Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Random Bits Not Worthy of their Own Thread...

Comments

• Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Why hire Manara? Why hire an Eisner (Sandman) and Harvey (Jack Kirby Hall of Fame) award winning artist to do cover work on your books?

Because people do honestly like his work. And not just the pervs and 13-year olds.

Amid all the (admittedly) adult-themed artwork he's known for, are some amazing and not overly sexualized cover images of The Wasp, Storm, Gamora, Thor, Nightcrawl...wait, I thought he only drew sexy women in compromising positions?

The editors knew exactly who they were hiring, and to be honest I think they got a lot of great covers out of him. Perhaps if they'd exerted a bit more control on the Spider-Woman cover, we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

• Options
    aquatroyaquatroy Posts: 552
    I like Manara's work, too. I'm just sayin that if you're Marvel, you know who he is going in. You shouldn't recoil like a slug on salt when you get criticized.
  • Options
    Not to derail the discussion, but ... I guess I am.
    I've had to cancel a couple of eBay auctions because the winning bid didn't pay. When you cancel the auction, you have to give a reason. eBay has a number of canned reasons for you to choose from. "Winning bid didn't pay" is not one of the stock answers. What is that all about?
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,616
    eBay...

I've got to start looking for a new saltwater reel for Dad. I wish I wouldn't have learned that i can buy Shimanos from Japan; my buying habits have changed.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    aquatroy said:

I've had to cancel a couple of eBay auctions because the winning bid didn't pay. When you cancel the auction, you have to give a reason. eBay has a number of canned reasons for you to choose from. "Winning bid didn't pay" is not one of the stock answers. What is that all about?

Agreed. I just go into the selling portal to cancel a transaction in My eBay

Go to My eBay > Sold and locate the item.
    In the More actions drop-down menu, select Cancel this order.
    Choose a reason for the cancellation and follow the on-screen instructions. I use "buyer requested"
  • Options
    I would say write a suggestion to eBay, but we all know that they actually do not care about their customer base (you sellers).
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

I would say write a suggestion to eBay, but we all know that they actually do not care about their customer base (you sellers).

They definitely are built to serve the buyers.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Things you should know about me.

I love Glen Campbell Glen had some great songs, and he was the the musical act for the first real NBA all-star game (1976). He was the guitarist on Pet Sounds, and did I mention he had some really great songs.

I've wanted to watch a movie about Snake Pliskan: Escape from Cleveland.

Wheels on the bus
    is the most played/requested song in my house. I did my best, but there is reason that song has been around for 500 years.

Next most requested song is Rusty Cage from Johnny Cash Unearthed album. I have no clue why she loves that song. However I would also recommend you listen to On My Mind, Wichita Lineman, and Redemption Song that album
  • Options

aquatroy said:

Agreed. I just go into the selling portal to cancel a transaction in My eBay

Go to My eBay > Sold and locate the item.
    In the More actions drop-down menu, select Cancel this order.
    Choose a reason for the cancellation and follow the on-screen instructions. I use "buyer requested"
    mwhitt80 said:

I've done both. And, you both are right. eBay really doesn't care about it's sellers.
  • Options
    Two things that are not phased by the time change, a two year old and a dog
  • Options

Here’s how to donate:

1 – Fill out the donation form at http://tinyurl.com/jawiincomicdrive
    Put Jawiin Comic Drive for Soldiers in Group Title and the comic drive email on the form. The rest of the form is pretty self-explanatory.

2 – Box and ship the comics and the donation form to:
    Operation Gratitude
    21100 Lassen St.
    Chatsworth, CA 91311
    (Please include a donation form in EVERY box even if they’re part of the same donation. Sometimes cartons don’t all arrive at the same time.)

3 – Send a picture of your comics and the number of books you are donating tojawiincomicdrive@gmail.com
    (If you don’t send your number to the email, they will have an inaccurate count and the drive could fail. Let’s get these soldiers some comics for the new year! )

Make sure you get your donations in before the deadline of November 30, 2016. The comics can be from any publisher and in any genre, and while they don’t need to be in mint condition, they need to be readable. If you wouldn’t lend the comic to a friend, it’s not going to make a good gift to a soldier. Finally, feel free to enclose a personal letter or note of support with your donation as well. It’s not necessary, but it’s nice!
  • Options

And Frank didn’t get kicked off of Wonder Woman for drawing a panty line. He got kicked off for being unprofessional and raising a stink about it in a public forum. Frank’s a friend of mine, but he screwed up, and he knows it.

Just came across this interesting interview with Frank Cho from back in May where he comments on the social media attacks he withstood from the Rucka Wonder Woman backlash:

BC: There has been plenty of social media criticism of this. You’re painted as the worst choice for the series – embodying all that is sexist and skeevy about comic books. Is it possible your covers will put women off the comic, or simply send a wrong message about the book?

• Options
    Yeah, I'm with Frank on the "built to draw Wonder Woman" idea. His ability to draw the female form with the right amount of muscle and fat in the right places is almost without peer. He would make Diana a strong and powerful woman you wouldn't mess with but at the same time capture her captivating beauty. He's not tooting his own horn here...
  • Options

And Frank didn’t get kicked off of Wonder Woman for drawing a panty line. He got kicked off for being unprofessional and raising a stink about it in a public forum. Frank’s a friend of mine, but he screwed up, and he knows it.

Just came across this interesting interview with Frank Cho from back in May where he comments on the social media attacks he withstood from the Rucka Wonder Woman backlash:

BC: There has been plenty of social media criticism of this. You’re painted as the worst choice for the series – embodying all that is sexist and skeevy about comic books. Is it possible your covers will put women off the comic, or simply send a wrong message about the book?

That first paragraph is profound. The people that Cho is talking about aren't liberal or conservative, they're Zealots. Zealots can justify anything. Including the lose of freedoms. Zealots hunt. They will always hunt. After they've hunted all their prey, they will hunt each other.
  • Options
    aquatroy said:

That first paragraph is profound. The people that Cho is talking about aren't liberal or conservative, they're Zealots. Zealots can justify anything. Including the lose of freedoms. Zealots hunt. They will always hunt. After they've hunted all their prey, they will hunt each other.

Reminds me a lot of the comic book The Authority, which answered the unasked question of what a world overseen by overzealous liberals might actually be like.

"We are the Authority.

Behave."

:)

• Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited November 2016
    Torchsong said:

aquatroy said:

Reminds me a lot of the comic book The Authority, which answered the unasked question of what a world overseen by overzealous liberals might actually be like.

"We are the Authority.

Behave."

:)

I suppose it is a compliment to The Authority as a satire of sorts or, at least, as a provocative book, that a variety of political ideas can be projected upon their actions. I can see how you see it the way you do. But, also, many saw that book, especially in the Millar/Quitely era as a commentary on Neocons.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    David_D said:

I suppose it is a compliment to The Authority as a satire of sorts or, at least, as a provocative book, that a variety of political ideas can be projected upon their actions. I can see how you see it the way you do. But, also, many saw that book, especially in the Millar/Quitely era as a commentary on Neocons.

It works on a ton of levels, which is why it remains one of my favorites. The "Transfer of Power" arc was an indictment of the Millennial generation before we were even talking about them in those terms.

I always saw the core team as an example of liberal values taken to a ridiculous extreme - "We're going to save the world whether it wants to be saved or not". They always skirted a dangerous line of becoming the ABSOLUTE Authority, particularly when an existing political group didn't see eye to eye with them. Their intentions were always noble, but their execution methods were at times putting them in the same role as the villains they fought. Which I think was part of the point of the book.
  • Options
    It really does not matter what political viewpoint one has when he/she has on the extreme edges. It all ends with them wanting to control others by any means necessary.

The methods used to control people in Nazi Germany or Communist China/Russia weren't any different. Tow the line, don't speak out, obey, there is no place for difference of opinion or beliefs or thoughts. It does not matter if you under extreme right or left.
  • Options
    On a positive note instead of watching political talk all night, im going to flip on cavs-hawks. I've got a full slate of NBA games and League Pass.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

On a positive note instead of watching political talk all night, im going to flip on cavs-hawks. I've got a full slate of NBA games and League Pass.

Good for you, young man.
  • Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    No matter what happens after today just remember:

Pepsi is the right of all sentient beings.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Looking on eBay right now for Pepsi Optimus Prime

Cheapest G1 $250.00, lots of delusional people wanting $1,100+.
    The 2005 one is in $50 - $80
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    I'm finally watching Captain America:Civil War. Whether or not that was planned for tonight......who knows.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Well as promised I stayed off the election coverage. Instead of watching the NBA I cleaned, I thought my house should look nice in the coming Apocalypse following this election (no matter what candidate won at least that is what both sides of Facebook is telling me).

Interesting results.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

Well as promised I stayed off the election coverage. Instead of watching the NBA I cleaned, I thought my house should look nice in the coming Apocalypse following this election (no matter what candidate won at least that is what both sides of Facebook is telling me).

Interesting results.

The DNC has to be kicking themselves for running such a flawed candidate. I don't think Bernie would have won, either. But, there has to be some young Dem with vision that could have run.

Oh well, it will be an interesting four years.

• Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    ABC has effectively cancelled Hayley Atwell's new show Conviction.

Sadly, I don't think this means Agent Carter Season 3 is on the way.
  • Options

I tried watching it. I really tried.
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    aquatroy said:

I did not watch it. I did want to see it when I saw the first promos for it. It looked somewhat interesting.

The second set of promos I saw killed any interest I had. Basically, she comments on how she is not wearing underwear. I thought then that they were lowering the bar and trying to up the sex appeal just for ratings.

• Options

aquatroy said:

I did not watch it. I did want to see it when I saw the first promos for it. It looked somewhat interesting.

The second set of promos I saw killed any interest I had. Basically, she comments on how she is not wearing underwear. I thought then that they were lowering the bar and trying to up the sex appeal just for ratings.

Well said.
  • Options
    So I did my civic duty and voted. I'm not going to talk politics or discuss the pros/cons of the outcome.

What I genuinely want to know if I told you 2 years a guy that was headlined WrestleMania would be president who would you think I was talking about?