Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice (Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    This is exciting news!!!!

Matthew (aka Mr. Sunshine)
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    I'd be more excited if Zack and Goyer weren't attached to it, based on Man Of Steel; their inclusion just gives me more trepidations. I'm far more excited about the Avengers announcement than I am about this -- and I really wanted to be excited about it.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    edited July 2013

I'd be more excited if Zack and Goyer weren't attached to it, based on Man Of Steel; their inclusion just gives me more trepidations. I'm far more excited about the Avengers announcement than I am about this -- and I really wanted to be excited about it.

I'd give you Snyder, but Goyer help give an amazing Batman trilogy. His first Superman wasn't as good, but still a great (and refreshing) interpretation of the character.

M
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    David_D said:

.... And given that they announced a MOS 2 I think the Thursday before opening day of MOS... and now are doing this instead? That can say as much about how MOS ended up performing, if the solution was not 'more Man of Steel!' but instead became 'add Batman'. That WB are now walking back the idea of another Superman movie standing on its own is sort of a bummer thing to say about Superman as a movie property. ...

How its performing? You mean how its going to end up as the second most successful Superman movie in North America (after adjusting for inflation) and how it is a huge, worldwide success?

• Options
    Matt said:

Whom ever disagreed, please post why. I welcome the dissenting opinion, but cannot have a discussion (or understanding) if there's no counter.

M
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Planeis said:

David_D said:

.... And given that they announced a MOS 2 I think the Thursday before opening day of MOS... and now are doing this instead? That can say as much about how MOS ended up performing, if the solution was not 'more Man of Steel!' but instead became 'add Batman'. That WB are now walking back the idea of another Superman movie standing on its own is sort of a bummer thing to say about Superman as a movie property. ...

How its performing? You mean how its going to end up as the second most successful Superman movie in North America (after adjusting for inflation) and how it is a huge, worldwide success?

Yes. Successful, but not as successful as projected.

In other words, below expectations. Which may be why MOS 2 has been replaced by a Batman team-up.
  • Options
    spidspid Posts: 203
    I think it is very easy to take the damaged caused by Superman's fight as a catalyst for Batman to come to Metropolis to look into Superman.

If they were smart they would cut and paste the plot from this.
  • Options
    EarthGBillyEarthGBilly Posts: 362
    WetRats said:

Will the Flash movie be Flash/Batman?

Will the Justice League movie be Batman's Justice League?

Yes. Yes, they will.

We are now hitching our hopes to Batman's cape for all future Warner Bros. films. Even now, Peter Jackson is retooling the future installments of The Hobbit to include Batman, that 300 prequel will now show how Batman trained the Spartans, and Godzilla will be taken down by the Dark Knight next year.

Warner Bros.: When you have a formula that works, ride that horse until its hooves fall off.

• Options

WetRats said:

Yes. Yes, they will.

We are now hitching our hopes to Batman's cape for all future Warner Bros. films. Even now, Peter Jackson is retooling the future installments of The Hobbit to include Batman, that 300 prequel will now show how Batman trained the Spartans, and Godzilla will be taken down by the Dark Knight next year.

Warner Bros.: When you have a formula that works, ride that horse until its hooves fall off.

Isn't the title of Batman what's used as the comparison line for comics sold?

M
  • Options
    luckymustardluckymustard Posts: 927
    So the Guillermo del Toro Justice League Dark movie will include Batman too.
  • Options

WetRats said:

Yes. Yes, they will.

Okay- real talk:

I would watch the shit out of Batman taking down Godzilla
  • Options
    David_D said:

Planeis said:

David_D said:

Yes. Successful, but not as successful as projected.

In other words, below expectations. Which may be why MOS 2 has been replaced by a Batman team-up.
    You're the only person saying its below expectations. The only movies in the DCU its behind are The Dark Knight and Dark Knight Rise, two extremely successful movies. Its the second most successful movie of the summer, during one of the most competitive summers.... ever.

Politics of Box Office Expectations

The above article in Forbes the week before says Man of Steel was tracking between $75 and $100 million for its first weekend. The writer puts his own estimate at $117, which is basically exactly what it did, and earned $128 million over five days.

If its dissipointing, why are they letting Snyder keep the reigns?
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    @Planeis MOS had a great opening weekend. It beat tracking (though, remember, the whole context of that article is about how studios try to publicize their tracking that underestimates so that it can be perceived as a hit that beats expectations-- the old Scottie trick of overestimating and then overdelivering. So he is writing about how his estimate should be the real one. And he was right. It has an amazing opening weekend.

But then some disappointment came in the second weekend drop for MOS, and the drop since. Reporters who do this for a living were surprised by how far it dropped domestically in its second weekend, for example, Mendelson from Forbes who you linked to earlier. Here he is on the big second weekend drop and then shortly after that, he wrote a whole article on the problem a MOS 2 would face in kickstarting a larger universe of shared movies given what he called the "domestic rejection" of MOS. That second piece was somewhat prescient on his part, as it seems that WB solved the problem of audiences maybe being not as psyched for a MOS 2 as they hoped they would be: scrap that, and add Batman.

Again, I am not saying in any way that MOS flopped, or that it disappointed to the point where Snyder and Goyer are dropped from their three picture deal.

What I am saying, to quote the people that do this for a living, like the guy you linked to on expectations, is that the dropoff after a record opening weekend was steeper than anticipated, leading to a lower than anticipated overall performance (e.g. it still hasn't hit $300M. Oh, and the Kevin Hart stand-up movie beat it this weekend).

So, to be clear, I am not saying that Superman/Batman isn't a smart idea on WB's part. It is a good business move. It may even turn out to be a great creative move. We'll see. But given that before MOS opened Snyder and Goyer were announced to be fast-tracking a Man of Steel 2, and now they have changed that to Superman/Batman may say something about how Man of Steel performed and was received. It feels like they are walking back from an initial burst of confidence about Man of Steel as its own franchise
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    Wh

WetRats said:

Yes. Yes, they will.

When Batman shows up in the Avengers movie, the Internet will implode.
    :)
  • Options
    David_D said:

@Planeis MOS had a great opening weekend. It beat tracking (though, remember, the whole context of that article is about how studios try to publicize their tracking that underestimates so that it can be perceived as a hit that beats expectations-- the old Scottie trick of overestimating and then overdelivering. So he is writing about how his estimate should be the real one. And he was right. It has an amazing opening weekend.

But then some disappointment came in the second weekend drop for MOS, and the drop since. Reporters who do this for a living were surprised by how far it dropped domestically in its second weekend, for example, Mendelson from Forbes who you linked to earlier. Here he is on the big second weekend drop and then shortly after that, he wrote a whole article on the problem a MOS 2 would face in kickstarting a larger universe of shared movies given what he called the "domestic rejection" of MOS. That second piece was somewhat prescient on his part, as it seems that WB solved the problem of audiences maybe being not as psyched for a MOS 2 as they hoped they would be: scrap that, and add Batman.

Again, I am not saying in any way that MOS flopped, or that it disappointed to the point where Snyder and Goyer are dropped from their three picture deal.

What I am saying, to quote the people that do this for a living, like the guy you linked to on expectations, is that the dropoff after a record opening weekend was steeper than anticipated, leading to a lower than anticipated overall performance (e.g. it still hasn't hit $300M. Oh, and the Kevin Hart stand-up movie beat it this weekend).

So, to be clear, I am not saying that Superman/Batman isn't a smart idea on WB's part. It is a good business move. It may even turn out to be a great creative move. We'll see. But given that before MOS opened Snyder and Goyer were announced to be fast-tracking a Man of Steel 2, and now they have changed that to Superman/Batman may say something about how Man of Steel performed and was received. It feels like they are walking back from an initial burst of confidence about Man of Steel as its own franchise

I thoroughly read both pieces, and no where does he call it dissapointing or under performing. For the second weekend, he chalks its slide up to huge, huge, competition from WWZ and Monsters U. Which is exactly what boxofficemojo said during their second week wrap up. He also says this about MOS:

"The domestic numbers for Man of Steel are a bit complicated. So before I focus on what might be considered negative, let’s go over the positive. Man of Steel has $210 million in 10.25 days of domestic play. It’s already outgrossed $200 million+ totals of Batman Begins and Superman Returns and by next week it will have likely surpassed the $234 million total of X-Men: The Last Stand. When it surpasses the $250 million respective totals of Batman and Men In Black and the $262 million total of The Amazing Spider-Man, it will be, not accounting for inflation, the biggest non-sequel comic book adaptation outside of Iron Man ($318 million) and Spider-Man ($403 million)."

Nowhere in the second one is him talking about it being dissapointing. He's talking about a few examples highly lucrative first movies, that for some reason go on to not have very successful sequels. All he is doing is exploring the question of whether or not MOS will be well liked enough for people to say "I HAVE to see part 2". There won't be anyway to know until its out. If you applied this same reasoning to Batman Begins, we may never have gotten TDK, which is not only great (in my opinion anyway), but also one of the most successful movies ever.

You are putting your own dislike on this movie and hoping it under performs. That's why you mentioned the Kevin Hart movie, which only opened a little while ago. It doesn't make any sense for you to mention that.

Again, its the second most successful movie of the summer, during one of the most competitive summers.... ever.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    @planeis I find it interesting that I don't need to ascribe motive to you or accuse you of projecting. But you seem to need to.

People, if they care, can follow the links and read the pieces for themselves.

Of course, Mendelsohn starts one of those pieces with "The reason I've been somewhat hard on the domestic performance of Man of Steel..." which would indicate he might disagree with you. He seems to think he has been critical of how it performed.

But, again, if people are interested they can look into the numbers themselves. If you are going to see everything I say about it through a lens of me projecting rather than just interpreting what I am reading, then so be it. I can leave it to the experts on this to speak for themselves.
  • Options

Nice. Definitely a movie I'd avoid.

M
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    I have to say I'm not excited, I don't see how MOS's superman and DKR's Batman "teamup" I get that we're most likely not getting DKR's Batman but I'm not sure how MOS's superman coexists with any incarnation of Batman

except a batman with super powers and that thought scares me......like they'll try to "true blood" him

As for having a batman that's already been around they could do the been around for 5 years but no one knew pretty easily, there are a lot of comics where someone will say "batman? that's just a myth" he was even an urban legend in the bale movies for a while

the thing i am excited about would be a face off between batman and luthor but since neither one have been introduced, and no idea if luthor is even in it it makes me less excited that that might go wrong too

• Options
    Matt said:

M
    What if it was made for laughs. Sounds like it'd be hilarious.
  • Options
    Planeis said:

Matt said:

M
    What if it was made for laughs. Sounds like it'd be hilarious.
    I avoided the Brave & the Bold cartoon because it wasn't a serious version of Batman. There's no way this would be something to take any of my time.

M
  • Options
    Krescan said:

I have to say I'm not excited, I don't see how MOS's superman and DKR's Batman "teamup" I get that we're most likely not getting DKR's Batman but I'm not sure how MOS's superman coexists with any incarnation of Batman

except a batman with super powers and that thought scares me......like they'll try to "true blood" him

As for having a batman that's already been around they could do the been around for 5 years but no one knew pretty easily, there are a lot of comics where someone will say "batman? that's just a myth" he was even an urban legend in the bale movies for a while

the thing i am excited about would be a face off between batman and luthor but since neither one have been introduced, and no idea if luthor is even in it it makes me less excited that that might go wrong too

I think an urban myth Batman that's been around for a couple years would be the best way to go. Without the introduction of Kryptonite, only an experienced Batman & a rookie Supes would work. Supes has learned how to control his powers, but probably has seen how they can also be a weakness. An experienced Batman would know how to exploit that.

M
  • Options
    JaxUrJaxUr Posts: 547

I avoided the Brave & the Bold cartoon because it wasn't a serious version of Batman. There's no way this would be something to take any of my time.

M

Do yourself a favor and give Brave & Bold a chance. It's a treat! Batman doesn't always have to be a grim vigilante. It's a wonderful series that only got better as the seasons went along.
  • Options
    JaxUr said:

M

Do yourself a favor and give Brave & Bold a chance. It's a treat! Batman doesn't always have to be a grim vigilante. It's a wonderful series that only got better as the seasons went along.

The cape-to-jet pack moment made me realize its not for me. And for me to be interested, yes he does. Give me the Dark Knight Detective over the Caped Crusader any day of the week.

M
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Matt said:

JaxUr said:

Matt said:

M

The cape-to-jet pack moment made me realize its not for me. And for me to be interested, yes he does. Give me the Dark Knight Detective over the Caped Crusader any day of the week.

M
    There’s room in my heart for Dark Knight Detective and Caped Crusader. You’re just a Bat-Grinch! :P
  • Options

Matt said:

JaxUr said:

Matt said:

M

M
    There’s room in my heart for Dark Knight Detective and Caped Crusader. You’re just a Bat-Grinch! :P
    If that's the label I'm given to get the Batman I want to read, then guilty as charged. Luckily, I already have the hound dog to accompany me.

M
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Matt said:

Matt said:

JaxUr said:

Matt said:

M

M
    If that's the label I'm given to get the Batman I want to read, then guilty as charged. Luckily, I already have the hound dog to accompany me.

M
    Please tell me you didn’t saw the ears off a bat and tie them to his head.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I thought I read somewhere that the movie will be called Batman vs. Superman.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    the question then is: will Batman use ultrasonics on Superman?
  • Options
    luckymustardluckymustard Posts: 927
    Mr_Cosmic said:

I thought I read somewhere that the movie will be called Batman vs. Superman.

I saw that "speculation" in an article last night.