Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Board Game Thread

124»

Comments

• Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    I loved the final product of Exploding Kittens. That is how you make a kickstarter amazing.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    I'm going to order Machi Koro it seems like a game my wife will love.
    A game we play a good bit is Villages its a fun quick card game that was on kickstarter last year.
    @brack how long does it take to play a game of Colt Express?
  • Options
    shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457
    mwhitt80 said:

I'm going to order Machi Koro it seems like a game my wife will love.
    A game we play a good bit is Villages its a fun quick card game that was on kickstarter last year.

Machi Koro is a great game. My teen kids love it
  • Options
    BrackBrack Posts: 868
    edited August 2015
    mwhitt80 said:

Less than an hour, more than 30 minutes. It varies depending on the number of players and which journey cards you draw. And whether my mate Gary realises its his turn.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    A new game on the kickstarter from IDW Games Cat Tower
    Its a stacking game with cats.
  • Options
    WetRats said:
    Is Jon H ok wetrats? I know this was his game at shop, and he might have a weak heart after turning fifty (I heard that happens).
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    mwhitt80 said:

WetRats said:
    Is Jon H ok wetrats? I know this was his game at shop, and he might have a weak heart after turning fifty (I heard that happens).
    He's great. You can probably find him at The Rook and Pawn sometime.
  • Options
    I just wanted to make sure he didn't have a stroke or heart attack when he read the 5 rings news
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    WetRats said:
    Oh my... I hope my wallet can handle another game. I played L5R competitively for the first four or five years it was around. I doubt it will happen but I would really love to see FFG start from the beginning of the story or at least revisit that era of the game.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Greg said:

WetRats said:
    Oh my... I hope my wallet can handle another game. I played L5R competitively for the first four or five years it was around. I doubt it will happen but I would really love to see FFG start from the beginning of the story or at least revisit that era of the game.
    Living card games are much more wallet-friendly.
  • Options
    Finally got my hands on a copy of Spyfall after it being OOP for most of the second half of the year. A lot of fun, though we learnt that one of my friends has no poker face.

Also recently picked up Codenames (great game, spy theme feels tacked on) and the first Colt Express expansion (makes the outcomes closer, nice to have more journey cards).
  • Options
    The_PampThe_Pamp Posts: 11
    Last summer a buddy got me hooked on X-Wing Miniatures and since then I've been buying and playing anything I can get my hands on. If I had to pick a top 5 (minus X-Wing, since it's my absolute favorite and in a different class all together) I'd say:

Legendary: Marvel
    Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little Card Game
    Carcassonne
    Munchkin Marvel
    Ticket to Ride

Always looking for recommendations for new games.
  • Options
    Forgot all about this thread.

Since last posting we've been playing a lot of

Great Western Trail - A mix of deck building and rondel that's much easier to play that it might look at first glance.

Mechs Vs. Minions - Riot Games' luxurious League of Legends co-op spinoff. Each mission is a distinct puzzle to solve made harder by the random elements the game throws at you.

Rising Sun - The first big boardgame kickstarter I backed. Not managed to get all my friends to embrace the diplomacy and betrayal elements yet, which is probably why I keep kicking their asses. You have to balance executing your plan with scuppering everyone else's.

Scythe - More dudes on a map, but this time one which feels more like a cold war than wargame. While combat can happen usually you're only going to do it as a last resort or when you're boxed in.

Clank & Clank in Space - Dungeon bashes with a deck building mechanism. Clank in Space is a tighter game, but Clank is easier to teach.

Insider - a pocket sized social deduction game from Japan. Found it a lot easier to get to the table than Spyfall as it's less stressful to be the Insider in this game than the Spy in Spyfall. Have played this for hours on end at conventions.

Rhino Hero Super Battle - Kids' stacking game played mainly by adults. Eliminates the take-that aspect of the original for a more free form tower building game.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    The_Pamp said:

Last summer a buddy got me hooked on X-Wing Miniatures and since then I've been buying and playing anything I can get my hands on. If I had to pick a top 5 (minus X-Wing, since it's my absolute favorite and in a different class all together) I'd say:

Carcassonne
    Munchkin Marvel
    Ticket to Ride

We've been playing the heck out of Dominion recently. Between the people at the office, we have the main set and six of the expansions on hand to randomize the supply piles.

Have also played a few rounds of Betrayal at House on the Hill recently.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    The only game I've played recently is the Oregon Trail card game. It’s a cooperative game where, as with the computer game it’s based on, you rarely win. It’s for two to six players, but you really need five or six players to have a shot at making it to the end. It was fun the first couple of times, but the charm/nostalgia factor wears off pretty quickly. There’s just not much variation in the gameplay from game to game.
  • Options

The only game I've played recently is the Oregon Trail card game. It’s a cooperative game where, as with the computer game it’s based on, you rarely win. It’s for two to six players, but you really need five or six players to have a shot at making it to the end. It was fun the first couple of times, but the charm/nostalgia factor wears off pretty quickly. There’s just not much variation in the gameplay from game to game.

According to reviews, the recent Pioneer Days has a similar theme but attached to a good game and not something designed to prey on people's nostalgia.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Brack said:

According to reviews, the recent Pioneer Days has a similar theme but attached to a good game and not something designed to prey on people's nostalgia.
    The thing is, I only played the computer game once. I got it for the kids as a Christmas present because I thought it might be a funny game to play. And it was for a while. As an adaptation of a game from another medium, it did a great job being true to the source material. The problem, of course, is that the original game is pretty boring. On the plus side, it doesn’t take long to play, and it was a relatively cheap purchase made additionally cheap because I got it on sale.
  • Options
    The_PampThe_Pamp Posts: 11
    hauberk said:

The_Pamp said:

Carcassonne
    Munchkin Marvel
    Ticket to Ride

We've been playing the heck out of Dominion recently. Between the people at the office, we have the main set and six of the expansions on hand to randomize the supply piles.

I've been curious about both of those. Gonna check them out.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    The_Pamp said:

hauberk said:

The_Pamp said:

Carcassonne
    Munchkin Marvel
    Ticket to Ride

I've been curious about both of those. Gonna check them out.
    Dominion has a tremendous amount of potential for playing frequently with little repetition due to the sheer number of combinations of supply piles, even when using just the starter set. With the 7 sets that we currently have in rotation, We can go a very long time without seeing the same combinations of cards. I really need to break down and get a case to consolidate everything into one location - biggest issue right now is managing all of the boxes.

Only played Betrayal three times so far. Each time has been different and continues to be enjoyable.

We've also recently gotten Harry Potter Battle for Hogwarts. I'm liking that quite a bit as well, though we've only made it through Year Three so far. My family likes it quite a bit as well. Downside is that it's four player. Expansion offers a fifth character (Luna) but doesn't provide rules for expanding to five players. I need to mess with it a little more to see what playing 5 player does to game play and balance.
  • Options
    Finally played everything else I picked up at UK Games Expo last month.

Viticulture Essential Edition - Lucked out and found a stall that had found a case of this currently hard to find worker placement game (should be easier to find again later this year). Liked it more than The Village, probably need to play it and Champions of Midgard a few more times to decide which I like more. Definitely has the advantage of being a quicker game than CoM.

Warhammer Underworlds: Shadespire - The first Games Workshop product I've bought in at least 25 years! Small warbands fight over two hex boards for 3 rounds. Fast, uncomplicated and most importantly no tape measures needed.

There's a couple of things where they feel a little behind the times - an initiative roll mechanism that's since been improved in a FAQ and the models are still a little too aimed at the modelling crowd rather than the gaming crowd. And compared to Bandai model kits, Games Workshop's ease of assembly is still feels outdated.
  • Options
    Brack said:

Finally played everything else I picked up at UK Games Expo last month.

Viticulture Essential Edition - Lucked out and found a stall that had found a case of this currently hard to find worker placement game (should be easier to find again later this year). Liked it more than The Village, probably need to play it and Champions of Midgard a few more times to decide which I like more. Definitely has the advantage of being a quicker game than CoM.

Warhammer Underworlds: Shadespire - The first Games Workshop product I've bought in at least 25 years! Small warbands fight over two hex boards for 3 rounds. Fast, uncomplicated and most importantly no tape measures needed.

There's a couple of things where they feel a little behind the times - an initiative roll mechanism that's since been improved in a FAQ and the models are still a little too aimed at the modelling crowd rather than the gaming crowd. And compared to Bandai model kits, Games Workshop's ease of assembly is still feels outdated.

I picked up Shadespire as well. Really prefer the skirmish games over the big army games.
  • Options
    Games I have been playing of late!

ROOT - Asymmetrical game of cute woodland creatures (AND CATS!) tearing each other apart in a forest. Relatively short play time, beautiful art and trickiness of getting good with each faction is compelling. Loved it so much I got the Riverfolk expansion that adds war profiteer otters and religious lizards.

Tuscany Expansion for Viticulture - This year feels like I will mainly be getting expansion. This is a great one. Can't see me ever playing Viticulture with the regular board again.

Rails to the North for Great Western Trail - GWT might be my favourite game, and this expansion added another layer to the game (and in our initial play a lot more time). GWT tends to be a game that varies depending on who is playing, and this through a few wrenches in the plans of some of our players. And happily I benefited. :)

If it proves to always increase the playtime, I may pick and choose when to play with the expansion, but definitely want to give it some plays now I can see how to take advantage of the new delivery routes. (This probably means I am now guaranteed to lose badly).
  • Options
    Had a game night Saturday with a large group of my wife’s friends and friends of friends. I ended up playing Secret Hitler four times in a row due to poor timing of when other games going on broke up. Playing with adults, very fun. I was Hitler in back-to-back games—won one, lost one. Playing with kids, not much fun.
  • Options
    Got into the new and improved Necromunda and really dig it. Between work and school I had no time to paint so had my miniatures commissioned out for painting.
  • Options

My wife has started liking deck building games since she played the Harry Potter game.

She wants me to get either the marvel deck builder game or the DC game. Which one do you guys prefer?

• Options
    edited September 2019
    mwhitt80 said:

My wife has started liking deck building games since she played the Harry Potter game.

She wants me to get either the marvel deck builder game or the DC game. Which one do you guys prefer?

If you like the Harry Potter game, then Marvel Legendary or that new living card game from Fantasy Flight (Marvel Champions: The Card Game) is a better bet than the DC Deck Builder, as those are similarly narrative focused.
  • Options

Awesome thanks