Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Random Bits Not Worthy of their Own Thread...

Comments

• Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    hauberk said:

luke52 said:

I'm gutted. Swamp Thing is ending with issue #40. Best DC book out there by a long way.

Doesn't mean that it's not coming back just that Convergence is changing a bunch of things.
    Very true. We are getting a two parter from Len Wein as part of Convergence, so I'm looking forward to that. Hopefully a reboot will be coming after. Soule has been doing a great job with that book lately. Think I heard he'll working exclusively for Marvel soon.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,617
    My new fishing rod came in; I've been waiting for 3 months for it to get made. It's pretty awesome and maybe the lightest rod I've ever owned. Next on the list is getting out on the water.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    edited December 2014

While there are many things I dislike, there are very few I object to...Looking up the Showtime show "The Big C" on Wikipedia and having Chris Hardwick come up in the Disambiguation is now one of those things.

As someone who has never seen the Big C... Why do you object to that?
    Because I refuse to believe that enough people call Chris Hardwick "the Big C" that it warrants a redirect on Wikipedia.

When I search "The Big C" I should never be asked, "Did you mean Chris Hardwick?"
    Apparently they have since 2011, at the least.

Yeah, EFF YOU Chris Hardwick!

I get the feeling you don't like him. ;)
  • Options
    How terrible is the NFC South that the Falcons, Saints and Carolina are all still in the hunt? I love my Falcons, but I'm not sure any team deserves to win this division (unless the mighty Falcons sweep thier puny foes and go undefeated in the division).

What's almost as bad as knowing that 3 teams with losing records are in the hunt for hosting a playoff game, is that Carolina could be the first back-to-back winner of the south because of a tie.
  • Options
    So, The Interview was cancelled. Was anyone here actually going to see it?
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    mwhitt80 said:

How terrible is the NFC South that the Falcons, Saints and Carolina are all still in the hunt? I love my Falcons, but I'm not sure any team deserves to win this division (unless the mighty Falcons sweep thier puny foes and go undefeated in the division).

What's almost as bad as knowing that 3 teams with losing records are in the hunt for hosting a playoff game, is that Carolina could be the first back-to-back winner of the south because of a tie.

The only upshot to it is that NONE of the South teams get even the remotest consideration for a wild-card berth. You will win this division or your season is over.

I'm not even sure WHO is going to take this one. The Panthers lost Cam. The Dirty Birds and the 'Aints are all banged up. I know who I'm pulling for, obviously, but heck...it could be anyone at this point.
  • Options
    TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    edited December 2014
    What will be interesting is if NO wins the division and, the way things currently stand, would then host Seattle in the Superdome. I mean, would it shock you if the Saints win that? Not me.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Look my Atl fandom prevents me from pulling for the Saints or Tampa Bay openly, but....

I do not want Carolina to win the division this year. If a tie is like kissing your sister then:
    A Carolina win would mean the NFC South is like an Alabama prom.
    That means I might have to at least consider the possiblity of having to put on a paperbag.

On a brighter note my favorite team in Atlanta is on a roll; the Hawks destroyed Cleveland and beat Chicago this week. The next 3 games are going to be tough though Rockets, Mavs, and Clips. I will be happy if they go 1-2 and over the moon if they go 2-1.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967

Wasn't interested.

I've entertained the possibility that all this mess was actually Sony's elaborate way of "deep sixing" the movie because they had a bomb in their hands. Extremely unlikely, I know, but that would be a more interesting movie to me.

Kind of like a 21st century "The Producers" - could be great in the hands of the right director.
  • Options

Wasn't interested.

I've entertained the possibility that all this mess was actually Sony's elaborate way of "deep sixing" the movie because they had a bomb in their hands. Extremely unlikely, I know, but that would be a more interesting movie to me.

Kind of like a 21st century "The Producers" - could be great in the hands of the right director.
    I don't think they had a bomb. Hell, I'd think Franco and Rogen would have goodwill after This is the End, which was awesome.

But hey, Spider-Man stuff might take place due to all this. So... comic-related?
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    edited December 2014
    Even a bomb would have earned back some money. All this exposure might have even increased tickets sales to a small degree as some may want to see what all the fuss was about.
  • Options

What will be interesting is if NO wins the division and, the way things currently stand, would then host Seattle in the Superdome. I mean, would it shock you if the Saints win that? Not me.

Well, considering that's what happened in reverse a few seasons back (Saints with the superior record had to travel to Seattle with a losing one (but their division title) and lost) I'd call it karma. :)
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    Torchsong said:

Well, considering that's what happened in reverse a few seasons back (Saints with the superior record had to travel to Seattle with a losing one (but their division title) and lost) I'd call it karma. :)
    That's a good way to look at it. I like the NFL's playoff system. I suppose that you could do away with the various divisions. Just use the 2 conferences and take the top 6 teams. But, then you lose the rivalries.
  • Options
    rebis said:

Torchsong said:

That's a good way to look at it. I like the NFL's playoff system. I suppose that you could do away with the various divisions. Just use the 2 conferences and take the top 6 teams. But, then you lose the rivalries.

No thankyou, after years of watching the 49ers beat the Falcons before the additional divisions, I prefer this system.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967

Wasn't interested.

I don't think they had a bomb. Hell, I'd think Franco and Rogen would have goodwill after This is the End, which was awesome.

But hey, Spider-Man stuff might take place due to all this. So... comic-related?
    I agree.

Not quite off-topic, but these experts say it is "highly unlikely" that North Korea was involved in the Sony hacking... hmmmmmmm.....

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/sony-hack-skeptics,news-20037.html
  • Options

Wasn't interested.

I agree.

Not quite off-topic, but these experts say it is "highly unlikely" that North Korea was involved in the Sony hacking... hmmmmmmm.....

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/sony-hack-skeptics,news-20037.html
    First - I wasn't going to see it since I don't find Seth Rogan's humor my thing. However, I have heard from different sources that Sony thought it would be huge, since it was testing well..well enough they moved it to Christmas from October.

Second, I have heard that they are saying it WAS North Korea behind it, as of this morning on my way to work.

Third, back in 2004 when Team America came out, Kim Jong Il threatened retaliation and attacks and we ignored it. As we should have. The hacking was Sony not having decent security, not some massive terrorist plot.
  • Options
    I think North Korea needs a little high and tight "chin music" sent their way.
  • Options
    For @ShaneKelly‌ ... thought you'd enjoy this:

Remembering Every Superstar Guest Villain of Adam West's "Batman"

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=57882

imageimage
  • Options

No. I agree with the assessment that it was going to bomb. I had absolutely zero interest in it, and didn’t think it was going to turn out to be a good movie by any measure; the fact that Seth Rogan was in it was an early indicator of that point to me. And this was being released at Christmas? Yeah, I want to go see a comedy about assassinating a foreign dictator for Christmas – not!
  • Options
    Hot dang the Hawks have won 4 straight against good teams. They beat the Bulls, the Cavs, the Rockets, and the Mavs. Next up are the Clippers it's been a great 4 games and I am happy.

Bonus: The Falcons are playing much better and can lock up the division with a win a week 17 win.
  • Options
    I always root for the team that beat us - but since the Panthers AND the Dirty Birds both clobbered us...pfah! :)

It would be nice to see Matty Ice do something in the post-season...and maybe save his coach's job in the process...
  • Options
    Way back after the Lumixing in London game. You made the comment you respected Mike Smith bc he always had the Falcons ready for the New Orleans game. I didn't expect that Sunday.

I like Cam Newton since he became a pro, but I hope he sees a lot of turf on Sunday.
  • Options
    I don't think Smith deserves to get the boot - as has been threatened - any more than Payton does. Teams have bad seasons...it happens. So many people on fb Saints threads seem to think we're in the Super Bowl every year since '67. :)

I still have my paper bag! :)
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

I still have my paper bag! :)

As a longtime Falcons fan there have been many years I would have gladly traded in a paper bag for a plastic one.
  • Options
    I haven't really followed the NFL since Tom Landry was fired. I'm an NHL guy and MLB to a lesser extent. But we changed TV services recently and now I have GolTV, and lately I have been watching a lot of Bundesliga matches. Anyone else into what the rest of the world calls football?
  • Options
    You mean communist kickball? ;)
  • Options

I haven't really followed the NFL since Tom Landry was fired. I'm an NHL guy and MLB to a lesser extent. But we changed TV services recently and now I have GolTV, and lately I have been watching a lot of Bundesliga matches. Anyone else into what the rest of the world calls football?

Tom Landry?!!??!?!

really?
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

You mean communist kickball? ;)

No, I mean the game where you actually use your feet to play it, and the ball is actually a ball rather than a weird oblong thing. ;)
  • Options
    rebis said:

Tom Landry?!!??!?!

really?
    Yeah, I was a Cowboys fan when I was a kid. Roger Staubach, Tony Dorsett, “Too Tall” Jones, etc. I was starting to lose interest towards the end of high school as those guys began retiring and moving on to other teams, and when Landry was fired it was kind of an end of an era. I've watched games here and there over the years, usually when I'm visiting family, but I no longer have any vested interest in the sport.

When I went off to college, I started being able to see hockey on TV, and then I started going to the local ECHL team’s games, and I became a convert. But I've also been fascinated with soccer since the 1982 World Cup.
  • Options

rebis said:

Tom Landry?!!??!?!

really?
    Yeah, I was a Cowboys fan when I was a kid. Roger Staubach, Tony Dorsett, “Too Tall” Jones, etc. I was starting to lose interest towards the end of high school as those guys began retiring and moving on to other teams, and when Landry was fired it was kind of an end of an era. I've watched games here and there over the years, usually when I'm visiting family, but I no longer have any vested interest in the sport.

When I went off to college, I started being able to see hockey on TV, and then I started going to the local ECHL team’s games, and I became a convert. But I've also been fascinated with soccer since the 1982 World Cup.
    I have a similar story. My Dad played college football, was a HS Football coach, a very early Denver Broncos season ticket holder, was part of the community effort to keep the Broncos in Denver, and a charter member of the Denver Gold USFL team.
    For my part, I was my Dad's primary football game companion, and the guy that snuck the booze into the game. There was a lot of football impressed on my in my youth.

My love for football began to wain with free agency. The illusion of "great men playing a game they love" started to dissolve and the business of football became real to me. Before Free Agency a team would draft a player and that player would probably play his entire professional career with that team. This gave a kid a chance to get to "know" the player. I didn't need to see the number on the jersey to know that it was Glenn Hyde running like a crazy man out of the locker room. I could recognize Randy Gradishar by his sillouette. And, I knew it was Tom Jackson talking trash to the opposing sideline.
    That doesn't happen today. The great players get locked up and stick around, but the majority of players. The workmen. They bounce around from team to team. Might as well be a Journeyman Electrician.

I also started to see how football players were treated. Owners and fans talk about loyalty from the player, but they have no loyalty to the player. The majority of players are treated like cattle. I also became aware of aspects of football culture that I found ... unsavory. Equating the game to war/battle being the best example.

Two of my children attended the University of Denver. A College Hockey power. We attended a lot of games. I have to say that I enjoy Hockey more than Football.

Soccer, not so much. I appreciate the athleticism, but the game itself just kind of plods along.

This got very long. Sorry about that.