Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Legion of Substitute Podcasters

Comments

• Options
    Matthew_EMatthew_E Posts: 10
    Very true. I'll fix it.
    If DC had come to me and said, "Matthew, we're sorry about inflicting "Legion on the Run", "Foundations", the second season of the cartoon, the last 10 issues of v5, and the Mars issue of LSH31C on you. It was wrong of us, we won't do it again, and we've learned our lesson. To make up for it all, as a reward for your years of loyalty, here's Earth-Man fighting a blue space baby. You're welcome!" I swear I would have bust out crying.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Oh well, have a nice cry. I've got a new issue of The Real Legion to enjoy!

• Options
    bats00bats00 Posts: 275
    Very true. I'll fix it.
    If DC had come to me and said, "Matthew, we're sorry about inflicting "Legion on the Run", "Foundations", the second season of the cartoon, the last 10 issues of v5, and the Mars issue of LSH31C on you. It was wrong of us, we won't do it again, and we've learned our lesson. To make up for it all, as a reward for your years of loyalty, here's Earth-Man fighting a blue space baby. You're welcome!" I swear I would have bust out crying.
    Ok, at least you revised it from 5YL to "Legion on the Run". I was ready to jump in and defend the 5YL Legion, but if you want to bag on "Legion on the Run" just, I'll help! :)

• Options
    PaulPaul Posts: 169
    I hear what you're saying, Matthew, but as the guy who called for the Fatal Five as unseen the loudest, I'll defend my stance. Yes, we have seen the Fatal Five a lot, but they've always seemed to be a rebooted Fatal Five, and that's something I've seen a ton of times. I've liked it all of those times, but what I want to see is a post Dark Man Tharok, a post Curse Validus etc. I want to see what those characters have grown into. To me, THAT was the hallmark of Levitz on the Legion. He moved things forward. While I agree that the movement has been slower over the last few years, I do love that he's building things, and I look forward to his being able to bring the ideas to fruition without being shouted down by something like a reboot.
    Do you guys really think that we haven't seen much of the Fatal Five recently? I disagree strongly; I think they've been all over the place.

I forget what you said the cutoff was, but I think it was sometime around 2000. But since then:

- they were in "Legion Rookie Blues" in the DnA run
    - they were the Fatal Five Hundred in the story that ended the reboot
    - they appeared in the Brave and the Bold story with the threeboot Legion
    - they were in Final Crisis: Legion of 3 Worlds
    - they were in many episodes of the cartoon
    - they were in many issues of Legion of Super-Heroes in the 31st Century
    - they were in Star Trek/LSH, thinly disguised

That's actually a lot of appearances. More than one a year, averaged out. And I may even be forgetting some.

It's true that they haven't been used yet in LSHv6 or LSHv7, but that's not all that long a time, really. Especially since we have seen the Empress in that Annual with Giffen.

Really I think we've seen too much of them. They're excellent villains, but you don't want to overdo them.
  • Options
    bats00: No, I loved the 5YL Legion. That was either the best run of Legion comics ever, or the DnA run was, or they were tied.

WetRats: I'm perfectly happy to have a comic about any version of the Legion. It's a little annoying the way the 5YL, reboot, and threeboot stuff has all been swept under the rug, apparently never to be mentioned again, but if I don't start none, there won't be none; fine. The only thing that really bugs me, on the rare occasions that it comes up, is the notion that I should never have liked those other versions of the Legion, ha ha what a joke that was, and I should be glad they're gone, and isn't everything so much better now. As Olaf said, "there is some s. I will not eat."

The problem is, all those other versions of the Legion were necessarily ambitious ones. Good or bad, they were all attempts to make the Legion work in a way that hadn't been tried before. Sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't, but it was always interesting to see what the creators were doing and why they succeeded and failed.

The current run is not ambitious at all. It's being accepted on the basis of nostalgia and Paul Levitz's name. It's a Legion comic that nobody will complain about. Well, I won't either! Much! It's a competent Legion comic. Levitz could elevate it by being more experimental in his techniques or storylines, something we've seen hints of but nothing more, but who knows if he cares to try?

It's all very depressing.

Paul: The one thing I most don't get is how there can be a Validus any more. Garth and Imra have Garridan back, right? So who's this Validus? I don't see any particular problems with Tharok, Mano, and the Persuader, not to mention Caress and Flare, but Levitz is going to have to put in some inspired work to make a new Emerald Empress as interesting as Sarya was.
  • Options
    Wait, they let you fellas on here?
    Sheesh!
  • Options
    awesome interviews, Matt! Well-done guys..

I do the "dooooooooooooooot.com" thing all the time. Amazing how Art and Franco seep into everyday conversation.
  • Options
    omega2550omega2550 Posts: 11

Hi guys:

Has anybody made the connection between Banshee of Marvel Comics & Tryoc of Legion Lost.
  • Options

I have sent you a set of STUMP THE SUB Questions. I hope you use them.
  • Options

I have sent you a set of STUMP THE SUB Questions. I hope you use them.
    You'll hear them, along with our annotations for Star Trek/Legion of Super Heroes in episode 186, posted today! http://www.legionofsubstitutepodcasters.com/
  • Options

I see those were a bit to easy for you guys. I have to dig a bit deeper for my next set of STUMP THE SUB questions
  • Options
    I hope I've said it before, but I'd just like to mention how much I appreciate all the mentions of Legion Abstract in your podcasts. Thanks.

You mentioned a possible LSH/Star Wars crossover. No reason it can't happen, of course, but let's face it: Star Trek is a much more natural partner for the Legion. For one thing, it takes place in an Earth-based future, not a long time ago in a galaxy far far away. For another, Star Trek is science fiction, like the Legion sometimes is, and Star Wars is fantasy. I think you'd have a hard time finding an idea as brilliant as Roberson's to tie the whole thing together.
  • Options
    MurrayMurray Posts: 29

You mentioned a possible LSH/Star Wars crossover. No reason it can't happen, of course, but let's face it: Star Trek is a much more natural partner for the Legion. For one thing, it takes place in an Earth-based future, not a long time ago in a galaxy far far away. For another, Star Trek is science fiction, like the Legion sometimes is, and Star Wars is fantasy. I think you'd have a hard time finding an idea as brilliant as Roberson's to tie the whole thing together.
    There are certainly some differences between Star Wars and Legion, but they both share a space opera feel. When I think of Star Wars I think of the relationships between the characters much more than any of the spaceships, laser guns or aliens - whereas when I think of Star Trek, I think of technology and stock characters. Just about anyone could be wearing those blue or yellow tunics... but I digress... totally don't want to start a Trek vs Wars war. :)
    Anyway... just as it's the characters and relationships that pulled me into Star Wars, it's the characters and their ongoing story that pulls me into Legion more often than not. Which doesn't mean that a mash-up of the two would be any easier, of course. But I'd be down for it.
  • Options

I have sent out a 2nd set of STUMP THE SUB questions
  • Options

Hi guys:

I was wondering how you got around copyright infringments. When you do a comic book reading on air.

Are you using something like the fair use rule or what??.

Reason I'm asking is because I love audiobooks and I love the novelization Graphicaudio does of some DC Titles.

But I also hear that most if not all system for blind people to have print material read back to them as audio. Doesn't seam to work at all.

So I was wondering how you guys are able to do it with all the LEGION you have done so far ??
  • Options

Curse you, You answered most of my qwuestions. I'll have to dig deeper ing to my Legion Archives
  • Options
    BooberBoober Posts: 1
    Just finished listening to the Star Trek/LSH podcast. Everything worked for me until the ending which I found underwhelming. My BF compared it to the ending of Lost... not a flattering comparison.
    BTW, Darren, I squealed when I heard you sing a line from the Kinsey Sicks. "... you're breaking my heart..."
    Excelsior
  • Options
    I was in fact thinking all those things, but I was also thinking that there were a couple other Legionnaires with different names in the reboot than they used in the original Legion. Brainy called himself "Brainiac 5.1" for a while; Laurel went by "Andromeda", and Bouncing Boy was just "Chuck Taine" (he does too count; he was a full-fledged Legionnaire in the DnA run).
  • Options
    I think we're heading for a Brainy/Dreamy romance.

That could result in Starboy being the long-term Legionnaire who leaves.
  • Options
    MikeGallagherMikeGallagher Posts: 547
    What the hell are they going to do to loshthis winter?!?!?!
  • Options
    uh... Strongbow is a cider and not a beer. And barbecue is me grillin' and smokin' meat, the steak variety.

Thank you for covering LL, so we don't have to.
  • Options
    uh... Strongbow is a cider and not a beer. And barbecue is me grillin' and smokin' meat, the steak variety.

Electric_mayhem FTW! I hope you'll share some recipes like you did last year!

• Options

Electric_mayhem FTW! I hope you'll share some recipes like you did last year!

Dude! Since you mentioned it... I got a rib party on the 16th. The plan is to do two with a dry rub (basic Kansas style) and then one smothered in honey and the last one will be the Hot Tamale, fiery hot hot hot. Can't wait!
  • Options
    I maybe way off here, but could Harvest be the creature/thing the Dominators are attempting to create/breed in the LOSH book? Plus Harvest's mouth/teeth kinda look Dominatoresque. fyi haven't read the #10's yet.
  • Options
    so.... For the ribs (which I will share in the Food thread of this forum)

I cup of brown sugar
    Sea salt: 2 tbs
    Coarse black pepper: 2 tbs
    Garlic powder: 2 tbs
    Onion powder: 1 ts
    Ground coriander seed: 1 ts
    Cayenne pepper : 1 ts
    Sweet paprika: 1 ts
    dried thyme: 1 ts

mix it up, makes enough for two racks of baby back deliciousness.

I soak 4 bb ribs overnight in apple juice, then patted them dry, used the dry rub, let them cure the second night, then baked them for an hour on 225, then the second hour for 175 (in more apple juice)

Then the fun part really began, I smoked the 4 racks for 3 1/2 hours with apple wood and charcoal with a pan of apple juice for moisture. Them racks were so juicy and tasty (with just a hint of spicy hotness) I firmly believe I have found my go-to rib smoking recipe.

I am so glad I stopped read Legion Lost... What does Tom DeFlaco have on these publishers that he still gets work, yo? Just stylin' and profilin'.
  • Options
    I maybe way off here, but could Harvest be the creature/thing the Dominators are attempting to create/breed in the LOSH book? Plus Harvest's mouth/teeth kinda look Dominatoresque. fyi haven't read the #10's yet.
    An interesting theory. You may have more faith in how thought out this is than I. ;)
  • Options
    An interesting theory. You may have more faith in how thought out this is than I. ;)
    He most assuredly has more faith than I!
  • Options
    He most assuredly has more faith than I!
    maybe they'll see this thread and quick write it in ;)
  • Options
    DangerbirdDangerbird Posts: 6
    edited June 2012
    At first I thought Harvest's mouth kinda looked like Validus's... Hrmmm?
  • Options
    Jay_KayJay_Kay Posts: 10
    Just started listening, going through the back-episodes and trying to read along at the same time--gosh, the Silver Age was some wacky stuff huh?

Listening to the latest episode right now, because I'm also reading the two current books...is it just me or does anyone else liked Lost #10 more? LOSH wasn't bad, but more interested in what's going happen next with the Lost crew--not to mention I'm kind-of curious about Tyroc's prophesy. The "Not!" thing was definitely a groaner, though.