Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Legion of Substitute Podcasters

PaulPaul Posts: 169
edited March 2012 in Other Comic Podcasts
The old forum may have gone to Shanghallah, but we can still talk here!

Comments

• Options
    aw yeah! Still catching up on the latest ep. here.

I blame Hazel. ;)
  • Options
    Just listened to the latest ep. Boy, the "Take A Drink" was in full force on that one!

And a new rule? Peculiar.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    I wonder if Dragonwing's sister & her Red Dragon pals want to dye themselves bright yellow and take over the moon?
  • Options
    CGerardCGerard Posts: 3
    Talk is cheap... oh wait this forum is free... so I'm good.
  • Options
    Comixology has a big 99 cent Legion sale this weekend! Get Adventure 247 for only 99 cents! How about the Great Darkness Saga for less than 5 bucks? I know I'll be digging in!
  • Options
    Awesome! I haven't read that yet and have been saving LoSP's ep for that.... This weekend got a wee bit busier.
  • Options
    I was hoping for some Legion of Super-Heroes in the 31st Century to be a part of this sale...
  • Options
    I was hoping for some Legion of Super-Heroes in the 31st Century to be a part of this sale...
    I ritualistically kick myself every week for not picking up every issue of that book.

At least I have the Arm Fall Off Boy issue.
  • Options
    I just read #290 and part of #291, on mobile, panel to panel.

Talk about dense!
  • Options
    And by dense, I think you mean awesome.
  • Options
    And by dense, I think you mean awesome.
    that deserves an "Awesome"
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    I ritualistically kick myself every week for not picking up every issue of that book.

At least I have the Arm Fall Off Boy issue.
    There's a few issues of that I still need to pick up, too. Like the cartoon, the book was very underrated and came & went too soon.

• Options
    Wow! I've been away too long... spiffy new CGS forums!

If anyone here would be interested in purchasing (make me an offer - I'm flexible) a very large run of the Vol. 4 LSH (Giffen/Bierbaum, 1989-94; issues 1-57, lacking only issues 5 and 33); a complete run of "Legionnaires" (Bierbaum/Abnett, 1993-2000, issues 1-81); and/or a complete run of "The Legion" (Abnett/Simone, 2001-04, issues 1-37), please let me know.

I would say all the books are in great condition. If I can answer any specific questions or give more details, let me know (I hope I designated the series correctly - I know Legion lore gets hairy sometimes!)

I guess you can reply here, or message me on Facebook. Thanks!
  • Options
    electric_mayhemelectric_mayhem Posts: 641
    edited April 2012
  • Options
    electric_mayhemelectric_mayhem Posts: 641
    edited April 2012
    edit... double post..
  • Options
    Episode 183 - The More You Know

The Subs take a look at the seventh issues of Legion Lost and Legion of Super Heroes. Tom DeFalco takes over as the regular writer on Legion Lost, while Levitz and Portela finish up their tale of 31st century China. All this and a Stump the Subs from Darren's arch-nemesis Murray Fox.
  • Options
    MurrayMurray Posts: 29
    Arch-nemesis? Does that mean I need to get some kind of costume together? Actually... Dreadlok has kind of a nineties retro feel to it. Fit me out with some pockets and shoulder pads (I'll pass on the knee pads, though) and a couple of power guns and I'll totally be there!
  • Options
    WildCardWildCard Posts: 1
    I've had a costume for years, never made it to the Legion try-outs. Mind you, the 1000 year time gap does pose a travel problem getting there....
  • Options
    Matthew_EMatthew_E Posts: 10
    Do you guys really think that we haven't seen much of the Fatal Five recently? I disagree strongly; I think they've been all over the place.

I forget what you said the cutoff was, but I think it was sometime around 2000. But since then:

- they were in "Legion Rookie Blues" in the DnA run
    - they were the Fatal Five Hundred in the story that ended the reboot
    - they appeared in the Brave and the Bold story with the threeboot Legion
    - they were in Final Crisis: Legion of 3 Worlds
    - they were in many episodes of the cartoon
    - they were in many issues of Legion of Super-Heroes in the 31st Century
    - they were in Star Trek/LSH, thinly disguised

That's actually a lot of appearances. More than one a year, averaged out. And I may even be forgetting some.

It's true that they haven't been used yet in LSHv6 or LSHv7, but that's not all that long a time, really. Especially since we have seen the Empress in that Annual with Giffen.

Really I think we've seen too much of them. They're excellent villains, but you don't want to overdo them.
  • Options
    They haven't been in a "real" Legion story, other than as part of the crowd in FC:Lo3W since before the first reboot.

Seems like plenty of time for me.
  • Options
    But every Legion story is a real Legion story.
  • Options
    But every Legion story is a real Legion story.
    Hence my quotation marks.

But my point is that this version of the Legion hasn't faced the Fatal Five since sometime before 1994.

I'm ready to see them.
  • Options
    This version of the Legion hasn't faced hardly anybody since sometime before 1994. The real problem is that the Legion doesn't have a very strong rogues' gallery, and it makes it all the more tempting to overexpose the worthwhile supervillains. I don't think that's a problem for the Fatal Five right now (I should have said "really I think we've seen too much of them _at times_"), but they certainly haven't been _under_exposed.
  • Options
    I completely disagree.

Overall, the Fatal Five have been used pretty sparingly, especially by Levitz, and when they have been used it's tended to be a pretty big deal.

Can you imagine no Lex Luthor in Superman for nearly 20 years? No Joker in Batman?

And besides, the examples you cite are from six different iterations of the Legion.

I'm ready to see them versus this Legion.

To me this will be the real Fatal Five versus the real Legion!

I can't wait to see yet another new Emerald Empress, or maybe somebody else in her spot. And what about Tharok? Seems like he was destroyed. Will he be back?
  • Options
    You're jumping around a little bit.

True, the Fatal Five weren't used much during Levitz's second run. Just once that I remember (as a group, anyway), in the Sensor Girl story. But I was talking more recently.

"No Lex Luthor in Superman for 20 years"? I don't get what you mean. There was no 20-year period in which the Legion didn't fight the Fatal Five. Unless you don't count comics in which your nostalgia button isn't being pressed. In which case you can't even say that there were Legion comics during those 20 years, can you? So it's kind of silly to complain about the Fatal Five not appearing in comics that weren't there. Especially when they _did_ appear in the comics that all the fake fans like me weren't pure enough to reject.

As I say, I have no complaints about the Fatal Five appearing now, if done well; I was just reacting to the part of the podcast where the boys said that we've hardly seen the F5 in recent years. When, make no mistake, we have.

My question is, why would someone (in-story) want to reform the Fatal Five? Who misses them? Who thinks they can control them? Maybe it has something to do with a Sun-Eater; that is, after all, why they were initially formed.

Or, no! Maybe it's the Dominators! That'd be just the kind of stupid thing the Dominators would do.
  • Options
    Especially when they _did_ appear in the comics that all the fake fans like me weren't pure enough to reject.
    Sorry it took so long to reply.

I had to sterilize my nostalgia button after so much interaction with someone as impure as yourself.

Sorry if my referring to the "real" Legion offends you so much, but the whole freaking point of bringing back the "real" Legion is to push the nostalgia buttons of people like me, whether or not we enjoyed the various intervening incarnations.

Since Levitz returned to the helm, I feel like I'm picking up on a twenty-plus-year-old story in such a way that it feels like both the twenty years and no time at all have passed.*

And I'm loving it.

And I'm not gonna apologize for loving it.

As good as many of the stories in the interregnum were, to me, there's The Legion and there's all those other legions.** And there's The Fatal Five, and there's all those other fatal fives. And I agree with "the boys" that it seems like a very long time indeed since I've seen The Fatal Five.

*Wibbly-wobbly!

**It didn't really feel that way while I was reading the various other legions, but as soon as Thom showed up in JSA, and I knew that the "real" Legion was coming back, all the other legions retroactively lost their Ls in my heart.
  • Options
    the whole freaking point of bringing back the "real" Legion is to push the nostalgia buttons of people like me
    Oh, I'm quite aware of it. I'm not sure there's a person on Earth more aware of it.
    And I'm loving it.

And I'm not gonna apologize for loving it.
    I'm glad you are. I just wish that you could love it because of how good it was and not because DC is being successful at pandering to you. (I don't mean to imply that you don't appreciate quality. I mean to imply that there's not enough quality here to justify your enthusiasm.)

I like it myself. (It is, after all, a Legion comic; hard to do a Legion comic I don't like.) It's decent in an unambitious way.

But I wonder if DC has decided that, when it comes to the Legion, quality is not as important as letting the fans pretend that they're still 12 years old. And if that is the lesson they learned, who taught it to them?
  • Options
    @Matthew_E: Again, I could not disagree more.

I think there's tons of quality in Levitz's Legion. The man knows how to craft and pace a tale.

And I don't feel pandered too, I feel rewarded for my loyalty through years of incredibly uneven ranges of quality.

And I'm not pretending I'm 12, I'm pretending I'm 25. Yes. I'm that old.
  • Options
    All right, well, there you are then; we're not going to talk each other away from these positions.
    I feel rewarded for my loyalty through years of incredibly uneven ranges of quality.
    If DC had come to me and said, "Matthew, we're sorry about inflicting the 5YL Legion, the DnA run, the first season of the cartoon, the Lemnos arc, and the Arm-Fall-Off Boy issue of LSH31C on you. It was wrong of us, we won't do it again, and we've learned our lesson. To make up for it all, as a reward for your years of loyalty, here's Earth-Man fighting a blue space baby. You're welcome!" I swear I would have bust out crying.
  • Options
    All right, well, there you are then; we're not going to talk each other away from these positions.
    I feel rewarded for my loyalty through years of incredibly uneven ranges of quality.
    If DC had come to me and said, "Matthew, we're sorry about inflicting the 5YL Legion, the DnA run, the first season of the cartoon, the Lemnos arc, and the Arm-Fall-Off Boy issue of LSH31C on you. It was wrong of us, we won't do it again, and we've learned our lesson. To make up for it all, as a reward for your years of loyalty, here's Earth-Man fighting a blue space baby. You're welcome!" I swear I would have bust out crying.
    I said uneven, I didn't say it was all bad..