 2′: Simon Kinberg “Really Focused” on the Sequel, Reuniting the Cast

http://collider.com/fantastic-four-2-sequel-simon-kinberg-focused-on-script-and-reuniting-cast/
  • Options
    Memo hasn't reached him yet I guess. Nothing to see here.
  • Options

I'd like to see Marvel focus on some characters that haven't had the silver screen treatment yet before returning to the poisoned well of the FF.

Maybe Moon Knight (Netflix), She-Hulk (Netflix), Nova (cinema), Namor (cinema), even a Ms. Marvel film would work. I'm not sure how they could get the first family into the established Marvel U at this point without going Ultimate universe style like this recent film incarnation did.

I would seriously forego my director's fee if someone would greenlight Kamala Khan (don't tell my agents I tweeted that).

— Lexi Alexander (@Lexialex) August 11, 2015

Lexi Alexander (director of Punisher: War Zone) would even direct a Kamala Khan film for free

Somebody claims that Marvel has another slate of Netflix shows

Moon Knight, Punisher, Deathlok, and Spider-Woman
  • Options

I'd like to see Marvel focus on some characters that haven't had the silver screen treatment yet before returning to the poisoned well of the FF.

Maybe Moon Knight (Netflix), She-Hulk (Netflix), Nova (cinema), Namor (cinema), even a Ms. Marvel film would work. I'm not sure how they could get the first family into the established Marvel U at this point without going Ultimate universe style like this recent film incarnation did.

I would seriously forego my director's fee if someone would greenlight Kamala Khan (don't tell my agents I tweeted that).

Lexi Alexander (director of Punisher: War Zone) would even direct a Kamala Khan film for free

Kevin & I were talking about how to do the Moon Knight for live action. We thought Spector's background could be streamlined by making him a former SHIELD agent. After Winter Soldier & SHIELD's collapse, he became a mercenary.

M
  • Options
    bamfbamf said:

why?

‘Fantastic Four 2′: Simon Kinberg “Really Focused” on the Sequel, Reuniting the Cast

http://collider.com/fantastic-four-2-sequel-simon-kinberg-focused-on-script-and-reuniting-cast/

To paraphrase a quote I once heard on Mystery Science Theater 3000:

"Aw, it's so cute, the way they're acting as if there's gong to be a sequel."
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Matt said:

Kevin & I were talking about how to do the Moon Knight for live action. We thought Spector's background could be streamlined by making him a former SHIELD agent. After Winter Soldier & SHIELD's collapse, he became a mercenary.

M

I love that idea. Ties it into the MCU (SHIELD) and his comics backstory (merc).
  • Options
    chrisw said:

bamfbamf said:

why?

To paraphrase a quote I once heard on Mystery Science Theater 3000:

"Aw, it's so cute, the way they're acting as if there's gong to be a sequel."
    FOX finally confirms, there will be no sequel
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    There was no confirmation. It was simply removed from their schedule. Fox has not confirmed if this means that there is no sequel to this disappointment of a movie. Odd though. From a worldwide standpoint, it did make it's money back. I'm surprised by that.
  • Options
    I took it as a tacit confirmation :)
  • Options
    jaydee74 said:

There was no confirmation. It was simply removed from their schedule. Fox has not confirmed if this means that there is no sequel to this disappointment of a movie. Odd though. From a worldwide standpoint, it did make it's money back. I'm surprised by that.

Man, I'm surprised as hell that it made its money back.
  • Options

jaydee74 said:

It probably didn't make its money back. When you figure that the movie theaters generally get 45% of every ticket sold and the studio around 55% (and the percentage breakdowns change from week to week of a movie's release), usually a movie has to recoup both it's budget and advertising/promotional costs. This can sometimes double the cost of production. These are just estimates, because it's not always clear how much money a studio really spends. They usually try to lose money to avoid making any back-end deal payments.

As a general rule, a movie has to make TWICE its production budget in world-wide box office receipts to start making money. This is why a movie such as Cowboys and Aliens, which cost 163 million and made 175 million worldwide, is considered a "flop."

Pretty good article about this process can be found here.
  • Options

jaydee74 said:

It probably didn't make its money back. When you figure that the movie theaters generally get 45% of every ticket sold and the studio around 55% (and the percentage breakdowns change from week to week of a movie's release), usually a movie has to recoup both it's budget and advertising/promotional costs. This can sometimes double the cost of production. These are just estimates, because it's not always clear how much money a studio really spends. They usually try to lose money to avoid making any back-end deal payments.

As a general rule, a movie has to make TWICE its production budget in world-wide box office receipts to start making money. This is why a movie such as Cowboys and Aliens, which cost 163 million and made 175 million worldwide, is considered a "flop."

Pretty good article about this process can be found here.
    Thanks!

• Options
    bamfbamfbamfbamf Posts: 718
    Honest Trailer - Fantastic Four (2015)

https://youtu.be/wkFEyZL9f_M
  • Options
    bamfbamf said:

Honest Trailer - Fantastic Four (2015)

https://youtu.be/wkFEyZL9f_M

"The movie about making this movie would be so much better than this movie..."
  • Options
    Ha, Crash test Doomy :p
  • Options
    Re: 'Marvel vs. Fox" update

In Marvel's clearly continuing efforts to downplay the X-brands, and hurt the success of Fox's movies... they announced that their 2016 X-Event will be The Apocalypse Wars.

So that will likely be coming out at the same time Fox releases a movie called X-Men: Apocalypse. I guess the new attack plan against Fox is to kill them with synergy.

And I imagine this event will be in space. Because in the comics all the mutants live in space now, right?

• Options
    F4 I'd available for rental on Amazon Video now. I haven't done it yet, but will be a fun hate watch.
  • Options
    David_D said:

In Marvel's clearly continuing efforts to downplay the X-brands, and hurt the success of Fox's movies... they announced that their 2016 X-Event will be The Apocalypse Wars.

So that will likely be coming out at the same time Fox releases a movie called X-Men: Apocalypse. I guess the new attack plan against Fox is to kill them with synergy.

And I imagine this event will be in space. Because in the comics all the mutants live in space now, right?

Damn Marvel, they fight dirty. They're practically pushing a wheelchaired person down the spiral steps of the Bunker Hill Monument!

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

David_D said:

Damn Marvel, they fight dirty. They're practically pushing a wheelchaired person down the spiral steps of the Bunker Hill Monument!

M
    Yes, it is interesting how a few weeks after the Fantastic Four movie bombed, Marvel and FOX were announcing the two would be co-producing not just one, but two new tv shows on FOX/FX. ‘Hellfire’ as well as ‘Legion’. This news, along with the recent merchandising push around Deadpool, seems to indicate a more amicable relationship between FOX and Marvel than they've demonstrated in recent history. I think there was very little, if any, merchandising going on for Days of Future Past.

Prior to the tv show announcements, and immediately after the FF movie bombed, there were several rumors that a deal had been reached for Marvel to be able to use the Fantastic Four in some way in the MCU, along with Doctor Doom, Galactus, et al. Of course both parties have since officially denied these rumors, in much the same way that Sony denied they were making any kind of deal with Marvel about them using Spider-Man, and we all see how that turned out.

I suspect that a deal has been reached that has eliminated the animosity between Marvel and FOX and everyone is starting to play nice again. I mean, just 3 weeks after the FF movie bombed, mean ol' Ike Perlmutter was relieved from his authority over the MCU, and rumor had it that he was the one bringing all the hate on FOX over the FF.

@David_D's cheeky comments not withstanding, sometimes rumors turn out to be entirely true. Others contain grains of truth; still others contain none at all. Plausible or implausible, truthful or false, when the public wants to understand but does not receive any official answers, there will be rumors - the black market of information. I think it's probably a safe bet that we aren't being officially told exactly what all the dirty laundry is, but the indications are positive for the future of these comic properties and their movie counterparts, and I am glad for that.

• Options
    And, as long as there is a profit for the Bleeding Cools of the world, there will be an incentive to spin and gin up rumors, whether there is much to them at all. Because in the gutter between speculation and fact is room for those who would click bait to try to find the best button-pushing theory to support.
  • Options
    David_D said:

And, as long as there is a profit for the Bleeding Cools of the world, there will be an incentive to spin and gin up rumors, whether there is much to them at all. Because in the gutter between speculation and fact is room for those who would click bait to try to find the best button-pushing theory to support.

Interesting take. I never mentioned BleedingCool or linked to them. In fact, I don't think they've said anything about this for some time. Besides, other than my stated suspicion, everything I said was factual. You're not disputing that are you @David_D? :)

Do you not believe that, in many instances, rumors in this industry have turned out to be true?