Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Selling Thread- PreEbay/Ebay/Etc.

Comments

• Options
    popestupopestu Posts: 782
    edited May 2015
  • Options
    I'll work with CGS folk to lower costs...ebay fees can be deducted.
    I am also willing to trade. Like all of us, I have a list.
    :)
  • Options
    Do people actually check this thread? I'd like advice on how to move comics on eBay. (Besides giving them away)
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Start off cheap and they will move. They never seem to sell for as much as you'd like.
  • Options

Start off cheap and they will move. They never seem to sell for as much as you'd like.

Auction or Fixed Price?

I have sold TPBs on Ebay previously. It's easy to figure out the trends with individual books. Lots are trickier. I feel people assume that if it's a lot, it must be uber cheap.
  • Options

And thanks for the advice
  • Options
    You can try auction with a reserve, but for some reason that dissuades some bidders. In the end, you have to decide what you'll take for it and let the market do what it does. Some lots I've sold only when it autorelisted the 3rd goround. If a title is hot, sometimes gambling on a .99 start will draw in a lot of interested parties. Great reward requires risk...
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    I check out the thread. I've even purchased from a user here. I always check out what the listing is. However, I usually don't bid unless the starting price is low enough. I know it's hard to start out at $0.99 for the bidding, but if you start at too high a price, no one's going to bite. For example, you're asking $30 for the Star Trek: The City on the Edge of Forever HC and the five original issues. The problem is, if I want to read the story, I could just hop over to Amazon and buy the HC for around $20. I suppose the only reason I would jump on this is because I want the original issues. But again, $30 is a little too high for that. Perhaps you could sell the individual issues as a lot and the HC by itself, or see if there's another way to sell them all together. You're also going to be hard pressed to sell something so recent unless there's a big demand for it.

And this is all coming from someone who doesn't sell a lot on eBay (I actually haven't in years), but this is how I buy and look.
  • Options
    That's right, I actually looked at the Star Trek HC myself, and it was considerably cheaper at Amazon. I'd split that lot.

Come to think of it, @fredzilla actually purchased a set of OHOTMU Essentials from me on eBay last year.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    fredzilla said:

I check out the thread. I've even purchased from a user here. I always check out what the listing is. However, I usually don't bid unless the starting price is low enough. I know it's hard to start out at $0.99 for the bidding, but if you start at too high a price, no one's going to bite. For example, you're asking $30 for the Star Trek: The City on the Edge of Forever HC and the five original issues. The problem is, if I want to read the story, I could just hop over to Amazon and buy the HC for around $20. I suppose the only reason I would jump on this is because I want the original issues. But again, $30 is a little too high for that. Perhaps you could sell the individual issues as a lot and the HC by itself, or see if there's another way to sell them all together. You're also going to be hard pressed to sell something so recent unless there's a big demand for it.

And this is all coming from someone who doesn't sell a lot on eBay (I actually haven't in years), but this is how I buy and look.

I check this thread out pretty regularly. I've thrown a few sheckles to forum members.
  • Options
    Thanks for the help. I'm going to have to lower prices. I am not trying to sell everything as individual or small lots. I'm trying to get rid of large chunks (i.e. lots that have several TPBs and 60 floppies).
  • Options
    phansfordphansford Posts: 221
    Two comments.

1) I sold a fair amount of my collection to forum members thru this thread. Thanks again to those friends….. I know my cherished books went to good homes.

2) Just looking at your prices… they're steep for new titles. Even if they book higher. The fact is that most people don't (or can't) shell out $150+ for comics. Smaller lots…. lower prices will move your books.

okay …. three comments…..

3) Books that didn't sell for me went to Mile High Comics. I was compensated very well. Even more than what I was asking at times. And they typically list the price they will pay.
    http://www.milehighcomics.com/buying/walkingdead-buying.html

Good Luck.
  • Options
    mike high is high on my list (you like what I did there...). I buy from them regularly (I have an order on the way) and having banked credit would be nice. How is shipping with them?
  • Options
    Regarding selling or trading here, his does it work? Do I post everything I'm parting with or post a link to some where else?

I would rather work with CGS folk.

I don't often participate on forums but I love reading and sharing here. (I haven't checked Facebook in 6 months but I'm here throughout each day) Add this to not dealing with eBay and their fees...its like my chocolate in someone's peanut butter.
  • Options
  • Options
    popestu said:

mike high is high on my list (you like what I did there...). I buy from them regularly (I have an order on the way) and having banked credit would be nice. How is shipping with them?

You pay to ship to them. You have to grade the books, then they will verify your grading. If they disagree, they will pay you for the grades they give the books. I never had a problem.

I noticed you didn't grade any of your books on ebay. That can be an issue for many buyers. If you have books you bought from Mile High, then you can compare their grading to your books. You have to be honest with yourself. Any little defect is an issue on Modern books. Most people will be more forgiving when they are grading older books. You can always scan a few of the books and email them to MHC and see if they agree with your grading.
  • Options
    I find this to be a pain to do. Not because I'm lazy, but because collectors disagree with gradings...especially if they want a discount. Also, CGC has made it even harder to "accurately grade" due to higher standards they maintain.

Any way, you are correct that grading helps with sales. When moving 50.book, it's time consuming to grade and take pix of everything.
  • Options
    Agreed. It is a pain. Generally, all my comic listings will be under-graded and come with the caveat "I am not a professional grader." Haven't had one returned, yet.
  • Options
    I had some of my books submitted to GCG after I sold them and the grades came back pretty much as I graded them. I scanned nearly all of my books (Silver Age stuff). If you want to sell the books…. you have to grade them. Its that simple.

http://thecomicforums.com/discussion/465/adventures-in-selling-my-comic-collection/p1
  • Options
    phansford said:

I had some of my books submitted to GCG after I sold them and the grades came back pretty much as I graded them. I scanned nearly all of my books (Silver Age stuff). If you want to sell the books…. you have to grade them. Its that simple.

http://thecomicforums.com/discussion/465/adventures-in-selling-my-comic-collection/p1

If you have plenty of time, that is the way to go. You will also pay $20 per book and wait a month or two, if you want CGC to grade them. You will certainly be able to sell the books at a premium, if they grade well enough. More on that here: http://www.cgccomics.com/services/Services.aspx

But if you're looking to move the books quickly, in chunks, eBay or Mile High is a MUCH quicker route, and with eBay the grading is really up to you.
  • Options
    gavigavi Posts: 41
    Would you consider posting the list of the lots here before ebay to see if there's anything a forum lurker (e.g. me) would be interested in?
  • Options

Agreed. It is a pain. Generally, all my comic listings will be under-graded and come with the caveat "I am not a professional grader." Haven't had one returned, yet.

Ha. I used to state that, also. Time to start doing it again.
  • Options
    gavi said:

Would you consider posting the list of the lots here before ebay to see if there's anything a forum lurker (e.g. me) would be interested in?

Sure. I can start doing that. I sell sporatically and in chunks. We have a 1 year old (the reason I need the extra room that the comics occupy) and my time is not my own. We also have another one on the way...time to move more of my comics.

Anything specific on you want list?
  • Options
    This Lot contains the following:

Avengers Volume 1:
    ·         Annual 15
    ·         Annual 16
    ·         Annual 17
    Avengers Volume 3:
    ·         0 (Wizard – Ultron Unlimited Prelude)
    ·         1 to 33 (includes Ultron Unlimited, 19-22)
    ·         36 to 53
    ·         Annual 1988
    West Coast Avengers Volume 1:
    ·         42 to 46
    ·         Annual 1
    Avengers West Coast Volume 1:
    ·         47 to 50
    Wonderman Volume 1:
    Dark Avengers (Dark Reign):
    New Avengers (2008)
    ·         Annual 2
    Avengers (2011) (Fear Itself):
    The Avengers 1 ½
    Secret Wars Preview

New York Bulletin Secret Wars Newspaper

Avengers Magazine #1 Free Movie Cover

The All New, All Different Avengers FCBD

This lot contains work from:
    Kurt Busiek, George Pe'rez, Brian Bendis, Gerry Ordway, Stuart Immonen, Steve Epting, Alan Davis, Yanick Paquette, Gerard Jones, Paul Ryan, Danny Fingerworth, Roy Thomas, Carlos Pachecro, Steve Englehart, Terry Austin, Jeff Johnson, Kieron Dwyer, Rick Remender, Mark Waid, Mahmud Asrar

If you search for Ultron Unlimited and review the Sold Listings, issues 19-22 + Prelude sold  anywhere from $25.00 to $50.00. Add the additional 80+ items to this and you see this is an excellent deal.

I am not a professional comics grader or comics seller. 
    My collection has been read and bagged/boarded. Some issues have minor spine rolls, or blunted corners, or spine creases.

I would consider them VF to F

The issues are bagged. Some bags have multiple issues in them, most do not have boards. This is to help keep your shipping costs down.
  • Options
    @gavi

Here is the link to my current listings. If you're interested, let me know.

And thanks .
  • Options
    gavigavi Posts: 41
    Do you have any Uncanny X-Men single issues? I can send you my list if that helps.
  • Options
    gavi said:

Do you have any Uncanny X-Men single issues? I can send you my list if that helps.

I do. They are of varying conditions. I stated collecting during Claremont's run and read the hell out of many of them (those were the days) until the early 90's.
    A list would help. I will have to figure out which box they are in...
    I'm happy to look and see. If I have anything you want, great. if not, that's ok, too.