Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Random Bits Not Worthy of their Own Thread...

Comments

• Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    WetRats said:

Torchsong said:

As someone who once worked for a Nascar die-cast car company in direct sales, who had to deal with daily phone calls from Nascar die-hards who wanted to know when the next Dale Earnhardt or Dale Jarrett car was coming out or did I know that Jeff Gordon was a wife-swapping atheist for what he did at Talledega this year and how much of a sumbitch I was for making such limited editions of these cars which they planned to use as a retirement fund or to put their grandkids through college on...

Damn.

To quote @David_D: Respect.
    It was the ideal job while I was going back to night school. Your hours were set, the pay was actually really good considering how little they asked of you, and once they figured out I knew how to work a computer I was off the phones and working with internet customer service. Which was even less strenuous.

I don't begrudge the job itself, but the clientele just made me wince. There really were old people sinking their retirement into limited edition replicas of NASCAR cars because they felt it was a good investment to pay for their grandkid's college. I wanted to weep openly, suggest maybe a good stock or mutual fund that would appreciate over ten years might be a better route to take...but then again, I collect funnybooks. What the hell do I know?!? :)
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Torchsong said:

WetRats said:

Torchsong said:

As someone who once worked for a Nascar die-cast car company in direct sales, who had to deal with daily phone calls from Nascar die-hards who wanted to know when the next Dale Earnhardt or Dale Jarrett car was coming out or did I know that Jeff Gordon was a wife-swapping atheist for what he did at Talledega this year and how much of a sumbitch I was for making such limited editions of these cars which they planned to use as a retirement fund or to put their grandkids through college on...

Damn.

To quote @David_D: Respect.
    It was the ideal job while I was going back to night school. Your hours were set, the pay was actually really good considering how little they asked of you, and once they figured out I knew how to work a computer I was off the phones and working with internet customer service. Which was even less strenuous.

I don't begrudge the job itself, but the clientele just made me wince. There really were old people sinking their retirement into limited edition replicas of NASCAR cars because they felt it was a good investment to pay for their grandkid's college. I wanted to weep openly, suggest maybe a good stock or mutual fund that would appreciate over ten years might be a better route to take...but then again, I collect funnybooks. What the hell do I know?!? :)
    I worked in the print shop of a predatory loan company sending out mail targeting military families. Talk about wincing.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    Fellas, I think this may be the start of a new thread: bad jobs you've had.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    fredzilla said:

Fellas, I think this may be the start of a new thread: bad jobs you've had.

Sad thing was it was a great job.
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    Back in HS I did work at a movie theater for around a month. I decided to quit when they fired me
  • Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457

HBO has nabbed to rights to Sesame Street. New episodes will now premiere on HBO first. PBS will still retain broadcasting rights, but they won't be able to show the new material until nine months after HBO premieres it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/style-blog/wp/2015/08/13/hbo-gets-sesame-street-for-the-next-five-seasons-dont-freak-out-pbs-will-still-have-the-show-too/

• Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,617
    Crappy weather, choppy seas, and one king (mackerel) caught in 2 trips made for a sorry Friday/Saturday fishing.

All I got was beat up and worn out. On the bright no one (even
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,882

HBO has nabbed to rights to Sesame Street. New episodes will now premiere on HBO first. PBS will still retain broadcasting rights, but they won't be able to show the new material until nine months after HBO premieres it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/style-blog/wp/2015/08/13/hbo-gets-sesame-street-for-the-next-five-seasons-dont-freak-out-pbs-will-still-have-the-show-too/

Thanks for that. Glad to see the Post's coverage is looking to counter some of the clickbait-mongering hysterical coverage that some other outlets ran with. I feel like the (intentionally?) poor way this was initially reported led to a lot of the negativity and pushback i saw on social media about this.

The fact is, when DVD sales dried up, the future of Sesame Street, which is likely not an inexpensive show to make, was in trouble. This HBO deal insures there will be, at least, five more years of new Sesame Street being made, and increases their order per season.

A lot of places bent over backwards to try to make this a story about privilidge. That the children of the rich will be getting the new Sesame Street and everyone else will now have to wait.

Maybe this is just anecdotal to my experience, but that seemed like a misunderstanding of how people watch that show. I grew up with Sesame Street, and have now shown it to both my children. You know what they, and I, never seem to be aware of or notice? If the episode is brand new. I have no idea when new seasons start, or when we tune into an episode that is on PBS, or, more often, pick one off of On Demand, or watch some clips off the PBS Kids app, there is never a moment where I know or care how hot and fresh it is. The content could be a week old or five years old. Who cares? It's not Breaking Bad, you know what I mean?

Sure, pedagogy changes over time. I can understand, as an educator, why- as much as I love the really old Sesame Street- that some of that content has not kept up with current knowledge about learning, and so there is a reason why to keep making more Sesame Street and to keep the pedagogy current.

But what we know about preschool learners is not going to change within a 9 month window. I just don't see that brief window between the HBO airing and regular PBS airing as compelling. And I doubt most viewers going to care either. I mean, if your kids are at the point where they are aware of what season it is, then they have probably aged out of the demo, you know what I mean?

I see this as a win for Sesame Workshop. And for all parents, current and future, who want to have SS for their kids.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    PBS ought to do this with all of their programming, they would probably thrive. But by implementing such a 'Capitalist' strategy to survive, they might expect some push back from their most ardent supporters of the non-profit. I'm sure some people have wondered if they will continue to accept the same amount of taxpayer funding in light of this new deal with HBO.
  • Options

PBS ought to do this with all of their programming, they would probably thrive. But by implementing such a 'Capitalist' strategy to survive, they might expect some push back from their most ardent supporters of the non-profit. I'm sure some people have wondered if they will continue to accept the same amount of taxpayer funding in light of this new deal with HBO.

At the moment, they barely take any public funding.

As per an interview with Sesame Workshop CEO Jeff Dunn, PBS was providing less than 10% of the funding for Sesame Street.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    I also wouldn't suggest that all PBS programming depend upon being able to do in the market what an outlier like Sesame Street was able to do. Sesame Street was able to come to the table for that HBO deal with decades of success as a show and as a brand with a huge cultural cache.

Also, PBS doesn't own them, nor was PBS making the deal for Sesame Street. Individual entities on PBS would need to make their own deals for the content they make and own, as Sesame Workshop did.
  • Options
    Still,
    David_D said:

barely take any public funding

≠ accepting public funding.

Also, PBS still gets the Sesame Street episodes when HBO has aired them. Twice as many, in fact.

• Options
    NPR did some really good coverage of the deal Friday morning. It sounded like a win-win for hbo, sesame street and pbs.
    They also made the joke about having 100% more topless muppets (is that the correct term for sesame street puppets).
  • Options
    edited August 2015

Still,

David_D said:

barely take any public funding

≠ accepting public funding.

Also, PBS still gets the Sesame Street episodes when HBO has aired them. Twice as many, in fact.

Yes, I mentioned that, too, that there would be a bigger season order.

My understanding is that PBS will still pay to air Sesame Street episodes. I am not sure if they will pay more or less than they used to. But, again, PBS does not own Sesame Street, and I believe they are only a partial producer. The HBO funding is to be another partial producer, in return for the window they get.

But my main point is that it is little enough money being spent, especially relative to the return on investment, for me to care. If PBS is still paying money to get to air Sesame Street, then that is money well spent.

I think the idea that taxpayers are spending too much on Big Bird is an old canard. And largely is the kind of thing meant to draw attention away from the kinds of enormous expenditures on other things that people tend to not want to talk about. Misdirection.
  • Options
    To add onto what David said, PBS is not a content maker, but a content provider (that has changed a little in the last 10 years, but still holds mostly true). PBS just pays production companies to air content not to produce/own it.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    David_D said:

I think the idea that taxpayers are spending too much on Big Bird is an old canard. And largely is the kind of thing meant to draw attention away from the kinds of enormous expenditures on other things that people tend to not want to talk about. Misdirection.

PBS has been providing a substantial percentage of the funding for Sesame Street, so many will wonder how that might change - in light of this new arrangement with HBO. I didn't say PBS was spending too much on Big Bird, nor did i suggest they should spend nothing. I only surmised that there might be some unhappy PBS supporters reacting to this clearly capitalist solution to Sesame Street's financial struggles. HBO is certainly not a non-profit and isn't doing this for goodwill.

It isn't being unkind to have some interest in those details.

• Options
    edited August 2015

David_D said:

PBS has been providing a substantial percentage of the funding for Sesame Street, so many will wonder how that might change - in light of this new arrangement with HBO. I didn't say PBS was spending too much on Big Bird, nor did i suggest they should spend nothing. I only surmised that there might be some unhappy PBS supporters reacting to this clearly capitalist solution to Sesame Street's financial struggles. HBO is certainly not a non-profit and isn't doing this for goodwill.

It isn't being unkind to have some interest in those details.

Well. I hope that hypothetical PBS-Supporter-Who-Donated-to-PBS-Specifically-For-The-Less-Than-10%-Of-The-Funding-PBS-Spent-On-Making-Sesame-Street-And-Saw-Their-Donation-As-Buying-First-Run-Access-To-Sesame-Street-And-Now-Feels-Cheated will feel better soon.

Maybe they can be sent an extra tote bag. And inside of it, they can put some spreadsheets about what making Sesame Street actually costs, and how little a part of that pie their donation was. And, if their main interest is in supporting Sesame Street and wanting it to continue, then they will get it. (And probably, they already do.)
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    You seem very upset David. Does this happen every time someone expresses a perspective you don't share? Seems like the only correct response is agreeing and acquiescing.

Plenty of big donors supporting non profits out there. Not really at the tote bag level.

Everyone would like courtesy and respect from those who dispute their policy preferences, but when questioned, some accuse reasonable dissenters of being stupid or dishonest — or worse.

• Options
    edited August 2015

You seem very upset David. Does this happen every time someone expresses a perspective you don't share? Seems like the only correct response is agreeing and acquiescing.

Plenty of big donors supporting non profits out there. Not really at the tote bag level.

Everyone would like courtesy and respect from those who dispute their policy preferences, but when questioned, some accuse reasonable dissenters of being stupid or dishonest — or worse.

Let me get this straight-- you are taking offense of my strongly dismissing the point of view of the hypothetical PBS donor you presented?

You made a point of telling us what you didn't say and didn't suggest, and instead presented this hypothetical person who could somehow feel that they are being wronged by this. If I dismissed that hypothetical person's point of view too sharply, please say sorry to the pretend person for me.

In the meantime, if you have a perspective of your own to put forward, why YOU think this is good or bad, from your own point of view as a PBS supporter, or viewer, or taxpayer, or whatever, then go for it. I would have not responded to you speaking for yourself in the same way.

However, if this is not about your own point of view, and you are just going to prop up the points of view of hypothetical people to keep an argument going, and then seem hurt by how those imagined points of view are being dismissed... then I would rather skip to the end of all the back and forths where you tell us you didn't care in the first place, like some past discussions. Happy to just save some time that way.

PS- And, regarding hypothetical donors, if we are talking about the Koch Brothers level of donation, if someone didn't want Sesame Workshop to make a deal with HBO, then they should have written a bigger check. And, given that SW is a non-profit, that means that this was done with the approval of their board, which is probably where their biggest group of donors is.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    I had no idea Sesame Street had "seasons" in the first place. I figured they just cranked out new episodes and put them in rotation with the old stuff as they got funded.

I mean, sure, a lot of the animation and clothing on the kids may be a bit out-of-date with what's out there today, but the educational content still holds. Kind of like Schoolhouse Rock. I still sing my multiplication tables sometimes. Then they ask me to get off the bus because I'm scaring the other passengers. :)
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Torchsong said:

I had no idea Sesame Street had "seasons" in the first place. I figured they just cranked out new episodes and put them in rotation with the old stuff as they got funded.

I mean, sure, a lot of the animation and clothing on the kids may be a bit out-of-date with what's out there today, but the educational content still holds. Kind of like Schoolhouse Rock. I still sing my multiplication tables sometimes. Then they ask me to get off the bus because I'm scaring the other passengers. :)

Well when the other passengers are 8 years old...

Yellow Buses are for little kids TS
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    David_D said:

regarding hypothetical donors

The ample length of your replies belies stated feelings. Sesame Street has been losing money, PBS was not able to make up the difference, so Sesame Workshop was forced to cut back on the number of episodes it produced and the creation of other new material.

I didn't name names of those that were upset over this deal. You can Google these quotes if you like, or keep pretending that those "upset supporters" are all hypothetical.

“it makes me sad we’re privatizing a national treasure originally aimed at educating poor kids”

Caroll Spinney, the man behind the newsworthy yellow guy and Oscar the Grouch, makes $314,072 a year!

as Sesame Street has taught for so long, feelings matter too. And however well the decision works practically, in principle it feels gross.

Sesame Street goes to HBO, damaging one of the last few truly good things in the world

Public broadcasters today react to any threat to their funding by raising the possibility that Sesame Street would be forced to fend for itself. But if there's anything on PBS that can cover its costs independently, it's Sesame Street.

Somewhere today, Mitt Romney is smiling.
    I don't have a problem with the deal with HBO. It makes perfect sense. The show was struggling with a drop in DVD and merchandise sales and their on-demand service wasn't profitable. Who cares if a show that teaches kids how to count, spell, colors, etc. is broadcasting episodes that are brand-new or several months old?
    David_D said:

regarding hypothetical donors, if we are talking about the Koch Brothers level of donation, if someone didn't want Sesame Workshop to make a deal with HBO, then they should have written a bigger check. And, given that SW is a non-profit, that means that this was done with the approval of their board, which is probably where their biggest group of donors is.

Speaking of the Koch brothers, you were aware that David Koch is on the board of trustees of PBS (WGBH).
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Re: @bralinator

I never said I didn't care. Or that there aren't people out there who are upset. In fact, my very first post on this is about the fact that there is a lot of negativity out there about this. I, personally, feel that some of that is misguided. And I explained why *I* think this deal is actually a good thing.

The difference is that I don't care to debate with points of view who aren't in the conversation to speak for themselves. I am not interested in arguing with the points you may be making on their behalf. Because life is too short for discussion as a role-playing game. If we are going to spend time doing that, then I want to be an illiterate halfling who has never heard of Sesame Street because he has been too busy being a pirate. That sounds like more fun than arguing with quotes you found online.

As for your own feelings on it, now that you've gotten around to those? That's simple, I agree with you.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    David_D said:

I agree with you

I'm not clear exactly where this discussion got off the rails. I found it to be a good arrangement for PBS from the first time I responded.

• Options
    David_D said:

Re: @bralinator

I never said I didn't care. Or that there aren't people out there who are upset. In fact, my very first post on this is about the fact that there is a lot of negativity out there about this. I, personally, feel that some of that is misguided. And I explained why *I* think this deal is actually a good thing.

The difference is that I don't care to debate with points of view who aren't in the conversation to speak for themselves. I am not interested in arguing with the points you may be making on their behalf. Because life is too short for discussion as a role-playing game. If we are going to spend time doing that, then I want to be an illiterate halfling who has never heard of Sesame Street because he has been too busy being a pirate. That sounds like more fun than arguing with quotes you found online.

As for your own feelings on it, now that you've gotten around to those? That's simple, I agree with you.

Speaking of roleplaying humblebundle has a pretty good sale on end comics this week. As a first time reader of of the old DC comics, they are not that great at all. Not terrible but definitely not great.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Does this mean full frontal muppet nudity and f-bombs? Oh I hope so.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Does this mean full frontal muppet nudity and f-bombs? Oh I hope so.

That was my first thought.
  • Options
    C'mon, it is the home of Fraggle Rock, after all.