Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Random Bits Not Worthy of their Own Thread...

Comments

• Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    mwhitt80 said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

Get these birds off the TV and put the Vikes on.

Bet you wish they kept them dirty birds on just a little longer ;).
    There's a pretty good chance this is going to be another long season for me and Falcons/dawgs so this might be the last time I get to trash talk. Give me a second.
    Oh that was an awful late game.

• Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,617
    edited September 2015
    Every time I read an article about some team getting public moneyto build a stadium I get a little aggravated.
    The Atlanta area is building 3 stadiums using city/county funds. Two of them belong to Mr. Blank. I guess as long as the Falcons stadium looks cool it will be worth it (sarcasm).

Edit: roughly $609,000,000.00 dollars in city and county funds. I'm glad I don't live in the Atlanta area. Unlike Milwaukee the rest of the state is not having to pick up the stadium bill.

Edit 2: The Georgia Department of Transportation just refused to fund the 12 million dollar pedestrian bridge (not included in 609 million figure) across I285 for the new Braves stadium. It's currently postponed and there is no way to get from Stadium parking across 285 to the stadium
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    David_D said:

rebis said:

Anyone else getting the "comment must be approved" message?

Was it a really long post? Or one that has a big amount of quoted posts in it? Sometimes that approval error message happens in those cases.
    The amount of text was small, but there was a link to a news story and another link to an image.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    edited September 2015
    rebis said:

Mr_Cosmic said:
    How long ago was Voyage?
    It ran from 1995-2001. That picture makes it seem like it was a lot longer ago.
  • Options
    So apparently Keegan Michael Key of Key & Peele was Dwayne McDuffie's half brother. It's actually kind of an interesting story since he only found out after McDuffie's passing.
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    It looks like the early reviews of the Martian are very positive. 97% at Rotten Tomatoes. The book was unputdownable. I finished it in a day
  • Options
    DAR said:

It looks like the early reviews of the Martian are very positive. 97% at Rotten Tomatoes. The book was unputdownable. I finished it in a day

I hadn't even heard of either the book or the movie until very recently, and the word of mouth has been very high; I'm definitely in the queue for seeing the film... and I'll wait until afterwards to read the book.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    Received the new Darkwing Duck omnibus in last month's DCBS order. Third night of reading it to my daughter for a bedtime story. At 400 pages, this one's going to take a while.
  • Options
    fredzilla said:

Received the new Darkwing Duck omnibus in last month's DCBS order. Third night of reading it to my daughter for a bedtime story. At 400 pages, this one's going to take a while.

Is the omnibus good? I was thinking about buying a copy.
  • Options
    Well the Falcons have beaten two bad teams in a row.
    And the Dawgs crushed Steve Spurrier.
    Not a bad weekend.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    mwhitt80 said:

fredzilla said:

We're enjoying it a lot. We can make it about 4-5 pages a night. I do my best making voices for each character--as close to what the cartoon was like--and she is enjoying it. She makes me play the theme song on YouTube before we start. It really is a well made book. Great art and engaging story.

It's bringing me back to the days I'd sit and watch cartoons after school. I saw the DVD season packages at Costco some time ago. I should have picked them up, but I got DuckTales and Tail Spin instead.
  • Options
    fredzilla said:

mwhitt80 said:

fredzilla said:

We're enjoying it a lot. We can make it about 4-5 pages a night. I do my best making voices for each character--as close to what the cartoon was like--and she is enjoying it. She makes me play the theme song on YouTube before we start. It really is a well made book. Great art and engaging story.

It's bringing me back to the days I'd sit and watch cartoons after school. I saw the DVD season packages at Costco some time ago. I should have picked them up, but I got DuckTales and Tail Spin instead.
    I like the darkwing dvds but I think ducktales is the best disney cartoon
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

I guess it's over.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Heaven's gain.
    RIP, Yogi
  • Options
    Even though he didn't really say half the things he said, he was my second-favorite Yankee catcher of all time.
  • Options

Even though he didn't really say half the things he said, he was my second-favorite Yankee catcher of all time.

I liked McCann well enough when played for the Braves, but it might a little early to crown him favorite Yankee catcher of all time
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

I liked McCann well enough when played for the Braves, but it might a little early to crown him favorite Yankee catcher of all time
    No, no, no, no, no. Thurmon Munson was my favorite player when I was a kid.

And just to clarify, I am by no means a Yankees fan. That ended around ’82, ’83.
  • Options
    Yogi is one of the great catchers of all time. It's a shame that he's known for the things he may or may not have said, and not for how good he was behind the plate and with a bat.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    WetRats said:

I guess it's over.
    Exact same thing I said when my dad told me.

• Options
    Yogi Berra played in 18 All-Star games and won 10 World Series titles. In 1950, he only struck out twelve times in 597 at-bats. And he signed three baseball cards that my friend Bill mailed to him when Bill was a kid around 30 years ago.
  • Options
    For anyone interested, I listened to Yogi Berra: Eternal Yankee a few years back, and it's a pretty good biography.
  • Options
    rebis said:

Yogi is one of the great catchers of all time. It's a shame that he's known for the things he may or may not have said, and not for how good he was behind the plate and with a bat.

The thing about "It ain't over 'til it's over" is it perfectly sums up what's so cool about baseball. Until the very last out, the game is always theoretically winnable. A football game is often over long before the clock says so, same with basketball.
  • Options
    Anyone who is currently out of work and looking for a job, here's something that ought to upset you. This editor still has a job.

http://news-sentinel.com/news/us-and-world/New-York-Yankees-Hall-of-Fame-catcher-Yogi-Bear-has-died--He-was-90-
  • Options

Anyone who is currently out of work and looking for a job, here's something that ought to upset you. This editor still has a job.

http://news-sentinel.com/news/us-and-world/New-York-Yankees-Hall-of-Fame-catcher-Yogi-Bear-has-died--He-was-90-

If their paper works like the paper I worked at does, this story probably wasn't edited at all by the newspaper. There is likely one person (not an editor, and probably someone with not a lot of experience) on the day shift responsible for moving stories from the wire to the paper's website, writing the headlines, and formatting the text. The stories that end up in the print edition don't get edited until the night shift comes on, but they'll also pull the stories directly from the wire, not from their website, so they probably won't ever see the mistake.
  • Options
    I think they've had about 12 hours to fix this error, and several comments to fix it, since it is an online news outlet. A simple online edit, by the writer, or the webmaster, is all that would be required.

No correction so far.

#YouHadOneJob
  • Options

I think they've had about 12 hours to fix this error, and several comments to fix it, since it is an online news outlet. A simple online edit, by the writer, or the webmaster, is all that would be required.

No correction so far.

#YouHadOneJob

To be quite honest, most wire stories that go out on newspaper websites rarely get corrected. Something this egregious should be, of course, and it would be at some newspapers, but not much time is devoted to online wire stories like this. The editors are much more concerned with the print edition and any local content, and they are already overburdened. Whoever wrote the headline is too busy checking the wire and getting the next story online. The webmaster is only concerned with making sure everything is working properly. The simple fact is that wire stories that will quickly cycle out tend to be ignored once they're released. Newspapers no longer have the man-power to do everything they should.
  • Options

No correction so far.

#YouHadOneJob

To be quite honest, most wire stories that go out on newspaper websites rarely get corrected. Something this egregious should be, of course, and it would be at some newspapers, but not much time is devoted to online wire stories like this. The editors are much more concerned with the print edition and any local content, and they are already overburdened. Whoever wrote the headline is too busy checking the wire and getting the next story online. The webmaster is only concerned with making sure everything is working properly. The simple fact is that wire stories that will quickly cycle out tend to be ignored once they're released. Newspapers no longer have the man-power to do everything they should.
    OTOH, this typo has probably generated more clicks in a few hours than they usually get in a month.