Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Random Bits Not Worthy of their Own Thread...

Comments

• Options
    I just like the flow of the game with hockey and soccer so much more than football. And I get that a lot of people think soccer is slow and boring—and it certainly can be—but the Bundesliga has some really good offensive-oriented teams. Whereas recently the world competitions have tended to be more defense-first—kind of like the NHL throughout most of the ’90s—which can bog down the play, I’ve found most of the Bundesliga games to be much more aggressive and attack-oriented.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Being from England, I'm a big football fan. We live and breath it here.

Being a Man United fan, we're going through some trying times at the moment, but finally looking like we're going in the right direction again.

If you like Bundasliga you'll like the Premier League and the Spanish La Liga too. Great football everyweek in both!
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    luke52 said:

Being a Man United fan, we're going through some trying times at the moment, but finally looking like we're going in the right direction again.

If you like Bundasliga you'll like the Premier League and the Spanish La Liga too. Great football everyweek in both!

Two of my children went to University and came back Man City fans. I don't know what that means. I do know that there's an event called Derby in which they go to a bar at a ridiculously early hour.
    And, they pronounce Derby wrong. Sounds more like Darby.

;)
  • Options
    rebis said:

luke52 said:

Two of my children went to University and came back Man City fans. I don't know what that means. I do know that there's an event called Derby in which they go to a bar at a ridiculously early hour.
    And, they pronounce Derby wrong. Sounds more like Darby.

;)
    Yep, that's right, pronounced Darby! Yes, City vs United is a big game every year, big rivalry between the two teams.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    You know whats a weird game. Australian Rules Football is a weird game. A local PBS Station carries MHZ Network. MHZ used to broadcast ARF and I was able to watch a few seasons.
    The field is a HUGE circle. It seems like there's 25 players to a side. It's kind of like the NBA in the 50's. I bunch of pale white guys in booty shorts and wife beaters jumper and kicking.

Oh, and Refs doing finger pistols.

weird.
  • Options
    If you think that's weird check out Hurling. A favorite sport of the Irish. Its kind of like a mix of football, rugby and cricket. Fun watch.
  • Options
    luke52 said:

If you think that's weird check out Hurling. A favorite sport of the Irish. Its kind of like a mix of football, rugby and cricket. Fun watch.

I would like to watch that. I used to get Universal Sports OTA. It was kind of hit and miss. One month would be nothing but Rugby. Which was a lot of fun. The next month, nothing but Table Tennis. Not so much fun. Hurling would be right up the Universal Sports alley.
  • Options
    rebis said:

luke52 said:

I would like to watch that. I used to get Universal Sports OTA. It was kind of hit and miss. One month would be nothing but Rugby. Which was a lot of fun. The next month, nothing but Table Tennis. Not so much fun. Hurling would be right up the Universal Sports alley.
    Table tennis, not so much for me either. It's kinda like watching snooker... Looks easy, but it really isn't.
  • Options
    The only thing I found interesting with Table Tennis was that every member of the N Korean team had the same haircut. Gender didn't matter, either. Everyone sat in the chair and asked for the Moe Howard.
  • Options
    luke52 said:

GolTV shows all the Everton matches, and I'll watch some of those, but that's about it for the Premiere League—contract issues I suppose. They show a few La Liga matches, but only once or twice a week. They do show a bunch of Brazil Serie A matches, but I don't find them to be quite as entertaining.

But they show Bundesliga almost every night (they're taped replays, obviously), and some nights are double-headers. Plus, I spent some time in Germany in my younger years. I’ve actually been in FC Köln’s stadium (though for a concert, not a match), so I have a bit of an attachment there.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    I won an auction recently on eBay: vols 1-3 of the Graphitti Designs' Frank Miller Daredevil. They all came still in the original shrink wrap, as far as I can tell. Each book goes for $70+ on eBay. I do want to dig into them, but my collector sensibilities tell me not to. What is a comic fan to do?
  • Options
    fredzilla said:

I won an auction recently on eBay: vols 1-3 of the Graphitti Designs' Frank Miller Daredevil. They all came still in the original shrink wrap, as far as I can tell. Each book goes for $70+ on eBay. I do want to dig into them, but my collector sensibilities tell me not to. What is a comic fan to do?

That's a tough one. A while back I bought a copy of Captain Marvel Adventures off of Ebay that had been seriously under valued. The auction described it as VG. The book was actually a couple of notches above that. It's like a $75 to $100 difference. I still haven't decided what to do with the book. Right now, it's in the collection in a heavy mylar bar with a couple of backer boards.
  • Options
    I'm working out a couple of recipes.
    This is my first attempt at a PB&J Scone. I need to adjust the amount of jelly and go with PB Chips instead of chunky peanut butter. It was a bit wet and took about 10 minutes longer to cook.

This is my second attempt at a Bacon & Chocolate Chip Scone. I think I've got this one nailed.
  • Options
    Merry Christmas, everyone!
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,617
    My 11month old plagius rex has infected me with a tummy bug.
  • Options
    Merry Christmas forumites!
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Christmas Dinner
    I think I had about 10 of them.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    The Top 10 highest-grossing films at global box office 2014

1. Transformers: Age of Extinction, $1.087bn
    2. Guardians of the Galaxy, $772.3m
    3. Maleficent, $757.8m
    4. X-Men: Days of Future Past, $746m
    5. Captain America: The Winter Soldier, $714.1m
    6. The Amazing Spider-Man 2, $709m
    7. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, $708.3m
    8. The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1, $641.6m
    9. Interstellar, $636.2m
    10. How to Train Your Dragon 2, $618.9m

Marvel has to be feeling pretty good right now, with four of their properties (albeit X-Men and Spider-Man being licensed by Fox and Sony) in the top 10 movies worldwide in 2014. And from Disney's point of view, they can boast Maleficent along with Guardians and Captain America. Not a bad year.

Heck, if you wish to be technical, the Transformers were once a part of the Marvel 616 universe, and Marvel was also the first comic company to license the original Planet of the Apes for that matter, but I digress...

Source: the Guardian UK
  • Options
    I'm shocked Transformers is top of that list to be honest. I've not even seen it, but still I thought that franchise was dying off. The 3rd movie was awful.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    luke52 said:

I'm shocked Transformers is top of that list to be honest. I've not even seen it, but still I thought that franchise was dying off. The 3rd movie was awful.

Indeed. Transformers Age of Extinction was a success in 2014 largely due to its major success in China. Almost a third of its take came from China alone ($300m+). It also overtook Avatar to become the highest-grossing movie of all time in China. The movie was shot in Hong Kong and they hired Chinese stars in supporting roles which likely helped to encourage national/local interest.

In the domestic US box-office, Guardians of the Galaxy ruled and Transformers was not as successful:

1. Guardians of the Galaxy, $332.7m
    2. The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1, $296.7m
    3. Captain America: The Winter Soldier, $259.8m
    4. The LEGO Movie, $257.8
    5. Transformers: Age of Extinction, $245.4m
    6. Maleficent, $241.4m
    7. X-Men: Days of Future Past, $233.9m
    8. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, $208.5m
    9. The Amazing Spider-Man 2, $202.9m
    10. Godzilla, $200.7m

Source: Box Office Mojo
  • Options
    It always baffles me when I hear Amazing Spider-Man 2 was a bomb or disappointment and it's the #6 movie int he world for this year. Kids, if you can't make a profit when your movie grosses 3/4th of a billion dollars AND you replaced everyone involved so your costs would be lower, YOU ARE DOING SOMETHING HORRIBLY WRONG ON A BUSINESS LEVEL.

4 Marvel related movies in the US Top 10. 12 year old me is feeling pretty damn smug right about now.
  • Options

It always baffles me when I hear Amazing Spider-Man 2 was a bomb or disappointment and it's the #6 movie int he world for this year. Kids, if you can't make a profit when your movie grosses 3/4th of a billion dollars AND you replaced everyone involved so your costs would be lower, YOU ARE DOING SOMETHING HORRIBLY WRONG ON A BUSINESS LEVEL.

4 Marvel related movies in the US Top 10. 12 year old me is feeling pretty damn smug right about now.

I completely agree. We live in a "golden age" for sure. I think when people refer to ASM2 as a "bomb" or "disappointment", that doesn't mean it didn't make bank at the box office, it just means they felt let down by the quality of the film aesthetically ~ but I suspect you already know that @SolitaireRose‌ I haven't seen it yet, but the reviews are a mixed bag.

Now if it's business or industry insiders saying it was a disappointment, then they may be comparing it to the previous installment (ASM) or even Sam Raimi's Spider-Man 3 which performed much better financially bringing in $336,530,303 in the US and $890,871,626 globally. And that was 7 years ago.

For what it's worth, ASM 2 had a reported budget of $200m, so it BARELY made it's budget back with the domestic gross, and that's gross, not net. Who knows how much was spent in overseas marketing, etc, and what the global net was?
  • Options

NERDS WIN!
  • Options
    Not to derail the movie talk, but has anyone else noticed that youngsters are wearing Rosaries like a necklace?
    I want to ask them if they know what they're wearing, but I have a feeling that they won't care. Kind of like if they know where sagging came from and the meaning behind it.
  • Options

I completely agree. We live in a "golden age" for sure. I think when people refer to ASM2 as a "bomb" or "disappointment", that doesn't mean it didn't make bank at the box office, it just means they felt let down by the quality of the film aesthetically ~ but I suspect you already know that @SolitaireRose‌ I haven't seen it yet, but the reviews are a mixed bag.

Now if it's business or industry insiders saying it was a disappointment, then they may be comparing it to the previous installment (ASM) or even Sam Raimi's Spider-Man 3 which performed much better financially bringing in $336,530,303 in the US and $890,871,626 globally. And that was 7 years ago.
    It's the Studio, floating balloons about replacing the cast, starting over, etc. The whole "We are spinning a bunch of movies out of this" talk is completely dead, and we aren't hearing anything about ASM3 any more. The studio is sending out the message that it bombed, and they are reaching out to screenwriters for a "soft reboot" script. INsane. Just insane. You read the internal stuff from Sony, and they are talking about it like it's Batman Forever.

The movie itself? Like a lot of 2nd and 3rd super-hero movies, too damn many villains, feeling like two movies slammed together (if the movie ended with Electro being defeated, it would have been a decent enough movie).

• Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131

It's the Studio, floating balloons about replacing the cast, starting over, etc. The whole "We are spinning a bunch of movies out of this" talk is completely dead, and we aren't hearing anything about ASM3 any more. The studio is sending out the message that it bombed, and they are reaching out to screenwriters for a "soft reboot" script. INsane. Just insane. You read the internal stuff from Sony, and they are talking about it like it's Batman Forever.

The movie itself? Like a lot of 2nd and 3rd super-hero movies, too damn many villains, feeling like two movies slammed together (if the movie ended with Electro being defeated, it would have been a decent enough movie).

I wouldn't mind a soft reboot with a one, Miles Morales, taking over. I hate how Ultimatum when down, but I've loved MM since his introduction. I'm sure Rush Windbaugh would have more to say about that than Bond.
  • Options
    fredzilla said:

I wouldn't mind a soft reboot with a one, Miles Morales, taking over. I hate how Ultimatum when down, but I've loved MM since his introduction. I'm sure Rush Windbaugh would have more to say about that than Bond.
    I really think, at the end of the day, Ultimatum and the jump to $3.99 with the return of the books killed the Ultimate Universe. Miles is a GREAT character (although I am not happy with the return of Peter Parker) and I hope he makes it out of the Ultimate Universe when it ends this summer.

• Options

So, The Interview was cancelled. Was anyone here actually going to see it?

Wasn't interested.

I've entertained the possibility that all this mess was actually Sony's elaborate way of "deep sixing" the movie because they had a bomb in their hands. Extremely unlikely, I know, but that would be a more interesting movie to me.

Kind of like a 21st century "The Producers" - could be great in the hands of the right director.
    I don't think they had a bomb. Hell, I'd think Franco and Rogen would have goodwill after This is the End, which was awesome.

But hey, Spider-Man stuff might take place due to all this. So... comic-related?
    I agree.

Not quite off-topic, but these experts say it is "highly unlikely" that North Korea was involved in the Sony hacking... hmmmmmmm.....

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/sony-hack-skeptics,news-20037.html
    First - I wasn't going to see it since I don't find Seth Rogan's humor my thing. However, I have heard from different sources that Sony thought it would be huge, since it was testing well..well enough they moved it to Christmas from October.

Second, I have heard that they are saying it WAS North Korea behind it, as of this morning on my way to work.

Third, back in 2004 when Team America came out, Kim Jong Il threatened retaliation and attacks and we ignored it. As we should have. The hacking was Sony not having decent security, not some massive terrorist plot.
    This whole thing would've been a lot more interesting if...

1) the movie was a sharp satire on the politics of a communist dictatorship compared to America, or at least as good as 'Team America'
    2) the movie had turned out to actually be something slightly higher brow than Seth Rogan's butt jokes
    3) John Milus had been the director ensuring that there would have been no Sony capitulation whatsoever.

• Options
    I just realized Bueno Excellante has not shown up in the New52.

Must be why I don't like that universe.
  • Options

So, The Interview was cancelled. Was anyone here actually going to see it?

Wasn't interested.

I've entertained the possibility that all this mess was actually Sony's elaborate way of "deep sixing" the movie because they had a bomb in their hands. Extremely unlikely, I know, but that would be a more interesting movie to me.

Kind of like a 21st century "The Producers" - could be great in the hands of the right director.
    I don't think they had a bomb. Hell, I'd think Franco and Rogen would have goodwill after This is the End, which was awesome.

But hey, Spider-Man stuff might take place due to all this. So... comic-related?
    I agree.

Not quite off-topic, but these experts say it is "highly unlikely" that North Korea was involved in the Sony hacking... hmmmmmmm.....

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/sony-hack-skeptics,news-20037.html
    First - I wasn't going to see it since I don't find Seth Rogan's humor my thing. However, I have heard from different sources that Sony thought it would be huge, since it was testing well..well enough they moved it to Christmas from October.

Second, I have heard that they are saying it WAS North Korea behind it, as of this morning on my way to work.

Third, back in 2004 when Team America came out, Kim Jong Il threatened retaliation and attacks and we ignored it. As we should have. The hacking was Sony not having decent security, not some massive terrorist plot.
    This whole thing would've been a lot more interesting if...

1) the movie was a sharp satire on the politics of a communist dictatorship compared to America, or at least as good as 'Team America'
    2) the movie had turned out to actually be something slightly higher brow than Seth Rogan's butt jokes
    3) John Milus had been the director ensuring that there would have been no Sony capitulation whatsoever.

It's funny because the whole situation was clearly about an outsized response to a minor insult. I watched the movie. I liked it for the most part, but it was exactly what I expected it to be, a stoner bromance gross-out comedy. Not the best, not their best. But I don't think that they were trying to do anything else when they were making it.

The funny part is, no one would have cared about any of it if North Korea had just ignored it.