Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Ten More Titles of the New 52 on the Bubble?

GregGreg Posts: 1,946
http://www.newsarama.com/comics/new-52-titles-on-the-bubble-six-months.html

DC Universe Presents
Grifter
Voodoo
Captain Atom
Frankenstein, Agent of SHADE
Legion Lost
Fury of Firestorm
Resurrection Man

Comments

• Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    I'm surprised they haven't canceled Grifter Legion Lost and Firestorm already.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    No real surprises here.

These are all titles that were pretty iffy from the time they were announced.

If they all go, that'll be a 30% failure rate for the initial 52 titles.

Not bad, considering how skeptical I was at the get-go.
  • Options
    I definitely agree with Grifter. Why not just do a WildC.A.T.'s book, why the sepearte titles for Voodoo and Grifter? I think the team book may have gone over better than both of these combined.
  • Options
    I definitely agree with Grifter. Why not just do a WildC.A.T.'s book, why the sepearte titles for Voodoo and Grifter? I think the team book may have gone over better than both of these combined.
    Cynical answer: More royalties for Jim Lee?

Analytical answer: Perhaps the plan was to establish the characters as individual heroes before teaming them up?

• Options
    I can see that and if that were the case I imagine that it may now in jeapordy if Voodoo and Grifter get cancelled.
  • Options
    ZhurrieZhurrie Posts: 617
    My guess is that it will end up around 50% cut vs. kept, which is kind of high but to be expected I guess with this approach of tossing the spaghetti at the wall and seeing what sticks. I'm not surprised by any of those titles and thought there would be a few more. I wish they would stop trying to keep at the military books and drop a Deathblow book. I just read the new(ish) story from the 2011 Wildstorm Annual and it is just genius.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    ...I liked Voodoo.

Legion Lost was okay.
  • Options
    I'm enjoying Voodoo, can't say the same for Grifter which I dropped with issue #2 There is an upcoming issue with an appearance from Deathblow, that alone won't save it but maybe, hopefully it's a start to something better.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    To quote Monty Python "I'm not dead yet"

The numbers are low and we will probably see another reshuffling of titles around the year mark. I'm not sure what they would cycle out. but those are the top 10 suspects. DC might want to keep a few of the lower titles around in hopes that they can turn around.
  • Options
    JSA4meJSA4me Posts: 16
    Which titles of the NEW 52, or for that matter the entire realm of DC comics would folks like to see cancelled? And which ones were an improvement and why?
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    The only one of those books I was reading was Resurrection Man, which I will continue to buy until the eventual day it is cancelled. Hopefully they'll see the writing on the wall and move toward a conclusion for poor ol' Mitch. That'd be nice to see.

Legion Lost was good, but I thought it was a bit heavy-handed to throw out two Legion books at the same time, and I threw my lot in with the original Legion book.

I'm still in for the long haul on Aquaman, Demon Knights(*), Supergirl, Legion of Super Heroes (*) and Wonder Woman.

(*) Digitally, then picking up the trades.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    I'm not surprised by those. It's a shame but I'm not surprised.
  • Options
    Which titles of the NEW 52, or for that matter the entire realm of DC comics would folks like to see cancelled? And which ones were an improvement and why?
    I wouldn't like to see any cancelled, really. Mainly because while I don't enjoy some of it, I know others do. Who am I to scream "burn it"?

And yes, even you, David Finch's Dark Knight. Even you.
  • Options
    I wouldn't like to see any cancelled, really. Mainly because while I don't enjoy some of it, I know others do. Who am I to scream "burn it"?
    Yep. I don't understand the "If I don't like it, it shouldn't exist" attitude.

As Batman once said, "To each his own, said the lady as she kissed her cow."
  • Options
    ZhurrieZhurrie Posts: 617
    For me it isn't about personal taste and thinking it shouldn't exist... it is the fact that there is an artificial limit (for whatever reason valid or not) of 52 books, so it is about if there can only be 52 books I'd rather they be good or something that I do want to read out of the possible properties. If there were no limit I'd say keep em all unless they are money pits for DC. I would read the crap out of a Deathblow comic though but when things like Voodoo or Grifter or GI Combat take a slot that could be its then I'm all for sharpening the ax.
  • Options
    For me it isn't about personal taste and thinking it shouldn't exist... it is the fact that there is an artificial limit (for whatever reason valid or not) of 52 books, so it is about if there can only be 52 books I'd rather they be good or something that I do want to read out of the possible properties. If there were no limit I'd say keep em all unless they are money pits for DC. I would read the crap out of a Deathblow comic though but when things like Voodoo or Grifter or GI Combat take a slot that could be its then I'm all for sharpening the ax.
    Gotcha.
  • Options
    Those are all books I passed on, although I liked Grifter #1. I just saw the cover to #2 and thought, "nah."

I really like the idea of a DC Universe Presents kind of book, but I guess there's no real need for it when they can just to one-shots and miniseries whenever they want.

Until I get my gritty noir Wildcat series written by Frank Miller (restrained by an editor with a spine, of course) and drawn by John Romita Jr. (I can dream, can't I?), I will be unfulfilled anyway. Maybe one of these days I'll write it myself and send it in.

I have an amazing Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots movie idea, too. Seriously.
  • Options
    Being "on the bubble" sounds like a lot more fun than it actually is...
  • Options
    I really was hoping for an amazing one shot every month from DC Universe Presents.

I feel like it was a golden opportunity missed.
  • Options
    MiraclemetMiraclemet Posts: 258
    edited March 2012
    Frankenstein, Agent of SHADE ...this is a pity... the others *meh*

I wonder if they did one shots in the DCUPre title if they would do better than 1 shot that were not being presented under an known "brand" title.... or maybe they would do worse.
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Posts: 308
    I'll be really sad to see I, Vampire go, I was enjoying it's 'voice', and the art is interesting.
  • Options
    Right now this is all speculation. Best thing to do if you don't want to see any of these titles get cut is to spread the word about them and share the books if you got 'em to help them along.
  • Options
    OMAC gone.
    Frankenstein iffy.

if they take Demon Knights, then there is nothing left for me to collect from NuDC
  • Options
    DeFalco on Legion Lost wasn't a good sign. I like the series.

I am just glad Red Hood and the Outlaws is still going strong
  • Options
    DeFalco on Legion Lost wasn't a good sign. I like the series.
    His issue was the first one I liked.

But I was very biased against the series from the get-go. I've never liked it when the Legion gets sent back to our time.
  • Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    edited March 2012

I was going to say the exact same thing, but I thought about it some more and realized that I'm not going to buy 52 DC Universe books every month anyway. If money and time were not concerns, then yeah, I'd want all 52 of them to be good, but as it is now, if some of them are crap, that's fine. I just won't read the ones that I think are crap. Obviously somebody else doesn't think it's crap or it would sell 0 copies, so more power to them. And even in my mythical unlimited time and money scenario, I don't think it's even possible for them to sell 52 top-notch books every month. The only time I've ever seen any sort of line whether it be comics, movies, music, etc. put out all quality (even if one or two things were not to my taste, but were still quality) was when it was a small operation. If DC decided they were only going to put out 10 books a month, I'd sing a different tune. I'd want all of them to be top-notch. Again, if one or two of them were not to my taste, but I could tell there was some sort of quality to them, that's fine, but but anything with Rob Leifeld as writer (I'm not even going to get into art) should not exist in that scenario.

Edit - reading your post again, I guess my response doesn't really cover your wanting to see a Deathblow comic, which is a valid concern. I'm not sure if they would publish a Deathblow comic though even if they had no ceiling.
  • Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    Being "on the bubble" sounds like a lot more fun than it actually is...
    Depends what kind of bubble you're on.
  • Options
    JohnTiltonJohnTilton Posts: 113
    edited March 2012
    I was reading Voodoo, until Green Lantern showed up... that was stupid.

dropped resurrection man and grifter after issue 3

frankenstein i dropped when i heard lemire was leaving.

mainly I dropped all of these because of budget though, plus I've started to stray from getting single issues anymore, i used to get first issues of mostly all image books to resell on ebay in order to make a few bucks, but it just became too much of a hastle, and now that I'm getting pretty much everything through dcbs it doesn't work anymore. i've moved to getting the first issue digitally and deciding if I want the trade, single issues just don't have any oomph for me anymore, that is except for saga and the walking dead.

the other thing I was thinking is that DC is being pretty harsh on a lot of the books. they need to realize that with 52 books out each month in an already saturated market, a lot of the books are not going to sell as good as they want. I think they are kind of just alienating readers when they axe books that are selling, and most are selling better than a lot of the other books from dark horse and image. starting to prove that DC is too much into the business end and doesn't care about the storytelling aspect as much. the books are making money, if they make a little bit of profit and you aren't losing money, then keep the books. not every book will be batman. they need to cater a bit more to the fringe readers a little bit more imo, this is why I have moved back in large part back to image since DC started axing books like omac.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    http://www.newsarama.com/comics/new-52-titles-on-the-bubble-six-months.html

DC Universe Presents
    Grifter
    Voodoo
    Captain Atom
    Frankenstein, Agent of SHADE
    Legion Lost
    Fury of Firestorm
    Resurrection Man
    The only ones of those 10 I have any interest in are Frankenstein and Resurrection Man. But with both of them I am waiting on the trade to read them. I bet if DC Comics Presents had limited itself to 2 or 3 issue long storylines it might have lasted longer. I wish it had been a team up book like the old DC presents. It was DC presents,Marvel Team Up and Marvel 2 in 1 that helped introduce me to so many of the various heros and heroines of the big two univereses.

• Options
    Just realized Resurrection Man was up there.

Fitting that he dies another death after a brief life.

But he'll be back.