Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Random Bits Not Worthy of their Own Thread...

Comments

• Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Too many Image trades to buy...

So this year I've been trying to cut down on single issues and have instead read the first couple of series and noted down those to pick up in trade. Now I have a long list of Image books, all of which I want to read at some point or other. Which of these are the best long term so far, what should I pick up first? Here's what I have...

Revival
    Lazarus
    Umbral
    Nailbiter
    Wicked and the Divine
  • Options
    Of the three I'm reading I would start with Lazarus which will go down as one of the best series ever. Then Nailbiter which I have been enjoying so far and finally Revival whose concept has held up a little better than the execution but is still entertaining. I can speak on the other two except to say that I also want to check them out eventually, but there is too much good stuff right now...
  • Options
    I'm only reading Lazarus from that list. For my money, it may very well be the best book out there, so I would definitely make that #1.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    luke52 said:

Too many Image trades to buy...

So this year I've been trying to cut down on single issues and have instead read the first couple of series and noted down those to pick up in trade. Now I have a long list of Image books, all of which I want to read at some point or other. Which of these are the best long term so far, what should I pick up first? Here's what I have...

Revival
    Lazarus
    Umbral
    Nailbiter
    Wicked and the Divine

I've only read Revival and Umbral and I enjoy both. Umbral is only issue 9 or 10 and it's a really solid fantasy comic. Revival although good, had too slow of a pace for me to the point where I'm letting it build it so I can binge read.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586

You know, there were a couple of years there that Vince Vaughn seemed like he was aiming to become the name star of Christmas movies.

So much so that in 2009, after 2007 being Fred Claus and 2008 being Four Christmases, I actually found myself disappointed he didn't do another Christmas movie.

It had started to become a little holiday tradition, and I'm not even a fan of Vince Vaughn.

I really need to watch Four Christmases.
  • Options
    I saw "Four Christmases" for the 1st time last week. I'm a Vince Vaughn fan to begin with, so I was prone to like it anyway, but it's definitely a fun holiday movie to check out.

Some fun cameos too by Jon Favreau and Tim McGraw as his idiot brothers. Also, watch for Peter Billingsley (Ralphie from "A Christmas Story") as the airline ticket agent who has to deal with Vince Vaughn and Reese Witherspoon after their flight gets canceled.

• Options
    Speaking of casting in Vince Vaughn Christmas movies (we were. honest.), "Fred Claus" has quite the impressive staff, boasting 5 or so Academy Award winners (Kevin Spacey, Kathy Bates, Miranda Richardson, Paul Giamatti, Rachel Weisz). Not to mention Ludacris in an epic guest-starring role.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    I'm surprised we don't have another VV Christmas Holiday movie this season. I thought he was starting a trend.
  • Options
    While there are many things I dislike, there are very few I object to...Looking up the Showtime show "The Big C" on Wikipedia and having Chris Hardwick come up in the Disambiguation is now one of those things.
  • Options

I'm only reading Lazarus from that list. For my money, it may very well be the best book out there, so I would definitely make that #1.

Looks like Lazarus has it then. So that's going to the top of the list. Think I'll put Umbral 2nd as I really liked the first 3 issues too. The rest will follow as and when.
    Thanks all!
  • Options
    The only downside is, I'm told, the trades do not have the bonus material found at the end of each issue where they profile the history of one of the great corporate families. That is really fun stuff to read.
  • Options

The only downside is, I'm told, the trades do not have the bonus material found at the end of each issue where they profile the history of one of the great corporate families. That is really fun stuff to read.

That's a shame. How about in the HC version that came out?
  • Options
    That I don't know. I've been getting individual issues myself.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586

While there are many things I dislike, there are very few I object to...Looking up the Showtime show "The Big C" on Wikipedia and having Chris Hardwick come up in the Disambiguation is now one of those things.

As someone who has never seen the Big C... Why do you object to that?
  • Options
    playdohsrepublicplaydohsrepublic Posts: 1,377
    edited December 2014

As someone who has never seen the Big C... Why do you object to that?
    Because I refuse to believe that enough people call Chris Hardwick "the Big C" that it warrants a redirect on Wikipedia.

When I search "The Big C" I should never be asked, "Did you mean Chris Hardwick?"
  • Options
    Yeah, EFF YOU Chris Hardwick!
  • Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    I just spent a lovely evening with Nichelle Nichols.
  • Options

TMI!!

Oh, wait, sorry, it's the opposite of that ... NEI! (Not Enough Information)
  • Options
    Was watching Big Bang Theory last night and chuckled at Sheldon's take on She-Hulk's ability as an attorney.
  • Options
    This is pretty funny. In the latest issue of Injustice, Detective Chimp returns to the book/war from his hospital bed wearing the following epic tee shirt:

("A Talking Raccoon? Bitch, please.")
  • Options
    edited December 2014

TMI!!

Oh, wait, sorry, it's the opposite of that ... NEI! (Not Enough Information)
    The Cupertino library hosted a free Star Trek discussion panel. Other panel guests included Sean Kenney (Christopher Pike) and author Marc Cushman. They talked for about two hours, mostly about on-set anecdotes. There was also a Q&A session. One audience member asked Nichelle if she still sang, to which she replied "at the drop of a hat". Good thing it was raining that night for several people were wearing hats. Needless to say they all dropped. She sang George Gershwin/DuBose Heyward’s Summertime. The panel was moderated by Marc, who in addition to writing several books about Star Trek also has written episodes, most notably the STtNG episode, Sarek (along with author Peter S. Beagle). Marc's expertise made him an ideal moderator, for not only did he know Trek like the back of his hand, he knew of many details that time has all but forgotten. Case in point: the classic Trek episode, titled Spock's Brain dealt with the surgical removal of Spock's brain. This was a direct response to a real world event, namely the first surgical heart transplant that took place in Capetown Africa. The heart transplant had stirred all sorts of ethical questions, and Star Trek wasn't shy about confronting those concerns head on. It was details such as this one, that made the panel thoroughly engrossing. Having attended numerous comic conventions panels, I can honestly say this was one of the more engaging and enlightening discussions I've attended.

(Note: Clicking on the image will redirect one to my blog entry.)
  • Options
    At exactly eleven minutes after ten today, it will be 10:11 on 12/13/14.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    rebis said:

For some reason, my wife thought this was funny.

Found myself at Jason St Mile High Comics store and I saw this book on the shelf. I grabbed it because of this picture. Haven't read it yet, but it looks great with the 3D! The guy ringing me up even commented and said that it looked like a lot of fun!
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    fredzilla said:

rebis said:

For some reason, my wife thought this was funny.

Found myself at Jason St Mile High Comics store and I saw this book on the shelf. I grabbed it because of this picture. Haven't read it yet, but it looks great with the 3D! The guy ringing me up even commented and said that it looked like a lot of fun!
    the 3D is so good that you almost forget to read the book.
  • Options
    I found 3 episodes of Star Trek Continues on Youtube. Anyone else seen these? It took a little doing for me to get past the different actors and the amateurish acting. However, to their credit, by the third episode, the actors are much more comfortable with their rolls. Now the only thing that distracts me is this Ship's Counselor. Every scene she's in looks like Axel Braun directed it and I get concerned about where the scene is going. Am I going to have to delete the "history" when it's finished?
    Other than that, the stories are very good. I like that they've touched on classic tales and fleshed them out, giving them a nice finish.
  • Options
    Sometimes, when people are singing the National Anthem before a football game, does anyone else get the feeling that the singer is auditioning for something?
  • Options
    Odell Beckham Jr. is the best rookie receiver in the NFL since Randy Moss.
  • Options
    I'm gutted. Swamp Thing is ending with issue #40. Best DC book out there by a long way.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    luke52 said:

I'm gutted. Swamp Thing is ending with issue #40. Best DC book out there by a long way.

Doesn't mean that it's not coming back just that Convergence is changing a bunch of things.