Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice (Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    Well, I honestly didn't see this coming. Fingers crossed that it's not a terrible film.
  • Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    My latest tumblr. mashup:
    (Apologies to Lynda Carter)

• Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Eh. She's fine I guess. Pretty and non specific slight ethnic appearance. Good choice to go virtually unknown. Just hope shes convincingly strong but mostly has some degree of charisma and presence. I have so little hope for this show being anything i want anyway it doesn't matter.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    Matt said:

Yeah, this sounds like a Man of Steel doesn't it (read last paragraph)?

http://batman-news.com/2013/12/05/warner-bros-wants-callan-mulvey-batman-vs-superman-villain/

M

I'd prefer DC not try to pin all their hopes on this single movie. They need to stop trying to play catch up with the marvel movies and instead raise the bar on quality (which, admittedly is already set pretty high). Don't put all the eggs in one basket. Concentrate on making good, solid movies. There is a danger with a cast this big that, like in Spider-Man 3 or Batman Returns, that you have too many characters fighting for screen time and it just looks like a mess.
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    Oscar Winning writer being brought to the show....

Chris Terrio, he of Argo fame, being brought on board to flesh out the script by Goyer. Unfortunately it says at the end Goyer has been busy with other DC Comics properites including... ahem... Sandman. Um... no. NO THANK YOU. Why not hire that other guy, you know, the one who wrote Sandman and also has written for the screen???????!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    Planeis said:

Chris Terrio, he of Argo fame, being brought on board to flesh out the script by Goyer. Unfortunately it says at the end Goyer has been busy with other DC Comics properites including... ahem... Sandman. Um... no. NO THANK YOU. Why not hire that other guy, you know, the one who wrote Sandman and also has written for the screen???????!!!!!!!!!!!!

And how many of those movies he's written have been big hits?
  • Options

Planeis said:

And how many of those movies he's written have been big hits?
    Who? Chris Terrio? or Goyer? As far as I can tell the only screenplay Terrio has written is the highly acclaimed Argo.

Goyer has a lot of story credits, for instance on The Dark Knight Rises and The Dark Knight. He has at least a partial screenplay credit for Batman Begins and also has one for Jumper. Based on what I see on IMDB I don't think Goyer's screenwriting is anything special. He might be a good idea guy, but when it comes down to the nuts and bolts I'm plenty happy they brought on someone else.
  • Options
    PeterPeter Posts: 470
    I think RR88 meant Neil Gaiman.
  • Options
    Peter said:

I don't think Gaiman has been given the opportunity to write anything big. He adapted Princess Monoke for English and wrote the 3D animated Beowulf movie a few years ago.

For TV he wrote some B5, some DW and a Simpsons episode. I don't know why Goyer has gotten more opportunities on huge projects compared to Gaiman. Could be he has connections, could be he seeks it out, could be political. But if I had to choose between Gaiman adapting Sandman and Goyer doing it, there'd be no contest. There would be no circumstances where I'd choose Goyer.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    Planeis said:

Peter said:

I don't think Gaiman has been given the opportunity to write anything big. He adapted Princess Monoke for English and wrote the 3D animated Beowulf movie a few years ago.

For TV he wrote some B5, some DW and a Simpsons episode. I don't know why Goyer has gotten more opportunities on huge projects compared to Gaiman. Could be he has connections, could be he seeks it out, could be political. But if I had to choose between Gaiman adapting Sandman and Goyer doing it, there'd be no contest. There would be no circumstances where I'd choose Goyer.
    This brings to mind the announcement of HBO doing a production of American Gods. Does anyone know when this might happen?
  • Options
    Planeis said:

Peter said:

i don't get the impression Neil is real interested in being a screen writer. I think he wrote a couple Dr. Who eps out of fanboy love but i don't think he's looking to break into another medium.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    rebis said:

Planeis said:

Peter said:

This brings to mind the announcement of HBO doing a production of American Gods. Does anyone know when this might happen?
    I shouldn't have been lazy and just googled this to begin with

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2013/11/american-gods-tv-show-no-longer-in-development-with-hbo
  • Options
    random73 said:

Planeis said:

Peter said:

i don't get the impression Neil is real interested in being a screen writer. I think he wrote a couple Dr. Who eps out of fanboy love but i don't think he's looking to break into another medium.
    There's no way to know for sure how often he gets asked to work on something, and what projects he gets asked about. But, given that he has written for DW, the simpsons, and Beowulf, he must have some interest in it.

We'll never know I guess until someone asks him, but I still don't want Goyer anywhere near a Sandman movie.
  • Options
    I think Gaiman is interested in screenwriting when he has a story idea that he thinks fits best within that medium. He doesn’t see himself as a novelist, or a comic book writer, or a screenwriter. He sees himself as a storyteller, and he wants to be able to tell his stories in the way he thinks suits the stories best. He wrote Neverwhere as a TV series before he turned into a novel because that’s the way he originally envisioned the story.

So, yeah, I think he would want to write or co-write the new Sandman screenplay, as long as his schedule allowed for it (which it very well may not). My guess is that even if he doesn’t have time to write it himself, or if the producers aren’t interested in having him write it, he’ll be given a chance to look over the script and provide notes before it goes into production.
  • Options
    Gal Gadot talks prep, fights back against critics

"I represent the Wonder Women of the new world. Breasts... anyone can buy for 9,000 shekels and everything is fine. By the way, Wonder Woman is amazonian, and historically accurate amazonian women actually had only one breast. So, if I'd really go 'by the book'...it'd be problematic."
  • Options
    Planeis said:

"I represent the Wonder Women of the new world. Breasts... anyone can buy for 9,000 shekels and everything is fine. By the way, Wonder Woman is amazonian, and historically accurate amazonian women actually had only one breast. So, if I'd really go 'by the book'...it'd be problematic."

How many more comic book movies until the pressure from fanboys to be completely accurate before they stop making the movies?

I'm glad she's not listening to the critics.

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

Planeis said:

How many more comic book movies until the pressure from fanboys to be completely accurate before they stop making the movies?

M
    They'll only stop making the movies when they stop making money. The fanboys who insist on complete and total accuracy is only a small percentage of comics fandom, which in turn is only a small percentage of the movie-viewing public.

I think the majority of comic fans are really only looking for them to accurately capture the spirit of the characters. They need to “feel” right more than anything else. The recent Batman films have done a good job of getting the feel right, Avengers got the feel right... but Man of Steel didn’t get there for a lot of fans.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881

Matt said:

Planeis said:

M
    They'll only stop making the movies when they stop making money. The fanboys who insist on complete and total accuracy is only a small percentage of comics fandom, which in turn is only a small percentage of the movie-viewing public.

I think the majority of comic fans are really only looking for them to accurately capture the spirit of the characters. They need to “feel” right more than anything else. The recent Batman films have done a good job of getting the feel right, Avengers got the feel right... but Man of Steel didn’t get there for a lot of fans.
    Very well-put.

I think we see a lot of talk about consistency and changes and things like that because of the circles we travel in. But I think- especially when it comes to the big, well-known characters that carry big expectations and prior experience with them- the mainstream audience just wants them to feel right.
  • Options
    edited December 2013

Matt said:

Planeis said:

M

Define "fans." Its no secret Man of Steel felt more like a Superman movie to me then prior movies. I wouldn't say I'm a Superman fan, but I'm a comic book fan, a movie fan, and a comic book movie fan. You might get 'a lot' in the Superman fans, a 'significant amount' in the comic book fans, but the last 2 groups might not actually be 'a lot.'

I've also heard if you don't have kids it effects your enjoyment of the Pa/Clark relationship!

M
  • Options
    1fan noun \ˈfan\
    CloseStyle: MLA APA ChicagoDefinition of FAN
    1: any of various devices for winnowing grain
    2: an instrument for producing a current of air: as a : a device that is held in the hand and moved back and forth to cool a person and that is usually shaped like a segment of a circle and composed of material (as feathers or paper) mounted on thin rods or slats moving about a pivot so that the device may be closed compactly when not in use b : a device that consists of a series of vanes radiating from a hub rotated on its axle by a motor c slang : an airplane propeller
    3a : something resembling an open fan b : a gently sloping fan-shaped body of detritus; especially : alluvial fan

2fanverb : to move air on or toward (someone or something) with a fan

baseball : to strike out
    fannedfan·ning
    Full Definition of FAN
    transitive verb
    1a : to drive away the chaff of (grain) by means of a current of air b : to eliminate (as chaff) by winnowing
    2: to move or impel (air) with a fan
    3: to blow or breathe upon
    4a : to direct a current of air upon with a fan b : to stir up to activity as if by fanning : stimulate
    5archaic : wave
    6slang : spank
    7: to spread like a fan
    8: to strike (a batter) out in baseball
    9: to fire a series of shots from (a single-action revolver) by holding the trigger back and successively striking the hammer to the rear with the free hand

3fannoun
    Definition of FAN
    1: an enthusiastic devotee (as of a sport or a performing art) usually as a spectator
    2: an ardent admirer or enthusiast (as of a celebrity or a pursuit)
    Origin of FAN
    probably short for fanatic
    First Known Use: 1682

:-\"
  • Options
    random73 said:

1fan noun \ˈfan\
    CloseStyle: MLA APA ChicagoDefinition of FAN
    1: any of various devices for winnowing grain
    2: an instrument for producing a current of air: as a : a device that is held in the hand and moved back and forth to cool a person and that is usually shaped like a segment of a circle and composed of material (as feathers or paper) mounted on thin rods or slats moving about a pivot so that the device may be closed compactly when not in use b : a device that consists of a series of vanes radiating from a hub rotated on its axle by a motor c slang : an airplane propeller
    3a : something resembling an open fan b : a gently sloping fan-shaped body of detritus; especially : alluvial fan

2fanverb : to move air on or toward (someone or something) with a fan

baseball : to strike out
    fannedfan·ning
    Full Definition of FAN
    transitive verb
    1a : to drive away the chaff of (grain) by means of a current of air b : to eliminate (as chaff) by winnowing
    2: to move or impel (air) with a fan
    3: to blow or breathe upon
    4a : to direct a current of air upon with a fan b : to stir up to activity as if by fanning : stimulate
    5archaic : wave
    6slang : spank
    7: to spread like a fan
    8: to strike (a batter) out in baseball
    9: to fire a series of shots from (a single-action revolver) by holding the trigger back and successively striking the hammer to the rear with the free hand

3fannoun
    Definition of FAN
    1: an enthusiastic devotee (as of a sport or a performing art) usually as a spectator
    2: an ardent admirer or enthusiast (as of a celebrity or a pursuit)
    Origin of FAN
    probably short for fanatic
    First Known Use: 1682

:-\"

Then I don't get how an air generated instrument even takes the time to see a movie, let alone feel it.

M
  • Options
    lol. i think you're looking for that last definition. I like "an enthusiastic devotee". I may start using that as a self-descriptor.
  • Options
    random73 said:

lol. i think you're looking for that last definition. I like "an enthusiastic devotee". I may start using that as a self-descriptor.

But of Superman, comic books, movies, or comic book movies? Which group(a) of fans were 'a lot' that didn't feel Man of Steel?

M
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I don't know...I'm struggling to not give into the "My Wonder Woman has boobs!" argument.
  • Options
    Matt said:

random73 said:

But of Superman, comic books, movies, or comic book movies? Which group(a) of fans were 'a lot' that didn't feel Man of Steel?

M
    I thought I was pretty clear, but I'm talking comic book fans in general. And by that I mean people who buy comics on a regular basis.

I'm just basing this on what I’ve seen and heard in comic book fandom circles. As you've pointed out yourself, this message board seems to be split about 50/50 on Man of Steel, and that's generally what I've seen on Facebook (actually, I've seen probably more like 70/30 against MoS on Facebook, but that may be due more to my age and the ages of my friends) and the other message boards I visit now and then. Even if it’s only a third of comic fans didn’t think Man of Steel felt right, that’s still “a lot.”
  • Options
    edited December 2013

Matt said:

random73 said:

M
    I thought I was pretty clear, but I'm talking comic book fans in general. And by that I mean people who buy comics on a regular basis.

I'm just basing this on what I’ve seen and heard in comic book fandom circles. As you've pointed out yourself, this message board seems to be split about 50/50 on Man of Steel, and that's generally what I've seen on Facebook (actually, I've seen probably more like 70/30 against MoS on Facebook, but that may be due more to my age and the ages of my friends) and the other message boards I visit now and then. Even if it’s only a third of comic fans didn’t think Man of Steel felt right, that’s still “a lot.”
    Fair enough. I was questioning because your other 2 examples were mostly accepted by everyone, though I know a couple people who had issues with Nolan's Batman series. The biggest criticisms were League of Shadows (instead of Assassins) & Blake's name not being something else (trying to avoid spoilers for the handful who haven't seen TDKR) There's even an endangered species number of comic book fans who criticize the trilogy for not having Batman in (unrealistic, impractical, & laughable) tights!

I loved the trilogy's ending...I just wouldn't want to see it in the comic books.

M