Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Random Bits Not Worthy of their Own Thread...

Comments

• Can somebody bottom line the "Flash" tv show for me? Worth watching, or nah? Also, age appropriate for an 11 year old? (We had started watching Gotham with our youngest, the aforementioned 11 year old, but some of the stuff was a little intense for the 8 o'clock hour IMO)
  • luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    I really liked it and would highly recommend. As for an 11 year old, there was one rather bloody scene after someone gets shot in the neck. Other then that I can't remember anything else too intense. You may wanna watch first and then decide whether it's suitable.
  • mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,635
    @‌torchsong

I think I may have found my new favorite cause.
    A New Orleans radio station has started a #savesmitty campaign to support Coach Mike Smith of the Falcons. I'm all for it.

The Falcons are a game out of the division lead, and do you know how much talent it takes to lose the Detroit game? He didn't just defy the odds; Coach Mike Smith crushed them in that loss.
  • TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    @mwhitt80: Here's the thing, and I'll never admit this out in public. I like Mike Smith. I think he's a great coach, and every time we face the Dirty Birds I know the Saints are in for a contest. I also think Matty Ice is an underappreciated QB. Again, I'll deny I ever said/wrote this. :) Hackers in my account... :)

@TheOriginalGMan‌ : The Flash is arguably the best of the new crop of comics-based shows. Don't take my word on it. My wife, who is impossible to get to sit still to watch an hour of anything, regularly tunes in with me to see it. I have no children, so I don't know if it's "safe" for them to see...there's some pretty violent scenes and it doesn't shy away from people getting killed. You might want to watch an episode yourself sans kid and see if it's too much for them.
  • RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    Two more days 'til Halloween....Halloween...Halloween
    Two more days 'til Halloween...Silver Shamrock.
  • random73random73 Posts: 2,318

Can somebody bottom line the "Flash" tv show for me? Worth watching, or nah? Also, age appropriate for an 11 year old? (We had started watching Gotham with our youngest, the aforementioned 11 year old, but some of the stuff was a little intense for the 8 o'clock hour IMO)

Yes, worth it. IMO the best TV adaptation of a comic property to date. Yes, age appropriate for an 11 year old. not as gritty as Arrow.
  • shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457

Can somebody bottom line the "Flash" tv show for me? Worth watching, or nah? Also, age appropriate for an 11 year old? (We had started watching Gotham with our youngest, the aforementioned 11 year old, but some of the stuff was a little intense for the 8 o'clock hour IMO)

Perfect superhero show for an 11 year old. No deviancy yet. Good guys are good, bad guys are bad. Girls are pretty and smart. Overall story arc easy to follow. Highly reccommended for an 11 year old.
  • shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457

Two more days 'til Halloween....Halloween...Halloween
    Two more days 'til Halloween...Silver Shamrock.

My 8 year old sings that because all last year I was chanting it. Great bad movie.
  • shroud68 said:

Perfect superhero show for an 11 year old. No deviancy yet. Good guys are good, bad guys are bad. Girls are pretty and smart. Overall story arc easy to follow. Highly reccommended for an 11 year old.

Thanks, @shroud68‌!

*Programs DVR*
  • DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    Believe me I'm happy with all the Marvel and DC films on the horizon, but I hope the smaller films will still have a place
  • fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131

My family is watching it and loving it. My son is 9. We watched AoS last season and the finale was a little intense for him.
    edited October 2014
    On an unrelated note. The office I work at in Richardson, TX will be relocating to here in the next 12-18 months or so. https://player.vimeo.com/video/105807021
  • hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    random73 said:

On an unrelated note. The office I work at in Richardson, TX will be relocating to here in the next 12-18 months or so. https://player.vimeo.com/video/105807021

No excuses about road conditions keeping you from the office there.
    hauberk said:

random73 said:

i could sell both cars and walk everywhere. But we both know thats never going to happen. ANy my wife has this funny thing about living AWAY from work...
  • hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    random73 said:

hauberk said:

random73 said:

i could sell both cars and walk everywhere. But we both know thats never going to happen. ANy my wife has this funny thing about living AWAY from work...
    She's a smart lady!
    hauberk said:

random73 said:

hauberk said:

random73 said:

She's a smart lady!
    apart from loving me...
  • rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    edited October 2014
    Minor league hockey is awesome.

The story.
  • luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    What are your guys views on the possibility of London getting an NFL franchise?
    luke52 said:

I think that if the NFL wants to put a franchise in a city that doesn't care about pro-football, they can always stick one in LA.
  • GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    luke52 said:

It'll never work out. The travel alone would be horrendous. The World League and its successor NFL Europe failed. I think American football in London would die off after the initial excitement faded. I know the NFL wants to globalize their brand like the NBA and MLB has, but with so much love soccer out there, I just can't see the NFL taking a strong enough root to be a successful endeavor.
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,884
    This is my anecdotal, thoroughly unscientific survey. So take it with a grain of salt, but...

Judging from the two kids costume parades I saw on Halloween-- one at my oldest daughter's pre-K to elementary school; and later the neighborhood kids costume parade (biggest kid focused one in the city) that we went to with her friend in Jackson Heights... I've got to say that Marvel totally beat DC for Halloween this year.

Again, this is only two parades in Queens (and maybe Queens has, or should have, a pro-Spiderman bias) but I saw more girls dressed as Spider-Man than I saw anyone dressed as Batman or Superman. I saw more female versions of Captain America than I saw Wonder Woman (only saw one). I saw more boys dresses as Starlord, Cap, Wolverine, or especially Spider-Man, than I saw Batman or Superman.

I saw one mother daughter pair as Green Lanterns (bless them, one of them must be a real fan). Saw no Flashes (maybe there is not a costume in the stores for Flash this year?) Saw no Arrows. No Titans. Far fewer Batmans than I thought there should be. And, again anecdotal, but more girls in red cape Superfamily attire (though it looked like they were girls wearing Superman costumes rather than a specifically Supergirl costume) than boys.

And many more Caps than Iron Man, Thor, or Hulk this year. (Though that might be the recent movie/ new costumes in the stores effect.)

So Marvel, and especially more broadly Disney (if you throw in all the princess and Elsa dresses, as well as the Star Wars costumes) had much more of a lock on the kids I saw yesterday than DC. Heck, I think I saw more Ninja Turtles and Marios/Luigis/Princess Peaches than I saw DC heroes.
  • DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    I was going to see the movie Nightcrawler until I realized it wasn't about a member of X-Men.

Though I heard it's quite good
  • TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    We had a She-Hulk show up...and she was a little kid. We grilled her parents (who were with her), accusing them of putting her up to this. They swore the entire thing was her idea...she really wanted to be She-Hulk.

Bet your ass we gave her extra candy! :)
    Torchsong said:

We had a She-Hulk show up...and she was a little kid. We grilled her parents (who were with her), accusing them of putting her up to this. They swore the entire thing was her idea...she really wanted to be She-Hulk.

Bet your ass we gave her extra candy! :)

Well done, young man.
  • mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,635
    edited November 2014
    If I had to redo my weekend in any way possible: I would have left earlier with my lovely wife to go see a production of Don Giovanni at FSU. As it stands I had to see the first half of the UGA game. It was a half too much
  • rebis said:

When did Kathleen Turner start looking like my Mom?

And sounding like my dad.