Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Random Bits Not Worthy of their Own Thread...

Comments

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    rebis said:

This may be sacrilege, but I'm warming to Vince Colletta's inks over Kirby on Thor. I can't say the same for other titles. For example, I picked up Giant Size Defenders #4 (Defenders vs. Squadron Sinister. Love the cover) only to discover Colletta over Don Heck. REALLY hard to look at. I haven't been able to read it.

No, it's not sacrilege. You're not the only one. Colletta's inking on Thor gave Kirby a rougher, less slick look that fit well with the fantasy elements of the book. And he prettied up the women’s faces, which is fine considering he was drawing goddesses. The only real negative was that Colletta often erased the background pencils in some panels rather than inking them, though occasionally he actually helped the panel read better, so it wasn't always a bad thing (though it wasn't his decision to make). It was a case of one of the few instances where Colletta put in a consistent effort in every issue.
  • Options
    TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    WetRats said:

God forbid the Hall of Fame induction ceremonies should actually honor the inductees.

My guess is Junior Seau will probably be honored during the ceremony. Just spitballing.

• Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    My big problem with the Seau mess is that his family didn't find out they couldn't speak until July 9th. I believe it was his daughter who had been working on a speech for five months only to find out recently it was all for nothing.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    rebis said:

This may be sacrilege, but I'm warming to Vince Colletta's inks over Kirby on Thor. I can't say the same for other titles. For example, I picked up Giant Size Defenders #4 (Defenders vs. Squadron Sinister. Love the cover) only to discover Colletta over Don Heck. REALLY hard to look at. I haven't been able to read it.

It's really hard to make Kirby look bad... but Colletta really did seem to dull the work of just about anybody's art. Especially Heck, who had such a nice crisp inking style of his own that was seldom employed. I was often disappointed by picking up a book drawn by any of my favorite artists only to discover that they were being inked by Colletta.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,617
    My wife said lavalantula was an entertaining scify movie. My brother inlaw was watching sharknado 3 last night, and it never got changed. The little bit I saw was fun.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

WetRats said:

God forbid the Hall of Fame induction ceremonies should actually honor the inductees.

My guess is Junior Seau will probably be honored during the ceremony. Just spitballing.
    How much honor is there in snubbing his family?

Seems more like the NFL making money* from him one last time.

*I presume people are charged admission to the ceremony and advertisements are sold.
  • Options
    Secret Warriors

I started reading the series as soon as it was released following Secret Invasion. I enjoyed it but quit as soon as Bendis left..I mean, who was this no-name Hickman guy anyway? Hickman is now my favorite writer and so I decided to go back and read the series. I'm 15 issues in and it's great. I highly recommend it for anyone who hasn't read it. Oh, and it's a toned down Hickman - for those of you who don't care for his mind bending stories.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    edited July 2015
    Anyone familiar with Larime Taylor? He's a disabled comic creator born with Arthrogryposis, a congenital defect that leaves him with little use of his arms and legs. Writing and art are all He has as far as job skills, so making comic books is his only marketable option. His wife is now struggling with cancer and he needs to raise money for her care
    http://larime.tumblr.com/post/72573345458/so-i-need-your-help

This should interest fans of “A Voice in the Dark” and supporters of the creator, Larime Taylor. While the Image comic hasn’t been out in a while, there is a reason for it. Larime’s wife, Sylv, has cancer. They moved to Las Vegas a little while back to be closer to family, and shortly after discovered Sylv Taylor has ovarian cancer.

If you are unfamiliar with Larime and Sylv Taylor, they are artists who are both disabled, who were the creators of the fantastic book, A Voice in the Dark. Larime wrote and drew (with his mouth) the book, while Sylv was providing the color art for the covers.

Larime has set up a Gofundme fund raiser to help raise $10,000 to help pay for Sylv’s medical treatment.

http://www.gofundme.com/sylvsfund

To help raise the funds, he has slashed the prices of his original art prices to meet the goal.

His prices are:
    I’ve opened up digital commissions for art!
    Head sketches of any character (TV, comics, movies, books, even your own – or you!) are $20.
    Detailed sketches are $40.
    Shaded sketches are $60.
    You can see samples here: http://larimetaylor.com/?p=433
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    A bit of a rant.

I'm a bit of a kitchen nerd. However, I have no respect for things like electric skillets & slow cookers. To me they're a waste of cabinet and pantry space. Just things that lazy people give for wedding gifts.
    Unfortunately, my wife loves this crap and uses them whenever she can.

The problem is that we have this unwritten rule. When I cook, I clean up. When she cooks, I clean up.

it's not a rule, really. it's that she lets stuff sit for a while and it drives me nuts.

I hate cleaning those pieces of crap.

Rant over.
  • Options
    rebis said:

A bit of a rant.

I'm a bit of a kitchen nerd. However, I have no respect for things like electric skillets & slow cookers. To me they're a waste of cabinet and pantry space. Just things that lazy people give for wedding gifts.

The problem is that we have this unwritten rule. When I cook, I clean up. When she cooks, I clean up.

it's not a rule, really. it's that she lets stuff sit for a while and it drives me nuts.

Rant over.

I don't like electric skillets (though it is a good way to make sausage or chipped beef gravy if you have to feed a lot of people), but I do like a slow cooker. It's great to be able to set something up (like a pork butt) before heading off to work, and have it ready to eat when you get home. The trick is to get one where the bowl comes out of the cooker. Then it's no problem to clean at all.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    I'll defend a slow cooker, but an electric skillet needs to go. It's in the same category as an electric smoker.

Edit: I love cooking with cast iron. Those skillets are the best.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    It's tough nearly every day to be a Rockies fan. Today is especially difficult.
  • Options
    fredzilla said:

It's especially difficult when a known quantity like Tulo is traded for prospects. However, the Rockies were going to finish last with Tulo, so ...
  • Options

rebis said:

A bit of a rant.

Rant over.

I don't like electric skillets (though it is a good way to make sausage or chipped beef gravy if you have to feed a lot of people), but I do like a slow cooker. It's great to be able to set something up (like a pork butt) before heading off to work, and have it ready to eat when you get home. The trick is to get one where the bowl comes out of the cooker. Then it's no problem to clean at all.
    I've been curious about these slow cookers with inserts. Are the inserts sturdy enough that you could use it on a burner and brown meat in it? If so, I might change my mind on their use.
  • Options
    fredzilla said:

Its a little like the Barves trading Kimbrel; only with a little more sting.

At least with the Barves trading their closer we all knew you dont need a great closer if you aren't mqking a legitimate run at the playoffs (winning your division and not sqieaking into the play in gam, which the arves won't be doing this year
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    rebis said:

I've been curious about these slow cookers with inserts. Are the inserts sturdy enough that you could use it on a burner and brown meat in it? If so, I might change my mind on their use.

A really good slow-cooker/crock pot will have a sturdy ceramic bowl you can take out of the heating unit and clean (by hand usually but you can pop it in the dishwasher if you have one). I don't know about putting it on a burner...but it could probably be done in theory.

They're great for things like enchiladas or tacos where you can pop a small roast in and let it cook for the day, then pretty much the meat will shred itself to put into a tortilla.

• Options
    Torchsong said:

rebis said:

A really good slow-cooker/crock pot will have a sturdy ceramic bowl you can take out of the heating unit and clean (by hand usually but you can pop it in the dishwasher if you have one). I don't know about putting it on a burner...but it could probably be done in theory.

They're great for things like enchiladas or tacos where you can pop a small roast in and let it cook for the day, then pretty much the meat will shred itself to put into a tortilla.

Understood. However, I'm one that believes meats should be browned before turned over to the gentle embrace of a low heat. I feel it builds more flavor. If I can't brown meat in the ceramic insert then I would rather keep with my enameled or plain cast iron pot.
  • Options
    rebis said:

rebis said:

A bit of a rant.

Rant over.

The one I have is heavy ceramic. I suppose you could put it on a burner, but I don't know how well it would work. It would definitely work in an oven. But if I'm doing a big piece of meat, I'll broil it on all sides until it just starts to brown, then I'll throw it in the crock. That way the flavor is sealed in, and the meat is extremely tender.
  • Options
    I'm partial to a good sear, myself. Develop a crust, create a fond.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    rebis said:

Torchsong said:

rebis said:

Understood. However, I'm one that believes meats should be browned before turned over to the gentle embrace of a low heat. I feel it builds more flavor. If I can't brown meat in the ceramic insert then I would rather keep with my enameled or plain cast iron pot.
    Most slow cooker recipes I've seen call for the meat to be browned or seared prior to being placed in the crock pot. A hassle with extra dished but a good idea for the food quality.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    I love Kyle Baker comics. His plastic man is pretty great

In other Baker news it looks like ex-NBA star Vin Baker is putting his life back together
  • Options
    random73 said:

rebis said:

Torchsong said:

rebis said:

Most slow cooker recipes I've seen call for the meat to be browned or seared prior to being placed in the crock pot. A hassle with extra dished but a good idea for the food quality.
    Which is why I was asking if the ceramic insert could be used on a range top.
  • Options

Dynamite and Groupees is getting together a third time to offer up a charity bundle of digital comics. This time the bundle contains 70 digital comics from the theme of Swords, Sandals and Sorcery. Plus, there will be a ‘Premium Mystery Box’ for those that pledge $50 or higher. Portion of the proceeds will go to the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund. The bundle promotion begins today, Tuesday, July 28th, on the website

I ordered the $10, which actually contains at least 15 complete arcs, from Red Sonja, Jungle Girl, Warlord of Mars, Dresden Files, Swords of Sorrow, Thunda, Blackbeard, and several others (all of the ones listed below).

Check out the deal here: https://groupees.com/dynamite3

Their "Pay What You Want" model works simply, you start at $1.00 and you get a few comics, the more you pay the more books you get with their being $5 and $10 tiers up to the $50 tier that includes the mystery box. Also, the top 10 contributors will receive an extra reward (all dollar values are at Dynamite’s MSRP).

There are additional books that will be unlocked as the promotion goes based on sales. This offer ends in two weeks.

The $1.00 Minimum Tier contains a total of 13 comics:

Game Of Thrones #1
    Swords Of Sorrow: Chaos Prelude One Shot
    Thulsa Doom #1 – 4
    Blackbeard #1 – 6
    Lord of the Jungle Annual #1

The $5.00 Minimum Tier features 27 additional comics:

Game Of Thrones #2
    Thunda #1 – 5
    Warlord Of Mars #0
    Swords Of Sorrow: Vampirella / Jennifer Blood #1 – 2
    Swords Of Sorrow: Masquerade/Kato One Shot
    Swords Of Sorrow: Dejah Thoris/Irene Adler #1 – 2
    Swords Of Sorrow: Lady Zorro/Black Sparrow One Shot
    Athena #1 – 4
    Red Sonja #0
    Kirby: Genesis – Dragons Bane #1 – 4
    Jungle Girl: Season Two #1 – 5

$10.00 Tier features an additional 29 comics:

Dejah Thoris #1 – 5
    John Carter: Warlord Of Mars #1 – 6
    Red Sonja #36 – 40
    Pathfinder City of Secrets #1 – 6
    Swords of Sorrow #1 – 3
    Dresden Files: Storm Front Volume Two #1 – 4

• Options
    Anyone ever read that Star Trek meets the Legion of Super Heroes crossover from a couple of years ago?

If so, was it any good?

• Options
    rebis said:

random73 said:

rebis said:

Torchsong said:

rebis said:

Which is why I was asking if the ceramic insert could be used on a range top.
    AND, DON'T GET ME STARTED ON PASTA SPOONS!

just kidding. ;)
  • Options
    Never really thought about it, but man, has Chris Evans been in a lot of movies based on comics:

Fantastic Four
    TMNT
    FF2
    The Losers
    Scott Pilgrim
    All his MCU appearances (6 so far according to IMDB)
    Snowpiercer

That's 12, in 6 different properties.

Anyone else even come close? Is Evans the true king of comic book movies?
  • Options

Never really thought about it, but man, has Chris Evans been in a lot of movies based on comics:

Fantastic Four
    TMNT
    FF2
    The Losers
    Scott Pilgrim
    All his MCU appearances (6 so far according to IMDB)
    Snowpiercer

That's 12, in 6 different properties.

Anyone else even come close? Is Evans the true king of comic book movies?

Stan Lee :)

• Options
    New Humble Bundle: Includes Wicked & The Divine, Black Metal, much more. Music and comics based.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794

Anyone ever read that Star Trek meets the Legion of Super Heroes crossover from a couple of years ago?

If so, was it any good?

I dug it, but I'm a big Legion and Trek fan so it'd be hard NOT to like it in my book.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Torchsong said:

If so, was it any good?

I dug it, but I'm a big Legion and Trek fan so it'd be hard NOT to like it in my book.
    It was fun.

I wouldn't call it great, but it was clever.

There were some very nice "easter eggs".