Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Random Bits Not Worthy of their Own Thread...

Comments

• Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,617
    And Storyteller.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Does this mean full frontal muppet nudity and f-bombs? Oh I hope so.

George RR Martin is the new head writer.

Muppet heads will roll.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    WetRats said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

Does this mean full frontal muppet nudity and f-bombs? Oh I hope so.

George RR Martin is the new head writer.

Muppet heads will roll.
    And there'll be shitloads of eating scenes...
  • Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    I'm looking forward to finally being able to hear Count von Count uncensored.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-Wd-Q3F8KM
  • Options
    Well the hackers dumped the Ashley Madison information yesterday. Happy new credit card day for 28,800,000 men (hackers said 90%-95% of the 32 million were men).
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    edited August 2015
    Ouch. Secrets rarely stay secret forever.

This analysis of the email addresses found in the Ashley Madison data dump by hackers revealed that 15,000 are .mil. or .gov addresses.

• Options
    Its been a nutty afternoon here in btown. There was an explosion at a farm chemical plant before lunch. One person died; he was a young with 3 girls.
  • Options

This analysis of the email addresses found in the Ashley Madison data dump by hackers revealed that 15,000 are .mil. or .gov addresses.

Hopefully no govt. Issued credit cards were used. But I'm sure that hope is in vain
  • Options

.00004687 of the total.

Statistically, that rounds to zero.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    edited August 2015
    WetRats said:

.00004687 of the total.

Statistically, that rounds to zero.
    A point that will very quickly be overlooked by your local newscasters and folks that live in trailer parks.

BOO GUVMENT!
  • Options
    Just wondering if any of them were william.clinton@whitehouse.gov :)
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820

He has people for that sort of thing.
  • Options
    Have any of you gotten surveys from kickstarter asking about projects you have backed? I got one today as king about a project I backed almost 1.5 years ago. It wasn't even a big project.

I've had 3-4 projects turn into boondoggles, but over all I've had a great experience. I'm in the top 1% of kickstarter backers so I'm a good person to ask I guess.
  • Options
    I got one the other day for a pretty small one I backed. I've only had one person take the money and run w/o any explanation. A few have been significantly delayed, but the creators have been good with communication saying yes, we haven't forgotten, here's why, etc...

• Options
    edited August 2015
    I've not had a creator run off with my money yet, but I've had 2 that continually lowered the quality of the final product after the money was collected. I've had 1-2 projects that grossly underestimated the production end (time, cost, and difficulty) of a project.

You know this is going to sound bad but most of the projects that have been boondoggles have been based outside of the US.

But like I said I am in the top 1℅ of kickstarter backers so my hit to disappointment is pretty great.

@torchsong were you part of the Sullivan's Sluggers debacle? Or that guy out of Chicago that decided to burn his comic on twitter a year or so ago.
  • Options
    So...

I gave in to impulse and finally purchased the first trade volume of Skottie Young's Rocket Raccoon.

I hated it.

Reading it, I only became aware of what a jump there was between this version and the original version by Bill Mantlo, Mike Mignola and Sal Buscema, and of how I had seemed to have missed the transition somewhere over the intervening years. The original swashbuckling space fantasy hero was gone, transplanted by a homicidal asshole; I just can't connect the two, no matter how hard I try. My disappointment runs deep. I liked the movie version of Rocket, but it's just not working here.

The 'humor' often seems sophomoric and doesn't work for me -- although I did like the issue where Groot narrates the story of one of their escapades -- and I find that I like Skottie Young's work best in small doses, as in novelty covers; the two issues inked by Jake Parker are marginally better.

I have the book and it will go on the shelf... but if anyone asks me for a recommendation, I'll have to give it a Pants. And that comes from a Rocket Raccoon fan.
  • Options

Of course you were...
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Of course you were...
    I would have suggested Hillary's, but she wiped off her hard drive.
  • Options

WetRats said:

Of course you were...
    I would have suggested Hillary's, but she wiped off her hard drive.
    Of course you would have...
  • Options
    And now for your slice of morning excellence

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qCj2Z_mph0

#MadMaxGoKartPaintballWar #4K
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited August 2015

So...

I gave in to impulse and finally purchased the first trade volume of Skottie Young's Rocket Raccoon.

I hated it.

Reading it, I only became aware of what a jump there was between this version and the original version by Bill Mantlo, Mike Mignola and Sal Buscema, and of how I had seemed to have missed the transition somewhere over the intervening years. The original swashbuckling space fantasy hero was gone, transplanted by a homicidal asshole; I just can't connect the two, no matter how hard I try. My disappointment runs deep. I liked the movie version of Rocket, but it's just not working here.

The 'humor' often seems sophomoric and doesn't work for me -- although I did like the issue where Groot narrates the story of one of their escapades -- and I find that I like Skottie Young's work best in small doses, as in novelty covers; the two issues inked by Jake Parker are marginally better.

I have the book and it will go on the shelf... but if anyone asks me for a recommendation, I'll have to give it a Pants. And that comes from a Rocket Raccoon fan.

My introduction to Rocket was during the Annihilation and DnA's GotG runs. This Skottie Young book doesn't sit well with me either. I don't understand all the praise this title gets...though the art is fun.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200

I don't know about him but I'm willing to bet "Carlos Danger" had an account.

I see that child molesting Dugger kid had a couple accounts. It'll be sad, actually, to see all the people caught up in this. Real lives, families, and marriages ruined....
  • Options
    "Who are you going to believe me or that lying sunuva b**** internets."
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

I see that child molesting Dugger kid had a couple accounts. It'll be sad, actually, to see all the people caught up in this. Real lives, families, and marriages ruined....
    I'd say they were already ruined by the would-be cheating scumbags.
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

LOL
    Mr_Cosmic said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQTCS6aWRSc
    "What's done in the dark will be brought to the light" Johnny Cash
    (see also Luke 8:17)

Welcome to the future, I guess!
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

@torchsong were you part of the Sullivan's Sluggers debacle? Or that guy out of Chicago that decided to burn his comic on twitter a year or so ago.

I actually *got* my copy of Sullivan's Sluggers out of the guy. Lucky I guess. Not parting with it for anything (it's actually a really good book!)

Did not mess with the guy out of Chicago.

So far I only have two misses out of more than 100 backings. One I've mentioned - guy took the money, began apologizing because he'd misjudged how much it was going to cost, had the audacity to ask for more money to cover shipping, and then disappeared. Another one we think the guy may have died...we're not sure. His last communication talked about hospitalization and apologies for delays. :)

Anymore with Kickstarter backing I look at a number of factors:

1) If I know the person, or trust the artist (a la Larry Elmore) I back it no problem.
    2) If I sense that this book is going to show up in Previews in a couple months, I don't back it.
    3) The corollary to that is if the company is up front about it - a la Digital Manga reprinting the Tezuka catalog - I'll still back it.
    4) If there's enough extras and incentives to give me a reason NOT to follow Rule #2, and Rule #1 is satisfied - I'll back it.

The only other weirdness is the new thing where shipping gets tacked on when you go to pay. I actually prefer it when it's a flat fee up front with the shipping figured in.

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    I actually picked up a copy of Sullivan’s Sluggers, slipcase and all, a couple months back at Heroes Con. I think I paid $7 for it (it had a slightly dinged corner).
  • Options
    RepoManRepoMan Posts: 327
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Can't wait to see how a certain group of people fall over themselves to defend him with this new information. The mental acrobatics to try and somehow deflect from that initial story was stupefying. There was even a prevailing "defense" that had he come out as gay and was just acting out in his mid-teen years, he’d be the most celebrated creature in the media universe.

That's just... wow.
  • Options
    Wow. Really? I think you're going to be waiting a while for that...

• Options
    Speaking of variant comic covers. I normally don't go for variants....

...and I don't think these recently revealed Cosplay Variant Covers from Marvel are going to change my mind.

You be the judge