Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Best Trade/Hardcover/OGN you read this week

Comments

• Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    Torchsong said:

Just finished the first trade of Saga. Wow! Curse you, Brian K. Vaughn! You've suckered me in again! :)

He & Staples are the comic geniuses. Note his indie work w/ Marcos Martin "The Private Eye" issue #2 just came out today. Make a donation you think is fair for you & read & enjoy!

http://panelsyndicate.com/

Matthew

• Options
    KilmarockKilmarock Posts: 174
    Invaders Classic Vol. 1

I didn't love every story in this collection but the one that ends it had me grinning from eat to ear and ready for more. I referring to the 3-part story that ran in Invaders 7-9 and introduced Union Jack and Baron Blood.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Hawkeye vol1: My Life As A Weapon

Now I know why @Pants loves this book so much. And I'm totally with him... Bro.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    I'm in the middle of Lucy Knisley's Relish: My Life in the Kitchen right now, which is fantastic... a memoir based entirely around her experiences with food (her parents were cooks, caterers, and all-around foodies), complete with some amazing sounding recipes. It's hard enough to talk or write about food in a compelling way (which is why there are so many more good chefs than good food writers and TV hosts)... writing and drawing about food in a compelling way, that's something special. I'll really be surprised if this isn't my favorite OGN of the year, and it'll be a damn shame if she doesn't pick up at least an Eisner nomination (though preferably a win) for this.
  • Options
    I just read the first three trades of Mark Waid's Legion of Superheroes run and absolutely loved them. Can't believed I missed these stories the first time around. Just ordered the last three trades!
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Finally got around to reading the first Fatale trade that's been sitting on my shelf for I don't know how many months. I've never been much into horror of any kind, but between this and a few other titles, that is changing a bit.
  • Options
    The first two Fatale trades were so good that I had to switch to issues. Brubaker and Philips have been on fire with that series!
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    I've got a huge digital stack that doesn't seem to get any smaller every time there's a sale on ComiXology. Anyway, I blew through Kevin Smith and Phil Hester's Green Arrow run. I've been wanting to read it for some time, and while I noticed some common themes and plot devices, it was still a lot of fun. I began to look at all the stuff I've read by Smith and I don't think there's anything I've read that I don't like. For some reason that strikes me as weird. I'm currently in the middle of Locke & Key Vol. 3. (knocked out the first two volumes in a couple of days!). I've never been that into horror comics, but I love a book that has brilliant moments of creepiness, and this does it nearly every chapter.
  • Options
    JamieDJamieD Posts: 210
    Kilmarock said:

Invaders Classic Vol. 1

I didn't love every story in this collection but the one that ends it had me grinning from eat to ear and ready for more. I referring to the 3-part story that ran in Invaders 7-9 and introduced Union Jack and Baron Blood.

Those are truly the Awesome Sauce
  • Options
    JamieDJamieD Posts: 210
    Just finished the Adventure Time OGN by Danielle Corsetto, I got it because of Danielle and I will always support her, I have watched some of the cartoons and this GN really captures the flavor of the series quite well. I recommend it to fans and non fans of Adventure Time. Good is Good!
  • Options
    kgforcekgforce Posts: 326
    Just finished reading Justice League Beyond: Konstriction

I loved the artwork and the story. I have only a faint knowledge of the "Beyond" universe, so this was a pleasant surprise.
  • Options
    kfreemankfreeman Posts: 314
    Just finished Matt Kindt's Red Handed by 01: First Second. It's brilliant. His best work yet, and given how much I like Kindt, that is saying a lot.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    kfreeman said:

Just finished Matt Kindt's Red Handed by 01: First Second. It's brilliant. His best work yet, and given how much I like Kindt, that is saying a lot.

I read it on the plane to Denver last weekend, and while I agree it’s a very strong effort, I didn't think it was as good as 3 Story—or Mind Mgmt for that matter. But I do recommend it.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    X-Men God Loves, Man Kills OGN is a quality piece of fiction. It achieves the goal of pinning the X-Men & Magneto on one side & a nut nut crazy person going on a misguided crusade against people who are different than him on the other. The language is definitely not PC just calling it like it is w/ this story of Claremont's. The art by Brent Anderson upholds to the task of carrying out the overall vision leaps and bounds better than any standard monthly X-comic of the day. It read quick but it was focused on this concise agenda made you understand the problems that mutants face in the Marvel comics universe as clear as day. I give this 5 stars out of 5 stars perfection. It lives up to the hype.

Matthew
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Roots of the Swamp Thing. This trade comprises the complete Len Wein run of the original Swamp Thing series as well as Swampys debut in House of Secrets #92.

Man! This was such a fun read. They just don't make comics like this any more. These are all more it less one shot issue stories with an overlying arc of Swampys first outtings. From his origin, to tackling Anton Arcane for the first time, to fighting dino's in timey wimey issue. Each story was great on its own and the arc was even better. Personally I think it's easily up there with Moores run. Bernie Wrightsons art is timeless and Nestor Redondos few issues holds up too. If you haven't read Swampys start you really need this is great book.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    I know it's early in the week, but I doubt I'll read anything I'll enjoy more than Yehudi Mercado's Buffalo Speedway. A great 3 volume (yeah I'm cheating there, but they are small) story about pizza boys in Houston, Tx on the busiest pizza day of all time, June 17, 1994. As OJ rides with AC, the Rockets play game 5 of the NBA finals, and the World Cup is kicking off, the last independent pizza joint in Houston starts a top driver competition to help its struggling sales. Insanity reigns as pizza boys become pizza men.

Yehudi Mercado does animation and created Pantalones, Tx for Boomchaia. I bought Buffalo Speedway from his website a few weeks ago, and devoured the 3 volumes last night. I loved it, the characters were fun, the stories were really great, and I recommend it for a those who would enjoy a good non-supers title. The one thing I should mention, the art looks like it could be all ages, however the content is not for kids.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    Finished Vols. 1-5 of Locke & Key and loved it. It was creepy, it was touching, and I can't wait for the final volume. Jammed through Black Cherry and Ratfist, by Doug TenNapel, both a little different than what he normally does, but great nonetheless.

I'll be finishing Star Trek: TNG / Doctor Who "Assimilation2" probably tomorrow. Anyone else read this? Woodward's paintings are so great I literally read each character's word balloons with their actual voice. Such a fun series!
  • Options
    MangoIRLMangoIRL Posts: 6
    I am in the middle of reading Batman:The city of owls! It is amazing!
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    fredzilla said:

Finished Vols. 1-5 of Locke & Key and loved it. It was creepy, it was touching, and I can't wait for the final volume. Jammed through Black Cherry and Ratfist, by Doug TenNapel, both a little different than what he normally does, but great nonetheless.

I'll be finishing Star Trek: TNG / Doctor Who "Assimilation2" probably tomorrow. Anyone else read this? Woodward's paintings are so great I literally read each character's word balloons with their actual voice. Such a fun series!

I’ve been meaning to pick up Black Cherry. So many books, so little reading time.
  • Options
    Ok I lied yesterday, I have read something that is on par with the fun I had reading Buffalo Speedway, Rich Kowoslaki's The King. This is an interesting story of a burned out tabloid reporter assigned by Time Magazine to write an article on a Vegas singer who may or may not be Elvis. It explores faith and music and the power of belief in changing lives and saving souls.

If you have ever read Rich's Three Geeks you'll see a similar theme of friendship, loss, and ultimately hope. It's not silly like 3 Geeks; The King plays very straight. The King was really enjoyable and had very strong moments. I love Rich's work, and this did not let me down.
  • Options
    Currently reading the massive, chunky, pizza box styled Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Colour Collection. Loving it, it's not the best thing I have ever read but having grown up with the turtles and having loved them for so long reading the series from which the franchise mutated is a fantastically enlightening experience.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Hellblazer Original Sins

I think I had read the issues reprinted in here before. But didn't remember anything about them. WOW what a great series. Too bad it is canceled now.
  • Options
    kgforcekgforce Posts: 326
    Pacific Rim: Tales From Year Zero

Very nice presentation -- wraparound hard cover. I enjoyed it very much and I am anticipating seeing the movie next week.

BUT... seeing the cover price ($24.99) and the Comixology price ($19.99), I can't help but think of the fact that I will probably pay about $8 to see the movie and have about 2 hours of entertainment, compared with the 20 minutes of entertainment the book gave me. Seems so out of whack.
  • Options
    kfreemankfreeman Posts: 314
    Crater XV from Top Shelf. You should read this. Seriously. And read Far Arden while you are at it.
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    Superman: Secret Origins TPB by Geoff Johns & Gary Frank. There was no secret to it & it really did not break any new ground. It did however have elements from multiple versions of Superman wrapped up into a good story with fantastic art. It may now be my favorite Superman story.

• Options
    Marvel Zombies vs. Army of Darkness.

Fun read but nothing more beyond that. It only exists to have Ash kill zombie superheroes but has no problem with serving that part.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    I finished reading Fairest In All The Land HC OGN. It was a step in the right direction after reading the last Fables OGN involving Bigby & Werewolves. It was a murder mystery w/ Cinderella as both detective/spy in this tale that allows certain things to happen but soon put back into place but at a heavy cost to be paid. The variety of artists did a remarkable job of carrying the load like a relay race handing it off to the next to carry the torch and move forward w/ Willingham's stated goal -- tell a good story & in the process entertain all whose eyes are opened to the tales of Fabletown to see what lies ahead. I give this OGN a 4.5 stars out of 5 stars rating. For Mature readers only.

Matthew
  • Options
    Superman & Batman: Generations by John Byrne... just because I was in a Byrne state of mind today.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    Just finished up Chase. Picked it up for the JH Williams art and ended up really enjoying the character. Would have liked to have seen more.

Also just wrapped up the Kate Spencer: Manhunter trades. Yet another great title with terrific characters (including Chase). Also would have liked to have seen more. In particular, I loved the cobbled together costume (especially the Darkstar uniform)!
  • Options
    Torpedo vol 1 - Not for kids and very mature. It's a european album put out by IDW about hired killer in the mid 1930s named Torpedo (Luca something). The book is composed of 6-10 page "hits". The story is beautiful to look at, but the main character is neither simpathetic or likable. Torpedo reminded me a little of Judge Dredd if Dredd was a professional killer and not a cop. The stories were interesting and do not try to paint Luca as anything but a scumbag killer. As I mentioned above the art is incredible (especially if you are reading on an ipad type device and can blow it up)

I'm going to continue with vol 2 to see where it goes.