Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Board Game Thread

Comments

• Options
    HellsfireHellsfire Posts: 89
    So how's Star Trek: Fleet Captains? I'm tempted to pick it up but the price tag seems steep.
  • Options
    DryBonesDryBones Posts: 26
    So how's Star Trek: Fleet Captains? I'm tempted to pick it up but the price tag seems steep.
    I like it. There's exploration, combat, colony building, etc. You draw a fleet, choose a prebuilt deck to support it and head out into the galaxy It feels like playing a season of Trek. The componants are a little disappointing. The location cards are flimsy and I decided to take apart my ships' dials to do some sanding so they would spin better. Also the rule book is a hot mess. Visit boardgamegeek.com and download a cheat sheet. Despite that the more I think about Fleet Captains the more I want to play it again.
  • Options

I like it. There's exploration, combat, colony building, etc. You draw a fleet, choose a prebuilt deck to support it and head out into the galaxy It feels like playing a season of Trek. The componants are a little disappointing. The location cards are flimsy and I decided to take apart my ships' dials to do some sanding so they would spin better. Also the rule book is a hot mess. Visit boardgamegeek.com and download a cheat sheet. Despite that the more I think about Fleet Captains the more I want to play it again.
    I actually did end up picking it up. I enjoy it a lot. The major thing I hate is that the Heroclix are shit. I had to reglue one and a few of them are hard to turn. My biggest problem is that they're not painted. I'm going to try to paint them, which will be my first paint mini job so they'll probably come out horrible.

I think the rulebook was perfectly fine. The only thing missing is a glossary. I'm one of the few that like the location cards. They're easier to shuffle unlike Forbidden Island's tiles. The card's are weak though. I'm guessing they had to pay for so many licenses so they cut corners where they could.

Also, can't wait for the Romulan expansion. Would love to play a three on three game with my friends. Is it me or does cloaking suck? If it didn't require an action, it would be good.
  • Options
    Splurged out a couple of weeks ago & bought ticket to ride. Really enjoyable. I even got the app for iPhone to play on the go. It has local & internet multiplayer, which is cool if you done have anyone to play with. I think you can get it for ipad too. Does anyone know of any other board game apps to play on the move?
  • Options
    Splurged out a couple of weeks ago & bought ticket to ride. Really enjoyable. I even got the app for iPhone to play on the go. It has local & internet multiplayer, which is cool if you done have anyone to play with. I think you can get it for ipad too. Does anyone know of any other board game apps to play on the move?
    If you add me on Gamecenter (Deusface), I'll play Ticket to Ride. I just hope you have friends that will play also as two player sucks. And the notification system isn't good.

I play Ascension all the time on my iPod. Deck building games are so much better when you don't have to shuffle. I would say that that's THE game to get. Forbidden Island's on an iPad. Eradicate, which is basically Pandemic but with a zombie theme is also up. I wouldn't play it on a non-iPad device though. So hard to read. Summoner Wars just came out. It's free, but if you want to play online or with other factions, you have to shell out cash. It's not bad. I'm still new to it though. I also enjoy Poker Pals.

• Options
    DryBonesDryBones Posts: 26
    Hellsfire said:

Also, can't wait for the Romulan expansion. Would love to play a three on three game with my friends. Is it me or does cloaking suck? If it didn't require an action, it would be good.
    It looks DCBS is selling this for $33.00! That's so low I'm going e-mail for confirmation.
  • Options
    Great news for board game players when you are on your own. Ticket to ride europe is now at the app store with the Switzerland expansion. Time to start racking up those achievements.
  • Options
    I just wanted to say that I recently got my Sentinels of the Multiverse Kickstarter and it is awesome! It's a co-op card game featuring superheroes and villains. It's simple to learn too and each hero and villain have their own deck. Since this is a comic book forum, everyone should like it, or at least try it.
  • Options
    Given the well documented love for board games the geeks have espoused since the conception of the show, kinda surprised nobody has posted here since 2012, but that's not my concern.

I suggest a slight change in purpose to this thread, not just to talk about favorite games but also to discuss strategy with our friends here who've also played the same games.

EX: I've played the DC deck building game like 9 times in the past few days. I haven't won once despite changing tactics. What is a good strategy?

Also, another purpose could be to discuss the purpose of a card or item from a game. I don't have it with me right now, but there's this card in the 'Walking Dead' board game (the one based on the comic) that I can't figure out for the life of me what it means. So we just omit it every time we play. But there has to be a reason for it right?

That kind of stuff.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    I've started playing board games again this year, and one I have fallen in love with is Villages by fridgecrisis. It is a really fun and easy deckbuilding game.

Since I'm terrible at explaining games I've provided a link that does it for me.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    @CageNarleigh‌ - I haven't played the DC deck building game enough to form any strategies. The guys I've been playing with have been playing since it came out, I just started playing a few months ago and although they explained the game really well, they haven't been keen on teaching me the nuances of the game.

A few games I'm looking forward to but haven't played yet as some are kickstarters.

Shadows of Brimstone - A supernatul western dungeon crawl from Flying Frog

Dungeon Saga - Standard fantasy dungeon crawl game from Mantic

Warhammer 40000 Conquest - A non-collectible card game from Fantasy Flight

I was going to pick up Privateer Press' deck builders for Warmachine and Hordes, but when I see a game that runs $50 marked down to $14-$20 at almost every online game shop, that tells me it either hasn't been well received or just plan stinks.

• Options

Given the well documented love for board games the geeks have espoused since the conception of the show, kinda surprised nobody has posted here since 2012, but that's not my concern.

I suggest a slight change in purpose to this thread, not just to talk about favorite games but also to discuss strategy with our friends here who've also played the same games.

EX: I've played the DC deck building game like 9 times in the past few days. I haven't won once despite changing tactics. What is a good strategy?

Also, another purpose could be to discuss the purpose of a card or item from a game. I don't have it with me right now, but there's this card in the 'Walking Dead' board game (the one based on the comic) that I can't figure out for the life of me what it means. So we just omit it every time we play. But there has to be a reason for it right?

That kind of stuff.

A good strategy for the DC deck building game, and deck building games in general, is that you want the cards that will help you destroy/kill/banish/trash/whatever term they use your own stuff. It'll help you tighten your deck and you'll filter through it faster so you can get the good stuff a lot sooner. Also, in that game, I like getting the defense cards mainly because they're cantrips when they stop an attack.

Don't get The Walking Dead board game. I have played two of them and they are terrible. However, I heard the recently released Cryptozoic one is good, but I haven't played it so I can't comment on it.

If you want a good Walking Dead board game, I would get Dead of Winter. It captures the good parts of The Walking Dead and it's challenging yet simple enough to learn.

I've added a lot more board games since I last posted in this thread.
  • Options
    I've played one of the ones based on the TV show, they're AWFUL. I actually already own the Walking Dead board game based on the comics. With a few selective "house rules" types of modifications, it's actually quite fun. At least, I think so....

• Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    Amazon is running a pretty good sale on board games today.

I picked up 7 Wonders, Ticket to Ride, and a game called Zooloretto (It sounded like something my wife would like).
  • Options
    Just picked up Settlers of Catan. I'm really interested in board gaming right now, but I'm afraid the people I have available to play are going to be put off anything that has challenging rule books. Any suggestions of fun games where the rules are easy enough to explain but still present deep gameplay?
  • Options
    I should also add: "explain to people who have been drinking."
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    Carcassonne is pretty easy to pick up. It develops some complexity as expansions are added.

Catan is cool but the resource trading aspect may deteriorate as lubrication is added.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    edited December 2014
    Backing Rum & Bones on kickstarter, which has a Skullkickers expansion add-on.

• Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Not a geeky board game, but we sat round to a family game of Articulate last night. Great fun!
  • Options
    shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457
    My brother gave my kids King of New York a new version of King of Tokyo. It does not seem like an expansion because there is no evolutions but the kids liked it. He's a good uncle!
  • Options
    I got the DC Deck building Crisis Expansion pack. I'm SO used to the rules of the regular game, I can't comprehend the concept that VP's don't count.

SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN THIS TO ME!

@pants? @brydeemer?
  • Options
    Well, I guess there is no better time to get on the bus than now. My wife and I received Settlers of Catan from her brother. Now I know what we have been missing! One game in, and I am hooked. Bring on the expansions!
  • Options
    compsolut said:

Well, I guess there is no better time to get on the bus than now. My wife and I received Settlers of Catan from her brother. Now I know what we have been missing! One game in, and I am hooked. Bring on the expansions!

Haha, we played on Christmas for the first time and afterwards were already talking expansions also.
  • Options
    If there's one thing I learned about getting in the board game hobby, it's that you should be very careful about expansions. There are a lot of great games out there and I believe, one of the reasons that make them great is how simplistic those games are. A lot of games release expansions that water down the game and make them more complicated and fiddly.

Of course, there are good expansions. Those generally just introduce different scenarios, settings, characters, etc. Basically, same game play but more options. Rarely introduce new rules or mechanics.
  • Options
    @Hellsfire‌ that is true. While not a board game, Killer Bunnies is one of those games where the expansions tend to make the game a lot more hilarious.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited January 2015
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

Figure out what your hero (or villain if you've got the awesome new Forever Evil set) does best, and concentrate on cards that synergize with that.

Also, Defense Cards are always valuable, as are cards that let you destroy cards from your own deck, get rid of those starter cards as fast as you can.
  • Options

I got the DC Deck building Crisis Expansion pack. I'm SO used to the rules of the regular game, I can't comprehend the concept that VP's don't count.

SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN THIS TO ME!

@pants? @brydeemer?

The only thing that matters is defeating the villains.

It's co-op: all the heroes (players) win, or none of them do.
  • Options
    Regarding DC Deckbuilding games: If you're playing with 2-3 players (or more if you have expansions) try my The Brave and The Bold variant: Play with two heroes each, using the abilities of each as appropriate.

If you have enough Hero cards, try this: each player is dealt two cards, keep one, pass one to the player on your left, each player is dealt another card, keep two, pass one to the left, then keep two and discard one. This gives you some control of your pairing so you can get two heroes that synergize well together.
  • Options
    Thats a good idea my friend.

And we played Crisis the other day. Not sure I like it. Although I KNOW it'll take more than one play to figure out if I like it.

And we came up with a set of new rules for the main game. If anyone has an interest, let me know.

The IDEA is that I was getting sick of not having cool benefits to having a card that goes along with your hero. (IE: having Superman, having one of each of the Super-Powers in your deck, controlling the Fortress of Solitude as a location, having the "Man of Steel" card as well)

So we spent some time (my friends picking my brain for comic knowledge to come up with cool rules related to the types of powers and items in the comics) and came up with a cool list of card specific combination rules for effect both DURING play and after play when it comes to VP tabulation.