Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

What comics did you read and like this week?

Comments

• Options
    Mighty Thor is awesome!
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,617

Young Animal’s Doom Patrol #1,

I've not started it, but it did have the best cover of my shipments
  • Options
    aquatroy said:

I'm surprised that the Remington house hasn't been used as a location for horror stories more often.

Geez I thought the three or four tv shows I've seen about were horror stories. What a weird place.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

Which one did you get? I got the Jaime Hernandez, which I think is the best of the bunch.
  • Options
    Titan Comics, Doctor Who (3rd Doctor) #1 is very good. Paul Cornell nailed the voices. The only thing it's missing is the ear piercing sound effects.

Btw. there's a very cool nod to a "new" Who character.
  • Options

mwhitt80 said:

Which one did you get? I got the Jaime Hernandez, which I think is the best of the bunch.
    DCBS sent me the peel away burrito. It's pretty sweet.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

mwhitt80 said:

Forgive me, but I believe it's a gyro on the cover.
  • Options
    aquatroy said:

mwhitt80 said:

mwhitt80 said:

It is, but isn't a gyro basically a Mediterranean burrito? Well, somewhere between a taco and a burrito, I suppose.

Also, as much as I love a burrito—I made some last night in fact—I’ll take a gyro over a burrito nine times out of ten.

Also, also, did you peel the gyro back to see what was underneath, @mwhitt80?
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    Caught up on last week's Detective Comics (940). I enjoyed it quite a bit, but I'm not thrilled that one arc in, it's going into a multi-title crossover.
  • Options
    hauberk said:

Caught up on last week's Detective Comics (940). I enjoyed it quite a bit, but I'm not thrilled that one arc in, it's going into a multi-title crossover.

#BatLife
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511

hauberk said:

#BatLife
    Indeed.
  • Options

aquatroy said:

mwhitt80 said:

mwhitt80 said:

It is, but isn't a gyro basically a Mediterranean burrito? Well, somewhere between a taco and a burrito, I suppose.

Also, as much as I love a burrito—I made some last night in fact—I’ll take a gyro over a burrito nine times out of ten.

Also, also, did you peel the gyro back to see what was underneath, @mwhitt80?
    I like to think of a burrito as being a Texas gyro. ;)
    I also have the gyro cover. I haven't peeled the gyro off.
  • Options
    aquatroy said:

Now I have a burning desire to know which came first, the gyro or the burrito.
  • Options

aquatroy said:

I would bet on the Gyro.
    Man! It's about 15 minutes to lunch. All this food talk is making me hungry.
  • Options
    aquatroy said:

aquatroy said:

I would bet on the Gyro.
    A quick search showed the gyro was basically a Greek take on the Turkish döner kebab (the first use of a vertical skewer of meat that was cooked as it was sliced off), which dates back to the 19th Century. Likewise, the burrito dates back to 1895 at the latest, and probably years earlier, though the Pueblos made something very similar long before the Spanish arrived.

I had a couple of leftover burritos for lunch. There’s a decent gyro joint down the road I may have to hit tomorrow.

• Options

aquatroy said:

aquatroy said:

I would bet on the Gyro.
    A quick search showed the gyro was basically a Greek take on the Turkish döner kebab (the first use of a vertical skewer of meat that was cooked as it was sliced off), which dates back to the 19th Century. Likewise, the burrito dates back to 1895 at the latest, and probably years earlier, though the Pueblos made something very similar long before the Spanish arrived.

I had a couple of leftover burritos for lunch. There’s a decent gyro joint down the road I may have to hit tomorrow.

I'm sure the Pueblos made something similar, but they wouldn't have used a flour tortilla.
  • Options
    aquatroy said:

aquatroy said:

aquatroy said:

I would bet on the Gyro.

I'm sure the Pueblos made something similar, but they wouldn't have used a flour tortilla.
    According to this book, the Pueblos were the first people to make flour tortillas, long before the Spanish arrived.
  • Options
    Vision #11 and Black Hammer #4. If you're not reading those series, you're missing out on some great stuff.
  • Options

Vision #11 and Black Hammer #4. If you're not reading those series, you're missing out on some great stuff.

I haven't had a chance to read Black Hammer yet, but I have all the issues and I'm looking forward to finding the time to get to it. Kind of sad, yet excited, for the ending of Vision.
  • Options

Kind of sad, yet excited, for the ending of Vision.

Same here, Eric. One of the best series Marvel has produced in the several years.

• Options

Kind of sad, yet excited, for the ending of Vision.

Same here, Eric. One of the best series Marvel has produced in the several years.
    Without a doubt.
  • Options

aquatroy said:

aquatroy said:

aquatroy said:

I would bet on the Gyro.

According to this book, the Pueblos were the first people to make flour tortillas, long before the Spanish arrived.
    Hmmm
    it's was my understanding that the flour tortilla was developed by Jewish refugees from Spain, in Mexico. They used a wheat flour instead of masa because they thought that corn was somehow not kosher. This would have happened in the 1500's (?)

I'm done. I apologize for hijacking the thread with talk of the history of flat bread.
  • Options
    aquatroy said:

I'm done. I apologize for hijacking the thread with talk of the history of flat bread.

Well, I had fun anyway. I did a little more digging last night, and I think that excerpt I read from the book I linked to must have been referring to corn flour (it didn’t specify, and just said “flour”).

I do wish my gyro today had been better though. The burritos I made were much tastier.

And to make this more on topic, here’s what it looks like under the gyro sticker:
  • Options
    BrackBrack Posts: 868
    This week's Karnak really got under the character's skin in a way I wasn't expecting given the "smartest man in the room" way Ellis had presented him the previous issues. But it is because of that earlier presentation that it was even more an effective character study.
  • Options
    Sorry I got busy/hungry and forgot you asked about what was behind the Greek burrito.
  • Options
    I have been buying and reading collections from the past I missed first go around. I just finished Jim Starlin's Warlock run from the 70's... I was amazed at how engaging it was. There's A LOT of gnashing of teeth and angst, but the story is pretty fun, with it being tied up in those two annuals, Marvel Two In One, and Avengers. Starlin really stands out as one of the more progressive writers of the 70's Marvel era.

I've also been reading a collection of Valentino's Normalman... not as impressed. I think 14 year old me would have loved it, tho.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    In the category of "What Comics Did You Read and Like or Not Like This Week"...

I picked up the Epic Collection of the Steve Gerber's Man-Thing a few months ago after missing the omnibus collection a few years ago. The 440-page tpb also features stories by Roy Thomas, Gerry Conway, Len Wein and Tony Isabella. This could be for completeness sake or to show readers that, despite how good all of those writers might have been, no one was better than Steve Gerber when it came to spinning tales of Marvel’s melancholy muck-monster.

You never know if the next story will be fantasy, science-fiction, horror, or even social commentary. However, when reading it all as a whole, it's gotten a little monotonous at times. Many of the one-shot stories are wonderfully crafted, especially after Gerber took over, but I began getting bored with Val Mayerik's art style which I consider a low-point in the run (and I usually like Mayerik). What a welcome change when Mike Ploog finally stepped in at issue 5 on a story about a suicidal clown. I have volume 2 on order and I'm hoping this improved artwork continues with Ploog, Buscema, Morrow, Buckler, Broderick and Alcala.

Man-Thing is a tough series, because the protagonist isn't really a character. He's a plot device, because of his bestial mind and ongoing insanity. So he doesn't change and there isn't any growth or even a character arcs about him, which I think proved to be a challenge for the series. The guest characters are individually interesting, but never form any cohesiveness or a coherent through-line. Rory Regan is the best character so far in what is essentially an on-going, episodic swamp opera, with Man-Thing coming to the aid of various counterculture types, saving them from the clutches of mad scientists, industrialists, evil devil-worshipers, biker gangs, and the ever-present hungry alligators.

I'm sticking with it because I'm fascinated with the character, I like Gerber's work, I love the bronze-age era and I'm a completist.

YMMV
  • Options

aquatroy said:

Well, I had fun anyway. I did a little more digging last night, and I think that excerpt I read from the book I linked to must have been referring to corn flour (it didn’t specify, and just said “flour”).

I do wish my gyro today had been better though. The burritos I made were much tastier.

And to make this more on topic, here’s what it looks like under the gyro sticker:
    the universe should have a bullet with text that reads something like, "you are here."
  • Options
    hauberk said:

Dr. Strange did the same thing. I wanted to really chew on some of the ideas that Aaron brought to the book. The Bar. The monks. The Cloak of Levitation morphing into different articles of clothing. The new Librarian exploring the Sanctum Sanctorum. Death of Magic totally took the book off the rails for me.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    @wildpigcomics I just finished reading a new book, and it's right up your street. From Valiant Britannia. The story of the worlds first detective, set in 60 A.D. Rome. This takes history, horror, crime and a pinch of romance and mixes it perfectly. I know your also one who appreciates bang for his buck, and this also delivers an interesting essay on the Vestals of Rome. If you're not reading this, pick it up. You'll thank me for the tip off ;)