Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice (Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Many European newspapers seem to believe in that "speculation" this morning.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457

Matt said:

Matt said:

JaxUr said:

Matt said:

I avoided the Brave & the Bold cartoon because it wasn't a serious version of Batman. There's no way this would be something to take any of my time.

M

Do yourself a favor and give Brave & Bold a chance. It's a treat! Batman doesn't always have to be a grim vigilante. It's a wonderful series that only got better as the seasons went along.
    The cape-to-jet pack moment made me realize its not for me. And for me to be interested, yes he does. Give me the Dark Knight Detective over the Caped Crusader any day of the week.

M
    There’s room in my heart for Dark Knight Detective and Caped Crusader. You’re just a Bat-Grinch! :P
    If that's the label I'm given to get the Batman I want to read, then guilty as charged. Luckily, I already have the hound dog to accompany me.

M
    Please tell me you didn’t saw the ears off a bat and tie them to his head.
    Nope...I did the whole Tonto/Depp look for Flash (our dog) with the bat!

M
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Matt said:

Matt said:

I'd be more excited if Zack and Goyer weren't attached to it, based on Man Of Steel; their inclusion just gives me more trepidations. I'm far more excited about the Avengers announcement than I am about this -- and I really wanted to be excited about it.

Whom ever disagreed, please post why. I welcome the dissenting opinion, but cannot have a discussion (or understanding) if there's no counter.

M
    Sorry. That was me. As to the nature of said disagreement, see our page after page of MOS discussion.

I consider his interpretation of the character to be neither great nor refreshing.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Matt said:

Matt said:

I'd be more excited if Zack and Goyer weren't attached to it, based on Man Of Steel; their inclusion just gives me more trepidations. I'm far more excited about the Avengers announcement than I am about this -- and I really wanted to be excited about it.

Whom ever disagreed, please post why. I welcome the dissenting opinion, but cannot have a discussion (or understanding) if there's no counter.

M
    Sorry. That was me. As to the nature of said disagreement, see our page after page of MOS discussion.

I consider his interpretation of the character to be neither great nor refreshing.
    That's A LOT of prior posts to reread! LOL.

M
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200

Many European newspapers seem to believe in that "speculation" this morning.

Speculation no more:
    Goyer said the following at the Superman 75th Anniversary Panel, but the reveal was drowned out in the craziness of the day's bigger Hall H panels: “We aren’t sure if the title will be Batman Vs Superman or Superman Vs Batman, but they will face off.”
  • Options
    Do not know how to feel about any of this yet.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    I love a good face off >-)
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    I see plenty of potential in this - and to be honest, I always figured it had to come to this at some point...maybe not this soon, but I'm not gonna bitch about that. I am NOT getting any younger and they're finally making movies I'd always wanted to see when I was a kid.

Some thoughts:
    1) Batman vs. Superman - why not? MoS portrayed Superman as an alien and nobody's 100% certain whose side he'd be on. Throw in the most paranoid fictional character this side of Marvin and it's only natural that they'd come to a head. And of course there's the eventual "We're fighting on the same side!" and the setup for the Justice League movie.

2) Of course Batman couldn't take out Superman in a straight on fight no matter what Frank Miller tells you. There too, a certain glowing green element hasn't been introduced to the Snyder-verse yet. I'm willing to bet the world's greatest detective would be the person to introduce it. ("You know you can't beat me!"/"No. I can't...but I'm willing to bet THIS can!")

3) You really want to have fun. Keep Batman in the suit the entire time and don't reveal who the actor is. They'll never do this, of course, but that would solidify this as the MoS sequel.

4) Why stop at Batman? Throw a Flash cameo in there. Mention Themiscyra. Have Ollie Queen show up. Bring in the threat of a Thanagarian invasion that the World's Finest duo have to team up to stop. Bring Kara out of hiding from that empty sarcophagus. I say Kudos to them for doing a little universe building with this movie.

This movie will never please everyone. As David D. said, though, that's not going to stop me from going to see it.
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

I see plenty of potential in this - and to be honest, I always figured it had to come to this at some point...maybe not this soon, but I'm not gonna bitch about that. I am NOT getting any younger and they're finally making movies I'd always wanted to see when I was a kid.

Some thoughts:
    1) Batman vs. Superman - why not? MoS portrayed Superman as an alien and nobody's 100% certain whose side he'd be on. Throw in the most paranoid fictional character this side of Marvin and it's only natural that they'd come to a head. And of course there's the eventual "We're fighting on the same side!" and the setup for the Justice League movie.

2) Of course Batman couldn't take out Superman in a straight on fight no matter what Frank Miller tells you. There too, a certain glowing green element hasn't been introduced to the Snyder-verse yet. I'm willing to bet the world's greatest detective would be the person to introduce it. ("You know you can't beat me!"/"No. I can't...but I'm willing to bet THIS can!")

3) You really want to have fun. Keep Batman in the suit the entire time and don't reveal who the actor is. They'll never do this, of course, but that would solidify this as the MoS sequel.

4) Why stop at Batman? Throw a Flash cameo in there. Mention Themiscyra. Have Ollie Queen show up. Bring in the threat of a Thanagarian invasion that the World's Finest duo have to team up to stop. Bring Kara out of hiding from that empty sarcophagus. I say Kudos to them for doing a little universe building with this movie.

This movie will never please everyone. As David D. said, though, that's not going to stop me from going to see it.

Define the "straight fight." Fisticuffs, no, but I still bet on Batman to win in a fight even without the K. He's a dirty fighter, Supes isn't.

M
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Matt said:

Matt said:

Matt said:

JaxUr said:

Matt said:

I avoided the Brave & the Bold cartoon because it wasn't a serious version of Batman. There's no way this would be something to take any of my time.

M

Do yourself a favor and give Brave & Bold a chance. It's a treat! Batman doesn't always have to be a grim vigilante. It's a wonderful series that only got better as the seasons went along.
    The cape-to-jet pack moment made me realize its not for me. And for me to be interested, yes he does. Give me the Dark Knight Detective over the Caped Crusader any day of the week.

M
    There’s room in my heart for Dark Knight Detective and Caped Crusader. You’re just a Bat-Grinch! :P
    If that's the label I'm given to get the Batman I want to read, then guilty as charged. Luckily, I already have the hound dog to accompany me.

M
    Please tell me you didn’t saw the ears off a bat and tie them to his head.
    Nope...I did the whole Tonto/Depp look for Flash (our dog) with the bat!

M
    This Halloween I expect to see pictures of Flash dressed as Tonto. Make it so.
  • Options
    Matt said:

Define the "straight fight." Fisticuffs, no, but I still bet on Batman to win in a fight even without the K. He's a dirty fighter, Supes isn't.

Neck-breaking seems pretty damn dirty to me. :-t
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Matt said:

Ah yes, but a dirty fighter does scream & cry like a little girl after fighting dirty. LOL

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

WetRats said:

Matt said:

Ah yes, but a dirty fighter does scream & cry like a little girl after fighting dirty. LOL

M
    Point.
  • Options
    I'm saying in a straight on fight, blow to blow, the fight is over in one punch, I don't care how much anyone loves Batman. To quote Blue Beetle..."One...Punch!" :)

Of course Batman will fight dirty, but it only takes one punch to take him out. Superman is capable of faster-than-the-eye-can-see travel. Batman only wins if he has time to prepare for it. In their first meeting? Not even a contest.

Hence the idea that we introduce kryptonite to the Snyderverse via Waynetech. They find a strange glowing green substance around the area where his fortress of solitude emerged. Bruce Wayne/Batman figures out what it is. And now it's payback time.
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

I'm saying in a straight on fight, blow to blow, the fight is over in one punch, I don't care how much anyone loves Batman. To quote Blue Beetle..."One...Punch!" :)

Of course Batman will fight dirty, but it only takes one punch to take him out. Superman is capable of faster-than-the-eye-can-see travel. Batman only wins if he has time to prepare for it. In their first meeting? Not even a contest.

Hence the idea that we introduce kryptonite to the Snyderverse via Waynetech. They find a strange glowing green substance around the area where his fortress of solitude emerged. Bruce Wayne/Batman figures out what it is. And now it's payback time.

With those parameters, then I'd occur with the fight's conclusion.

M

• Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    Matt said:

A winner emerges and you'd materialize!?

I'd pay to see that!
  • Options

Matt said:

I'd pay to see that!
    Ducking autocorrect!

M
  • Options
    PaulPaul Posts: 169
    I've seen a lot of people talk about the Flash movie as being a done deal. However, it hasn't been announced, and most of the "news" stories that are talking about it all reference one another and trace back to the same Hollywood Reporter article that counted it as a rumour. Great, now rumours count as announcements. Now everything that spews forth from Dick Johnson's keyboard is gospel. Groan.

They were developing it in earnest before Green Lantern, but I think that is what stalled it, because there's been little talk about it since. I'm sure they can put a dark and gritty spin on it though, but this doesn't sound like it's a sure thing to happen.

As to the assertions of Man of Steel's success. Yes, it did have a record breaking opening weekend, but it also dropped off by 65% the following weekend. There's no spin on that number, and it's quite obvious that this is why they're bringing Batman in. As much as many of us may complain about the Bat coming into everything, the reality is, he sells. A 65% drop off is the kind of thing that has executives contemplating that ledge on the window of their corner office. Especially when it's followed by another 50% drop, then 45% and so on.

Even so, that opening weekend was enough to let it hold onto the number 2 spot for the summer thus far, and the number 1 movie, Iron Man 3's 59% drop off after opening weekend was not far off the decline in MOS. It's landed in the black, and that's good for Snyder and Goyer, clearly enough to keep their jobs.
  • Options
    PaulPaul Posts: 169

Matt said:

I'd pay to see that!
    This has taken a sudden existential turn. ;)
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    Someone's getting awfully free with that 'Off-Topic' button again.
  • Options
    edited July 2013

Apparently amusemebt at ty[os/autocorrecttions is fromned upon.*

*The above is typical first-pass WetRats typing.
  • Options

Apparently someone is on their anonymous high horse!

M
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    Some dude supposedly did a screen test

I aint putting faith in any rumors for a loooooong time. Websites are going to be looking for any shred of a rumor to get their hands on some quick hits.
  • Options
    Eric_CEric_C Posts: 263
    I'm not overly optimistic about this..........
  • Options
    My concerns for this movie are continuing. They're considering actors in their 40s to play Batman. Josh Brolin is lead consideration. I guess the Justice League movie will be like the Young Justice cartoon. An older Batman overseeing younger heroes!

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

My concerns for this movie are continuing. They're considering actors in their 40s to play Batman. Josh Brolin is lead consideration. I guess the Justice League movie will be like the Young Justice cartoon. An older Batman overseeing younger heroes!

M

I share your skepticism.
  • Options
    I think the real problem is the same team is on the screen play.
  • Options
    Age in Hollywood is irrelevant. How many teenager movies feature 20-30 year olds as the "teens"? With Batman it's not so much how old the guy *is* but how old he appears. We don't want a Bruce Wayne who's older looking than Alfred. :)
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

Age in Hollywood is irrelevant. How many teenager movies feature 20-30 year olds as the "teens"? With Batman it's not so much how old the guy *is* but how old he appears. We don't want a Bruce Wayne who's older looking than Alfred. :)

The info I've read stated they want Batman to be older with a "grizzled" look. I'm hoping they don't pull too much from The Dark Knight Returns. I feel we got it from TDKR.

M
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    I feel like I am repeating myself from the Wolverine discussion, but I would be game for an older Batman. Maybe a Batman with experience would allow this reboot to skip the origin/emergence story that we have seen so many times.

Brolin would be interesting. I think even when I was in my 20s I found most 20something actors boring. I tend to still feel that way.