Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Random Bits Not Worthy of their Own Thread...

Comments

• Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    WetRats said:

Torchsong said:

Eight more Sundays and we get football back... :)

They still play that?
    Well, the Saints have all but gutted their team and brought in all new players...so it's up in the air right now whether or not they "play" the game...but I remain faithful. :)
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,617
    Torchsong said:

WetRats said:

Torchsong said:

They still play that?
    Well, the Saints have all but gutted their team and brought in all new players...so it's up in the air right now whether or not they "play" the game...but I remain faithful. :)
    We're like abused spouses
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    mwhitt80 said:

Torchsong said:

WetRats said:

Torchsong said:

They still play that?
    Too soon?

Probably.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
  • Options
    Evening639Evening639 Posts: 368
    edited July 2015
    Torchsong said:

This will be a sad season for me. As a Jacksonville Jaguars fan, it will feel odd to begin a season without Curtis Dvorak as Jaxson De Ville. Now who will make offensive topical jokes during games or shove birthday cakes in obnoxious Texans fans' faces? Dvorak's replacement has some pretty big shoes to fill.

• Options
    fredzilla said:

mwhitt80 said:

Torchsong said:

WetRats said:

Torchsong said:

They still play that?
    Too soon?

Probably.
    Whitt's a Falcons fan. We're usually at each other's throats during the fall/winter months, particularly the two times each season the 'Aint's play the Dirty Birds. :)
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited July 2015
    I can't wait until I get to watch AP, who whips his son's body with a switch, score TDs for my team. Go Vikes, yay...
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

fredzilla said:

mwhitt80 said:

Torchsong said:

WetRats said:

Torchsong said:

They still play that?
    Too soon?

Probably.
    Whitt's a Falcons fan. We're usually at each other's throats during the fall/winter months, particularly the two times each season the 'Aint's play the Dirty Birds. :)
    I get it, but my comment was more about your metaphor and the NFL's problem with confronting domestic violence problems with its players. #rayrice

Never mind me. Just being cheeky.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,617
    edited July 2015
    I was thinking it there with you Fred. Autocorrect

The falcons are considering if they should resign Julio Jones. Now I'm no expert but it seems like that might want to keep him
    Edit: what the heck did my phone do?
  • Options
    Most Saints players have the good taste to wait until they're off the team before being brought up on abuse or rape charges. It's a Southern thing - decorum must be maintained. :)
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Fun fact: The chord progression for the theme song of Steven Universe (a really cool show, by the way) is almost exactly the same as Radiohead’s “Creep.” The only difference is the second chord in the theme is B7 as opposed to “Creep”’s Bmaj. Not only does the B7 add a little dissonance to the song, but it is also a much easier chord to play on the ukulele (the main instrument of the theme song) than a Bmaj.

Fun fact 2: “Creep” sounds pretty cool when played on the banjo.
  • Options
    popestupopestu Posts: 782
    I hqvenonidea what this conversation is about. I know Radiohead, creep, and banjo.
  • Options
    I hqvenonidea either.

;D
  • Options
    Despite the fact he's polling #1? Interesting.
  • Options
    RepoManRepoMan Posts: 327
    edited July 2015
    Polling... oh boy. 1000 people are polled and that's supposed to be the benchmark? No way. Besides, the average of polls gives it to Bush. Which is just as scary. lol
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    RepoMan said:
    I can see that.
    I have a theory that Trump is actually a Dem plant to verbalize things that the Dems accuse Rep. of saying all the time.
    I bet he's going to say stuff like Ketchup is a vegetable and air pollution is good because it thins out the sick and elderly.
  • Options
    But, think he's a joke or not, he has officially announced he is running for president. Any news organizations that want to be taken seriously shouldn't decide, especially this early, who is and isn't worth covering. I don't like the guy but that doesn't mean I should be tickled pink because of what the HuffPost is doing. I think it sets a bad precedent.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    edited July 2015
    Like him or not, during Trump's campaign, he has made a controversial stink about the criminal elements in the illegal immigration population as well as the absurdity of military installations being prohibited from carrying firearms. And within two weeks of his bombastic rhetoric, the national media has picked up on items that fit those complaints precisely.

The murder and rape of a young Kathryn Steinle in a sanctuary city of by an illegal immigrant who had been arrested several times and had fled to SF to escape deportation. That happened on July 6. And in my hometown of Chattanooga yesterday, a terrorist killed four Marines at separate military installations while those inside had to wait on the police to arrive in order to stop the perp from shooting anyone else. Because there were no firearms allowed on the base.

Say what you will about Trump. He has admitted that he's donated to both parties, but he is at the very least a showman with balls with his finger on the pulse of what is happening. Besides, I'd much rather see a Presidential election between Donald Trump and Bernie Sanders than the yawnfest election that will take place between another Bush and another Clinton.
  • Options
    I've never viewed HuffPo as a credible news source, anymore than I do Fox News. Both wear their political leanings on their sleeves.

That said, I'm on Trump's side here. If HuffPo expects to be taken seriously they need to cover ALL candidates. No matter how badly they want another Bush-Clinton matchup in the Super Bowl, they need to cover Trump, Sanders, and anyone else who throws their hat in the ring.

It's called unbiased journalism, and it's all but dead now.
  • Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    edited July 2015
    @ Bralinator, Kathryn Steinle was allegedly killed by an illegal immigrant Juan Francisco Lopez-Sanchez; she wasn't raped by him.
    Trump's words were controversial not because there is an element of truth to them, but because he applied his blanket statement to an entire population, the majority of whom don't fit that stereotype.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuxsuzdHNLo
  • Options
    This comes to mind every time I see him on television, but WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED TO JOHN KERRY'S FACE?
  • Options

@ Bralinator, Kathryn Steinle was allegedly killed by an illegal immigrant Juan Francisco Lopez-Sanchez; she wasn't raped by him.
    Trump's words were controversial not because there is an element of truth to them, but because he applied his blanket statement to an entire population, the majority of whom don't fit that stereotype.

Great points. Trump was right to bring up the topics. However, to pull out a push broom sized brush and white wash millions of people was ... stupid. It's as stupid as the policies that have brought us sanctuary cities and the refusal to deport felons.
  • Options
    RepoManRepoMan Posts: 327
    Unbiased journalism? To Trump? No thanks. Calling it out like it should be. Thankfully Edward Murrow and Dan Rather, etc were biased towards their targets.
  • Options
    edited July 2015

You are correct that Juan Francisco Lopez-Sanchez was only charged with killing Kathryn Steinle, not raping her. My mistake. For those that don't know, Juan is a Mexican immigrant who had a felony drug record going back 20 years, had been deported five times and had repeatedly sneaked back into the USA (which raises serious questions about border security that the current, polarized debate isn't addressing in a helpful way). I should have referenced the illegal immigrant that killed football player Jamiel Shaw. It was Jamiel's father who held a press conference last week to insist that Donald Trump "is telling the truth" on illegal immigration.

Trump's words certainly have upset some folks, but his reference was to illegal immigrants and a Government Accountability Office study backs him up, citing that of the 55,000 illegal aliens found that they were arrested at least 459,614 times, averaging about eight arrests per alien. About one-quarter of them had 11 or more arrests.

Ruben Navarrette Jr., writing for the Daily Beast admitted that Mexico's elite, despite displaying "outrage" at Trump's comments, frequently speak in the exact same manner and call to attention the same criminal elements at high-end golf courses and banquets.

It is likely that had Jeb or Hillary had been bearish on border security or demanding firearms be allowed on military bases right now, either one would be heralded as a political prophet with pundits on both sides of the aisle slobbering and demanding that we appoint them the next President... (hyperbole alert)

• Options

Trump's words certainly have upset some folks, but his reference was to illegal immigrants and a Government Accountability Office study backs him up, citing that of the 55,000 illegal aliens found that they were arrested at least 459,614 times, averaging about eight arrests per alien. About one-quarter of them had 11 or more arrests.

For starters, the figures you're citing actually came from a 2005 U.S Government Accountability Report. At the time that report was released, an estimated 12 million illegal immigrants lived in this country. Of the 55,000 indivuals arrested, nearly half of those individuals' charges were being in the country illegally, and only 15% were for more serious crimes. Assuming that 12 million figures is still somewhat accurate, that is in no way indicative of the vast majority of the people Trump included when he made his blanket statement. Yes, there are immigration issues that need to be addressed and sanctuary cities, such as San Francisco certainly deserve to be scrutinized. Trump's mistake wasn't that he spoke out against reform, it was that he vilified too many whose only true "crime" was being here illegally.
  • Options
    edited July 2015

Yes, there are immigration issues that need to be addressed and sanctuary cities, such as San Francisco certainly deserve to be scrutinized. Trump's mistake wasn't that he spoke out against reform, it was that he vilified too many whose only true "crime" was being here illegally.

Well, it ain't called "illegal" immigration for nothing. Sort of the same as breaking & entering...

If you don't like Trump, there is nothing I can do or link to in order to change your mind. Nor do I even care to bother to do so. Vote for Bernie or Hillary and be proud to participate in the liberty of your civic duty.

I happen to like Trump. We know he won't commit any crimes to get elected, we know he loves America, and we know he is proud and won't have a closet full of unpleasant evidence to use against him. Trump knows how to make an economics work and he is a graduate of Wharton - most of all I like his idealism.

However, I'm a libertarian, and the bottom line is that Trump is just another fortunate son, loaded with bombast and over-loaded with BS. I shave my head 2-3 times a week and know that a real "tough guy" wouldn't bother with a comb-over, he wouldn't need it. So while I think Trump's probably too clownish to be president (in my estimation), at least he's willing to say things most politicians wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole and that point alone makes his inclusion in this race valuable.

• Options
    edited July 2015

Well, it ain't called "illegal" immigration for nothing. Sort of the same as breaking & entering...

But it's not the same thing as rapist and drug user, which is where Trump's blanket statement crossed a different type of line.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    All I'm going to say about illegal immigration is that without it, the U.S. agriculture industry would've completely imploded back in the '80s. And even during the lowest point of the current recession, few Americans wanted those jobs.
  • Options

All I'm going to say about illegal immigration is that without it, the U.S. agriculture industry would've completely imploded back in the '80s. And even during the lowest point of the current recession, few Americans wanted those jobs.

Absolutely true.

Still "illegal"