Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice (Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    David_D said:

I feel like I am repeating myself from the Wolverine discussion, but I would be game for an older Batman. Maybe a Batman with experience would allow this reboot to skip the origin/emergence story that we have seen so many times.

Brolin would be interesting. I think even when I was in my 20s I found most 20something actors boring. I tend to still feel that way.

My issue with a grizzled, older Batman is that you're limiting yourself with the new DC movie universe. I'm not saying the character should be the same age as Superman (and presumably the rest of the Justice League), but a 15 year gap just seems too much. I like Brolin's acting, but I'm going to have issues buying him as a 30-something Batman. It sounds as though they don't want a young Batman anyway. That's why I think this instance is different then Jackman as Wolverine.

M
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Matt said:

David_D said:

I feel like I am repeating myself from the Wolverine discussion, but I would be game for an older Batman. Maybe a Batman with experience would allow this reboot to skip the origin/emergence story that we have seen so many times.

Brolin would be interesting. I think even when I was in my 20s I found most 20something actors boring. I tend to still feel that way.

My issue with a grizzled, older Batman is that you're limiting yourself with the new DC movie universe. I'm not saying the character should be the same age as Superman (and presumably the rest of the Justice League), but a 15 year gap just seems too much. I like Brolin's acting, but I'm going to have issues buying him as a 30-something Batman. It sounds as though they don't want a young Batman anyway. That's why I think this instance is different then Jackman as Wolverine.

M
    I see your point, but I guess a more grizzled and experienced Batman in the Justice League mix makes sense to me, as next to those powerhouses the thing Batmam will bring to the table will be his brain and guile. Not that such elements can't come from a 30 year old. But to me it may be even more interesting if someone that has been doing this life without powers is teamed with/ mentoring/ keeping a close eye on this new breed of gods.
  • Options
    If it really is an older Batman... would that more easily allow Nightwing to get thrown into the mix quicker?
  • Options
    David_D said:

Matt said:

David_D said:

M
    I see your point, but I guess a more grizzled and experienced Batman in the Justice League mix makes sense to me, as next to those powerhouses the thing Batmam will bring to the table will be his brain and guile. Not that such elements can't come from a 30 year old. But to me it may be even more interesting if someone that has been doing this life without powers is teamed with/ mentoring/ keeping a close eye on this new breed of gods.
    Wouldn't that be like the cartoon Young Justice or Batman & the Outsiders? I always saw the Justice League as a group of peers with different skill sets as oppose to anyone being the elder statesman/mentor in the group.

Of course, with their new marketing angle (Batman v. Superman, Batman & the Green Lantern guy, Lethal Weapon 5, featuring Batman, etc), that's probably what they want.

M
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Matt said:

David_D said:

Matt said:

David_D said:

M
    Wouldn't that be like the cartoon Young Justice or Batman & the Outsiders? I always saw the Justice League as a group of peers with different skill sets as oppose to anyone being the elder statesman/mentor in the group.

Of course, with their new marketing angle (Batman v. Superman, Batman & the Green Lantern guy, Lethal Weapon 5, featuring Batman, etc), that's probably what they want.

M
    I never watched Young Justice and have only read a little bit of B&TO so I can't really compare.

I am not imagining that he would run the group like they were the Bat Family and he's the boss. Rather that he's been at this for awhile, and he is joining as much to keep an eye on them as anything else (sort of like Black Panthers relationship to the Avengers back in the day). That they might see him as a peer but he doesn't see them as peers yet. And maybe after they make some mistakes, he can speak from the experience he's had. He could mentor without having to sit in the wheelchair, you know what I mean?
  • Options
    David_D said:

Matt said:

David_D said:

Matt said:

David_D said:

M

M
    I never watched Young Justice and have only read a little bit of B&TO so I can't really compare.

I am not imagining that he would run the group like they were the Bat Family and he's the boss. Rather that he's been at this for awhile, and he is joining as much to keep an eye on them as anything else (sort of like Black Panthers relationship to the Avengers back in the day). That they might see him as a peer but he doesn't see them as peers yet. And maybe after they make some mistakes, he can speak from the experience he's had. He could mentor without having to sit in the wheelchair, you know what I mean?
    I've never watched Young Justice, only heard about it. Batman & The Outsiders was good, though.

I do see what you're saying, but I think it'll be conveyed like he's the mentor/leader. I'd rather they not make it seem like Batman & His Justice League.

M
  • Options
    As much as I'd like to see Bale back, not in this capacity. It'll feel like this continues the Dark Knight trilogy movie-verse.

http://batman-news.com/2013/08/09/christian-bale-reportedly-offered-50-million-to-return-in-batman-vs-superman/

M
  • Options
    blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/rumor-mark-strong-bryan-cranston-in-the-mix-for-lex-luthor-in-superman-vs-batman-20130809

Looks like someone was watching AMC, caught a promo for Breaking Bad and Low Winter Sun, and a nefarious bald guy light bulb went off in their head.

I like both Bryan Cranston and Mark Strong, but I don't know that I see either as Lex Luthor.
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    Matt said:

My concerns for this movie are continuing. They're considering actors in their 40s to play Batman. Josh Brolin is lead consideration. I guess the Justice League movie will be like the Young Justice cartoon. An older Batman overseeing younger heroes!

M

What's wrong with an actor in his 40's? Hugh Jackman plays an immortal mutant into his 40's.......
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Planeis said:

Matt said:

My concerns for this movie are continuing. They're considering actors in their 40s to play Batman. Josh Brolin is lead consideration. I guess the Justice League movie will be like the Young Justice cartoon. An older Batman overseeing younger heroes!

M

What's wrong with an actor in his 40's? Hugh Jackman plays an immortal mutant into his 40's.......
    No, it seems like my point is being overshadowed by the Jackman/Wolverine conversation.

If an actor in his 50s can pull of a 30 something Batman, that's great. Cast him. My concerns is that they want an aged BATMAN (NOT aged ACTOR) for the movie. I would greatly prefer a BATMAN (again, not necessarily actor) who's about the same age as Superman (and presumably) Justice League. If they said the GL in this movie will be a character in his 50s, I'd disagree with that also. I don't want an 20-something actor "aged up" to look like he's in his 40s/50s to have a 'grizzled, older' look, either.

Its not who's playing Batman that concerns me, but the age of the character. Completely different from your, @Planeis, concerns about an aged Jackman (actor) playing a ageless character.

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

Planeis said:

Matt said:

M

No, it seems like my point is being overshadowed by the Jackman/Wolverine conversation.

If an actor in his 50s can pull of a 30 something Batman, that's great. Cast him. My concerns is that they want an aged BATMAN (NOT aged ACTOR) for the movie. I would greatly prefer a BATMAN (again, not necessarily actor) who's about the same age as Superman (and presumably) Justice League. If they said the GL in this movie will be a character in his 50s, I'd disagree with that also. I don't want an 20-something actor "aged up" to look like he's in his 40s/50s to have a 'grizzled, older' look, either.

Its not who's playing Batman that concerns me, but the age of the character. Completely different from your, @Planeis, concerns about an aged Jackman (actor) playing a ageless character.

M
    So you don't care how old the actor is, so long as the characters are forever in their 30's?
  • Options
    Planeis said:

Matt said:

Planeis said:

Matt said:

M

M
    So you don't care how old the actor is, so long as the characters are forever in their 30's?
    Not necessarily. Batman/Bruce Wayne should be about the same as as Superman. It was established THIS Superman is 33 years old. Batman should be about that age, not 10-15 years older. If they're going to try to recreate the DKR feel & fight (which they can't at this stage), then I'd expect the other JLA-ers to be 10-15 years older then Superman. If THATS the plan, then go with it.

Having Batman as the grizzled elder statesman is wrong. It sounds like they want to recreate the fight of DKR, but that can't happen with the history the 2 had in the comics.

So, to answer your question, if an actor (despite his age), looks on par as the same age as the other JLA-ers (separating from Supes because of his superpowered youth), then yes, Batman should look in his 30s. If the Leaguers are to be much older then Superman, then no, Batman shouldn't look forever in his 30s.

THIS is the movie that's going to lead into the DC movie-verse. Its going to set the tone for the JLA. Plus, it'll set the relaunch Batman franchise. Why pigeon hole yourself with a Batman playing the back 9 of his career instead of in the middle of the front 9?

M
  • Options
    So that a Robin/Nightwing can take over?
  • Options

That seems very premature in the movie universe.

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

M
    What if its Bale and JGL?
  • Options
    Planeis said:

Matt said:

M
    What if its Bale and JGL?
    Nope. JGL was set up to take the mantle of Batman, not Nightwing. Bale was amazing as Bruce Wayne & Batman, BUT bringing him and/or JGL continues The Dark Knight trilogy. I think that trilogy to completely stand on its own. I would prefer neither appear in JLA.

M
  • Options
    What if it's someone else and JGL? There was that rumor, posted above, about Bale being offerred the role.
  • Options

What if it's someone else and JGL? There was that rumor, posted above, about Bale being offerred the role.

Having Bale and/or JGL in the new movie universe would mean TDK trilogy is continuity. Nolan was adamant that the trilogy isn't in the same universe.

For my tastes, making TDK trilogy apart of this new universe causes too many corner painting issues. Plus, it'd be like TDKSA's negative effects on DKR.

M
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    I dont want Bale nor do I want JGL. I want a new and diffferent approach than what they and Nolan provided... and I want a different suit damn it! lol.
  • Options
    tazmaniaktazmaniak Posts: 733
    Looks like it's Ben Affleck as Batman.

Deadline
  • Options
    tazmaniak said:

Deadline

Really? As much as I don't hate Ben Affleck... Batman just doesn't seem like a good fit... Though I guess this would put him back in contention for directing Justice League (He had turned it down before) which could be good. Still.. can't see him as Batman.
  • Options
    tazmaniak said:

Deadline

Hhmmmmm... I actually like Affleck (in general). To me this is similar to casting Rryan Reynolds as Green Lantern... not perfect but could be worse. We'll see I guess. I think a lesser known would be better and I have doubts this will happen.
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    If this was pre the Town, pre Argo Affleck I'd be a little more concerned. Now it's a choice I'm okay with. Two things, I hope he still gets to direct projects like Argo or the Town. And it was rumored some months ago he was going to direct the Justice League movie, maybe that's in his future
  • Options
    JaxUrJaxUr Posts: 547

Ben Affleck has been cast as Batman/Bruce Wayne in the Man of Steel sequel. I can't wait to hear what the CGS crew thinks.

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/08/22/ben-affleck-batman/
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Matt's gonna splode! :!!
  • Options
    kiwijasekiwijase Posts: 451
    Awesome! Just dust off the old Daredevil costume, spray paint it black, add a cape and utility belt, VOILA!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited August 2013
    And remember... in Hollywoodland, he was George Reeves, so he was TECHNICALLY Superman. I remember there was a big fuss from WB about the Superman costume being used, and they filmed it without the S shield.., and added it digitally when WB ok'd it.
  • Options
    After those Joel Schumacher films, I don't complain about anything.
  • Options
    In just shocked he accepted. I'm betting they made one hell of a deal with him. Probably offered the keys to the kingdom to make all the pet projects he wants for many years.