Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Board Game Thread

Comments

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

And we came up with a set of new rules for the main game. If anyone has an interest, let me know.

Of COURSE I'm interested!
  • Options
    As soon as I get it transcribed from the written notepad I'll post it here. It's VERY preliminary and we've only played with it once. So there needs to be tweaks, but we enjoyed it.
  • Options
    CageNarleighCageNarleigh Posts: 729
    edited January 2015
    Ok @WetRats here are the rules we've come up with for the main DC Deck Building game. We're working on similar rules for the Heroes United Deck and for the Forever Evil Deck. We're also working later on rules for if you mix cards (for instance if you add the Kyle Rayner card and the Lantern Ring cards from the Heroes United Deck into the Main Deck. Etc.)

PLEASE understand these are basic ideas which we'll flesh out as we play with these rules to account for fairness. We realize the likelihood of these things happening IN GAME is rare, but that's the point.

Lastly, if anyone posts these rules anywhere else, please give due credit. I plan on submitting them to Cryptozoic.

IF YOU’RE PLAYING AS SUPERMAN:

DURING: If Fortress of Solitude is in play and you have Man of Steel in your hand, gain top two cards of the main deck

AFTER: If you have at least one of each Superman super powers (X-Ray Vision, Bulletproof, Super Strength and Heat Vision) then each one becomes 3 VPs.

IF YOU’RE PLAYING AS BATMAN:

DURING: If Arkham Asylum is in play and you have Robin in your hand, Batman villains cost 1 less to purchase. (Penguin, Bane, Scarecrow, Two-Face, Riddler, Clayface, Poison Ivy, Harley Quinn)

AFTER: If you have the Batcave in your deck and you have at least one of each Batman equipment, then each Bat equipment becomes worth 2 VPs. Add 2 VPs to the utility belt as well. (Bat Signal, Batmobile, The Cape and Cowl, Utility Belt) If you don’t get the Batcave, each Catwoman becomes 3 VPs

IF YOU’RE PLAYING AS THE FLASH:

DURING: If you have the Fastest Man Alive and either Kid Flash OF Super Speed in your hand, at any point during your turn: Play two cards from your foes discard piles, with a maximum of one super-villain.

AFTER: For each Gorilla Grodd in your deck, 5VPs.

IF YOU’RE PLAYING AS AQUAMAN:

DURING: If you have Aquamans Trident in your hand during an attack, it MAY be used as a defense card. In this case, Aquamans Trident becomes Bulletproof (Discard this card to avoid an attack. If you do, draw a card AND you may discard a card in your discard pile.)

AND/OR

If you have King of Atlantis and Aquamans Trident in your hand, gain the bottom card of the deck to your hand or to the top of your deck.

AFTER: For each Mera in your deck, 5vps.

IF YOU’RE PLAYING AS WONDER WOMAN:

DURING: If you have Lasso of Truth in your hand, you may keep it by Wonder Woman for one entire ROUND, then discard it. (Ongoing defense, one round)

AND/OR

If you have Princess Diana of Themyscria and Lasso of Truth in your hand, your foes look away and you may draw two weaknesses and distribute them into the decks of your choice (Same or different foes, at the bottom)

AFTER: For each Cheetah in your deck, 5VPs

IF YOU’RE PLAYING AS GREEN LANTERN:

DURING: If you have Power Ring in your hand, plus one power for each different colored card in play. (Cards in your hand + locations, etc.)

AND/OR

If you have the Watchtower in play and you have Emerald Knight in your hand, you may put him down as an ongoing card.

AFTER: For each Power Ring in your deck, 4 VPs.

IF YOU’RE PLAYING AS CYBORG:

DURING: If you have Titans Tower in play and you draw Blue Beetle, he becomes ongoing. Once you use his defense, discard him until you draw him again.

AND/OR

If you have Titans Tower in play and you draw High Tech Hero, choose a foe. You may “hack” their hand. Select a random card from their hand and replace it with a weakness. Then, your choice, use the card you selected or destroy it. If you use the card, return it to the owners discard pile.

AFTER: For each High Tech Hero in your deck, 4 VPs

GREEN ARROW HOUSE RULE: Ongoing: With every superhero character, if you have Green Arrow AND Green Arrows Bow in your hand, double their power.
  • Options
    That sure seems like adding a lot of complexity for very little payoff.

Most of the cards that are associated with a particular hero will already work especially well in their deck, so most of the benefit you're looking to add is already there.

If you don't mind a suggestion of a simpler way of getting a similar result, try discounting cards from the lineup that contain either the hero's name or image.
  • Options
    Discounting in terms of reducing the cost by 2 or something like that?
  • Options
    edited March 2015

Discounting in terms of reducing the cost by 2 or something like that?

Yep. A discount of 1 might well be enough. The game is pretty well-balanced already, especially the later sets.

This will also encourage defensive play, as other players clog their decks with less-than-optimal cards, just to keep them away from their opponents.
  • Options
    The more I think about it, one point should be plenty.

A one point cost difference is huge in the early stage of the game, two points could give a lucky Superman player with a handful of punches Super Strength on turn one, at which point, he'll take his first supervillain on turn three or four.
  • Options
    I'm a fan of games, but most of the time, I can't justify the price for the amount of times I actually get to play.

As a result, I've become mostly a "Deck & Dice" kinda guy - emphasizing in games that are portable and don't require a lot of set-up.

Zombie Dice, Munchkin Loot Letter, Fluxx, (to a lesser extent) Qwirkle... games of that sort.

I also avoid collectible card games, because the recovering comic archivist in me would spend way too much on rare cards. Besides, I tend to question the "fairness" of a game when one players purchased cards can so decimate another's in a game. I like to start on equal footing.

I'm always on the lookout for great new games of this kind to play. Anyone have any favorites/recommendations?
  • Options

I'm a fan of games, but most of the time, I can't justify the price for the amount of times I actually get to play.

As a result, I've become mostly a "Deck & Dice" kinda guy - emphasizing in games that are portable and don't require a lot of set-up.

Zombie Dice, Munchkin Loot Letter, Fluxx, (to a lesser extent) Qwirkle... games of that sort.

I also avoid collectible card games, because the recovering comic archivist in me would spend way too much on rare cards. Besides, I tend to question the "fairness" of a game when one players purchased cards can so decimate another's in a game. I like to start on equal footing.

I'm always on the lookout for great new games of this kind to play. Anyone have any favorites/recommendations?

Try Kittens in a Blender.

It's a fun, clever little game, with a lot of appeal for "non-traditional" gamers.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131

In a game where it seemed I couldn't catch a break and had 8 wounds in my deck, I somehow defeated Magneto and ended up with +31 victory points. Thanks, X-men United Cyclops for the +16 attack! My first time playing the Marvel Legendary game. It was fun, but I think the set up and the clean up may hinder the desire to play it often. My wife and son got tired of it half way through as it seemed as though we just kept getting pounded. I think I prefer the DC Deck Building game over this, but I still had fun.
  • Options
    I got to play Xia: Legends of a Drift System yesterday.

Very fun, very impressive big box game.

Boardwalk (Greenville, SC game store) sold three out of four copies as soon as they opened their doors Sunday, and the fourth within an couple hours.

Big, sprawling, sandbox spaceship game, loads of fun, many different ways to win, very replayable.

• Options
    Family and I are dipping our toes into the 'non traditional' board/card game pool. Just played our first game of Munchkin (Our 9 year old kicked our butts). Small World is on deck for this weekend. We're hooked on Cards Against Humanity. Not sure what will be next? Ticket To Ride? King of Tokyo? Tsuro? Finding lots of interesting games on the 'Table Top' videos.
  • Options
    shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457
    edited January 2015

Family and I are dipping our toes into the 'non traditional' board/card game pool. Just played our first game of Munchkin (Our 9 year old kicked our butts). Small World is on deck for this weekend. We're hooked on Cards Against Humanity. Not sure what will be next? Ticket To Ride? King of Tokyo? Tsuro? Finding lots of interesting games on the 'Table Top' videos.

Second referral for King of Tokyo by me. Great game for kids and has great re-play value.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    I got to play XIA again yesterday.

I may be biased because I've won both time, but I really like the game.

It moves along very fast once everybody has played before, too. I'd say it took us less than half the time to play this week.

Extra dice make a world of difference, too.
  • Options
    I also played Sentinels of the Multiverse.

We tried out all three of the new heroes.

They're really cool.

I continue to be amazed at how much variety is available within this game.

Brilliant design.
  • Options
    OK.

Wizards of the Coast just impressed me.

The first official splatbook for 5th Edition, featuring five new races and a whole mess of spells was just released as a free pdf.
  • Options
    DC Deckbuilder news.

The first "Crossover Pack": Justice Society of America comes out 3/25.

Seven hero cards, eight Supervillains, 10 main deck cards. No price mentioned, I'd guess $15 or so.

The preview art shows Pre-New52 versions of the characters!

The next two Crossover Packs will be Teen Titans and Legion of Superheroes.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    WetRats said:

OK.

The first official splatbook for 5th Edition, featuring five new races and a whole mess of spells was just released as a free pdf.

Agree. Seeing free and Wizards in the same sentence hits me the same way as seeing free and Games Workshop together.

@WetRats - How is fifth edition anyways? As with all new editions I've been resistant.
  • Options
    Greg said:

WetRats said:

OK.

Agree. Seeing free and Wizards in the same sentence hits me the same way as seeing free and Games Workshop together.

@WetRats - How is fifth edition anyways? As with all new editions I've been resistant.
    It's pretty good.

They managed to retain the mechanical solidity of 4th, while returning to the flavor and DM flexibility of 1st/2nd. There also seems to be a determination to avoid the rules/options bloat that plagued 3rd.

Wizards has repeatedly said that any rules expansions or errata will be presented as options, while the three basic books will remain standard through the life of the edition. This free release seems to confirm that intent.

Also, the core D&D staff has been cut to the bone, and products like miniatures, game accessories and even adventures are being farmed/licensed out.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    One of the most subtle differences between 4th and 5th is that in 4th you picked your class, then your race, in 5th, race comes first. It quietly pushes the idea that who you are is more important than what you do, as opposed to 4th edition's emphasis on balanced parties with the right mix of Strikers, Defenders, Controllers and the horribly-named Leaders. The addition of Backgrounds as a core mechanic, as opposed to an option, reinforces this approach.
  • Options
    So, back in January I posted that my wife and I had just discovered the 'new' era of board games. And, we're hooked! I've pretty much eliminated comic buying from my budget, and am now exclusively buying board games in it's place. We've quickly build a sizable collection and play almost daily. Here's our current top 10... (Bear in mind that unless we can corral my son into playing, we play almost exclusively 2 player, which can impact the mechanics of a game - or make some completely unplayable).

10. Smash Up (Plus all expansions)
    I love the idea behind this game, as well as the strange combinations of decks you can come up with. But, it doesn't play 'great' with 2 players. And, my wife and I often find ourselves arguing over lack of clarity in the wording of certain cards. Emphasize a different word in a sentence, and you can find that a card does something entirely different than what you expected it to do.

9. Small World (Plus the majority of faction expansions)
    I'm hooked on this territory controlling game. My wife is not. This is one that I think I could win her over with more players, and more options. Love the artwork. Love the random pairings of powers and factions. The replayability of this game is almost endless, once you add in the terrain pack for MORE random options.

8. Forbidden Desert
    A wonderful step forward from Forbidden Island. A cooperative game in which you need to locate and excavate parts of a steampunk airship while a desert storm and relentless sun bears down on you. It's very daunting to see PILES of 'sand' on your game board, knowing you have to somehow manage to get it all gone - and then you find that your lack of water was your real enemy all along...

7. The Castles of Mad King Ludwig
    A very new addition to our collection. First playthrough was last night, and we loved it. My wife's education is in interior design, so she took to this castle floor plan building game like a duck to water. She also found many of the point scoring combos much easier than I, and easily kicked my butt...

6. DC Comics Deck Building Game
    We tried Dominion. I thought the deck building/engine building mechanic was amazing and fun... but we were really bored with the theme. Replace duchys and provinces with Green Lantern and Flash? Yes, please! No expansions on this yet, as we've still got several playthroughs with the basic game yet to go...

5. Dead of Winter
    Winter time in the zombie apocalypse. And it is BLEAK. No food. No supplies. Temperature dropping. The first scenario we played just consisted of staying alive for a mere FIVE turns. And, we failed. The 'winning' aspect of this game is strange. You have a main scenario that you are trying to win. Plus, you have an individual goal to achieve. Plus, you MIGHT be a betrayer who is out to screw over the whole colony for individual gain. At the end of the game, you might find that you have succeeded in some aspects, but not all. PLAYING this game is fun. Finishing it, we have found to be less than fulfilling.

4. Five Tribes
    SO much going on with this game while you are playing. Lots of moving parts to keep track of, but it never seems to be overwhelming. And, come the final turns of the game, you're still not totally sure who's winning. I could easily see this eventually becoming our favorite game, once we get more comfortable with it.

3. King of Tokyo Plus 2 expansions
    You guys were right about this one. AWESOME game. Probably my son's favorite of everything we've played. Definitely get the expansions, as they allow you to actually purchase powers that are customized for each Kaiju, instead of everyone having the same random selection of powers that don't allow for much differentiation.

2. Ticket to Ride Plus 2 expansions
    This should be considered a gateway drug to 'new' board gaming. We play this, probably more often than any other game. We've also introduced our friends to this on several occasions and we know of at least one couple who immediately purchased their own copy. Simple game, easy to learn. Lots of fun.

1. Pandemic Plus the 'On the Brink' expansion
    We absolutely love this game. So much tension while you play, and when you WIN you feel like you really achieved something. Adding in an expansion gave us more cards and options, so we change out bonuses and add in new difficulties with each play - giving us a different game experience every time. Nothing like feeling that you're in control and in a 'good spot' in the game, only to turn over a couple of Epidemic cards and find that you're only moments away from a complete loss within a few turns. I think this is the only game we've played that my wife and I will sit and stare at the board AFTER the game, trying to second guess what we SHOULD have done - or celebrate things we DIDN'T do that turned out to be fortunate. This is a MUST for any gamer's collection.
  • Options
    @jkkeller914: Take a look at the Batman vs. Joker set for DC Deckbuilding.

It's a really clever two-player variant.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    So I forgot about this kickstarter until today, and this seems to be the best place to post it.
    The Titan Series - 9 games designed by 9 different people, delivered 3 times a year over three years.

Here's the designer list:
    • Peggy Brown: Buzzword, Backseat Drawing, Qbitz, and many more!
    • Rob Daviau: Betrayal at House on the Hill, Heroscape, Risk Legacy, Axis and Allies: Pacific, and many more!
    • Mike Elliott: Dice Masters, Quarriors!, Thunderstone, Battle Spirits, Duel Masters, and many more!
    • James Ernest: Kill Doctor Lucky, Lords of Vegas, Lord of the Fries, Pairs, Unexploded Cow, and many more!
    • Matt Forbeck: Marvel Heroes Battle Dice, Brave New World, Descent: Journeys in the Dark Quest Compendium, Space Hulk: Genestealer, Monster Rancher, and many more!
    • Richard Garfield: Magic:The Gathering, King of Tokyo, Netrunner, RoboRally, The Great Dalmuti, and many more!
    • Seth Johnson: HeroClix, Golem Arcana, Double Double Dominoes, and many more!
    • Eric Lang: XCOM: The Board Game, Quarriors!, Marvel Dice Masters, Kaosball, Warhammer 40,000: Conquest, and many more!
    • Mike Mulvihill: BattleTech, Shadowrun, Pirates of the Spanish Main, Golem Arcana, Mage Knight Dungeons, and many more!
    • Paul Peterson: Guillotine, Smash Up, Pairs, and many more!
    • Mike Selinker: Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Axis & Allies, Betrayal at House on the Hill, Lords of Vegas, Maze of Games, and many more!
    • Jordan Weisman: BattleTech, MechWarrior, HeroClix, Shadowrun, Golem Arcana, Mage Knight, Tsuro of the Seas, and many more!
    • Zach Weisman: Golem Arcana, Got ‘Em!, and more!

That's an impressive list.
  • Options
    There is a board game cafe/bar opening soon in Athens, GA, and I spent 8 hours Saturday helping punch out chits for approximately 500 games.

I'm still having Smallworld flashbacks...
  • Options
    Geez. Who is opening it?
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

Geez. Who is opening it?

A really nice couple.

Here's the 'site.

Great location, too. Right across from the 40 Watt.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Well I have 2 games on kickstarter today
    The first is Monster Truck Mayhem it's pretty much what it sounds like a monster truck rally by dicehateme games. They've done some really fun really quick games on kickstarter.

The second game is the one I'm excited about though. Push It. This can best be described as tabletop bocce.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Did anyone go out to gencon or hear about any fun games from the convention?
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    I didn't and haven't, but I did get my Kickstarter copy of "Exploding Kittens" last Friday (which is a blast and a half to play!) and my Amazon Gold Deal of the Day from last Friday, Machi Koro, today.
  • Options
    BrackBrack Posts: 868
    Played a lot of Colt Express at an anime convention over the weekend. Already liked it, now love it. Such a laugh and it gets you lots of interested spectators when you play it in public.

And when I got home I was excited to see the Stagecoach and Horses expansion was announced at Gen Con and is out in October.