Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

What comics did you read and like this week?

Comments

• Options
    BryanBryan Posts: 208
    I also really liked Britannia. Pretty brutal on the violence, but a great read.
  • Options
    BrackBrack Posts: 868
    Enjoyed Mosaic #1, especially once he gets his powers. Thorne & Randolph really convey the hectic nature and pace of how those powers work and the initial confusion Morris has over his new situation.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Paper Girls from Vaughan and Chiang continues to be a lot of fun. And I enjoy how many ways, if you were to just judge what the title was and where it was heading from the first issue, how far into a different kind of adventure they are by #10.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Like the first issue of Doom Patrol, I'm not sure where I stand on Shade the Changing Girl #1. Some of it I liked, some of it was a bit choppy. The artwork is nice, but Zarcone doesn’t really go all out with the madness like Bachalo did in the Vertigo series. I think the story has potential, and I really liked Castellucci’s writing on the Plain Janes books, so I'm going to give it a few issues.
  • Options
    edited October 2016

I don't think it needs its own thread, so I will ask it here--

Is anyone reading Sex by Casey and Kowalski?

I've really dug a lot of Casey's work at Image, and I think I got and read the first two issues of that series, and my memory of it was that it was sort of a risque Bruce Wayne story by analogue, and there just wasn't enough to grab me. There wasn't the energy or chaos that I had enjoyed in Officer Downe, or Butcher Baker and the Righteous Maker. For a book called Sex, it all seemed a little dull.

But maybe I was wrong and dropped it too soon-- that book has continued to come out like clockwork and is now soliciting issues into the 30s, which are high numbers for most Image titles. And I was curious who is reading it, and what you are enjoying about it?
  • Options
    I like Joe, but the first issue didn't do anything for me at all, and I didn't continue with it.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    David_D said:

that book has continued to come out like clockwork and is now soliciting issues into the 30s, which are high numbers for most Image titles. And I was curious who is reading it, and what you are enjoying about it?

Tried one issue and bailed, but the conventional wisdom is "sex sells."
  • Options
    And speaking of Doom Patrol, I think issue #2 was an improvement over the first issue.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited October 2016
    Finally read Doom Patrol #1 and loved it. I'd seen a lot of negative reviews so I was a little worried going in. I can't see what all the negativity was about. I was expecting weird and I got that in spades. Maybe having just finished the first volume of Morrison's DP helped by getting my mind in the right place? I dunno..but I'm liking it.
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Finally read Doom Patrol #1 and loved it. I'd seen a lot of negative reviews so I was a little worried going in. I can't see what all the negativity was about. I was expecting weird and I got that in spades. Maybe having just finished the first volume of Morrison's DP helped by getting my mind in the right place? I dunno..but I'm liking it.

I enjoyed the first issue as well, and plan on trying #2. I think the first issue felt more like it was establishing character and tone rather than story, and my hope for #2 is that more of a story gets going. But I thought the first issue looked great, I enjoyed the connections to the Morrison/Case/etc. Doom Patrol, and I am looking forward to seeing where it goes.
  • Options
    David_D said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

I enjoyed the first issue as well, and plan on trying #2. I think the first issue felt more like it was establishing character and tone rather than story, and my hope for #2 is that more of a story gets going. But I thought the first issue looked great, I enjoyed the connections to the Morrison/Case/etc. Doom Patrol, and I am looking forward to seeing where it goes.
    There’s more story in issue #2, but it's still pretty vague as to exactly what that story is.
  • Options

David_D said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

There’s more story in issue #2, but it's still pretty vague as to exactly what that story is.
    And, to be fair, it is Doom Patrol. I don't expect it to be Tom Clancy. I just want to make sure that there is not only tone and weirdness (though with that art, it is almost enough) and there is some conflict or story to tell.
  • Options
    David_D said:

David_D said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

And, to be fair, it is Doom Patrol. I don't expect it to be Tom Clancy. I just want to make sure that there is not only tone and weirdness (though with that art, it is almost enough) and there is some conflict or story to tell.
    Oh, there’s definitely some conflict in this story. We don’t know why there is conflict, or who the source of the conflict is, but there is conflict.
  • Options
    Cage! #1 wasn’t quite what I was hoping for. The cartooning is great, no problems there. There’s plenty of action, a great homage to the old Street Ball ad by Jack Davis... it just didn’t really feel like Luke Cage to me. I don't know, maybe my expectations were set too high.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    I like mysteries. I really do. And I like when sometimes a story doesn’t start at the beginning, but jumps you ahead and slowly fills in what happened to get you to that point. It’s a cheap way of sucking you into a story, but when done well, it can be very engaging. But with Jessica Jones #1, I was left trying to figure out just how engaging the story was.

Don’t get me wrong, the tone, the feel, the look of Alias, a series I thoroughly enjoyed, is fully on display here. If you liked Alias, you’ll almost certainly like Jessica Jones #1. I think my problem is that I spent most of the issue wondering if something had happened to Jessica in Civil War II (which I am not reading) that I hadn’t heard about. It took me out of the story, even though it turned out not to be the case. I'm not sure how much of that is an indictment on me, and how much is an indictment on the seemingly never-ending cycle of event comics. Whatever the case, I look forward to reading the second issue without that distraction.
  • Options
    Finally read MICRONAUTS #1, which'd been on my comiXology wishlist for months. So when I saw that the site was having a line-wide IDW sale, I bit down. I liked playing with the Micronauts toys as a kid. And I liked hearing CGS' Off the Rack episode give this comic a good review. Unfortunately... I thought the comic was somewhat overcomplicated and boring. Maybe I was expecting it to recapture the fun of the toys, somehow? Or maybe I just wanted an easier to understand introduction to what a "micronaut" is here, and what/where this "innerverse" is? I dunno. But I don't feel like spending anymore money trying to find out.
  • Options
    aquatroyaquatroy Posts: 552
    Black Hammer #1. Enjoyed it and will stick around for awhile.
    Shade the Changing Girl #1. Also enjoyed it and will stick around through the first arc.
    Doom Patrol #2. So, Negative Man is the Conrad Dobler of super-heroes. I love that idea.
    James Bond is always solid.
  • Options
    aquatroy said:

Was this the Ellis-written ongoing, or the new Hammerhead miniseries? I didn't pick up the first issue of the miniseries. I have to limit my list somewhere, and I don't think I need two James Bond series, but if I hear great things about it, I may get it anyway.
  • Options

aquatroy said:

Was this the Ellis-written ongoing, or the new Hammerhead miniseries? I didn't pick up the first issue of the miniseries. I have to limit my list somewhere, and I don't think I need two James Bond series, but if I hear great things about it, I may get it anyway.
    This was Hammerhead. It read very much like the Ellis books.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,617

aquatroy said:

I just started reading the main series on comixology; It seems pretty good.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

I just started reading the main series on comixology; It seems pretty good.

I'm not as high on it as Chris seems to be, but it's a good series. I'd just like to see a better artist on it.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,617
    edited October 2016
    The first issue didn't blow me away either, but I thought it was good enough to read the first storyline before I passed judgement.
    The foot chase in issue one was pretty poorly executed.
  • Options
    I'm not a huge Bond fan (I've enjoyed a lot of Bond things, but I don't always get to all the movies and have never done the books), but I always check out whatever Ellis is doing, so I read the first issue of the main series. I liked it, and it was cinematic, but also such a fast read for the $4 that I figured I would eventually try to get the trades from library, or wait for deep discount digital sale.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    edited October 2016
    Finished issues 1-3 of the new Rom series and 1-6 of Micronauts. Nothing great or groundbreaking at all, but shaping up to be some good sci-fi fun.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Just read last months two issues of Aquaman. Easily one of the best Rebirth titles.
  • Options
    Once again, Mighty Thor is awesome!
    Titan Comics, 3rd. Doctor. #2 is very good. It's like watching a Jon Pertwee Who without the ear splitting sound effects. Paul Cornell's love of Who is evident.
    My pal, Sara at Hero Headquarters recommended a new comic called Die Kitty. It was a borrow. Very cute. A nice palette cleanser.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    As Al Ewing's New Avengers starts to wrap things up with its penultimate issue, we get a few pay offs to things set up in this book, in Secret Wars and even something set up back during Original Sin. So if you want to know exactly what Molecule Man did to The Maker at the end of Secret Wars, here, a year later, all is revealed.

It's been a great series with Sunspot using all the Machiavellian cunning he learnt from his father and Gideon to match wits with WHISPER and an increasingly corrupt SHIELD.
  • Options
    Vision #12. The conclusion to one of the best series I've read in many, many years.

Ultimates #12. Concluding issue of that series as well. You get to see some neat stuff in this one including America Chavez taking Captain Marvel to an alternate reality where the Inhuman Ulysses' power has been, um ... "utilized to it's fullest." Oh, and just like with the Marvel movies ... make sure you stick around for the "post credits" epilogue with Galactus! :-)
  • Options

Ultimates #12. Concluding issue of that series as well. You get to see some neat stuff in this one including America Chavez taking Captain Marvel to an alternate reality where the Inhuman Ulysses' power has been, um ... "utilized to it's fullest." Oh, and just like with the Marvel movies ... make sure you stick around for the "post credits" epilogue with Galactus! :-)

I like how Al Ewing's books interconnect too, with the allusion to the end of New Avengers in this book and the Troubleshooters (which was the project that American Kaiju was part of). And then we got the mention of the situation with Eternity in this week's New Avengers.

Plus, the fact the Troubleshooters are Marvel Universe versions of Justice and DP7 from the New Universe is neat (with the name borrowed from Spitfire & The Troubleshooters).

• Options
    Just finished Cave Carson Has a Cybernetic Eye #1. Of all the Young Animal first issues thus far, Cave Carson is definitely my favorite. Unlike Doom Patrol #1, where it seemed to me that the weirdness overwhelmed the story, here the story is pretty straightforward with brief flashes and hints of wierdness. There are lots of guest stars to liven things up, but they fit in smoothly without the book feeling too crowded or forced. Oeming's artwork is some of the best I've seen from him. All in all a really good start to the series.