Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

What comics did you read and like this week?

Comments

• Options
    TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    Vision #9 ... wow. Again. Best book on the market today.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741

Vision #9 ... wow. Again. Best book on the market today.

I wouldn't say best book, but I would say it's the best superhero book I'm reading.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Started a "new" manga series (it's been out for a bit) called Non Non Byori. I like manga that are heartwarming or calming (see Aria, Yotsuba, Azumanga, My Neighbor Seki, etc.) and this one really fits the bill, even it's not the most masculine thing to be reading. In a village so small there's only one school to cover all the grades, four girls of varying ages (and one guy who kinda hangs in the background as comic relief) get through this thing called life together. The humor is actually really spot on and genuinely funny, the artwork is really nice, and again...hits that heartwarming vibe I think I need every now and then given the way the outside world's been of late. This is why I read comics.
  • Options
    TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763

I wouldn't say best book, but I would say it's the best superhero book I'm reading.

Good distinction. I think I probably still put it ahead of my top non-superhero books though (Lazarus, Saga, and The Fix ... in case you wanted to know :smile:).

• Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    I just read Flintstones #1 and enjoyed it. It wasn't super special it was just an enjoyable book with humorous twist and a little bit of heart.

Scooby-Doo Apocalypse #1 was also enjoyable. It's been discussed on the forums a few times, but I liked it.
  • Options
    aquatroyaquatroy Posts: 552
    Betty & Veronica #1 is the best comic I've read in quite a while. Which is strange because half way into the book I'm thinking, "This is very good, but it's a wordy "B". This is going to wear me out before I finish it." Then Hughes does something that was both expected and unexpected. We get two pages of exposition and what might be the most wholesome serving of cheesecake ever. I don't know what issue 2 can do to keep up the quality of issue 1.
    My only criticism is with the color. It's dark and muted at the same time. I could understand if the colors were muted to accentuate Hughes' draftsmanship. Unfortunately, the line work is also muted. I would understand if the colors were muted so that figures could be turned with the temperature of the color rather than the value of the color. Unfortunately, everything is the same value and temperature. So, I don't know what the point of the colors is. It would have been better if the book was simply black and white with Hughes' clean sharp draftsmanship on display.
  • Options
    Adam is very hands on with the coloring of B&V, even though he's not doing the actual coloring. But trust me when I say that it's exactly what Adam wants. I haven't had a chance to see it yet, so I can't really comment on it beyond that yet.
  • Options

Adam is very hands on with the coloring of B&V, even though he's not doing the actual coloring. But trust me when I say that it's exactly what Adam wants. I haven't had a chance to see it yet, so I can't really comment on it beyond that yet.

Very interesting. Thanks!
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    Future Quest #3. I am loving every bit of that book
  • Options
    DAR said:

Future Quest #3. I am loving every bit of that book

That book has been SOOOO much fun!
  • Options
    Took advantage of the Barnes & Noble B2Get1Free deal on Marvel books this week and picked up the two Darth Vader trades and Darth Vader Down which continues the story. Man, I don't think I can remember a time when a comic book was able to speak to both the comic AND movie lover in me...but this series has absolutely nailed it.
  • Options
    I'm surprised to say that I'm really enjoying Dynamite's, James Bond. I'm not a Bond fan. Probably because I grew up with the Moore movies. However, Dynamite's Bond is this cool distillation of pure Bond. Violent, kill you in a heartbeat, very smart super-spy without the camp or parkour or hairless cats.

Batman 66 & The Avengers. I was getting a bit wore out with the 66 team-ups. As a matter of fact, when I saw the book my first thought was, "When do we see the Batman 66 Petticoat Junction team-up?" 66 & the Avengers works very well together. I'm in.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Torchsong said:

Took advantage of the Barnes & Noble B2Get1Free deal on Marvel books this week and picked up the two Darth Vader trades and Darth Vader Down which continues the story. Man, I don't think I can remember a time when a comic book was able to speak to both the comic AND movie lover in me...but this series has absolutely nailed it.

Agreed. I think Star Wars at Marvel has generally been strong, that Darth Vader series has been by far the best of the bunch. I never thought that a Darth Vader comic would be one of the first things I reach for out of a DCBS shipment, but it is. I feel like there has been a great mix of mythology moments- exploring things that had been left offscreen (like when exactly Vader realized that the Rebel pilot who blew up the Death Star is actually his son) as well as plot lines based around characters unique to this series. It's great. And while I will miss it, as it ends soon, those 25 issues are a really excellent, and carefully crafted, story for Vader in the time between Star Wars and Empire.

I also think, after all those Iron Man issues, Larroca has a really strong skill set when it comes to making an unmoving metal mask emotive. He's been the perfect artist for this.
  • Options
    BionicDaveBionicDave Posts: 377
    I am finally getting around to reading SUPERMAN: AMERICAN ALIEN. It's such a surprising breath of fresh air to me, as a Superman fan who's been head-spun by the overcomplexities of Superman titles as of late. Just simple, one-and-done stories of Clark growing up and getting his bearings in life. Max Landis and his various artists have really entertained me here.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967

I am finally getting around to reading SUPERMAN: AMERICAN ALIEN. It's such a surprising breath of fresh air to me, as a Superman fan who's been head-spun by the overcomplexities of Superman titles as of late. Just simple, one-and-done stories of Clark growing up and getting his bearings in life. Max Landis and his various artists have really entertained me here.

I've heard good things and pre-ordered this in hardcover. Haven't read any of the single issues.
  • Options
    David_D said:

Agreed. I think Star Wars at Marvel has generally been strong, that Darth Vader series has been by far the best of the bunch. I never thought that a Darth Vader comic would be one of the first things I reach for out of a DCBS shipment, but it is. I feel like there has been a great mix of mythology moments- exploring things that had been left offscreen (like when exactly Vader realized that the Rebel pilot who blew up the Death Star is actually his son) as well as plot lines based around characters unique to this series. It's great. And while I will miss it, as it ends soon, those 25 issues are a really excellent, and carefully crafted, story for Vader in the time between Star Wars and Empire.

I also think, after all those Iron Man issues, Larroca has a really strong skill set when it comes to making an unmoving metal mask emotive. He's been the perfect artist for this.

I want a 3-Zero and BeeTee series, and I want it yesterday. :)

• Options
    mphilmphil Posts: 448
    I also am really liking Darth Vader. I also get the regular Star Wars book but can never remember what is happening there; Darth Vader I anticipate every issue. Great stuff.

Are people reading and liking Moon Knight? I don't know what to think about it. It's a little too artsy and abstract I think. I can't figure out what is going on.
  • Options
    mphil said:

Are people reading and liking Moon Knight? I don't know what to think about it. It's a little too artsy and abstract I think. I can't figure out what is going on.

I'm two issues behind, but I've been enjoying it. It's dealing with sanity/insanity, a very abstract subject, so it needs to be a bit abstract in its approach. We’re not supposed to know if what MK is seeing is real or all in his mind, and Jeff is purposefully trying to keep the reader unsure and off-balanced. I think it’s done a pretty good job in that regard.

My only complaint is that the first story is a bit too slowly paced. I’m hoping that once he escapes the “asylum” things will pick up.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967

My only complaint is that the first story is a bit too slowly paced.

Oh? Still reading Coates' Black Panther?

• Options

My only complaint is that the first story is a bit too slowly paced.

Oh? Still reading Coates' Black Panther?

Yes, I am. Again, I'm a couple of issues behind. I don't have a problem with the pace of BP, as it’s due to him trying to weave several interconnected plotlines into one tapestry, as opposed to Moon Knight’s one plotline. BP is the story of a nation as opposed to the story of one man’s sanity. But I can see how it might not be fast-paced enough for many readers.

But I think BP has tightened up some since the first issue. And I expect the pace to quicken much more once the World of Wakanda starts up, and takes with it the bulk of the two Dora Milaje rebels’ storyline and the revolutionary Zenzi’s storyline.
  • Options
    Thanks for your perspective on Moon Knight! I think it might just be something that I would enjoy more in a trade. Reading issues I can't tell what is actually happening, what is real and what is dreams.
  • Options
    mphil said:

Thanks for your perspective on Moon Knight! I think it might just be something that I would enjoy more in a trade. Reading issues I can't tell what is actually happening, what is real and what is dreams.

Yeah, I think a collected reading would really benefit the story.
  • Options
    It's the first time in a while, but I'm really enjoying both Action Comics and Superman. Superman especially, I love that old Superman is back (I also enjoyed the previous Lois and Clark book) and have liked this storyline with The Eradicator. I never read those stories in the 90s, I'm liking the villain.

IDW continues to do a standout job with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, the ongoing has been fantastic since I picked it up in the 20s.

I haven't read it yet, but have gotten the Kareem Abdul Jabbar Mycroft Holmes book and plan on reading that this weekend.
  • Options
    I just finished the first trade of Vision.

WOW!

I'm also enjoying House of Penance from Dark Horse.
  • Options
    BionicDaveBionicDave Posts: 377
    @aquatroy Isn't King's VISION title great?! It's like "American Beauty" with a family of Lt. Commander Datas. Easily one of the best comics out there.
  • Options

@aquatroy Isn't King's VISION title great?! It's like "American Beauty" with a family of Lt. Commander Datas. Easily one of the best comics out there.

It's brilliant. I love sticking supers in non-super situations.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    The Goon 11-18

The Goon has been a great up to this point (issues 1-10). The stories were connected, fantastic, one or two issue arcs. My favorite of the first ten is #9 (Goon plays football for the Fighting Fish Canners).
    At issue 11 Eric Powell really begins to form a real narrative for his series. It is really turning into something special.

Now I'm at the end of issue 18 and according to Wikipedia. I've got a miniseries, #19, and Chinatown next. I'm pretty excited about it; @nweathington has mentioned that Chinatown is thereal turning point in the series.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    The latest issue of Lazarus. A spectacular near dialog-less duel between a pair of Lazarii and some potentially big events forthcoming for Forever and the Carlysle Family. Far and away, this is the best book that I'm reading monthly.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

The Goon 11-18

The Goon has been a great up to this point (issues 1-10). The stories were connected, fantastic, one or two issue arcs. My favorite of the first ten is #9 (Goon plays football for the Fighting Fish Canners).
    At issue 11 Eric Powell really begins to form a real narrative for his series. It is really turning into something special.

Now I'm at the end of issue 18 and according to Wikipedia. I've got a miniseries, #19, and Chinatown next. I'm pretty excited about it; @nweathington has mentioned that Chinatown is thereal turning point in the series.

Chinatown is awesome.
  • Options
    I'm still very entertained by Mighty Thor. I'm also enjoying Black Widow.